The Siggy role

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

The Siggy role

by andrew1957 » 13 Sep 2010 15:20

It looks like we are going to persist with 4-2-3-1 - which I would tend to agree with. Having seen Northampton draw 3-3 when we played 4-4-2, it does not inspire me with confidence that the extra striker makes up for surrendering the midfield. The later stages of the Coppell regime made 4-4-2 look very sterile and we ended up ineffectively hoofing it up to the two forwards most of the time. So given that we are going to stay at 4-2-3-1, then who plays the Siggy role?

No disrespect to Howard. I think he has been ok in the defensive midfield role, but I do not think he is a solution to take over the Siggy role long term. Against a poor Palace it all went ok, but there will be much sterner tests.

We have a few options in the squad, but the one I would like to see explored would be to bring McAnuff in from the wing and give him a go in attacking midfield.

I thought Antonio looked excellent until injured against Northampton and he can definitely do a job on one of the wings.

To me the thought of Kebe, Antionio and McAnuff all breaking forward from midfield looks a very exciting prospect. IMO McAnuff is a player who has enough quality to play almost anywhere on the park and this change could do him and the team good. Any thoughts?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Siggy role

by Hoop Blah » 13 Sep 2010 15:26

I've touted the idea that McAnuff could play there before, but I think that if the answer is to come from within the current squad then it's going to weaken the team moving McAnuff into the middle and bringing one of the backup wingers in.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 13 Sep 2010 15:26

So Howard is replacing Siggy. :roll:

karacan looked a lot better going forward though. Gutted he missed that shot with all the step overs... by far my favourite player.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 13 Sep 2010 15:27

It needs to be someone who can finish off chances, as well having a good range of passing, a bit of pace, good stamina, and some creativity.

Sig had all those attributes but no-one else in our squad does. All have some of them, but crucially nonoe of our options seem to have any finishing ability whatsoever (Kebe is the best finisher of the midfielders we have but I can't see him being suited to a central role).

It will have to be a loan player......

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 13 Sep 2010 15:41

Wycombe Royal It needs to be someone who can finish off chances, as well having a good range of passing, a bit of pace, good stamina, and some creativity.

Sig had all those attributes but no-one else in our squad does. All have some of them, but crucially nonoe of our options seem to have any finishing ability whatsoever (Kebe is the best finisher of the midfielders we have but I can't see him being suited to a central role).

It will have to be a loan player......

hope so and fast!!

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 13 Sep 2010 15:46

Sig has gone, so people will have to get used to that. I don't think the answer is to look for another player who will do the same thing; McDermott appears to think the same thing. I thought Howard did OK on saturday; the most impressive aspect of his game was actually when he was off the ball. His movement was really good when going forward, and he was creating loads of space for Long, although it was Karacan who was exploiting it to the full. I think this is what we can expect from Howard - acting as a pivot between Long and the midfield, providing an outlet ball, pulling defenders out of the middle, that kind of thing. We clearly don't have another Siggy in the squad, so nobody will be providing the Siggy role.

It definitetly worked well on Saturday; it may not work as well against a better team, obviously, but we'll just have to see.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 13 Sep 2010 15:49

jake taylor

songvip

by songvip » 13 Sep 2010 15:53

Antonio

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 13 Sep 2010 16:06

rabidbee Sig has gone, so people will have to get used to that. I don't think the answer is to look for another player who will do the same thing; McDermott appears to think the same thing. I thought Howard did OK on saturday; the most impressive aspect of his game was actually when he was off the ball. His movement was really good when going forward, and he was creating loads of space for Long, although it was Karacan who was exploiting it to the full. I think this is what we can expect from Howard - acting as a pivot between Long and the midfield, providing an outlet ball, pulling defenders out of the middle, that kind of thing. We clearly don't have another Siggy in the squad, so nobody will be providing the Siggy role.

It definitetly worked well on Saturday; it may not work as well against a better team, obviously, but we'll just have to see.

