Mcd says we haven't got any cash....

723 posts
Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Mcd says we haven't got any cash....

by Terminal Boardom » 10 Aug 2010 17:17

So what is the point? I fully understand the need to keep the club solvent. That is the number 1 priority. But isn't it strange that the club, having extracted £,000s out of supporters in the way of STs now say that this is all we have. The sooner the daft old coot is genuine in finding someone responsible to take over, the better. He has got his publicity, his shiny ego-dome and his knighthood. What more does he need a Football Club? He has the Station development to keep his halo shining. And a massive ROFL to everyone thinking that we were genuine promotion contenders this year. The daft old coot got scared when SSC took us up in 2006. He sure as hell doesn't want to go back as it will cost him too much. Time to move on and time for supporters of this fine, old club to get some realistic expectations.

You know it makes SENSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Aug 2010 17:17

Hoop Blah
brendywendy of course, this could be the annual, or bi annual RFC have no money plea, in order to drive down price of our targets

I don't think that argument has ever held much weight to be fair.

Those we're negotiating with will have a pretty realistic view of our budgets and a little bit of PR in the local or national media won't pull the wool over their eyes.

but we have said it every transfer window since i remember, and still bought people

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Aug 2010 17:19

Hoop Blah If we were to sell anymore of our first team squad (ie those in contention for a place on Saturday and not the likes of Mooney or Davies) and didn't make any significant replacements then I'll be on the phone to the club asking for a refund on my ST.

I don't mind the club being run on a tight budget, I don't mind us losing our better players, I'll even watch us whichever league we're in and irrespective of how shite we are.

I won't let the club just take my money and bend me over backwards with talk of ambition though. The only way I can then display my displeasure is by returning my ST.

i just dont get this.

did you buy it on the back of chairmans comments?
tbf i get mine cos i like watching footy, and enjoy the rollwercoaster nature of it all.
success is transient,fleeting and mostly irrelevant

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 10 Aug 2010 17:34

As happens virtually every year, I am in agreement, yet again, with those who are unhappy with Mr Mad spouting the usual "ambition....blah blah....premiership....blah blah" that he churns out with increasing regularity.

How refreshing it would be for the chairman to just say, "we don't have enough spare cash around, despite selling a few players, to mount a proper challenge for the Premiership. I would only want us to be in the Prem if we can try and ensure a few years there. We are not in a position where we can spend no money and still cut it in the prem, therefore, with the club increasingly being self sufficient and run on a modest budget, our main aim is to secure championship football for the foreseeable future. I am sure many of our fans, having seen what has happened to far bigger clubs in the recent past, would rather we are able to maintain a position in the second tier, rather than risking all and ending up far lower for years to come". Or something.

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 10 Aug 2010 17:39

How about we sell Fedders to bring Zurab/any CB in?

We have 3 quality keepers available, and I'm sure we could get £1.5m for him and there really wouldn't be a backlash from the fans.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 10 Aug 2010 17:41

lol at the same Madejski bashing thread appearing every year :lol:

You would have thought that the state of Pompey, Hull, Cardiff etc would open a few peoples eyes :roll:

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 10 Aug 2010 17:42

But you can reach the Prem without spending money. Isn't that what Reading have done in the past and what Blackpool did last season? You can have ambition if you spend wisely...

though obviously if you have the money to buy in proven talent you would hope you stood a more solid chance of promotion but that's by no means guaranteed and risky if you fail and can't fund the fallout from it.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Aug 2010 17:45

brendy, I don't buy my season ticket on the back of Madejski's comments no. I've had one longer than he's been at the club so obviously that's not the case. I also think he's been excellent for the club and think he pretty much runs it the way it should be run.

I did say that I'd look to get a refund if we sold our key players without replacing them. I never expected this season to be one of high expenditure and a top 4 transfer budget. I do expect us to attempt to remain competitive, and it we go down the route of selling someone like McAnuff to QPR then we're not doing that.

If Sigurdsson ended up going now to a lower Premiership club then that would be slightly different, but we do have to look to build a competitive squad.

If we don't then I'll feel the need to register my displeasure. Making a fuss about sending back my ST after 20 years is the only way I can do that.

Dirk, I didn't expect us to have loads of money to splash around no, but I didn't expect us to go into the season with 2 fit centre backs either.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 10 Aug 2010 17:47

I was certainly not Madejski bashing and think he has been a great Chairman for us but in my earlier post was simply pointing out that we need one CB and that it should cost about £400K for a loan. I think that is a worthwhile gamble - however tight the purse strings, as if we do not go up at the end of this season some of our quality young players will want to move on in any case. This might be our last chance to go up for some years ahead.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 10 Aug 2010 17:47

I feel for McD as he is the first Reading manager in many years who really has been given virtually no money at all to buy players. He is having to make do with what he has.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 10 Aug 2010 17:53

I dont think we will ever be near the Prem again,still Scunthorpe has spent nothing and look at them :lol:

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 10 Aug 2010 17:53

To be fair whatever has been said publicly in past season we have always brought in players if we have really needed them. We definitely NEED a CB now and in all truth I will be absolutely astounded if we have not signed another one before the loan window closes.

