On the way back from the game - City.

207 posts
brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Christian adopters

by brendywendy » 13 Mar 2011 22:50

City had one player who is payed more than the reading team cost every two years,and cost 28 times as much. For that team with bryn harte karacan and kish as the back 4, and compete and restrict city to a set piece goal is pretty extrodinary. Bryn is an absolute legend. Makeshift ancient cb, pretty much kept the best striker in the country out of the game. Just couldnt manage to play enough football to win it, but im so impressed by the squad we have scraped together somehow.

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: On the way back from the game - City.

by leicsRoyal » 13 Mar 2011 22:56

Just got back, disappointed of course but proud of our patched up team.

Thought Kebe looked dangerous when running at them, just a shame about the final ball. Jobi too caused problems with his direct play. Shane was pretty much marked out of the game but I would be interested to see the stats in how many headers he won against Kompany and Lescott.

Thought City knocked the ball about quickly and nicely but not effectively, our back four were pretty much in control.

The City fans were in good voice I thought and the Poznan was quite impressive. Great effort from our fans And superb to hear and see everyone on their feet to ' stand up for Chris Armstrong '

Well done Brian McD for a great team talk in the huddle at the end, yes that's the sort of stadiums we all want to be going to, but until then, see you at Barnsley. We can push on from here and have many more special games before the end of the season and Wembley is still waiting for us!

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 13 Mar 2011 23:01

Just got back to Reading. Proud, but with a slight sense of disappointment I guess. I really felt like that in a way Man City left themselves slightly there for the taking at points today, but ultimately the team which was put out was the strongest available and couldn't quite pull it off sadly.

McCarthy - 8.5 A very solid game, saved a lot well even if they were hit straight at him a lot of the time, dealt with corners well, only criticism is when he does take the corners I wish he would just look a bit quicker to play the ball.

Karacan - 7.0 Looked actually like he could perform quite well as a right back, stuck a few tackles in and complimented Kebe quite well on the right, also added a slight bit of pace to the back line which was good.

Gunnarsson -7.0 Solid, not spectacular once again, but his solid performances are great to watch, dealt well with Tevez and Silva most of the time.

Khizanishvili - 7.5 Played well and covered a few mistakes by other players as well at points, not sure if he would be willing to take a large wage cut, but one of the best possible back up / competition players we could get I feel.

Harte 6.0 Defended quite well, except for one scary moment in the second half where he came too far from the line as Ledge was looking to win the ball and let the player skip straight past him, set piece balls lacked slightly.

Kebe - 6.0 Did well against Kolarov, but seemed insistent, more so in the 2nd half not to try and put the ball in and instead always try and beat the man, first half final delivery lacked somewhat as well.

Tabb - 7.0 Hassled well, and chased down a lot of the time forcing Man City to go backwards, an underrated player at Reading I think, however, why has he not been tried on the left wing this season as cover to McAnuff I had to wonder.

Leigertwood - 6.5 Didn't boss the game as usual, but to be expected against 3 defensive midfield players, all a lot better than him, but he wasn't over awed and certainly held his own.

McAnuff - 5.5 A real let down for me. Drifted inside way too often and always wanted to hold onto the ball for too long, resulting in him losing the ball. Pretty sub standard.

Hunt - 6.0 Did what he could, but had little in the way of chances or service really, only one moment stands out, just before Long's 2nd half shot where he really had space for himself but elected to pass instead of run.

Long - 6.5 Ran around a lot today, but was never really going to be able to do much on his own against the two central defenders in the air.

Referee + Officials - 4 Some of the decisions Probert gave were very odd (Corner in the first half where Silva ran into McCarthy?).

Fans - 7 Atmosphere in the lower tier was good up until the goal, everyone stood, was good to see.

tlcs

by tlcs » 13 Mar 2011 23:10

Just got back home 5 mins ago

Not a lot to say except i expect McCarthy to get a full England cap in the near future.....and how come we have so many women season ticket holders. you usually see a queue at the gents at half-time not the ladies !!!!!

tlcs

by tlcs » 13 Mar 2011 23:16

Are they aving a laugh.....no way was there over 41000 there today.

As we all sung "your ground is too big for you "

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 13 Mar 2011 23:44

SLAMMED What does Ally McCoist have against Reading? He didn't have a good word to say about us all game :|

Scottish twat.

Sorry was at game so dont understand this ? Rangers were playing this afternoon so why would he be watching Reading?

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 13 Mar 2011 23:45

Thought that Kebe and McAnuff both looked slightly 2nd rate today. Needed to get more involved. Also didn't understand not shooting at the freekick! Only real opportunity.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 13 Mar 2011 23:49

AndyRFC
SLAMMED What does Ally McCoist have against Reading? He didn't have a good word to say about us all game :|

Scottish twat.

Sorry was at game so dont understand this ? Rangers were playing this afternoon so why would he be watching Reading?

Is it really too difficult to read a couple of posts after that?

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 13 Mar 2011 23:49

Should've read the thread of course it would be Craig Burley, he's utter vermin.

Still, well done Reading today, triffic atmosphere in the lower tier. City arent very good - MOMs to Zura and the goalie.

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 13 Mar 2011 23:50

SLAMMED
AndyRFC

Scottish twat.

Is it really too difficult to read a couple of posts after that?

