Badges, Balloons & Busby - a slideshow of RFC memorabilia

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Badges, Balloons & Busby - a slideshow of RFC memorabilia

by Ark Royal » 29 Aug 2011 15:29

Had way too much time on my hands this weekend, so I committed a random selection of my pile of Reading memorabilia and assorted stuff to the scanner. Some if it is personal stuff; some copies of photos and other stuff. I still have a lot more and I plan to do pictorial histories of seasons 85/86, 93/94 and 94/95. Watch this space.

Badges, Balloons & Busby - A random collection of RFC ephemera, memorabilia and photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/baz.greenaway/BadgesBalloonsBusby?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKu7luDH67TQsgE&feat=directlink

For those who have not yet seen, there are also these:

Promotion from Division 4 1975/76
https://picasaweb.google.com/baz.greenaway/ReadingFCPromotionFromDivisionFour197576?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Division 4 Champions 1978/79
https://picasaweb.google.com/baz.greenaway/ReadingFCFourthDivisionChampionshipSeason197879?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Reading v Tranmere 31st March 1976
https://picasaweb.google.com/baz.greenaway/ReadingVTranmere31stMarch1976?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Trevor Senior & Jimmy Quinn
https://picasaweb.google.com/baz.greenaway/TrevorSeniorJimmyQuinn?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Elm Park - The Last Game - The day before
https://picasaweb.google.com/baz.greenaway/ElmParkTheLastGameTheDayBefore?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Elm Park - The Last Game
https://picasaweb.google.com/baz.greenaway/ElmParkTheLastGame?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Simod Cup Final
https://picasaweb.google.com/baz.greenaway/SimodCupFinal?authuser=0&feat=directlink

manny96

Re: Badges, Balloons & Busby - a slideshow of RFC memorabilia

by manny96 » 29 Aug 2011 15:45

Just had a look through - I have plenty to do but found this a delightful distraction! Some great, great stuff there AR. It's fascinating how the most poignant memories are found in the most innocuous of 'tat' (not that it's all tat). It's also a reminder for me of just how much I have missed purely through being too young. Although I can't regard myself as a superfan, it's a nice reminder that you're a part of something a bit bigger than the last result. Pleased I managed to go to Elm Park at least a few times.

Was some of the stuff collected by relations?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 29 Aug 2011 15:48

Just like any nostalgia, I wish I could just have a small taste again......................

That memorable Watney Cup game.....Oh bliss............... :oops:

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 29 Aug 2011 15:50

manny96 Just had a look through - I have plenty to do but found this a delightful distraction! Some great, great stuff there AR. It's fascinating how the most poignant memories are found in the most innocuous of 'tat' (not that it's all tat). It's also a reminder for me of just how much I have missed purely through being too young. Although I can't regard myself as a superfan, it's a nice reminder that you're a part of something a bit bigger than the last result. Pleased I managed to go to Elm Park at least a few times.

Was some of the stuff collected by relations?

Indeed, some of it is tat! Most of the stuff I have I collected myself as man and boy, but I do have some stuff given to me by my uncle including an original design plan for the Madstad, which was far too big for my scanner.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 29 Aug 2011 15:55

Lovely stuff. The black and white photos add to the authenticity. Thanks for posting them. I read Ian Branfoot's response but didn't understand his final sentence. Please could you confirm what he said.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 29 Aug 2011 15:59

PEARCEY Lovely stuff. The black and white photos add to the authenticity. Thanks for posting them. I read Ian Branfoot's response but didn't understand his final sentence. Please could you confirm what he said.

Branfoot wrote: "Your kind of support deserves success, once again thank you."

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 29 Aug 2011 16:02

Ark Royal
PEARCEY Lovely stuff. The black and white photos add to the authenticity. Thanks for posting them. I read Ian Branfoot's response but didn't understand his final sentence. Please could you confirm what he said.

Branfoot wrote: "Your kind of support deserves success, once again thank you."

Got you.

zummerset

by zummerset » 29 Aug 2011 16:10

Thanks Ark Royal -some good Elm Park memories stirred up there! :)

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 29 Aug 2011 16:19

For everyone who lived through it, 75/76 was the best season ever. And we only finished third in Div 4!

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 29 Aug 2011 16:24

LUX For everyone who lived through it, 75/76 was the best season ever. And we only finished third in Div 4!

