Cheer up Hob Nob!

108 posts
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Cheer up Hob Nob!

by floyd__streete » 12 Feb 2011 17:48

Scunny and Preston both lose and Sheff U pick up only a point on us, we're well clear of the drop zone. In all honesty, can you really expect any more than survival given the players we have sold over the last few seasons? :|

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Cheer up Hob Nob!

by LoyalRoyalFan » 12 Feb 2011 17:51

The teams who are prepared to spend money sit near the top of the table and are contesting a play off spot.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 12 Feb 2011 17:51

LoyalRoyalFan The teams who are prepared to spend money sit near the top of the table and are contesting a play off spot.

Yeah, but they'll all go bust I tells ya :roll:

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 12 Feb 2011 17:54

That 80-90 million promotion money means nothing then.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 12 Feb 2011 17:56

LoyalRoyalFan That 80-90 million promotion money means nothing then.

For the three who get it, yes - but they then have to spend it all on wages in the PL.

For the teams who spend that money and don't go up......

But there are no guarantees that money spent = success, just that money spent = an increased likelihood of success.

But if you fail to get success then the consequences of failing are too horrible to complicate.

Stanmore Royal II

by Stanmore Royal II » 12 Feb 2011 18:02

We're still in the FA Cup!!!!

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 12 Feb 2011 18:10

Yeah, I guess...

But, geez, we were sitting right there. All it would have taken, in my very subjective opinion, is picking up that one piece we needed. And, imho, it could have been done without breaking the bank. I'm not saying it, "it" being getting promoted, isn't a possibility still for this season but the last 3 results have made the task exponentially more difficult. We need to take 7 out of every 9 points for the rest of the year?

We have a solid squad with some promising young talent, but I worry. Results drive attendance. Lack of results result in lower attendance and decreased revenues requiring the team to sell off more players as they develop in the future. We don't seem to be buyers recently. I think barring a complete collapse we need not worry about the bottom of the table this year though. But which direction are we heading in the long term? I know the history of the team, where we came from, and the realities of football but I think it is dangerous to believe that we will be staying at even this level, as some do, no matter what happens. I see other teams with the ambition to move up, and are doing so, while our ambition seems to be to maintain where we are...and, again imho, clubs not trying to move forward inevitably, at some point, go backwards.

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 12 Feb 2011 18:32

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 Feb 2011 18:58

Libertine Yeah, I guess...

But, geez, we were sitting right there. All it would have taken, in my very subjective opinion, is picking up that one piece we needed. And, imho, it could have been done without breaking the bank. I'm not saying it, "it" being getting promoted, isn't a possibility still for this season but the last 3 results have made the task exponentially more difficult. We need to take 7 out of every 9 points for the rest of the year?

We have a solid squad with some promising young talent, but I worry. Results drive attendance. Lack of results result in lower attendance and decreased revenues requiring the team to sell off more players as they develop in the future. We don't seem to be buyers recently. I think barring a complete collapse we need not worry about the bottom of the table this year though. But which direction are we heading in the long term? I know the history of the team, where we came from, and the realities of football but I think it is dangerous to believe that we will be staying at even this level, as some do, no matter what happens. I see other teams with the ambition to move up, and are doing so, while our ambition seems to be to maintain where we are...and, again imho, clubs not trying to move forward inevitably, at some point, go backwards.

And so do most of the clubs who try moving forward in the way you would advocate! Nothing is more inevitable than that.

The club does have ambitions beyond staying in this division and is doing everything it can to achieve them.

No 1 on the list is to achieve a degree of financial independence and security that will assure (as far as is possible) a long-term future for the club.

No 2 is to play at the highest level of the game.

I believe we have those the right way round. Many other clubs (and fans) look at it differently.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 12 Feb 2011 19:05

Libertine Yeah, I guess...

You're wrong.

Billy The Fish

by Billy The Fish » 12 Feb 2011 19:07

RoyalJames101 http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/LeagueTable/0,,10306~20100209,00.html

I'll just leave this here...

Yes, that's all well and good. I assume the point you're trying to make is that we were in a relegation fight at this time last year and we ended up nearly reaching the play-offs. But if you look at that table, despite being in the relegation places we were actually only 11 points off 6th and we didn't get there, even with a storming finish. And today we're 10 points off 6th, so even with another storming finish, we probably won't get there.