Yes. :roll:

Super Ally is 8)

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 13 Mar 2011 23:57

I was in the east stand, and was probably the only person who didn't join in the backs-to-the-pitch jig thing (it's called the Poznan http://www.mcfc.co.uk/Video/Features/Do-the-Poznan) when they scored. Was in the section nearest to our fans (albeit up in the gods). You did the team proud today. City Fans <<<<<<< Everton Fans.....about as gracious in victory as a third world dictator. Having moaned for 70 plus minutes you would have thought they had won the world cup!

Stand by what I posted earlier about being proud of the team, but being in such a high position I could see the balls that McAnuff, Kebe etc were rolling behind the forwards or straight at a light blue shirt. There was more than one occasion when Jimmy skinned his man and then found a blue shirt, and I don't think a single final ball came off as intended today. The rearguard was immense (given that only 1 (?) of the first choice back 5 started), and I thought Mikele and Jay Tabb ran their hearts out and broke up a lot in midfield, but we didn't create anything.

I echo the sentiments above in that we missed the boat today. Alright, Tevez couldn't hit a barn door, but really had we created something....anything..... conceding 1 at City would have been acceptable as we shoulda/woulda/coulda created/finished something. The reality was we had no quality in the final third, and for all the city fans' nervousness at Kebe's runs Long hardly had a touch and we had no actual chances.

I have a slightly irrational dislike of Man City. Living in the NW their fans think they have a god given right to win things, yet they are bank rolled and unpleasant. I hope they get tonked at Wembley.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Mar 2011 00:08

AndyRFC

Scottish twat.

To put it bluntly, Slammed had a mare!!

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 14 Mar 2011 00:16

Watched the game from the comfort of my living room, very proud to be a supporter of Reading tonight. There were many fantastic perfromances out there today, but all the praise for this gutsy, passionate effort must go to one Mr Brian McDermott, what a perfromance form him over the past year and a bit, as Brendy wrote with a squad we "scraped" together, these players must love the man, he continually gets players to play out of position and put in outstanding performances. There are concerns on some threads about who we will lose in the summer, a bigger loss than any player will be the manager, he is magnificent.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 14 Mar 2011 00:22

paultheroyal
AndyRFC

Scottish twat.

To put it bluntly, Slammed had a mare!!

^ 'greed.

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 14 Mar 2011 00:30

The Prisoner I have a slightly irrational dislike of Man City. Living in the NW their fans think they have a god given right to win things, yet they are bank rolled and unpleasant. I hope they get tonked at Wembley.

Having lived in Manchester for a few years now, and also having sat in the home end today, I think I'd say that your dislike of City is in no way irrational. I feel sorry for their older fans, the ones who're used to them being bobbins - back when the celebrity fans numbered Curly Watts and Frank Sidebottom (and his first love was Altrincham anyway). It got me to thinking what I'd do were Reading to suffer a similar fate and get bought out by a billionaire as a vanity project - I genuinely believe I'd move on. "Manchester thanks you, Sheikh Mansour"... I doubt that's a universal truth.
Last edited by prostak on 14 Mar 2011 00:46, edited 1 time in total.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 14 Mar 2011 00:44

howser Watched the game from the comfort of my living room, very proud to be a supporter of Reading tonight. There were many fantastic perfromances out there today, but all the praise for this gutsy, passionate effort must go to one Mr Brian McDermott, what a perfromance form him over the past year and a bit, as Brendy wrote with a squad we "scraped" together, these players must love the man, he continually gets players to play out of position and put in outstanding performances. There are concerns on some threads about who we will lose in the summer, a bigger loss than any player will be the manager, he is magnificent.

Totally agree - BMD is superb.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 14 Mar 2011 00:46

prostak
The Prisoner I have a slightly irrational dislike of Man City. Living in the NW their fans think they have a god given right to win things, yet they are bank rolled and unpleasant. I hope they get tonked at Wembley.

Having lived in Manchester for a few years now, and also having sat in the home end today, I think I'd say that your dislike of City is in no way irrational. I feel sorry for their older fans, the ones who're used to them being bobbins - back when the celebrity fans numbered Curly Watts and Frank Sidebottom (and his first love was Altrincham anyway). It got me to thinking what I'd do were Reading to suffer a similar fate - I genuinely believe I'd move on. "Manchester thanks you, Sheikh Mansour"... I doubt that's a universal truth.

Completely agree man. Citeh fans used to be lovely before they got took over, not too big for their boots, humble etc.

Since they got took over their ego has skyrocketed.

I used to like them, today I spent the whole match mouthing about how I hate corrupt capitalism. Hope United tonk them indeed. Strewth.

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 14 Mar 2011 00:46

which stand were you in, AP?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 14 Mar 2011 00:53

I was in Leicester. Couldn't afford the trip over. Shame but I think I would have been fuming at Citeh and their fans had I have gone, as it was I was fuming but from a safe distance.

We'll always have Goodison eh Prostak?

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 14 Mar 2011 00:53

Thought the boys did us proud today you would not know which team cost 300 million and which was a Championship side. Just lacked a bit of quality in the final third. Was chatting to some City fans after and they said our support was excellent made for a top astmosphere. Although I could have done with out youve had your big day now oxf*rd off home song. They are becoming the Chelsea of the north.

207 posts