Yes, we got a 50-year old monkey off our backs that season.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Aug 2011 17:48

Great pics, great thread Ark...I still have one or two of those oddments somewhere...plenty of programmes from the 70's too

As beautful as she was, the Elm Park players entrance would be such a big embarrasment nowadays, as would the fans exit from the N stand.

Cannot upload the pic, but I still have a "13 wins at the start of the season" RECORD BREAKING ROYALS pennant hanging up in my shed

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 29 Aug 2011 17:53

AthleticoSpizz Great pics, great thread Ark...I still have one or two of those oddments somewhere...plenty of programmes from the 70's too

As beautful as she was, the Elm Park players entrance would be such a big embarrasment nowadays, as would the fans exit from the N stand.

Cannot upload the pic, but I still have a "13 wins at the start of the season" RECORD BREAKING ROYALS pennant hanging up in my shed

I have that pennant somewhere as well, maybe back in the UK. Schlepping around the globe made it difficult to cart everything with me. I left a huge Reading programme collection dating back to the 40s with my nephew. He is still adding to the collection, bless him.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 29 Aug 2011 18:15

I once had but have now thrown away that cheap tshirt with the words "Reading first...the rest nowhere" followed by the full League table at the time of winning our first 13 League games in 85/86.
Loved the stuff AR has posted on here...although I thought you may have had something from the Reading V Wolves game when they equalised to make it 2-2 to end our incredible start to the 85/86 campaign.
My two biggest regrets as a Reading fan are not seeing Robin Friday play...and especially missing the goal against Tranmere and not going to the game against Plymouth when we won from three down.
Last edited by PEARCEY on 29 Aug 2011 19:01, edited 1 time in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Aug 2011 18:17

re. pennant Ark, yeh it was kind've strangely made. Proper printed header/badge/graphics etc.. the scorelines looking like they were typed on in the anticipation that there might've been more to add to it each game....visions of the office girls manually adding another scoreline to each pennant each game.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 29 Aug 2011 18:31

PEARCEY I once had but have now thrown away that cheap tshirt with the words "Reading first...the rest nowhere" followed by the full League table at the time of winning our first 13 League games in 85/86.
Loved the stuff RA has posted on here...although I thought you may have had something from the Reading V Wolves game when they equalised to make it 2-2 to end our incredible start to the 85/86 campaign.
My two biggest regrets as a Reading fan are not seeing Robin Friday play...and especially missing the goal against Tranmere and not going to the game against Plymouth when we won from three down.

Pearcey - Don't worry, I will be sure to mention it when I get around to my 85/86 web album. I have a great photo of Mad Max scoring the equalizer in that match.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 29 Aug 2011 18:40

Ark Royal - that is tremendous work, many thanks indeed.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 29 Aug 2011 19:03

Ark Royal
PEARCEY I once had but have now thrown away that cheap tshirt with the words "Reading first...the rest nowhere" followed by the full League table at the time of winning our first 13 League games in 85/86.
Loved the stuff RA has posted on here...although I thought you may have had something from the Reading V Wolves game when they equalised to make it 2-2 to end our incredible start to the 85/86 campaign.

Pearcey - Don't worry, I will be sure to mention it when I get around to my 85/86 web album. I have a great photo of Mad Max scoring the equalizer in that match.

Look forward to it AR. Your post on here today has been much appreciated.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 29 Aug 2011 19:35

I still have my "Reading first...the rest nowhere" T-shirt from that 85/86 season. Also have the "record breakers" scarf after winning at Newport that season. I also collected all Robin Friday memorabilia, and therefore have dozens of newspapers cutouts from the Chronicle and Post from the 70s.
Although not in Ark Royals league, I'll do my utmost to post some very memorable stuff on this thread soon.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 29 Aug 2011 19:44

Barney I still have my "Reading first...the rest nowhere" T-shirt from that 85/86 season. Also have the "record breakers" scarf after winning at Newport that season. I also collected all Robin Friday memorabilia, and therefore have dozens of newspapers cutouts from the Chronicle and Post from the 70s.
Although not in Ark Royals league, I'll do my utmost to post some very memorable stuff on this thread soon.

Excellent, Barney! I too have piles of EPs and Chronicles that are getting browner by the month, but I will never get rid of them.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 29 Aug 2011 20:03

Barney I still have my "Reading first...the rest nowhere" T-shirt from that 85/86 season. Also have the "record breakers" scarf after winning at Newport that season. I also collected all Robin Friday memorabilia, and therefore have dozens of newspapers cutouts from the Chronicle and Post from the 70s.

Look forward to that......especially the Friday stuff.