Back from the game-saints

273 posts
Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

Re: Back from the games-saints

by Libertine » 22 Oct 2011 22:19

I was able to watch most of all the game and while we looked great, in fact the better of the two teams with the other being top of the table, I am very frustrated that we only got 2 points out of the 2 games.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 22 Oct 2011 22:30

Libertine I was able to watch most of all the game and while we looked great, in fact the better of the two teams with the other being top of the table, I am very frustrated that we only got 2 points out of the 2 games.

We should have 6 points but three goals conceded in our last two games at times when we were under no pressure has been our downfall. We have played a lot worse than this and won games.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 22 Oct 2011 22:31

It must have been a good game for the neutrals, so I expect Sky are happy. I thought as a team we played some decent football - probably the best I've seen from Reading this season. HRK had another poor match - I thought he was useless against Derby right up to the moment he pinged a perfect cross for ALF to score ...
HRK lost possession or misplaced passes on numerous occasions today. I don't think he should be in the starting 11 at the moment - let's hope Kebe is fully fit soon.
I echo the sentiments about Mills being out of his depth. I keep hoping and expecting him to improve, but there is no evidence of it yet.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Oct 2011 22:32

Well that was emotionally draining.

Personally I thought we were superb, right up until we scored. Then we decided to sit back for the first time all game and got hit. It's frustrating because we were so dominant whilst pushing up.. Anyway, if we play like that for the rest of the season we'll be top 6.

Le Fondre was excellent once again, Ledge back to his best, and Gorkss imperious.

I thought Mills was okay. It took a moment of brilliance from the ultimate impact sub to break us, so I don't think we can criticise any of the defence.

Onwards and upwards.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Oct 2011 22:37

Royal Rother The negative posts about Mills almost certainly come from the same posters who produced similar stuff about Long, Federici, Karacan, Church, Cummins etc. etc.

When will they ever learn? Frankly it's pathetic.

As with each of the aforementioned (at the time they were getting bucketloads of abuse on here) the guy is young, learning the job and should be getting support of the fans. And may I add that McDermott's judgement is better than the lot of you put together.

I agree with you, we should support our players, but some negativity isn't bad, it's when you really shoot someone down that you have a problem. Saying his set pieces or his awareness or whatever wasn't great isn't something people should have a problem with (unless it is wrong), going OTT like Tony or the bloke on the radio who wanted Marcus Williams back on the other hand...

comeonyouroyals

by comeonyouroyals » 22 Oct 2011 22:39

Now I can't talk much on Mills form this season as that is the first game I've seen this season but on todays performance I have no problem with him starting for us, Seemed to get forward well and can certainly tell he has much more in his locker than what he showed with his regards to passing and crossing. Defensivley seemed sound and added much needed pace. Experience seems to be all thats lacking with this lad and given a run in this team then I am sure that his decision making will improve.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 22 Oct 2011 22:52

PEARCEY
Libertine I was able to watch most of all the game and while we looked great, in fact the better of the two teams with the other being top of the table, I am very frustrated that we only got 2 points out of the 2 games.

We should have 6 points but three goals conceded in our last two games at times when we were under no pressure has been our downfall. We have played a lot worse than this and won games.

Yeah while the back 4 have been stabilized we're still leaking goals. And this isn't a direct knock on the defense, or anyone in particular, just sayin'...because a case could be made today that the way we were playing conceding a single goal shouldn't have affected the ultimate outcome.

Right now I am stuck on the number 1. Not just the 1 point each we have got the last 2 games at home but 1 being the number of wins we've had at home so far.

Royal Prince

by Royal Prince » 22 Oct 2011 23:24

Anyone blaming Mills for the goal today needs to watch the highlights just shown on BBC!

Gorkks and Pearce go for the same ball and fail as we know, but it's HRK loosing his man, NOT Mills who stuck with his.

FACT!

Still takes nothing away from the fact it was a piss poor goal to concede!

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 22 Oct 2011 23:25

We need to sort out set pieces! (He says as we essentially scored from a set piece)

Frustrated that we threw away 2 points with a man advantage.

However, really good performance and a very entertaining game.

Federici 6 - Not much to do, really? Did what was needed. Nervous when he stayed about a mile out of his goal about 2 mins from the end.
Mills 5 - Nervy, and could've thrown the remnants of my pie at him when he elected to shoot in the last minute.
Gorkss - 8 - Brilliant. Saved us from certain goals tonight, though a bit of a mix up for the goal - someone lost De Ridder though. Needs to be captain.
Pearce - 6 - Alright, pretty solid, but enough with the hoofball. He's such a 2-dimensional player.
Cummings - 7 - Had a good laugh when he completely robbed Guly do Prado. Got forward well.
McAnuff - 6 - Frustrating, good free kick for goal, but looked utterly useless at other times.
Karacan - 7 - Good first half, faded second, but harried excellently, did what he does well.
Leigertwood - 8 - Great to see him back to his best. Couldn't really fault him. What a rocket in the first half! MOTM
Robson-Kanu - 6 - A couple of good runs, but also played a couple of awful balls.
Le Fondre - 7 - See Karacan. Came on in fits and starts, should've buried a chance in the first half, from my view.
Church - 6 - Ran and harried, but that's about it... I can't recall him doing much else.

Saints fans need a bigger chant book... I'm not sure but I got the impression from them that they were top of league.

Also, waiting for the bus in the town centre, they could not stop chanting 'this is a shithole, I wanna go home', makes you wonder why they bothered coming in the first place if they hated Reading so much.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 22 Oct 2011 23:27

MmmMonsterMunch Sorry but he was absolutely awful. Terrible set pieces & awful defending. I would actually put Harte back in or try Griff at LB.

Agreed. Left back is a real issue for us.

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 22 Oct 2011 23:28

Can we please stopping knocking Mills. It was amazing the amount of times I heard people whinging "What's he doing over there" when he was on the right hand side up the pitch after a freekick or corner. He takes the bloody things that's what he's doing over there!!!

I even heard someone say that when Mills had stayed back for one of our corners which they broke away from and he went over to the right hand side and stopped them. Yes there were a few overhit corners again but there were also some very dangerous ones, especially in the first half and one of the reasons that Soton are where they are is because they have a very good, well organised defence and by far the best keeper to visit the ego dome so far this season.

You could see that Mills was pumped up for the game and really wanted it - the only mistake I would criticise him for is that shot late on when Jobi(?) was clear outside him.

I thought Hal looked off the pace all night and not his usual self, he looks like he's put on the weight that Manset lost over the summer. I normally like seeing Karacan play but it was a bit too tight for him in the centre today and he needs to release it a bit quicker rather than letting himself get closed down.

Positives were Legs continued improvement, the 2 partnerships, centreback and centre forward, which look to be working well (except for their goal for the former though) and some great saves from Feds who even came for (and caught) crosses
Last edited by If you still hate Futcher on 22 Oct 2011 23:33, edited 1 time in total.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 22 Oct 2011 23:33

Tony Le Mesmer Excellent performance today, you can never complain too much supporting a team with such a positive attitude. Id settle for that every week, win lose or draw. Pretty good atmosphere as well from both sets of fans.

As for the LB debate, Mills is out of his depth. END OF. I can understand why Harte was dropped, poor start to the season, but that was next to a poor CB partnership that left him totally exposed. Hes a bit of a luxury player with his lack of pace, but we have Gorks now at LCB and its time to bring him back. He is in a different league to Mills and should be a shoe in to replace him once our run ends.

I have been positive about 98% of Reading players, bit I am sure neither Mills nor Harte are what we need at LB.. We have a problem there - and I expect McDermott to address this in Jan. Please.

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 22 Oct 2011 23:34

Gotta say that was probably a good experience for Alfie - that must be the biggest crowd he's played in front of?

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 22 Oct 2011 23:36

PS I just had a look at the table, christ, Palace are 3rd!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Oct 2011 23:37

Just seen their goal.

Disappointing from Robson-Kanu and to a slightly lesser extent Gorkss who were at fault there.

Robson-Kanu completely fails to track De Ridder's run standing and watching, leaving Mills in no man's land marking his man down the line with no hope of catching De Ridder, whilst at the same time Gorkss leaves his place to provide a gaping hole for De Ridder to run into, by trying to win the ball when the man receiving it is already marked by Pearce :oops: .
Last edited by Ian Royal on 22 Oct 2011 23:47, edited 1 time in total.

fester_royal

by fester_royal » 22 Oct 2011 23:42

Mills is not perfect by miles and makes a number of poor naive decisions but he is young and new to the reading way and I can honestly see improvement in him already from when he joined. The fact Harte was done for pace twice in the ten minutes he was on today set my thoughts in stone, he should never be in the 11 again.

Back to today, a fantastic team display and a brilliant game of football in all. Lack of killer instinct cost 'us' as we should have killed the game off long before but a lot of positives to build on hopefully!

Saints fans really are arrogant gob shites, speaking to a few before the game you'd think they'd won the league already!!

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 22 Oct 2011 23:45

http://thetilehurstend.co.uk/2011/10/22 ... o-winners/

Tilehurst End review up for your perusal.

Just seen the goal again on Football League Show - Pearce has Do Prado in his pocket, Gorkss comes out recklessly to challenge, Do Prado flicks it round the corner to De Ridder who is totally unmarked by either HRK or Mills (or Gorkss who would have been there to cover). Cummings does nothing wrong except maybe sell himself too easily. I'd say Gorkss was the most at fault which is a shame because he had a great game.

catfork

by catfork » 23 Oct 2011 00:02

I think the criticism of Mills is a little harsh. His passing was good and he provided a bit of pace down the left. HRK baffles me, he seems to be able to come on with 20 mins to go and terrorise defences, and yet is anonymous when he starts. (tbf he actually did this on tuesday when he started and was anonymous until about 70 mins) He's clearly got the ability.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Oct 2011 00:06

Tony Le Mesmer
Lower West Seems unfair to compare a player (nearing the end of his career) who has played over 50 games at both european and international level let along premiership. With a guy still learning his trade.

As long as there is continual improvement in his game. He has my vote. A young Shorey wasn't infalliable either when he first arrived at the club.

Unless you're of the opinion that he his not showing any improvement at all. Dont even begin to compare him to Shorey.

Shorey arrived far from being the polished article from Leyton Orient. Matured with experience. Positional play in particular wasn't good in his early days at Reading.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 23 Oct 2011 00:08

I noticed one thing. Joesph Mills seems to insist on having the J. on the back on his shirt next to Mills. Is he trying to tell us that he is nothing like M. Mills?!? Who has obviously left, but unnecessarily find the need to add a "J." next to his surname when there is no other Mills.

Christ. :roll:

273 posts