Thames Sports Investment

5145 posts
Linden Jones' Tash

Re: Thames Sports Investment

by Linden Jones' Tash » 29 May 2012 20:34

http://www.francefootball.fr/#!/news/20 ... russe.html

It's on the bible of football site, so it must be true....

Anyone for Eden Hazards' younger brother (plays for Caen I think)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 May 2012 20:36

winchester_royal Ermm...the 106 record is the history. The memories are the history. The players are the history. The staff are the history.

The name of the stadium..is not.

Is associated with the history. And how exactly do you think you build history with a stadium name, if it doesn't stay the same?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 29 May 2012 20:40

Ian Royal
winchester_royal Ermm...the 106 record is the history. The memories are the history. The players are the history. The staff are the history.

Is associated with the history. And how exactly do you think you build history with a stadium name, if it doesn't stay the same?

John Oster was associated with the 106 season...should we have kept him?

Maybe I'm just not a sentimental person, but I feel absolutely no attachment to the stadium name, and can't really understand why anyone would get upset at changing the name. History is built through success, success is built through investment, investment is enabled by revenue enhancement.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 29 May 2012 20:48

winchester_royal
Ian Royal

Maybe I'm just not a sentimental person, but I feel absolutely no attachment to the stadium name, and can't really understand why anyone would get upset at changing the name. History is built through success, success is built through investment, investment is enabled by revenue enhancement.

Absolutely: if it was Auto Trader Park or Hurst Stadium (which, if it had made commercial sense to SJM at the time, it could have been) would you (Ian) have been bothered?

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 29 May 2012 20:53

Victor Meldrew Serious question-will this mean a stadium name change?
Mr Mad always said that he didn't really want to have the stadium named after him so do we think that he will modestly suggest that now is an appropriate time for change as with The Emirates,Etihad,galpharm,KC etc?

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=111919

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 29 May 2012 20:54

ZacNaloen
tomrfcurz 100% Madejski said on BBCRB that Anton's dad was a billionaire twice over

Yep I recall this as well

Ah, well it's not twice over :wink:

CJC

by CJC » 29 May 2012 20:55

Great news to finally get this all sorted, was getting worried it would drag on all summer. As for the stadium name, i very much doubt Sir John would allow it to be changed in the near future.....we all know how he likes his name on pretty much everything. it may even be part of the deal!

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 29 May 2012 21:05

Deal done! GTFI!!!

It was never really in doubt though, was it?

Mr Cinema

by Mr Cinema » 29 May 2012 21:32

CJC Great news to finally get this all sorted, was getting worried it would drag on all summer. As for the stadium name, i very much doubt Sir John would allow it to be changed in the near future.....we all know how he likes his name on pretty much everything. it may even be part of the deal!

Madejski paid to have his name on the stadium, I would imagine someone would have to pay a fair few bob to take it off.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 29 May 2012 21:35

Mr Cinema
CJC Great news to finally get this all sorted, was getting worried it would drag on all summer. As for the stadium name, i very much doubt Sir John would allow it to be changed in the near future.....we all know how he likes his name on pretty much everything. it may even be part of the deal!

Madejski paid to have his name on the stadium, I would imagine someone would have to pay a fair few bob to take it off.

so being the club owner he paid himself :shock:

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 29 May 2012 21:35

Mr Cinema

I believe it was a suggestion from a minion that he modestly accepted.

I'd happily chip in for a rearrangement of letters to form READING FC

Fluff

by Fluff » 29 May 2012 21:36

Deal confirmed. Wahey

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 29 May 2012 21:43

I seem to remember madejski saying in an interview a few years ago that he didn't suggest calling the stadium after himself someone else suggested it.

But you could say he paid to have it named the madejski stadium being that he has ploughed some cash in to the club

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 May 2012 21:48

wolsey
winchester_royal
Ian Royal Is associated with the history. And how exactly do you think you build history with a stadium name, if it doesn't stay the same?

Absolutely: if it was Auto Trader Park or Hurst Stadium (which, if it had made commercial sense to SJM at the time, it could have been) would you (Ian) have been bothered?

As I said, I wasn't keen on Madejski when the decision was made. But that's the name and the name it should stay. My attitude would be the same no matter what the stadium name was or was being changed to.

Personally Winch... I think there is a world of difference between keeping a player (they change regularly anyway) and changing a stadium name. If it earnt us a few million quid would you be happy for our name to change to Tesco Royals FC? I doubt very much that you would. You (presumably) draw the line before that. I draw the line before stadium name changes instead.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 29 May 2012 21:48

Chaney
Mr Cinema

so being the club owner he paid himself :shock:

FFS when will people on here realise that a football club's account =/= the club's owner's account. If SJM paid money to the club for stadium naming rights, that stays in the club's account unless he takes it out. AFAIK SJM has never taken anything out of the club (apart from loan repayments) in his entire 20 year reign and this is why the cries of "where has all the money gone" are so ill-founded.

Same goes for the fella that posted a few pages back "we're one of the richest clubs in the world!" no we're not, unless Boris personally deposits his entire personal wealth into the club's bank accounts. Which he won't do as Reading FC is an investment from TSI's perspective. People (Boris, Anton, etc) have given money to TSI to invest into Reading FC ultimately to make a return. If you lower the costs (read: keep the club's current ethos) you maximise the return. Sadly investment vehicles don't invest in football club's for the fun of it, they intend to make profit in order to attract investors. Anybody out there that thinks TSI are going to spunk £7m on one player to make the fans happy is deluded.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 29 May 2012 21:56

Ian Royal Personally Winch... I think there is a world of difference between keeping a player (they change regularly anyway) and changing a stadium name. If it earnt us a few million quid would you be happy for our name to change to Tesco Royals FC? I doubt very much that you would. You (presumably) draw the line before that. I draw the line before stadium name changes instead.

Absolutely, and in now way would I go along with changing colours or anything like that, because they make up what Reading FC is. Teams change stadiums to grow and evolve, I personally don't see why it shouldn't be the same nor the name.

But as you say it's all down to where the individual draws the line.

Just wondering here though,,, If selling the naming rights gave us the extra couple of million we needed to budget for Gylfi would you be in favour of it then?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 May 2012 21:56

Mike Hunt
"Swansea > Liverpool - bah!"
He said that he wasnt leaving Watford for Reading. He will go to Liverpool. Get Gylfi In

TBF (and I live in the Watford area so hear all the news) I don't think he ever said he wasn't leaving Watford. He did say it would be disrespectful to talk to the media about leaving. A subtle but important difference. Contrast to Parjudas who told the supporters that he loved Reading and hoped to be their manager for a very long time, just days before jumping into bed with Trevor.

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 29 May 2012 21:59

Friday's Legacy
ZacNaloen
tomrfcurz 100% Madejski said on BBCRB that Anton's dad was a billionaire twice over

Yep I recall this as well

Ah, well it's not twice over :wink:

It's not like SJM is a stranger to hyperbole. Once a salesman, always a salesman.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 29 May 2012 22:00

I think FL's saying that Madejski was underselling Boris' wealth rather than engaging in hyperbole

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 May 2012 22:04

Anton, Я благодарен Вам за помощь. [Ya blaga`daren Vam za `pomashch]

Моё судно на воздушной подушке полно угрей
(Moio sudno na vozdušnoy poduške polno ugrey)

5145 posts