Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Team for Millwall (H)

by silas » 22 Feb 2011 10:10

Kitson12
silas McCarthy

Cummings Pearce Mills Armstrong

Antonio McAnuff Leigertwood Kebe

Long Hunt

Why McAnuff in the middle? He clearly doesn't work there.

Why does he 'clearly not work there'??

Every time he is moved inside later in games, he looks dangerous - just as an example off the top of my head - setting up Long to win the penalty at Hull a few weeks ago. He has never started a game 4-4-2 in centre mid for us (all other centre mid starts were in 451), but considering how piss poor all our other options are then why not give it a go? But only if Antonio comes in on wing, not HRK.

Trainspotter

by Trainspotter » 22 Feb 2011 10:15

I almost don't care who they play so long as it shows some changes and has a bit of pace. The defence was woeful and is so pedestrian. Must be the worst defence we have ever had. There seems to be no one who is capable of changing the game and taking it by the scruff of the neck. We are at out best when we break quickly, but with little pace that isn't going to happen. :(

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 22 Feb 2011 10:23

Loyal Brian won't change nowt, nor will he be brave with selection or tactics!

When you hear senior players saying that they love playing for the manager, it normally means those players rule the roost and won't be getting dropped!!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Feb 2011 10:34

silas
Kitson12
silas McCarthy

Long Hunt

Every time he is moved inside later in games, he looks dangerous - just as an example off the top of my head - setting up Long to win the penalty at Hull a few weeks ago. He has never started a game 4-4-2 in centre mid for us (all other centre mid starts were in 451), but considering how piss poor all our other options are then why not give it a go? But only if Antonio comes in on wing, not HRK.

It was also his peach of a through ball to Long for the goal at Sheffield

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 22 Feb 2011 10:55

I'd like to see some changes at the back because we were appalling against Watford. In all honesty I find Mills the most droppable - he looks casual and tactically poor.

I wish there were more options up front but Manset isn't fit, Church couldn't hit the side of a barn, so it has to be Hunt again even though he was dross on Satters.

Howard doesn't deserve to be dropped as he was okay against Watford but if he is then Tabb instead please.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 22 Feb 2011 11:31

I don't know what to feel about Fed being out for weeks.

On the one hand it gives the young keepers a chance to step up but it does make you realise how reliant we are now on the Academy.

It also puts huge expectations on these young players like McCarthy and Andersen. I really hope the Madstad crowd supports them even if they do make some howlers - getting on their backs could really set their careers back.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Feb 2011 12:05

Maguire I'd like to see some changes at the back because we were appalling against Watford. In all honesty I find Mills the most droppable - he looks casual and tactically poor.

I wish there were more options up front but Manset isn't fit, Church couldn't hit the side of a barn, so it has to be Hunt again even though he was dross on Satters.

Howard doesn't deserve to be dropped as he was okay against Watford but if he is then Tabb instead please.

Mills has all the footballing intellect of at best a League One player. He is always playing catch up to his poor positioning and decisions. He commits ridiculously obvious petty, cynical and unnecessary fouls regularly. Definitely one to offload at season's end, along with Ivar who is simply not the superb player he once was.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 22 Feb 2011 12:20

Trainspotter Must be the worst defence we have ever had.

Yeah, of course. That's why only 5 Championship teams this year have conceeded less than us. How long have you been watching Reading?

Duke the Dog

by Duke the Dog » 22 Feb 2011 12:27

Is the "we've got the worst xxxxx in the division" (insert whatever you like at xxxx) a Reading fan thing, or a football fan thing in general.

Whilst not thinking our defence is/was dire, I couldn't help being worried by a) lack of pace and b) soft goals conceded. But look at the table, there are only 5 leakier defences than ours! And 2 only by a goal! So there is something to be said for it.

The problem is at the other end of pitch! We don't really have any effective options to change things rounds. The alternatives are either way off Championship standard (at the moment!) or unfit (or both).

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Feb 2011 12:34

We let in too many stupid, self-inflicted goals. Or at least too high a proportion of the goals we conceed. Our defensive record is good, but that doesn't mean the defence are. It could mean the midfield protects them well and the keeper pulls off quite a lot of saves he doesn't have a lot of right to make.

Our problem is a combination of a defence prone to regular lapses -> we conceed one goal or more in the vast majority of our games, and an attack which doesn't score enough goals in enough games -> we score one or fewer goals in the vast majority of our games.

