Back from the game-saints

273 posts
No Fixed Abode

Re: Back from the games-saints

by No Fixed Abode » 23 Oct 2011 00:12

SpaceCruiser I noticed one thing. Joesph Mills seems to insist on having the J. on the back on his shirt next to Mills. Is he trying to tell us that he is nothing like M. Mills?!? Who has obviously left, but unnecessarily find the need to add a "J." next to his surname when there is no other Mills.

Christ. :roll:

I think he wants to diffentiate himself between him and heather mills. Although I'm not sure why as they both useless with their left leg.
Last edited by No Fixed Abode on 23 Oct 2011 00:13, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Oct 2011 00:13

SpaceCruiser I noticed one thing. Joesph Mills seems to insist on having the J. on the back on his shirt next to Mills. Is he trying to tell us that he is nothing like M. Mills?!? Who has obviously left, but unnecessarily find the need to add a "J." next to his surname when there is no other Mills.

No it's to distinguish him from Jack in the youth team.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 23 Oct 2011 00:15

lol! that was a good one Ian

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 23 Oct 2011 00:31

No Fixed Abode

I think he wants to diffentiate himself between him and heather mills. Although I'm not sure why as they both useless with their left leg.

Is Heather good at anything then?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Oct 2011 00:32

Cricket, baseball any thing where you need to hit something with a wooden object.
Last edited by sandman on 23 Oct 2011 00:44, edited 1 time in total.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 23 Oct 2011 00:43

The Rouge I am sure neither Mills nor Harte are what we need at LB.. We have a problem there - and I expect McDermott to address this in Jan. Please.

I think you can bank on it.

A venue will be booked for Ian Harte's retirement party whilst a very promising young left back will be offered a much improved contract.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 23 Oct 2011 00:54

Woodcote Royal
The Rouge I am sure neither Mills nor Harte are what we need at LB.. We have a problem there - and I expect McDermott to address this in Jan. Please.

I think you can bank on it.

A venue will be booked for Ian Harte's retirement party whilst a very promising young left back will be offered a much improved contract.

Which is a very probable thing. I am sure you'll be happy to cavort with a well known mincer if either leaves?

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 23 Oct 2011 02:24

I think it is to differentiate himself from MIck Mills - moustachioed player for Ipswich Town circa 1970s.

manny96

by manny96 » 23 Oct 2011 03:25

Well, there's Jack Mills but this still doesn't explain it.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 23 Oct 2011 07:32

Ian Royal
MmmMonsterMunch We need a new LB. Sorry but Mills was useless.

What the hell are you on!?

I have to agree with this, I think he was plainly to blame for their equaliser (not spotting nor going with the obvious run from De Ridder) and his distribution was poor. That said I think it would be better not to have Kanu in front of him as he is also too inexperienced....

That said he is not the finished article and with another year or so of experience could be pretty good.

Unfortunately, thanks to our "budget", we have to bear with the learners

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 23 Oct 2011 07:58

Barry the bird boggler
Ian Royal
MmmMonsterMunch We need a new LB. Sorry but Mills was useless.

What the hell are you on!?

I have to agree with this, I think he was plainly to blame for their equaliser

Except that he obviously wasn't at fault for the goal, HRK/McAnuff was marking De Ridder and Gorkss went completely AWOL.

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 23 Oct 2011 08:48

Overall I thought we were the better side but we still have defensive lapses which have cost us the win against both Derby and Southampton. These lapses have not been down to the same individual and I have seen nothing to suggest that we have anyone to bring in who will necessarily make us better defensively.

Last night Federici was very good again when called upon especially with the save from Martin, whose free header appeared to be down to poor defending from Leigertwood. Generally we were pretty good defensively except for that incident and the goal. HRK was the most culpable for the goal although Gorkss was also responsible. I think there is a tendency for some people to base their opinions on preconceived ideas. Mills is not at all to blame for the goal, nor was he for the first Derby goal although in my view he was at fault for the second Derby goal. I though his distribution yesterday was disappointing and his corners a mixed bag. I might change my mind after the next game but although Mills isn't great at the moment I think recalling Harte would be taking a backward step when I think we are trying to look forwards.

In midfield Ledge and Karacan were back to the form of last season. McAnuff too was decent yesterday. HRK was OK but I can't help thinking defenders would rather face him than Kebe.

The front two worked hard against a solid defence although nothing really fell their way.

We are doing OK at the moment although we have tough fixtures ahead of us. Not much to suggest we are going to challenge for the top six but we look like we should have a decent season.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 23 Oct 2011 09:00

I'm liking the spine of the team at the moment, the centre halfs look sound as does centre mid and Le fondre looks a great buy.

The problem is clearly at full back, mainly because they give you pretty much, nothing going forward. Cummings doesn't want the ball in the other sides half and Mills is, at present, whilst willing, pretty awful. Every aspect of his game from open play to set pieces to defending to even throws ins was terrible yesterday.

I'm not writing him off as he's young and has shown some ability but he shouldn't be a irst team player at the moment. As for Cummings, he has to get more confident going forward or our attacking options are a bit stunted by the lack of an effective overlap. I'd prefer a fit Griffin at the moment.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 23 Oct 2011 09:09

De ja vu having fired another blank in the first half of game that we dominated and controlled.

A great team effort and performance by 9 of the players.

Mills and Hal Robosn Kanu (HRK) were missing and not are simply good enough.

Harte should come in for Mills now with Kebe replacing HRK for the Palace game next week

Witnessed one of the greatest saves made at the Mad Stad by the Saints keeper Kelvin Davis from Leighterwood's first half effort.

2 points dropped

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 23 Oct 2011 09:27

Good game, fair result!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 23 Oct 2011 09:31

I really enjoyed that game. We were the better team and deserved all 3 points but that lack of concentration cost us. I wanted Kebe to do so much more when he came on, but he rarely took the ball down the line. I think Mills is slightly out of his depth at the moment - I'd say he was definitely one for the future, but too many times he gives the ball away - most of his passes don't reach one of our players - and whilst I don't want to assassinate his playing abilities on here, I do think we cannot afford to keep him in the side if we want to actually compete for a play off place this season. For me, Harte is too slow, and even his set pieces, before losing his place in the team, were "meh" to say the least. He's lost his edge. He might have got it back now, as he's had to sit on the sidelines and watch Mills in his place - but I think he's had his day. Sad to say.

Still, with Ian Royal being the fount of all knowledge - having watched yesterday's game on a dodgy stream on his computer and missing the last 20 minutes, knowing that Joe has J Mills on his shirt to differentiate himself from the youth team player, Jack and confidently stating at the start of the season that Hunt would get 15 goals this season, we should all be able to lie back and enjoy the warm glow that Ian's spot on contributions make to our footballing watching lives.

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 23 Oct 2011 09:52

SpaceCruiser
No Fixed Abode

Is Heather good at anything then?

She hasn't got a left foot

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 23 Oct 2011 09:58

The main culprit for their goal is Gorkss who gets sucked into the ball, which is then rolled into the space he's just vacated.

Yes Hal should've tracked DeRidder (sic) but if Gorkss had held position he would've just picked up the ball and cleared the danger. Cummings just overcommitted himself and should've force DeRidder toward the goal line instead across, but you also have to credit their player for quick feet and a great finish.

I can't understand why people are calling for Harte to be brought back in. Don't get me wrong, I think Ian Harte is a great footballer, probably has the best touch in the squad and last season was our best defender, but IMHO this is one season too far for him. He's never had great pace but for most of last season his defensive abilities and positional awareness would make up for that. But this season that doesn't seem to be the case and if he'd been on for 90 minutes Soton would've had a field day down their right flank. I'm not saying that Mills is a world beater but at the moment he's the alround best option we've got so stop knocking him and actually support the bloke who's only been at the club for a couple of months so is still settling in.

robbieroyal

by robbieroyal » 23 Oct 2011 10:07

Anyone else think Pearce done a good job on Lambert??

Legs was class for me, Mills was shown up a bit, I counted about 4 or 5 complete un forced errors on his behalf but saying that i'm a fan of his. It wasn't long ago we all wanted Harte out and Mills in!! Mills will come good, it just may be a bit of a rollercoaster this season with his performances.

I think if we play that tempo weekly we are looking at top 6.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Oct 2011 10:08

Alan Partridge I missed the first 20mins driving back from my game today but it was an enjoyable game for the other 70. Reading looked fit, hungry and energetic all night and caused Southampton problems but unfortunately Reading just lack a little bit of quality for all their effort. Le Fondre is a super little player and him and Church work well and I thought they both had very decent games up front. Leigertwood rightly has been praised his passing was good, he won the ball back countless times and deserved his goal. Only Davis stopped him scoring the goal of the season.

Reading are a bit naieve defensively at times and for some of the good blocks made by Gorkks and co, the goal was utterly avoidable, two players go for and get nowhere near the same ball, Mills is stood around doing nothing and his man for the 3rd goal in a week cuts in and slams home. Funnily it was the sending off whcih woke Southampton up because until then there was only one winner.

:|

Watch the replays and you will realise it wasn't Mills' fault at all ( although I thought it was at the time). It wasn't his man. It was Robson-Kanu who was marking him and chose that moment to have a kip! :evil:

cmonurz McAnuff was marking De Ridder in the lead up to the goal, and simply didn't follow his run.

McAnuff is skinny, Robson-Kanu is chunky! It was chunky who was marking him and then went to sleep.
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 23 Oct 2011 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

273 posts