If we seriously try to make do with what we have we are pretty much stuffed I would have thought.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Aug 2010 17:53

Sarah Star But you can reach the Prem without spending money. Isn't that what Reading have done in the past and what Blackpool did last season? You can have ambition if you spend wisely...

though obviously if you have the money to buy in proven talent you would hope you stood a more solid chance of promotion but that's by no means guaranteed and risky if you fail and can't fund the fallout from it.

Last season Blackpool signed plenty of players, including £500k on Charlie Adam plus the free transfers (but, I presume, relatively costly wages) of Euell and Bouazza and loans of some decent players that again probably would've cost them a bit of money.

They were by no means high spenders, but they certainly spent some money.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Aug 2010 17:54

Terminal Boardom So what is the point? I fully understand the need to keep the club solvent. That is the number 1 priority. But isn't it strange that the club, having extracted £,000s out of supporters in the way of STs now say that this is all we have. The sooner the daft old coot is genuine in finding someone responsible to take over, the better. He has got his publicity, his shiny ego-dome and his knighthood. What more does he need a Football Club? He has the Station development to keep his halo shining. And a massive ROFL to everyone thinking that we were genuine promotion contenders this year. The daft old coot got scared when SSC took us up in 2006. He sure as hell doesn't want to go back as it will cost him too much. Time to move on and time for supporters of this fine, old club to get some realistic expectations.

You know it makes SENSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

hes owed millions of pounds?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Aug 2010 17:56

Sarah Star But you can reach the Prem without spending money. Isn't that what Reading have done in the past and what Blackpool did last season? You can have ambition if you spend wisely...

agreed

05/06 team cost <5 million to assemble, the most expensive of which was the 1 million pound gift of lita from JM

Clacka

by Clacka » 10 Aug 2010 17:57

We do need to be careful. I'm living in Portsmouth at the moment, and whilst our situation isn't on the same scale as Pompey's, it's a stark indicator of what can happen. They're f*cked, and the fans are truly seeing the results of spending what you don't have. It's not nice to be around, believe me

Maybe it's just time to batten down the hatches and consolidate what we've got. The team still has the same passion, and to be honest most of the same players, as last season. It would be lovely to have Zurab, but his wage bill is massive. Ivar will be back soon, and whilst he's not getting any younger, he knows what he's doing. Look at the ages of the Italian defenders... Noel will hopefully be back soon to (hopefully) which will give our attack a bit more bite.

Lets keep some optimism here, assuming we keep hold of certain players, we still have one of the best attacking midfields in the league...

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 10 Aug 2010 18:02

how many times have the club come out and said there is no money and then duly spent????

we will sign a centre back and LOL at the impatience and total unrealism of some on here, in fact it annoys me so much i will go so far to say why don't the Madejski and general Reading FC bashers just fuck off.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 10 Aug 2010 18:06

Clacka We do need to be careful. I'm living in Portsmouth at the moment, and whilst our situation isn't on the same scale as Pompey's, it's a stark indicator of what can happen. They're f*cked, and the fans are truly seeing the results of spending what you don't have. It's not nice to be around, believe me

Maybe it's just time to batten down the hatches and consolidate what we've got. The team still has the same passion, and to be honest most of the same players, as last season. It would be lovely to have Zurab, but his wage bill is massive. Ivar will be back soon, and whilst he's not getting any younger, he knows what he's doing. Look at the ages of the Italian defenders... Noel will hopefully be back soon to (hopefully) which will give our attack a bit more bite.

Lets keep some optimism here, assuming we keep hold of certain players, we still have one of the best attacking midfields in the league...

Yes but that is no good if you let too many in. Ingi is out for some time yet. Mills is now out for weeks so we only have Pearce and presumably Gunnar as first choice CB's. I am sure Gunnar will do a good job but it is a lot to expect him to keep it up for 4 or 5 gamnes. If one of them gets injured I assume Rasiak will have to do a turn. That is worrying by any standard.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 10 Aug 2010 18:09

Why don't we all chip in 20 quid?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Aug 2010 18:15

Focher how many times have the club come out and said there is no money and then duly spent????

we will sign a centre back and LOL at the impatience and total unrealism of some on here, in fact it annoys me so much i will go so far to say why don't the Madejski and general Reading FC bashers just fuck off.

Who's bashing anyone? And who'd being impatient and not saying they'll wait and see how this pans out?

723 posts