Seven Crucial Questions

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Seven Crucial Questions

by MmmMonsterMunch » 22 Jan 2012 21:11

TBF it does seem like you are shamelessly plugging your own writing on here.

Muguire

by Muguire » 22 Jan 2012 21:12

Svlad Cjelli Whatever. Someone needs to be asking a few awkward questions to disrupt the general "everyong is wonderful, who will we buy" love in?

PS - Considering the previous post came from someone whose big and original idea is trying to pass themselves off as an established and actually witty poster, I think I need a new irony meter. Mine appears to be broken!

Cracking stuff. dim the lights, light a cigar, make yourself feel important. No-one can answer your questions. You'll know more in March.

'greed with MmmMonsterMunch. 100% that!

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 22 Jan 2012 21:15

To be fair, the fact that there are a lack of replies on this thread when there are 100's of giddy ones on the TSI thread shows how divvy most people on here are.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 22 Jan 2012 21:16

TheMaraudingDog To be fair, the fact that there are a lack of replies on this thread when there are 100's of giddy ones on the TSI thread shows how divvy most people on here are.

Not as divvy as your avatar.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 22 Jan 2012 22:07

Not your greatest moment Dirk.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Jan 2012 22:08

paultheroyal Not your greatest moment Dirk.

He's got some pretty valid concerns even if he is coming across as a bit up himself.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 22 Jan 2012 22:14

Ian Royal
paultheroyal Not your greatest moment Dirk.

He's got some pretty valid concerns even if he is coming across as a bit up himself.

Probably has but the latter part of your post overshadows the rest.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Where's the money coming from?

by weybridgewanderer » 23 Jan 2012 10:43

Svlad Cjelli what happens if the deal doesn't happen or if the new owners fail the Football League's "Directors and Owners Test" (previously the "Fit and Proper Persons Test").

ROFL

Has anybody ever failed this test?

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 23 Jan 2012 10:53

Feels a little bit like someone who is normally ITK on all Reading matters being a little miffed that they weren't ITK on the most important news of all...

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 23 Jan 2012 11:02

They are legitimate questions that any fan should be asking of their owners, new or established; however, the reality is that many are almost rhetorical, or can only be answered once things have been clarifed.

Its not unusual in business for those buying a company to want to stay in the shadows until everything is signed and sealed; there may be reasons why they don't want to be publically announced at this time (and anyway, I'm sure that for everyone who says "why are they so secretive?" now, there would be an equal number of people saying that they are just publicity hungry if the investors publicised who they were!)

"What will be their relationship with the fans" is - imho - irrelevant at this time; what if they came out and said "Actually, we just see the fans as people to fleece so we can make as much money as possible from this purchase" what would actually happen? The sale would stop because "the fans" would get the hump?

Of course not.

At worst you are looking at 10 weeks before everything is clarified; after that, everything will come into the open and then the conspiracy theories can begin in earnest!!!

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 23 Jan 2012 11:11

Mr Angry is right, you just can't stop yourself being a fan because you don't like the owners, you just hope for the best and liberal applications of lubricant when they screw you over!

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 23 Jan 2012 11:15

I have sympathy with the caution shown (after all, this is the most significant moment in RFC's history ) however I can't get along with the "we must be given more information, and quickly" message.

It's really not got anything to do with us [as customers] in a business sense. I don't see any problem in conducting the transaction behind close doors and with anonymity in the same way that we don't conduct player acquisitions under the close scrutiny of the fanbase either. Just because we didn't know we were in negotiations with eg. Kaspars Gorkss doesn't mean he wasn't a good player when we finally announced him.

Biggest worry for me would be that Sir John is selling through necessity and that he might not be able to be as picky about a buyer as he may have once liked.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 23 Jan 2012 11:25

Maguire I have sympathy with the caution shown (after all, this is the most significant moment in RFC's history ) however I can't get along with the "we must be given more information, and quickly" message.

It's really not got anything to do with us [as customers] in a business sense. I don't see any problem in conducting the transaction behind close doors and with anonymity in the same way that we don't conduct player acquisitions under the close scrutiny of the fanbase either. Just because we didn't know we were in negotiations with eg. Kaspars Gorkss doesn't mean he wasn't a good player when we finally announced him.

Biggest worry for me would be that Sir John is selling through necessity and that he might not be able to be as picky about a buyer as he may have once liked.

Fans have zilch control over promotion and relegation too, it's all part of the fun and escapism of following a football club. In the same way, if it all goes to plan, that would be great but if it all goes wrong, that would be interesting too, more interesting than the current 'ticking over' mode.

Let's be honest, if it went spectacularly wrong and we had to have a save our club campaign, that would be like all of the original poster's xmas's rolled into one in any case.

Red
Hob Nob Regular

by Red » 23 Jan 2012 11:27

Schards#2
Maguire I have sympathy with the caution shown (after all, this is the most significant moment in RFC's history ) however I can't get along with the "we must be given more information, and quickly" message.

Fans have zilch control over promotion and relegation too, it's all part of the fun and escapism of following a football club. In the same way, if it all goes to plan, that would be great but if it all goes wrong, that would be interesting too, more interesting than the current 'ticking over' mode.

Let's be honest, if it went spectacularly wrong and we had to have a save our club campaign, that would be like all of the original poster's xmas's rolled into one in any case.

lol - exactly.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Jan 2012 11:28

im excited as anyone schards, but that current ticking over mode got us to the playoff final

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 23 Jan 2012 11:31

Maguire I have sympathy with the caution shown (after all, this is the most significant moment in RFC's history* ) however I can't get along with the "we must be given more information, and quickly" message.

Accidentlaly deleted the bit here that said "since Sir John bought the club". Think I was going to rewrite it slightly but deleted it all together.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 23 Jan 2012 11:33

Schards#2

I'd have a bit more sympathy with this view if I didn't think you'd the first poster to damn the new powers if things did start to go wrong.

Personally I don't think SJM's heart has been in it for a quite a while and for that reason, cautiously welcome a new era.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 23 Jan 2012 11:39

Maguire
Schards#2

I'd have a bit more sympathy with this view if I didn't think you'd the first poster to damn the new powers if things did start to go wrong.

Personally I don't think SJM's heart has been in it for a quite a while and for that reason, cautiously welcome a new era.

As I've said before, I follow football as a bit of escapism where you can be disproportionately outraged by a refereeing decision or some minor slight by an opposing manager. A stable business model whereby we do our best and then sell off as many players as is necessary each year to balance the books, thereby, virtually ensuring a slow but steady decline isn't really pushing my escapism buttons TBH.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Jan 2012 11:42

were you totally unexcited by our appearance at wembley?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jan 2012 11:45

I quite enjoy consistent promotion chases with few relegation threats and the occasional big highlight.

Beats the arse off worrying about whether we'll ever play above tier three again or actually cease to exist.