Coventry - back from the lame: drawing, drawing Reading

112 posts
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Coventry - back from the lame: drawing, drawing Reading

by floyd__streete » 11 Dec 2010 19:28

Well, if there was ever a game to live down to expectations it was this one :| .

Reading played pretty well in the first 25 minutes, Long was bright and led the line well, MacAnuff was dictating things on the left flank. Long himself had 4 chances, one of which he made quite brilliantly for himself. He hit the target with none of them, natch :| .

Unfortunately, we faded and died, died on our @rses. The second half was as poor a spectacle as you will ever see; the only time the ball touched the deck was on the numerous ocassions both sides failed to controlled the ball and it bounced between lumering, oafish swipes of the ball. Coventry were a typical Boothroyd side, an absolute abberation to watch and they showed surprising little ambition which was fortunate for Reading as Mills had yet another poor game and looked a liability throughout.

Again, the club made its ambitions perfectly clear last month when during the last few days of the loan transfer window we signed.....a plodding midfielder, rather than strengthen the p*ss-weak striking department. Since then we have played two games and failed to score in either of them. Seems to me there is precious little to look forward to for the remainder of this season and perhaps for the forseeable future; in one month's time we'll most likely be out of the cup and looking downwards in the league. Happy Christmas.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Coventry - back from the lame: drawing, drawing Reading

by andrew1957 » 11 Dec 2010 19:47

Cannot disagree with much of what Floyd has just said. The fact that it has taken 2 hours for anyone to even start a "back from the game" thread probably sums up what most of us are feeling.

In my case it is utter frustration. It is so sad to see the Chairman's complete lack of interest in taking the club forward. Every time we play like this I just cannot help wondering how may Siggy would have scored if he was still here. Without him we have a workmanlike team of pros - who with a bit of luck "might" make mid table. Without luck we could get dragged towards the relegation zone. It is all very sad really and the falling crowd numbers - which will fall further if no significant investment is made in January (which just won't happen IMO) - are systematic as to the wasted opportunity that those in charge have let slip.

I cannot really fault most of the players - although why on earth Mills was back today I have no idea. They hustled and bustled. Long gives 100% every week but neither he nor the crowd have any confidence that he will "ever" score from open play unless he miss hits one!

I thought Leigertwood actually did quite well today. As much as I like Tabb - he and Karacan together would have been too lightweight today.

All very sad and frustrating and we can only really hope that JM has had enough now that he had got his knighthood and done his 20 years - as we really need new blood and new investment in the club. Unfortunately I doubt any multi billionaire is really interested in Reading and so sadly I fear the downward spiral is just at the beginning.

As for Coventry I thought that they were devoid of football ability. They are a team of bullies and thugs who seemed to want to push, foul, wrestle and stop any vestige of football skill. A typical Boothroyd team in other words. Unfortunately that seems to be a successful strategy in this division where playing "football" is not encouraged. And we wonder why the crowds are falling!

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 11 Dec 2010 20:09

To be honest, it was Reading v Coventry City. What the f*ck did you bloody well expect?

That's not to say I'm not frustrated, I am immensely having sat through another absolutely shambolic display in finishing by Shane Long. I suppose at least he's getting into the positions to score now, but Jesus Christ he couldn't finish his dinner. Shane Long was summed up for me when Hunt got in behind to the by line, cut a glorious ball back across goal to...nobody. Where was Shane Long? He had made a run not to the near post, but to the near corner of the six yard box :|

Defensively sound I thought, but then I'm always confident that we'll be able to deal with lumbering lummoxes. It's pace and movement I worry about. Midfield...well what was the point of it today tbf? 5-0-5 formation should have been employed.

Coventry City - a team so full of aerial bombardment you'd almost think that they'd taken lessons off the Nazi's.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 11 Dec 2010 20:11

handbags_harris To be honest, it was Reading v Coventry City. What the f*ck did you bloody well expect?

Us to take the lead only to lose 2-1?

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 11 Dec 2010 21:08

Have seen Leigertwood play twice now for us and I'm struggling to remember anything of any note he's done in either game. He's almost a midfield version of Sonko from 04/05 season, whenever he has the ball at his feet I'm wincing at the thought of what's going to happen next. I'd heard one of the good attributes to his game was his work rate and enthusiasm, but he's played so badly that I almost want Howard back in the side. Almost.

Boring substitutions with no creativity - don't know why Howard was on the bench instead of Antonio?