Sort out either of those and we become a firm play off team. Sort out both and we become a strong contender for automatics.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 22 Feb 2011 12:35

silas
Kitson12
silas McCarthy

Long Hunt

Apart from the through ball at Sheffield United, what has McAnuff done in the middle of any merit this season? I'd rather keep him on the wing, so he can go past the full-back or cut inside. Why not play Antonio or HRK behind the front two? Have Ledge holding and McAnuff and Kebe bombing down the wings? We need a change for tonight, to make us actually look like an attacking side.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 22 Feb 2011 12:38

Ian Royal We let in too many stupid, self-inflicted goals. Or at least too high a proportion of the goals we conceed. Our defensive record is good, but that doesn't mean the defence are. It could mean the midfield protects them well and the keeper pulls off quite a lot of saves he doesn't have a lot of right to make.

Our problem is a combination of a defence prone to regular lapses -> we conceed one goal or more in the vast majority of our games, and an attack which doesn't score enough goals in enough games -> we score one or fewer goals in the vast majority of our games.

Sort out either of those and we become a firm play off team. Sort out both and we become a strong contender for automatics.

It'll be interesting to see whether McCarthy/Andersen stamps their authority on the defence tonight and on Saturday. Because Feds is usually quite quiet, doesn't communicate much, so it would be nice to see one of those two (depending on who plays) actually getting vocal, dishing out instructions and showing a bit of passion tonight.

silas
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by silas » 22 Feb 2011 12:57

As already mentioned - Hull at home. Also had a positive impact at home to Norwich. If I could be arsed to sit down and look back, I am sure there are more.

HRK playing, are you serious?!!!

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 22 Feb 2011 12:59

silas HRK playing, are you serious?!!!

I know he's been toilet, but he's worth a try, as are quite a few in the squad.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 22 Feb 2011 13:13

Ian Royal We let in too many stupid, self-inflicted goals. Or at least too high a proportion of the goals we conceed. Our defensive record is good, but that doesn't mean the defence are. It could mean the midfield protects them well and the keeper pulls off quite a lot of saves he doesn't have a lot of right to make.

Spot on, hence we've drawn far too many games. We don't keep clean sheets and we don't score huge amount of goals. Convert just a handfull of those home draws to wins and we'd be in or around the play-offs.

Mcdermott signed Mansat and Williams, so for me he's soley to blame at the moment. To his credit he's got the best of Shane Long, but even though we sold Rasiak and Sig, I think with the current squad 12th in the league is still underachieving and I'm sure he would agree.

The honeymoon is over, earn your money now McDermott.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 22 Feb 2011 13:16

Scarface Spot on, hence we've drawn far too many games. We don't keep clean sheets and we don't score huge amount of goals. Convert just a handfull of those home draws to wins and we'd be in or around the play-offs.

Mcdermott signed Mansat and Williams, so for me he's soley to blame at the moment. To his credit he's got the best of Shane Long, but even though we sold Rasiak and Sig, I think with the current squad 12th in the league is still underachieving and I'm sure he would agree.

The honeymoon is over, earn your money now McDermott.

Quality post Scarface. How much of a risk is it to actually put Williams in the 18 for tonight? Give him 20 minutes at the end of the game to see what he can do.

ROY AL

by ROY AL » 22 Feb 2011 14:41

"It could mean the midfield protects them well and the keeper pulls off quite a lot of saves he doesn't have a lot of right to make."

seriously? have you been watching the games of late? at times there has beem tumbleweed rolling around in the missing midfield. At times the defence have been completely left exposed and subject to onslaught, I think they have done well to have the defensive record they have.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Feb 2011 14:53

silas As already mentioned - Hull at home. Also had a positive impact at home to Norwich. If I could be arsed to sit down and look back, I am sure there are more.

McAnuff and Howard have the most assists but if you look at assists plus goals
to view "immediate contribution" (and consider time on the pitch) the order
of "effective contribution" puts McAnuff fourth of four, a long way back on Hunt
who either scores or makes a goal every 1.5 games. Not bad for a crock.

14 (12) Appearances 1,364 Minutes = 5 Assists & 5 Goals (136 Mins) Noel Hunt

27 (03) Appearances 2,518 Minutes = 5 Assists & 5 Goals (252 Mins) Jimmy Kebe

17 (03) Appearances 1,583 Minutes = 6 Assists & 0 Goals (264 Mins) Brian Howard

32 (00) Appearances 2,825 Minutes = 6 Assists & 3 Goals (342 Mins) Jobi McAnuff

PS, take the OS stats with a pinch of salt. I know they have Shane's assists wrong.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Feb 2011 14:54

If we are getting near time to experiment, I'd like to see the new CB

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 22 Feb 2011 16:18

McCarthy

Griffin Mills Ivar Cummings (if fit)

Kebe Legs Howard McAnuff

Hunt Long

No need to massively change things but Harte needs to be dropped now. Mills, Hunt and Kebe all need a rocket up their arse but its not like any of the alternatives have made a great case for themselves at any point this season