Torquay away OFFICIAL match thread

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Torquay away OFFICIAL match thread

by Big Foot » 12 Aug 2010 09:17

RG30 Credit to TROLI who succesfully managed to get us home in one piece (and in record time 8) ). Quite sureal, Rasiak scores, a surge (nothing major) celebrating with Alex Pearce who is going bonkers in front of the wall before it gives way leaving plenty of people lying on the ground,but fortunately it appeared everyone was ok.

Good lad Alex Pearce, although no matter how many beserk goal celebrations he does he'll still forever be from Oxford :P

Isaac Hunt

by Isaac Hunt » 12 Aug 2010 09:52

Stranded Whilst there is always a concern when a side doesn't perform against lower division opposition - the fact is we didn't join the list of CCC casualties that went out this week and that can only be a positive.

Exactly. This was a no lose game for Torquay, just the proverbial banana skin for us. Clean sheet too. On to Saturday.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 12 Aug 2010 10:25

Royalee Rasiak saves the day...that Rasiak who Reading fans most want to get rid of, I wish he was as good as Shane Long.

Create chances and Rasiak will put them away. The problem is when you are looking for a bit of creativity, some craft in a tight game, he's too often not the right man for the job. Happy with us keeping him, as a joint-third option with Long (depending on circs) behind Church and Hunt.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 12 Aug 2010 10:37

CMRoyal
Royalee Rasiak saves the day...that Rasiak who Reading fans most want to get rid of, I wish he was as good as Shane Long.

Create chances and Rasiak will put them away. The problem is when you are looking for a bit of creativity, some craft in a tight game, he's too often not the right man for the job. Happy with us keeping him, as a joint-third option with Long (depending on circs) behind Church and Hunt.

I was highly bemused to see Rasiak playing as a lone striker last night after Bignall got replaced by Karacan. Think you're spot on with your assessment of him and indeed our strikers level of preference.

Still Hate Futcher!

by Still Hate Futcher! » 12 Aug 2010 10:44

Barry the bird boggler That was dreadful. A fairly strong team from Reading dominated but failed to created anything of any note against a good well organised Torquay side who hit the post very late on and therefore could have done us before Rasiak's last minute thing that he did.

Personally I find this worrying that a team that is supposed to posses such tricky wingers and great attacking pace failed to delever anything of real note for the second game running. I have real fear for this based on what I have witnessed so far and with our bogey team next up we could be on our way to the bottom three before the month is out.

And we do so desperately need a centre back with pace... still with our ambition (and even less money) that won't be a problem will it.

Bit early to write us off isn't it? There's no doubt we are weaker defensively than we were at the end of last season but we still have plenty of goals in us regardless of the fact we've struggled for them this week. I still think we'll finish the season closer to the top 3 than the bottom 3.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 12 Aug 2010 11:47

Fubar
Avon Royal LOL at fan surge!

Wall collapsed.Apparently no injuries

RIP Nick Robinson

did not know he was a Reading fan though.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 12 Aug 2010 11:52

Still Hate Futcher!
Barry the bird boggler That was dreadful. A fairly strong team from Reading dominated but failed to created anything of any note against a good well organised Torquay side who hit the post very late on and therefore could have done us before Rasiak's last minute thing that he did.

Personally I find this worrying that a team that is supposed to posses such tricky wingers and great attacking pace failed to delever anything of real note for the second game running. I have real fear for this based on what I have witnessed so far and with our bogey team next up we could be on our way to the bottom three before the month is out.

And we do so desperately need a centre back with pace... still with our ambition (and even less money) that won't be a problem will it.

Bit early to write us off isn't it? There's no doubt we are weaker defensively than we were at the end of last season but we still have plenty of goals in us regardless of the fact we've struggled for them this week. I still think we'll finish the season closer to the top 3 than the bottom 3.

Quite, and it's very silly to make such a negative forecast on our chances given Torquay's good form, strength at home, and the fact that they'll have been more up for the game than we were.

We won, which is a damn sight better than quite a few other championship clubs, with a very understrength team. Let's wait a few more weeks before going all doom and gloom.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 12 Aug 2010 11:54

Isaac Hunt
Stranded Whilst there is always a concern when a side doesn't perform against lower division opposition - the fact is we didn't join the list of CCC casualties that went out this week and that can only be a positive.

Exactly. This was a no lose game for Torquay, just the proverbial banana skin for us. Clean sheet too. On to Saturday.

Torquay looked solid and well-organised.

But we played to their strengths. What was disappointing was that there was nothing that looked like it could change the game - what pace we had up front was slightly naive, the midfield didn't really get on the ball. A lot of sloppy play meant we had the ball but did very little with it.

I know they're young but I did not think much of the youngsters - willing, fast but utterly clueless.

We didn't really play to Rasiak's strengths - give him things to attack in the 6 yard box and he'll tend to get a toe to them. In spite of his size, he's not a target man aiming to link up play.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Aug 2010 21:08

I went to bed at 90 minutes because it and we sounded utter shit. Who says you can't get a good feel for a game from radio commentary.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Aug 2010 00:21

Ian Royal I went to bed at 90 minutes because it and we sounded utter shit. Who says you can't get a good feel for a game from radio commentary.

you went to bed at 9:30? are you a milkman?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 13 Aug 2010 10:05

His IBS may have been playing up.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Aug 2010 10:39

papereyes What was disappointing was that there was nothing that looked like it could change the game - what pace we had up front was slightly naive, the midfield didn't really get on the ball. A lot of sloppy play meant we had the ball but did very little with it.

I know they're young but I did not think much of the youngsters - willing, fast but utterly clueless.

This is why I would've preferred to seen Henry get more of a run of games. He might not be as explosive as a Kanu or Antonio, but he's got a proper technique, can pass and cross the ball excellently and further more has that vision to see pass as well as make it.

Having the awareness of whats going on around him, and the technique and understanding to make the most of it, is what sets Sigurdsson apart from the rest of them.

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 13 Aug 2010 19:41

leon
Ian Royal I went to bed at 90 minutes because it and we sounded utter shit. Who says you can't get a good feel for a game from radio commentary.

he works for a company that make Water Butts.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Aug 2010 20:34

leon

Intense physical workshop for the last 2 weeks with a long commute to and from London every day. As a few of my delightful customers from my job have told me, I "just sit on my arse doing nothing all day", so running all over the place for longer hours than I normally work is wiping me out. I have two physical exams tomorrow to finish the course so I need to be relatively fresh to hammer it then.