McAnuff and Leigertwood together in centre mid have got to be one of the worst pairings I've ever seen in B&W hoops.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 11 Dec 2010 21:15

Big Foot Have seen Leigertwood play twice now for us and I'm struggling to remember anything of any note he's done in either game. He's almost a midfield version of Sonko from 04/05 season, whenever he has the ball at his feet I'm wincing at the thought of what's going to happen next. I'd heard one of the good attributes to his game was his work rate and enthusiasm, but he's played so badly that I almost want Howard back in the side. Almost.

Boring substitutions with no creativity - don't know why Howard was on the bench instead of Antonio?

McAnuff and Leigertwood together in centre mid have got to be one of the worst pairings I've ever seen in B&W hoops.

Leigetwood is in the team to break up attacks and give it to someone, anyone, else. A job I thought he did pretty well today...

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 11 Dec 2010 21:17

winchester_royal
Big Foot Have seen Leigertwood play twice now for us and I'm struggling to remember anything of any note he's done in either game. He's almost a midfield version of Sonko from 04/05 season, whenever he has the ball at his feet I'm wincing at the thought of what's going to happen next. I'd heard one of the good attributes to his game was his work rate and enthusiasm, but he's played so badly that I almost want Howard back in the side. Almost.

Leigetwood is in the team to break up attacks and give it to someone, anyone, else. A job I thought he did pretty well today...

A job he did very well today. Win the ball, play a simple pass. It took him about 10 minutes to get into his stride but when he did he was very good.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 11 Dec 2010 21:18

I woke up about two hours before kick off, thought to myself coventry at home, few away fans, crap atmosphere, watching shane long miss a few chances and a boring 0-0 on the cards. I have a season ticket but simply couldn't be arsed even though I had already paid. I rolled over and went back to sleep.

See my dad after the game, boring 0-0 son, shane long missed a bunch of chances and crap atmosphere.

Reading FC...predictably rubbish.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 11 Dec 2010 21:21

Great fan you are.

Not a bad game and but for some woeful/unlucky finishing we'd have scored 5-6.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 11 Dec 2010 21:25

winchester_royal

I think you have hit the nail on the head as to why we are now 14th.
We have too many players expected to do just one job.
Your example of Leigetwood is a good one and the same goes for Jem-both of them just break up play whereas Sidwell for example would break up play AND surge forward AND score goals.
Harte takes free-kicks but so did Shorey AND he got forward to work with his wing man to make crosses and create chances.

I suppose it is stating the bleeding obvious but our current lot in most positions just aren't as good as those that we had at this level under Coppell.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 11 Dec 2010 21:29

Man Friday Great fan you are.

Oh no, some anonymous person on the internet is doubting my fan credibility. I'm devastated.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 11 Dec 2010 21:35

Victor Meldrew
winchester_royal

I think you have hit the nail on the head as to why we are now 14th.
We have too many players expected to do just one job.
Your example of Leigetwood is a good one and the same goes for Jem-both of them just break up play whereas Sidwell for example would break up play AND surge forward AND score goals.
Harte takes free-kicks but so did Shorey AND he got forward to work with his wing man to make crosses and create chances.

I suppose it is stating the bleeding obvious but our current lot in most positions just aren't as good as those that we had at this level under Coppell.

I make you right VM

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Dec 2010 22:41

on todays performance (and incidently, a clean sheet against a form team) I would be delighted to see Leigertwood "A listing" our central midfield once again

Billy The Fish

by Billy The Fish » 11 Dec 2010 23:34

Bloody hell, even the back from the game thread is dying of apathy.

Federici - 6 Failed to command his area a couple of times that crosses came in. Made up for it with a few comfortable saves and one good save at the end.
Griffin - 7 Generally solid but knocked off the ball surprisingly easily by McSheffrey on occasions. Better going forward than Kebe today though.
Harte - 6 Defensively solid, but dead ball delivery poor today.
Mills - 5 Don't know why he was brought back in ahead of Zurab except that he's club captain so gets in by default.
Pearce - 7 and MOTM Solid again, won everything in the air and dealt well with King.
Karacan - 6 Fantastic work rate as ever but lack of composure when in good attacking positions.
Leigertwood - 6 Still looking unsure of himself but solid enough and has taken well to the pass the ball sideways Harper role.
McAnuff - 6 Great first half but then disappeared in the second half.
Kebe - 4 Massive disappointment after the cameo against Leeds. Never got going today.
Hunt - 5 Not sure what role he was playing today. Second striker? Can't remember a significant contribution.
Long - 6 Does everything right except score. I would persevere with him, he will start scoring again soon.

Robson-Kanu - 5 Looked dangerous but not enough opportunities to get into the game.
Church - 4 Like-for-like replacement for Hunt, equally ineffective.
Tabb - 5 Brought on for Kebe, what was the thinking there? Playing for a point?
Antonio - 9 Fantastic impact sub, caused havoc with his long throws and rinsed their full back before crossing for Long to tap in for the winner.

No 13 - Quietest I can remember. Not even one rendition of our signature song "Super Reading FC".

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Dec 2010 01:26

AthleticoSpizz on todays performance (and incidently, a clean sheet against a form team) I would be delighted to see Leigertwood "A listing" our central midfield once again

exactly, he had a good game, broke things up and played the intelligent/simple pass. Also thought Karacan got about well and is improving rapidly.

Mcanuff, oh Christ he's got it all just doesn't do it, and this season he's done nothing.

Factfinder

by Factfinder » 12 Dec 2010 01:44

Man Friday Great fan you are.

Yeah! Right I guess glancing headers and crosses into the box don't count as "ATTEMPTS ON GOAL" because if you take a look at the BBC stats is seems like a pretty even game, when of course it wasn't - we dominated for "LONG" spells. :lol:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/9266158.stm

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 12 Dec 2010 03:27

From what was offered today it appears mid table beckons,we seem to have a squad 'on paper' that have the resume to compete for the prized top 6, but ultimately there seems to be a lack of understanding as a unit in many areas of the team which is clearly affecting any kind of consistency (well apart from drawing).

For a start the lack of any creative input in midfield from the 'robust' pairing of Leigertwood and Karacan (he of the considerable tame variety) will in no way replace the 20 goals that Siggurdson plundered last season. I actually didnt think Mikele had a bad game but its clear that we have become redundant as an attacking force in this department. Questions will now be raised as to Tabb's role in the squad and Howard is clearly not viewed as a viable option to pull the strings in creating things to happen so perhaps come January it may be best to just get rid.

I would also say that as much as Kebe can be viewed as a hot and cold player, McAnuff appears to be getting away with shirking from his responsibilties and is plainly going through the motions, how Antonio isnt getting a chance to shine above Hal Robson Kanu is beyond me so i wonder if Mcanuff is really worth persisting with now.

Defensivly we are so so but there are increasing doubts whether our very own Captain can produce the kind of performaces that earned him rave reviews last season. I really dont know where to stand with Long, his effort and commitment cannot be faulted but his preditory instincts have become less and less impressive at a time when a 1-0 victory would do. As i mentioned earlier 'on paper' the squad looks competitive, the likes of Hunt, Church and Long as an attacking force should be enough in this division however it is clear that none of them seem to work well together and when Mcdermott does play two upfront he seems to have an obsession of playing at least one of the front two to forage on the wing (Long being the main target) which makes a mockery of two forwards playing in a central position and taints the performances of players like long no matter how hard he competes.

A preditory forward is clearly needed in Jan (though clearly that comes at a cost) as well as a box to box or creative midfielder to replace an ineffective Howard. I think if at all possible in Jan that McD has to look to wheel and deal a bit to ensure this happens, if it means saying goodbye to a few first team 'regulars' who have not performed consistently or appear to be out of Mcd's thinking and perhaps a few fringe players ala Howard then so be it, our squad is large enough as it is.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 Dec 2010 09:49

If you convince yourself that we're never going to be in the Prem again under JM's tenure, that JM isn't going to spend any money on players that he could, instead, be paying on the Station Hill refurbishment and that we're going to be mid-table at best - you'd all enjoy the games far more. :wink:

thirtyyarder

by thirtyyarder » 12 Dec 2010 09:56

Due to living abroad then this was my first game in nigh on three years. Gutted!

I`ve obviously followed our "progress" through the internet, but even I was shocked yesterday at how poor we appear to be. I know we had some attractive wing play in the first 20/25 mins yesterday, all thanks to Macanuff`s creativity and Shane`s workrate and movement, but I struggle to remember a single creative thing that our central midfield managed to pull off until the very end of the game when both Tabb and Leggywood had good runs. I also thought that King and his "partner in crime" up front pulled our back line all over the place and the ball seemed to stick to them much more than it stuck to our forwards.

Overall I felt that we are trying to play in exactly the same way that Coppell got us playing but much more poorly. Long by the end of the game clearly just wanted to skulk off, his confidence looked destroyed, maybe he always looks like that! However Noel Hunt is the person that I would like to mention. What did he do? What was he supposed to be doing? When did he become such a horribe player.

When did we become such a horrible team?

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 12 Dec 2010 10:27

I'm getting increasingly frustrated with teams turning up and timewasting in the first half, and getting away with it.

Optimistically all I can think of is that some time soon we will start taking all those chances and give someone an absolute pasting.

112 posts