1419 posts
Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Gylfi is leaving Reading

by Arch » 31 Aug 2010 05:06

rabidbee
sandman
rabidbee players in the Bayern team for the 2010 UEFA Champion's League Final?

Five and a Spaniard and Pole masquerading as Germans actually. :wink:

Not what Wiki says.
Pretty close in terms of people who actually played. The bit about the Spaniard is poetic license, no question.

Paul Cowin

by Paul Cowin » 31 Aug 2010 07:00

getreading.com says he has DEFINATELY gone now.

and there is talk of Feds going to Fulham on the same website should Fulham sell Schwarzer to Arsenal

Pheeew

If I was a sesaon ticket holder I would not be happy. :cry:

and what will the club do about all those people that have "The Sig" on the back of their new kit.

Refund I hope

No mention of any of this on the official Reading website

Mid table mediocrity is looming this year I fear

hiro

by hiro » 31 Aug 2010 07:03

I was about to order new Reading kit with Sig's name on the back. I am sorry to any URZ who have already done so.

Icon has left us even he was not handing transfer request or anything..
So depressed and I feel that this is the moment our 2010-11 season has ended.

Finchley Royal

by Finchley Royal » 31 Aug 2010 07:44

hiro I was about to order new Reading kit with Sig's name on the back. I am sorry to any URZ who have already done so.

I know how you feel. I wish that I hadn't had "Gylfi Sigurdsson" tattooed on my cock now.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 31 Aug 2010 08:29

There is no way we could, or should, have turned down £6m for Gylfi - that doesn't make it any less gutting though.

Is a real shame that the best we can hope for this season is mid-table nothingness. Yawn.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 31 Aug 2010 08:43

meh, it's football, it happens. Move on.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Aug 2010 08:47

I'm surprised people are that shocked - if the fee of £6m quoted by Sky is correct then there is no club at our level that would turn that down.

We are at a level whereby we will need to sell a star name occasionally in order to strengthen overall. If we get a new striker and a defender on the back of this it will be an excellent bit of business.

So many people have been clamouring for us to play 4-4-2, the reason we haven't been is to allow us to play Glyfi in a position where he can have an impact - he very rarely had that out wide and isn't (in my mind) suited to a role in a 4 man midfield - he was always going to leave (if not now then in Jan or next summer) and we've got the best deal possible.

No player is bigger that the club and perversely by getting rid of our best player we could still end up with a stronger more balanced squad/team.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 31 Aug 2010 08:50

rabidbee
LOL at choosing Reading over the Bundesliga.

Quite.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 31 Aug 2010 08:51

Stranded I'm surprised people are that shocked - if the fee of £6m quoted by Sky is correct then there is no club at our level that would turn that down.

We are at a level whereby we will need to sell a star name occasionally in order to strengthen overall. If we get a new striker and a defender on the back of this it will be an excellent bit of business.

So many people have been clamouring for us to play 4-4-2, the reason we haven't been is to allow us to play Glyfi in a position where he can have an impact - he very rarely had that out wide and isn't (in my mind) suited to a role in a 4 man midfield - he was always going to leave (if not now then in Jan or next summer) and we've got the best deal possible.

No player is bigger that the club and perversely by getting rid of our best player we could still end up with a stronger more balanced squad/team.

+1. £4-6m for an "unproven" (at top level) talent for a club in our league, in this current climate - it's a no brainer.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 31 Aug 2010 08:53

The premiership is the best domestic league in the world and attracts the best players from around the world

Not for a while. They've been heading back towards Spain.

Championship is fun. Its mental. It has a nicely random edge to it. But if you were a player, you'd not stay if a half decent German team came calling. Especially if you weren't English in the first place and had that insane hang up about travelling.

£6 million is a lot of a relatively unproven player.

It now depends on how we reinvest it - if at all.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 31 Aug 2010 08:55

Stranded I'm surprised people are that shocked - if the fee of £6m quoted by Sky is correct then there is no club at our level that would turn that down.

Good post and I am coming rond to this way of thinking. Blow will be softened with three good signings today.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 31 Aug 2010 09:05

I think that most people on here agree that 6 mil for a somewhat unproven Championship player is good money, what I suspect that they are angry at is the fact that:
a) The Club will probably not release any funds to the Manager
b) If they do - he has 1 day to do his business

Means we will be left with the loan market.

I am super gutted, seeing him with the hoff Jersey on will feel like seeing your ex with another guy... lets hope Jake Taylor comes along in leaps and bounds - but he will also no doubt be sold.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 31 Aug 2010 09:07

Blaming b) on the club seems a bit harsh to me.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 31 Aug 2010 09:07

paultheroyal

Good post and I am coming rond to this way of thinking. Blow will be softened with three good signings today.

Yes, but that's not going to happen is it?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 31 Aug 2010 09:11

Finchley Royal
hiro I was about to order new Reading kit with Sig's name on the back. I am sorry to any URZ who have already done so.

I know how you feel. I wish that I hadn't had "Gylfi Sigurdsson" tattooed on my cock now.

Must have been small lettering...............

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 31 Aug 2010 09:12

Stranded No player is bigger that the club and perversely by getting rid of our best player we could still end up with a stronger more balanced squad/team.

Not whilst Madejski is still in charge!

Even if he did release any decent sum of money (pigs flying/leopards spots), why would any decent player want to join us? A selling club whose chairman doesn't walk his PL ambition talk, a weakened squad far more likely to be embroiled in a relegation battle than push for promotion and a little known, unproven manager (sorry B McD but that is what you are currently).

paultheroyal Good post and I am coming rond to this way of thinking. Blow will be softened with three good signings today.

You mean like when we replaced Osborn with Meaker!!

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 31 Aug 2010 09:17

Mike Hunt b) If they do - he has 1 day to do his business

Sticking my neck out here, but I have a feeling this has particular deal has been on the cards for a while. It smells that way:

Foreign club for a non-PL player is fairly unusual
Ze Germans don't take punts; they would have scouted a fair bit and discussions ongoing
£6m (if true) is a high price which suggests there has been some haggling behind the scenes

Therefore I would hope that the management would have agreed as part of the sale that some of the money would be made available for new purchases or loan moves and so BMcD would have at least an idea of the players he'd want - if not already got those deals on the cards with the clubs and players - since we have a short period of time to do business.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 31 Aug 2010 09:19

This transfer window business needs sorting out.

Mad rush on the last day giving the selling club no time to respond.

Ridiculous.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 31 Aug 2010 09:22

There seems to be a lot of naivety on here around business transactions.

People seem really upset that the deal has gone through so late. That is business, leaving it late gives more power to one party involved, why do you think so much business will be done today??

The club will have known for a few days so if they are planning on spending any money then they will also have done their homework and will know who they want and what they can offer.

If it is around £6M for an unproven, young player who has only played 1 full season then it is a cracking deal.

JoebyRFC

by JoebyRFC » 31 Aug 2010 09:26

Would only be happy with this deal, if we get Demba Ba as part of a exchange deal too

1419 posts