Also the table that you've linked to, of the top 6 there, only Swansea didn't retain their place (and they only missed out by a point in the final reckoning), so you can forget any chance of the play-offs this year imho.

I think the point people are trying to make is that it just felt in reach at the start of the season if we'd kept certain players, and again in the January window with just a bit of investment. I'm watching Derby Leicester on the telly and Leicester appear to have Yakubu on loan. I'm guessing he cost more than Manset.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 12 Feb 2011 19:10

floyd__streete Scunny and Preston both lose and Sheff U pick up only a point on us, we're well clear of the drop zone. In all honesty, can you really expect any more than survival given the players we have sold over the last few seasons? :|

:lol: Floyd, you're such a pussy. You and Andrew1957 should go on a whimpering retreat together.

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 12 Feb 2011 19:17

Billy The Fish
RoyalJames101 http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/LeagueTable/0,,10306~20100209,00.html

I'll just leave this here...

Yes, that's all well and good. I assume the point you're trying to make is that we were in a relegation fight at this time last year and we ended up nearly reaching the play-offs. But if you look at that table, despite being in the relegation places we were actually only 11 points off 6th and we didn't get there, even with a storming finish. And today we're 10 points off 6th, so even with another storming finish, we probably won't get there.

Also the table that you've linked to, of the top 6 there, only Swansea didn't retain their place (and they only missed out by a point in the final reckoning), so you can forget any chance of the play-offs this year imho.

I think the point people are trying to make is that it just felt in reach at the start of the season if we'd kept certain players, and again in the January window with just a bit of investment. I'm watching Derby Leicester on the telly and Leicester appear to have Yakubu on loan. I'm guessing he cost more than Manset.

I can see where you're coming from. But what i mean is that things could be alot worse, to think that we're still competing in this division with the lack of investment compared to other clubs is admirable from McDermott. I would rather us be run how we are, not risking going into administration, than take a huge risk and spend big, only to end up in massive financial trouble if promotion isn't achieved.
Last edited by RoyalJames101 on 12 Feb 2011 19:19, edited 1 time in total.

jonboy29red

by jonboy29red » 12 Feb 2011 19:18

look at it this way qpr owners are 2 billionaires cardiff and leciester owners are thai so have there money safe so thay have the money to pay for the top players how many clubs has routlage had bellamy its like the season we had keown and ferdinand we tried that approch of high pay players and it faild id rather have a safe stable finacial run club then a debt ridden one like some others in this division

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Feb 2011 19:39

floyd__streete
LoyalRoyalFan The teams who are prepared to spend money sit near the top of the table and are contesting a play off spot.

Yeah, but they'll all go bust I tells ya :roll:

How dare you blaspheme by doubting the word of the great Madejski and his disciples!

jonboy29red look at it this way qpr owners are 2 billionaires cardiff and leciester owners are thai so have there money safe so thay have the money to pay for the top players how many clubs has routlage had bellamy its like the season we had keown and ferdinand we tried that approch of high pay players and it faild id rather have a safe stable finacial run club then a debt ridden one like some others in this division

Yet another one not able to realise that there actually is a middle way. As for debt - best ban all mortages then!

I'd love to see the consequences of Madejski selling off the assests and refusing to invest in his other businesses.

Says he wants to sell but doesn't do it. That despite investors popping up all over the place to buy supposedly far worse run clubs.

So who is going to lose? For every pound of debt Madejski clears through the sale of players etc. he increases the value of the club, the proceeds of which will of course go to him.

In contrast, when investors buy clubs that are in debt, they pick them up for a pittance, clear the debt and have money left over to strengthen the playing squad.

But of course, the great saint Madejski thinks nothing of himself, he did all this because he wanted to put something back into the local community.
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 12 Feb 2011 19:47, edited 1 time in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Feb 2011 19:41

2 more points than Blackpool had, this time last year

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 12 Feb 2011 19:45

AthleticoSpizz 2 more points than Blackpool had, this time last year

Unfortunately we don't have a Charlie Adam.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Feb 2011 19:48

and they never had Leigertwood (just like us in recent loses)

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 12 Feb 2011 19:49

Stanmore Royal II We're still in the FA Cup!!!!

:mrgreen: 8)

This post and the thought of upsetting Chelsea/Everton brightened my day.

Cheers!

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 12 Feb 2011 19:50

AthleticoSpizz 2 more points than Blackpool had, this time last year

BM is no Holloway tho.

108 posts