Back from the Game: Cardiff Away

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Back from the Game: Cardiff Away

by Snowball » 02 Feb 2011 09:32

We were comfortable all through the first half, could have scored more than one goal.
Church was better (linked fairly well) but certainly not an obviously good Championship
striker.

Long was splattered very early, had treatment but simply couldn't run, went off around 15.
We really need him these days. On the day, Church-Hunt looked a very ordinary pairing,
unlikely to score many goals.

The goal came from hard bustling work from Church who bundled through, tried to shoot
and the ball came out to Kebe who eventually crossed. Kebe was better today but still not
a patch on his best. Great to see Elwood score again. What a signing he's become and how
idiotic to those people who slagged him off look?

Cardiff's chances were all from distance. They hit the woodwork but it wasn't a "near-miss."
We made them look ordinary. They were leaving a lot of central space which McAnuff was
exploiting, great first half, OK second.

My bet before the game was us to score first and Cardiff to win 2-1. You just knew that because
we'd not found the second goal, Cardiff would make changes and come at us. We often don't start
the second half well but the game turned IMO on Federici's horrible kick-out mistake. He kicked the
straight at Bothroyd and it was all over. Bothroyd gesticulated at the RFC fans (twat) after scoring.

We clearly dropped our heads and Cardiff were all over us for ten minutes, but we settled again
and it felt more even. Church-Hunt were not working that well though and I was glad to see
Matt Mansett come on. At least he's got an intention when he gets the ball.

Cardiff were finding Bellamy more and more, and he was giving Griffin a hard time. He got through
a couple of times but that was due to his clear top-of-the-prem quality and not a failing on Griff's
part. Based on the second half Bellamy deserved a goal.

Feds was horribly at fault for the opening game, but otherwise did very well, cleanly catching
crosses and corners. I don't remember him flapping at anything.

On 75 I thought "can we hang on for 1-1" that's OK. I was annoyed at the nature of their goal
but 1-1 at Cardiff (and they ARE a good side) was a good result. I could live with that.

Mansett was "keen". Looks a bit raw but also looks like trouble for defences, and if he can get
super-fit and his body takes it, he's going to be a very good bustling striker. He did some good
link work getting wingers away. There was one great moment when he used his strength to
flatten their left-back (think running into the side of a very large bus) and got a ticking off
from the ref.

Knowing our "last 16 minutes record" (no league goals conceded) I was watching to see if we play
more defensively. Couldn't see it. Then we had a few good moves, NOT kick and rush, but nice
interplay. The last one got Hunt free to cross (I think) and Matt Mansett was there to slide it in.

Cue jubilation! With two minutes of injury time we weren't going to lose! We had another half-chance
then Kebe-Hunt were doing that keep-it-in-the corner thing but Cardiff came away with the ball, sent
it up the line and very soon after they got the free-kick which would eventually be their second equaliser.

I should mention Parkin, a great ugly thug, not a footballer. He came on very late and just went on a fouling
spree (should have been carded). The free-kick was a blatant dive after Elwood (I think) cleanly win the ball.
The players were incensed and it very nearly went sour, with players jostling and it all threatening to kick off.

Bellamy was always going to take it and I was not surprised to see him score. I was praying for one over the bar
or a good Federici save, but bang, it was there 2-2 and final whistle.

Elwood had another outstanding game, he worked brilliantly with Karacan, who was also excellent. Elwood
made countless tackles, countless clearances, loads of passes. He is a VERY good player and makes us a noticeably
better team. He deserved to be on a winning side.

Harte had a good game and two at least superb goal-saving blocks. Mills also had a great goal-saving block.

7.0 Feds would have been an 8 but he gave away that goal. Beaten by a good free-kick
8.0 Griffin. Did well against an on-form Bellamy
8.0 Harte. Kept us in the game
7.0 Ingi. Solid game but too many poor headed clearances, esp first half, when time to control and find a man.
7.5 Mills. as Ingi, but when excellent stop makes him worth an extra half-point
7.5 Kebe. Flashes of his old brilliance but still not for more than about 50% of the time
8.0 Mcanuff. Very good first half, more ordinary second. Looks good when he cuts inside. Could play the hole in 451
9.0 Elwood. everywhere. Wins so much ball, brings confidence to the side. PLEASE sign him. AND scored.
8.0 Karacan. Elwood's apprentice but works tirelessly in support.
6.0 Church. Helped to make the goal and "keener" but ATM looks off Championship level. A real weakness ATM
7.0 Hunt. Better than Church but light years off Long at his best ATM. Good work last ten minutes and assist.

7.5 Mansett
Looked a bit lumbering and a bit raw, but played like he wanted to have the ball all the time
and seemed to be in everything. It looked like Church off, him on lifted the team and we started
to look a real threat. One half-chance from a difficult header, one great splatt of a defender, and
the goal. I think he will score plenty. Fully fit he looks like a very, very good partner for Long

Long not on for Long enough. Looked in a fair bit of trouble and simply couldn't run. He is being
cynically targeted now and needs more protection.

Badger Finger
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the Game: Cardiff Away

by Badger Finger » 02 Feb 2011 09:35

Decent write up, but stop calling Ledge, 'Elwood'... :roll:
Makes you sound a wee bit of a knobski...

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 02 Feb 2011 09:44

Badger Finger Decent write up, but stop calling Ledge, 'Elwood'... :roll:
Makes you sound a wee bit of a knobski...

:roll:

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 02 Feb 2011 10:06

Ledge is a far better nickname, how many games unbeaten is he now?

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 02 Feb 2011 10:14

Just stick to Legs.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 02 Feb 2011 10:23

According to BBC Berks we were stitched up for the 2nd Cardiff game running by crap refereeing in awarding them a free kick for absoutely no reason in the 7th minute of 4 minutes stoppage time. Anyone confirm this?

For the record We allwould have taken a draw if it was offered before so don't think we've come out too badly in the end. QPR with no Mikele Leigertwood next. Let's hope Gunnarsson or Tabb can stand up and be counted.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Feb 2011 10:30

Who is Ledge?
Who is Legs?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Feb 2011 10:32

Barry the bird boggler According to BBC Berks we were stitched up for the 2nd Cardiff game running by crap refereeing in awarding them a free kick for absoutely no reason in the 7th minute of 4 minutes stoppage time. Anyone confirm this?

For the record We allwould have taken a draw if it was offered before so don't think we've come out too badly in the end. QPR with no Mikele Leigertwood next. Let's hope Gunnarsson or Tabb can stand up and be counted.

It was probably a bit over time (even over the 4 + the scuffle time) but more importantly it wasn't a genuine free-kick.

Parkin suckered the ref.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 02 Feb 2011 10:38

Snowball Who is Ledge?

That is the nickname he had at QPR and is also the nickname his mates call him (if twitter is anything to go by).

Only you call him Elwood, but you like being in very small minorities don't you?

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 02 Feb 2011 10:43

Elwood?????? Elwood????

Snowball your real names not Wayne Kerr is it? :wink:

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 02 Feb 2011 12:11

BBCRB said Church was excellent last night and were very surprised when he was subbed.

Can anyone who was there confirm what they thought.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 02 Feb 2011 12:21

Best game for a while for Church, he really did play very well, and actually had a good partnership with Hunt. So I was very pleased with him, I suppose not so surprised when he went off, as we needed something a little bit different up front with Manset.

Will Feds come out and apologise for his cock-up like Harte did the other week? It's be nice, can't say I'm too hopeful.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Feb 2011 12:36

Wycombe Royal
Snowball Who is Ledge?

That is the nickname he had at QPR and is also the nickname his mates call him (if twitter is anything to go by).

Only you call him Elwood, but you like being in very small minorities don't you?

He calls me Snowbie and I call him Elwood. It's a man-love thing

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 02 Feb 2011 12:37

The reffing was a bit inept. It wasn't a free kick. And I was absolutely stunned when Noel Hunt got booked for a handball.....when twice a Cardiff player had handled the ball without being punished by a free kick or a booking. And I think Noel Hunt was pushed from behind so that was why he had his arms out and accidently touched the ball. And another thing, I was surprised by an offside decision, where no Reading player was near the ball. Yes, a Reading player was running for it, but backed off as soon as he realised he was offside, but the cardiff player picked up the ball and booted it up only for the linesman to raise his flag....er, play on surely? :|

Reading had done well to be 1-0 up at half time, but as I returned from downing a pint in the concourse to see Cardiff score the equaliser - I'd missed the build up to that one and I saw the replays on TV later that evening and was shocked to discover that Federici had given the ball to a Cardiff player when he was clearing the ball upfield. Shocking. I would hope that he never makes that sort of mistake again in future!

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 02 Feb 2011 12:38

SpaceCruiser I would hope that he never makes that sort of mistake again in future!

Don't be too hopeful.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Feb 2011 12:42

andrew1957 BBCRB said Church was excellent last night and were very surprised when he was subbed.

Absolutely NO WAY was he "excellent". Not on any normal planet.

He was better than previously, but previously he was dire, so it didn't take much.

I'm not one for knocking players and I know last season Churchy had a good one, but he's
not (ATM) remotely the same player.

Hard to know how it MIGHT have gone with Church-Long but I don't recall Church-Hunt
opening up the opposition, or either having a shot on target. They looked "laboured"
and lacking either real power or speed (compared to Long.)

Church's part in the goal is a good example. he sort of bumbled half-through and tried to get a shot away,
it bounced, he knocked it out to Kebe... and then

When Long gets the ball in the box there's excitement. When Church does (ATM) I just wonder when he'll be tackled.

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 02 Feb 2011 12:47

Snowball
andrew1957 BBCRB said Church was excellent last night and were very surprised when he was subbed.

He was better than previously, but previously he was dire, so it didn't take much.

I'm not one for knocking players and I know last season Churchy had a good one, but he's

Hard to know how it MIGHT have gone with Church-Long but I don't recall Church-Hunt
opening up the opposition, or either having a shot on target. They looked "laboured"

Church's part in the goal is a good example. he sort of bumbled half-through and tried to get a shot away,

When Long gets the ball in the box there's excitement. When Church does (ATM) I just wonder when he'll be tackled.

Long came good, I see no reason why Church cant do the same

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 02 Feb 2011 12:48

Although a draw was better than I hoped for I came away really disappointed. We deserved to win after dominating the first half and the last quarter and it was only during a shaky 20 mins after Fed gifting them their first that we looked like conceding. Added to that the equaliser was scored in the 6th minute of 4 mins added time and the free kick was soft to say the least. Terrible ref who was inconsistent throughout with both teams. Both our goals were well taken and great to see the recent signings showing their worth.
To add insult to injury the Welsh even contrived to close the M4 on the way home!

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 02 Feb 2011 12:49

Snowball

I think there were several times that they did open Cardiff up, I refer to where Hunt and Church were dragging the defenders around while Jobi running with the ball towards the area, Church peeling off in acres of space and Jobi not passing. Also Church's link up play was very good.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 02 Feb 2011 12:53

Snowball

When Long gets in my box there's excitement.

:lol: