Irrational likes/dislikes

115 posts
Croydon Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Irrational likes/dislikes

by Croydon Royal » 25 Oct 2010 12:45

Seem to remember there was a thread about 4 or 5 years ago where people put down the players they liked and disliked for irrational reasons. Basically everyone seems to have them - a player in the squad that you have taken a shine to and would defend even when it's quite obvious he's playing badly - a misplaced pass would be unlucky, a wayward shot would have hit a bobble etc, and a player in the squad who you have just taken a bit of a disliking to - if they score a goal then it was a bit lucky, if they make a good tackle then it was probably the opposition player who mucked up to allow them to do so.

The rules were that it's not really based on skill or their current performances on the pitch, it's got to be more irrational or basic than that. And most importantly, because it's irrational, no-one else can slag off your choices - it's not a time to be getting out the stats or arguments, it's simply who you have a soft spot for and who you just can't take a liking to, for absolutely no rational reason.

With almost a completely new squad, I thought it was about time to do it again. Last time I seem to remember it got to about 7 or 8 pages before people started arguing, let's see how far it can go this time. (My guess is not very)...

So mine are:

Like: Jay Tabb - Someone his size shouldn't be such a decent player, and I like that. Bet he's a decent bloke off the pitch, and I like the way he just shuts up and gets on with things. Mainly though, he did brilliantly for me on Championship Manager a few years ago.

Dislike: Shane Long - I've mentioned this before, but he was the first player I noticed who was playing for Reading and is the same age as me. Beforehand they were all older. It's very annoying. And I just still can't come to terms with the fact that he's technically our replacement for Kevin Doyle.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Irrational likes/dislikes

by Big Foot » 25 Oct 2010 12:49

Dislikes : Used to be Jay Tabb under Coppell - didn't see what purpose he served to the team. Now, it's definitely Brian Howard as his overall body shape just winds me up

Likes : Jimmy Kebe, purely because he can run fast and I love watching fast footballers

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Oct 2010 13:00

I'm proud to say I have no irrational likes or dislikes.

All my views are purely objective and rational and this is why my views are always fair and spot on.

Yes I'm joking.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Oct 2010 13:02

Big Foot Dislikes : Brian Howard as his overall body shape just winds me up

Haha I thought it was just me who thought that! :oops:

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 25 Oct 2010 13:06

2 world wars, 1 world cup

Generally I'll always support anyone in the team and would never boo our own players, but I guess I've got my prejudices, including:

Alex Pearce - the way he runs doesn't make him look like a top athlete.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 25 Oct 2010 13:08

Paul Holsgrove.

Jimmy Kebe (until he learnt how to be play football)

John Oster

Michael Meaker

Ian Porterfield

Brendan Rodgers

Tony Bliar (on reflection, nothing irrational at all about my pathological hatred of this lying, thieving, charlatan)

Fraudon Clown (ditto)

In fact all politicians.

Actually the list would be virtually endless if I gave it any serious thought.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 25 Oct 2010 13:15

Royalwaster
2 world wars, 1 world cup

Generally I'll always support anyone in the team and would never boo our own players, but I guess I've got my prejudices, including:

Alex Pearce - the way he runs doesn't make him look like a top athlete.

Even though he was a superb player, the way Glenn Little used to run used to annoy me

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 25 Oct 2010 13:26

Croydon Royal Seem to remember there was a thread about 4 or 5 years ago where people put down the players they liked and disliked for irrational reasons

I started that. On Valentine's Day. And it was called "I Love Him, I Love Him Not". IIRC only about three people actually answered properly. For me it was Glen Little and James Harper at the time. Now:

LOVE: Jimmy Kebe. I loved him when you all still hated him. A greyhound in human form, I love him even when he trips over his own feet, bottles headers, and shanks crosses into the North Stand. If he has a shocker then "Jimmy was double-marked all game, it was up to the others to make the most of the space this left elsewhere on the pitch". If he has a stormer then "he had three men on him all the time and still it wasn't enough". Epic player.

HATE: Shane Long. Useless, overrated, gap-toothed, big-arsed, guitar strumming nothing of a striker. He'll carry on being "the next big thing" until he retires, at which point people will finally go "okay, maybe this won't be Shane's year". Every year someone will claim he has 20 goals a season in him. True. That's if you count all of Reading's training sessions and every game of FIFA 10 he plays against Noel Hunt. Otherwise I reckon it's closer to 20 goals in his career. Why? Because he's shit.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Oct 2010 13:43

This is my kind of thread.

Like: Brian Howard. Mainly because most of you lot hate him. He is one of precious few amongst our players who can actually pass the ball. Honourable mention for Jay Tabb, the little whippet. And I utterly love Zurab.

Dislike: Federici. The 'keeper makes a few camera saves every so often and is lauded as the Australian Gordon Banks on these pages. He makes far too many individual errors, more than any other Reading 'keeper I can remember. Even Scott Howie.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 25 Oct 2010 13:44

strap Fraudon Clown (ditto)

Fvcking

Hell

Ferris
Hob Nob Regular

by Ferris » 25 Oct 2010 13:49

Like: Simon Church :? No idea why, he's obviously shit, but thread title is irrational like/dislikes so fcuk you.

Dislike: Federici, not so irrational, he's fat and lets in some absolute howlers.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 25 Oct 2010 13:50

Silver Fox

Fvcking

Hell

It's so bad that i didn't even realise who he was referring to the first time I skimmed it.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Oct 2010 13:52

Silver Fox

Fvcking

Hell

Big defecit man had a world class financial model.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Oct 2010 13:53

Ferris Like: Simon Church :?

Matron!

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 25 Oct 2010 13:57

Good thread!

Like - I'm one of the few who irrationally likes Brian Howard, in fact I kind of feel the need to stick up for him considering all the flack he gets. He may be a bit cocky at times, but he's our cocky player and we need to get behind him more.

I liked him pre his days at Reading. Scored that goal for Barnsley away to Liverpool in the cup (before it got fashionable to beat them). Came to Reading that timw and scored against us, and although I wasn't happy about it, I could appreciate that he played well that day. Also got a goal in the play-offs for Sheff Utd, and generally played well every time I saw him.

Came to Reading and I was chuffed to bits, and despite a shakey start (who wasnt under Rodgers) came an ever present in our team second half of last season. Came on at Brizzle last week and looked very lively, and renewed his partnership with Tabb in extraordinary fashion on Saturday.

On top of all of that he scored that goal at West Brom last season that is my favourite for a long long time!! Magical stuff!!

Dislike - Until Saturday it was McAnuff, however he went a long way to redeeming himself with an effective display I hear. If anything he was a victim of his own success, but it can't be ignored he has played very poorly recently. The Swansea and Bristol games lacked any composure, drive, determination or infact bottle and it really irritated me. It's quite petty but I think we have a very likeable squad at the moment.

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 25 Oct 2010 14:05

floyd__streete This is my kind of thread.

Like: Brian Howard. Mainly because most of you lot hate him. He is one of precious few amongst our players who can actually pass the ball. Honourable mention for Jay Tabb, the little whippet. And I utterly love Zurab.

Dislike: Federici. The 'keeper makes a few camera saves every so often and is lauded as the Australian Gordon Banks on these pages. He makes far too many individual errors, more than any other Reading 'keeper I can remember. Even Scott Howie.

Did you ever see Simon Shepperd........my gran is a better goalie and she died in 1973.

Like: Whole team except
Dislike:Howard, do not know why just do.

Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Binfield Royal » 25 Oct 2010 14:17

[/quote]
Even though he was a superb player, the way Glenn Little used to run used to annoy me[/quote]

You should have seen Blakey eat lunch. I used to sit in the red seats (sadly no longer due to cut backs) and if a player wasnt selected for the match they would still have to come to the game and would get lunch in the executive club.

Blakey had the worst eating manners I have seen in an adult. He would shovel food like a cartoon character and then finish by lifting the plate to his mouth and scraping the last bits into his mouth.

That said, when he wasn't eating, he was always pleasant to chat to and never too self important to bother with "the fans" (some others were)

Archies Left Foot
Location: Well it's something your mother can't abide, but it's something that I freely prescribe

by Archies Left Foot » 25 Oct 2010 14:35

Absolutely loathed Stephen Hunt, in fact I still do... bumped into Doyle and him at the golf driving range over in Caversham about a month or so after we signed Doyle, and he was giving it the "big I am" boasting about not having to pay for his flash golf clubs cos a sponsor gave them to him.. even Doyle was cringing in the background..

Liked Gareth Davies, after Keith Mcpherson's testimonial we ended up in Yates in town with half a dozen players and Gareth Davies was pissed as a newt and all he kept saying "Nick Golgan, what a sh*te goalkeeper" had us all in stiches all night...

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 25 Oct 2010 14:45

Not sure if it is irrational or not but I can't abide Brian Howard. He epitomises everything to me that is wrong with football. There are far better footballers playing park football on a Sunday morning.

That said, I have an instant loathing of any player that we have signed who previously played for s*indon regardless of ability with the exception of Jimmy Quinn as he did such a shit job as manager of the in breds.

On the matter of eating habits, Adie Williams is a complete trough merchant.

Irrational likes? Toughie. Of the current crop I would say Shane Long. Gives everything to the cause and occasionally shows flashes of brilliance. Sadly, occasions like the winner at Anfield are too few.

Croydon Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Croydon Royal » 25 Oct 2010 14:48

floyd__streete This is my kind of thread.

Funnily enough, Scott Howie is one of my all-time irrational "likes". Purely because he had one incredible performance (yes, really) for us at home to Preston around 2000/01. We won 2-1 but he kept us in it and saved a penalty. The big thing for me was that a few of my school mates came to the game with me, and consequently thought we had one of the hottest young keepers around.

115 posts