I agree that Howard was creating space for others and no doubt Long and Karacan benefited but he did little else. I just do not think he offers enough in that role and think McAnuff would create the space, but is also more likely to create goals and may be score a few.

I don't see any point getting in a loan player as anyone who is as good as Siggy will already playing in a PL team and we have plenty of players who can do a job and are likely to be as good as any laon player who is available.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 13 Sep 2010 16:08

WoodleyRoyal jake taylor

Possibly but completely untried - probably needs to go on loan to get experience.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 13 Sep 2010 16:19

I just think that Howard is one of those players who, when he is playing well he isn't noticed, so people often only note the misplaced pass or the scuffed shot on his wrong foot, &c. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a massive Howard apologist (although I am massive, yes), and it took me a long time to warm to him, but I do think he gets unfair treatment at times. He's tidy and busy, makes good runs into the box, can deliver a good corner most times. He's a solid, but unspectacular, player at this level.

More to the point, McDermott appears to have a game plan that works well, based on the strengths of what he has in the squad - Long is brilliant in the air; he links up well with Howard or the wingers, who then look to bring in others are attack the box. It's different to Coppell's preferred game-plan, of getting it to the touchline asap and then bombing along to the by-line, but it suits our players. Expects lots of little passing triangles and probing runs, and good movement by people like Long and Howard to open up space for the others.

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 13 Sep 2010 16:22

It's the role that every midfielder wants because there are fewer defensive responsibilities, but not many have the complete game to do justice.

Another way round it would be to have a forward who dropped deep to collect the ball and link play up.

We are therefore in the market for the next Steven Gerrard or Teddy Sheringham.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 13 Sep 2010 16:40

Didn't Rodgers try and build the side around Howard playing in the hole?

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 13 Sep 2010 17:05

Last season I thought Howard improved as the season went on and drove us forward well in the second half of the season. At the start of last season I thought he looked sluggish and not athletic enough for the Championship.

To me he has regressed to where he was physically at the start of last season. Don't know why this should be but I honestly think he needs to be fitter and stronger to play ninety minutes in the side. He is no Siggi in that role but I think he has the intelligence to play it decently if he can get sharper. I honestly felt one of the reasons he missed that sitter was because of a lack of fitness after making the run to get into the box.

B Mac reckoned we have a number of players who can play the role but I honestly can't see any who can do it adequately in the current squad at the moment.

Ferris
Hob Nob Regular

by Ferris » 13 Sep 2010 17:16

Elmer Park Last season I thought Howard improved as the season went on and drove us forward well in the second half of the season. At the start of last season I thought he looked sluggish and not athletic enough for the Championship.

To me he has regressed to where he was physically at the start of last season. Don't know why this should be but I honestly think he needs to be fitter and stronger to play ninety minutes in the side. He is no Siggi in that role but I think he has the intelligence to play it decently if he can get sharper. I honestly felt one of the reasons he missed that sitter was because of a lack of fitness after making the run to get into the box.

B Mac reckoned we have a number of players who can play the role but I honestly can't see any who can do it adequately in the current squad at the moment.

He was running around all over the place on Saturday and charged down the 'keeper a number of times. I was actually impressed with his fitness.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 13 Sep 2010 17:42

What about Simon Church there?

- good football brain
- can see a pass
- reasonable finishing ability

- not much cop right up front anyway

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 13 Sep 2010 17:53

I'd like to think that we won't try to "replace" Sigurdsson, but instead adjust the way we play to suit the current staff, but within the regime they've not long adapted to.

It doesn't mean that Howard is fulfilling the same role (because he ain't!*) but that different players will do slightly different things.

And it'll probably turn into more of a 4-1-4-1 with Boris generally sitting back and Jem generally pushing on.

*no criticismo

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 13 Sep 2010 19:36

Howard is ace!

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 13 Sep 2010 19:53

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Didn't Rodgers try and build the side around Howard playing in the hole?

I thought he built it around Tommy Smith

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Sep 2010 20:31

Agreed noone can replace Siggy exactly but someone can try to do a good job in a similar position.

I'd go for Tabb.