Match thread: Swindon Town

125 posts
FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Match thread: Swindon Town

by FiNeRaIn » 30 Jul 2011 18:29

leww_rfc
FiNeRaIn Just bot back, absolutely dire first half improved in second, will have to be much better for millwall. Really not a lot to get excited about.

How'd Obita do anyway?

He did a few decent things actually, looks to have a good touch and didn't overdo anything. Not afraid to have a pop. At only 17 he looked reasonably assured and mature, definitely got some high hopes for him.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 30 Jul 2011 18:30

FiNeRaIn
Arnie_Pie
FiNeRaIn Really not a lot to get excited about.

I don't know why you bother.

Bother what? I made the effort to go to the game.

I don't know why you bothered to go to the game. You are, as well as Terminal Boredom, the most yawn inducing negative posters on these forums. I mean, why do you bother?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 30 Jul 2011 18:33

Oh shut up you whiner, if realism bores you, place me on ignore. Simple.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 30 Jul 2011 18:35

Pluses, Khumalo looked decent, good goal from the Beast but he missed a sitter just before. Obita looked ok, more pacey than Jobi and as skillfull. He had one really good shot from the left that their defender did well to stop.

Minus, Gunnarsson was dire.

Everyone else nothing much to say, the first half we were poor and only tested their keeper twice. Second half we looked more threatening but we were always in control.

Their number 4 centre half looked decent and their keeper played pretty well, otherwise a standard friendly performance.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Jul 2011 18:43

I suspect playing in a two man central midfield is a bit beyond Gunnarsson now.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 30 Jul 2011 18:46

FiNeRaIn
leww_rfc
FiNeRaIn Just bot back, absolutely dire first half improved in second, will have to be much better for millwall. Really not a lot to get excited about.

How'd Obita do anyway?

He did a few decent things actually, looks to have a good touch and didn't overdo anything. Not afraid to have a pop. At only 17 he looked reasonably assured and mature, definitely got some high hopes for him.

I'm guessing he'll be used sparingly, but he deserves the odd chance this season. Looks like he has the skill and confidence, just needs to get a bit of experience now.

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 30 Jul 2011 19:11

Poor first half, when we gave the ball away too much especially Bryn, cannot possibly be good cover for Ledge during the season. For me, Some still didn't look match ready, Orbita looked good when he came one. Beast should of had a hattrick of headers, the good thing being he scored the hardest one of the three. Just an average friendly really.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 30 Jul 2011 20:47

Bother what? I made the effort to go to the game and I am saying the performance wasn't a lot to get excited about, I would challenge anyone realistic to come away excited by that performance. There were a few bright moments but really it was a poor standard of game.

Called a friendly for good reason. As thats what it is.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 30 Jul 2011 21:05

Oh thanks for clearing that up, I didn't realise that on the way into the ground or prior. Thanks.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 30 Jul 2011 21:28

paultheroyal If that means Federici remains even longer in goal then all the better.

Hoping that he somehow impresses in August so that someone comes in for him? Personally, I'd sooner see McCarthy playing; looks less likely to be at fault for the absolute howlers that Federici tends to be prone to!

Today's game was a bit pedestrian. A Gunnarsson/Karacan midfield will be overrun by a classier midfield with pace. Full backs sluggish as usual, nothing new there. Manset should have scored a hatrick but the goal he did score was the hardest header of the lot! Kebe a lot brighter. Obita continues to shine and should get his chance this season.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 30 Jul 2011 22:19

A few notes from the game

Pretty much everything good came through Kebe today, actually put in a few good crosses as well. HRK looked promising up front, dropped into space to good effect a few time. Howard still has a lot to give to this team, only midfielder then consistently shows for the ball and plays it along the ground. Khumalo grew into the game and looked decent. Manset scored a good header inbetween missing two far easier attempts, but he was fairly lively and at one point jumped about 8ft in the air to chest it down for Obita who got in some good positions and could have scored a couple.

Decent run out and people singing 'our support is oxf*rd shit' is even more cringeworthy in pre-season than it is in an actual game.

phil in cornwall

by phil in cornwall » 30 Jul 2011 22:20

parky Poor first half, when we gave the ball away too much especially Bryn, cannot possibly be good cover for Ledge during the season. For me, Some still didn't look match ready, Orbita looked good when he came one. Beast should of had a hattrick of headers, the good thing being he scored the hardest one of the three. Just an average friendly really.

So will Obita just play on the pitch or will Orbita circle overhead and come into land to score the odd goal?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 30 Jul 2011 22:30

Simon's Church A few notes from the game

Pretty much everything good came through Kebe today, actually put in a few good crosses as well. HRK looked promising up front, dropped into space to good effect a few time. Howard still has a lot to give to this team, only midfielder then consistently shows for the ball and plays it along the ground. Khumalo grew into the game and looked decent. Manset scored a good header inbetween missing two far easier attempts, but he was fairly lively and at one point jumped about 8ft in the air to chest it down for Obita who got in some good positions and could have scored a couple.

Decent run out and people singing 'our support is oxf*rd shit' is even more cringeworthy in pre-season than it is in an actual game.

I don't think swindon fans were being serious, in an attendance of 4,800 we had at least 1,000 there, maybe more. That is more than they would take to us if the roles were reversed.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 30 Jul 2011 22:36

I meant the Reading fans singing it about the rest of our fans.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 30 Jul 2011 22:51

Simon's Church I meant the Reading fans singing it about the rest of our fans.

I didn't hear that once and i was sat in the middle of the stand...

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 30 Jul 2011 22:59

I think it was only in the first half, sang it two or three times on the right of the stand. TBF one of them almost started crying when Swindon sang 'Swansea' so I probably shouldn't have expected much better.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 30 Jul 2011 23:32

FiNeRaIn Oh thanks for clearing that up, I didn't realise that on the way into the ground or prior. Thanks.

A timely piece of "realism" perhaps :|

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 31 Jul 2011 01:01

Simon's Church I think it was only in the first half, sang it two or three times on the right of the stand. TBF one of them almost started crying when Swindon sang 'Swansea' so I probably shouldn't have expected much better.

Tbf this site is full of people saying our support is sh1t. The only difference is they say it behind a computer screen rather than in the ground.
Last edited by sandman on 31 Jul 2011 01:08, edited 1 time in total.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 31 Jul 2011 01:04

sandman
Simon's Church I think it was only in the first half, sang it two or three times on the right of the stand. TBF one of them almost started crying when Swindon sang 'Swansea' so I probably shouldn't have expected much better.

Tbf this site is full of people saying our support sh1t. The only difference is they say it behind a computer screen rather than in the ground.

absolutely spot on

rfc2001

by rfc2001 » 31 Jul 2011 01:37

PieEater Pluses, Khumalo looked decent, good goal from the Beast but he missed a sitter just before. Obita looked ok, more pacey than Jobi and as skillfull. He had one really good shot from the left that their defender did well to stop.

Minus, Gunnarsson was dire.

Everyone else nothing much to say, the first half we were poor and only tested their keeper twice. Second half we looked more threatening but we were always in control.

Their number 4 centre half looked decent and their keeper played pretty well, otherwise a standard friendly performance.

Just reading your point about Obita; I thought Jobi had a good amount of pace but this Obita must be like shit off a stick

125 posts