We need to do better - Alex Pearce

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

We need to do better - Alex Pearce

by YateleyRoyal » 15 Sep 2011 16:00

Reading defender Alex Pearce says too many players are not performing well enough at the club.

The Royals are second from bottom in the Championship after four league defeats in a row.

Pearce, 22, told BBC Berkshire: "We've had players who haven't done as well as they could and I think everyone will admit that.

"Everyone needs to step up their game. The good thing is that we've got time to put it right and we'll do that."

Reading face Doncaster on Saturday at the Madejski Stadium, the only team below them in the Championship table with just one point.

Pearce insists the Reading players are in good spirits despite the increasing pressure.

"You might think that losing the games that we have that we'd be down and in a negative mood," he said. "But training's been fantastic and we've worked on things we needed to address and everyone's looking forward to the weekend.

"When you lose games everyone fears that the confidence is going to drop but in our case we know that we're not far off, that we need to bounce back and make sure that confidence isn't low.

"We have to rally round each other, get it right on the training pitch then take it on to Saturday."

Reading versus Doncaster Rovers kicks off at 1500 GMT on Saturday 17 September and is live on BBC Radio Berkshire.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 592169.stm

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

Re: We need to do better - Alex Pearce

by who are ya? » 15 Sep 2011 16:06

Which player is going to say the exact same thing next?? My money's on Jem

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 15 Sep 2011 16:10

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 15 Sep 2011 16:30

We need to do better than Alex Pearce.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 15 Sep 2011 17:26

He must be the brains in the team then......... :roll:

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 15 Sep 2011 17:45

He needs to improve.

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 15 Sep 2011 17:46

Sounds like a school report headline.

In all fairness it really can't get much worse than no shots on target at home to Watford!

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 15 Sep 2011 17:58

Maybe its time for chairman to come out and say "we need to do better " !

robbieroyal

by robbieroyal » 15 Sep 2011 18:43

who are ya? Which player is going to say the exact same thing next?? My money's on Jem

It's ridiculous isn't it? They keep saying the same thing. I honestly can't understand why they keep saying basically that next week we will put it right etc etc :evil:

When we are playing badly you have to work hard, there was a point one Saturday when Ledge received the ball and was dispossessed in front of the West Stand because not one team mate called a 'man on'. It almost summed up what we are like at the moment. If we are not creating chances or even having one shot on target (like Saturday), the absolute musts expected by a paying fan is talking on the pitch and working hard. I didn't see any of that on Saturday.

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 15 Sep 2011 19:26

robbieroyal
who are ya? Which player is going to say the exact same thing next?? My money's on Jem

It's ridiculous isn't it? They keep saying the same thing. I honestly can't understand why they keep saying basically that next week we will put it right etc etc :evil:

When we are playing badly you have to work hard, there was a point one Saturday when Ledge received the ball and was dispossessed in front of the West Stand because not one team mate called a 'man on'. It almost summed up what we are like at the moment. If we are not creating chances or even having one shot on target (like Saturday), the absolute musts expected by a paying fan is talking on the pitch and working hard. I didn't see any of that on Saturday.

I'm more worried by the "we've got plenty of time to put it right" statement.
That attitude is bound to lead to complacency. It's like when you're studying, all the girls do their assignments in good time, all the blokes wait until the night before, then try to cane it!
The deadline for improving is miles away, so the players are still in the students union getting shitfaced for £1 a pint of eggy fosters!

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 15 Sep 2011 19:40

Mc D needs to stop the players talking to the press.Heads down and mouths shut.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Sep 2011 19:48

The players need to set an example to the owner. Stop talking the talk and start walking the walk.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 15 Sep 2011 21:37

Player : " we need to do better" ....after 5 straight defeats.

No shit....footbaLOLOL cLOLiches...cringe worthy.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 15 Sep 2011 22:01

My money is on the sun rising in the east and setting in the west tomorrow.

Good lord.

These guys are paid thousands a week for 90 minutes "work" plus 3 half days training and they continuously come out with this crap.

Who was it famously took their team down the coal mines?...............Having said that, our equivalent would be putting this lot in a Bracknell call centre for the day. They couldn't be any worse than an Indian equivalent. They aren't clever enough to spell or speak English either!

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 15 Sep 2011 22:47

I'm not quite sure why everyone's getting uptight about this. Of course he's going to come out with this stuff when he pushed in front of some reporter, it's part of the job, comes with the territory (to add to the cliches). I don't know of many footballers who would come out with something more.

They need to do better - yes.
They've worked on improving - good.
Their heads haven't gone down and they're confident they can turn results around - well, I hope so.

The only thing I'd quibble about is it taking time when they'll be playing on Saturday and games will be coming thick and fast (there's another cliche), but even there he's probably right.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 Sep 2011 23:37

Sarah Star I'm not quite sure why everyone's getting uptight about this. Of course he's going to come out with this stuff when he pushed in front of some reporter, it's part of the job, comes with the territory (to add to the cliches). I don't know of many footballers who would come out with something more.

They need to do better - yes.
They've worked on improving - good.
Their heads haven't gone down and they're confident they can turn results around - well, I hope so.

The only thing I'd quibble about is it taking time when they'll be playing on Saturday and games will be coming thick and fast (there's another cliche), but even there he's probably right.

put it this way. If he doesn't make good on his commitment as stated - I will be throwing my own dung at him from the North Stand by about 3:30 saturday.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 16 Sep 2011 00:00

leon put it this way. If he doesn't make good on his commitment as stated - I will be throwing my own dung at him from the North Stand by about 3:30 saturday.

:lol: I've heard it's the Elm Park way of expressing yourself

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 16 Sep 2011 08:57

I was hoping he''d put his hand up for getting turned easily and giving away the free kick that lead to the goal. "I've been working on not getting turned".

Or maybe that he realised it was his header that deflected the cross to Eustace to tap in for the second. "I've been working on not heading to an opponent"

Or maybe he's realised he's got the turning circle of an oil tanker with equivalent speed, and he's say I've spent all week practising spinning around so now I won't fall over.

Alternatively just SHUT THE oxf*rd UP.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Sep 2011 09:41

FiNeRaIn Player : " we need to do better" ....after 5 straight defeats.

No shit....footbaLOLOL cLOLiches...cringe worthy.

theyre only cliches cos theyre true.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Sep 2011 09:43

PieEater I was hoping he''d put his hand up for getting turned easily and giving away the free kick that lead to the goal. "I've been working on not getting turned".

Or maybe that he realised it was his header that deflected the cross to Eustace to tap in for the second. "I've been working on not heading to an opponent"

Or maybe he's realised he's got the turning circle of an oil tanker with equivalent speed, and he's say I've spent all week practising spinning around so now I won't fall over.

Alternatively just SHUT THE oxf*rd UP.

you want him to shut up when hes asked by the manager to do an interview?
:roll: