How can a team playing so poorly have such good current form

136 posts
Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

How can a team playing so poorly have such good current form

by Chaney » 06 Mar 2012 21:49

Just home from the game and I have to say that even our most ardent fan wouldn`t be able to argue the fact that it was mind numbingly mediocre yet again, without doubt as form figures show we are the form team of the championship right now and Brian is taking all the plaudits.
But in the mind of all you nobbers hand on heart when was the last time that you walked away from the grounmd saying we played well?
we are a team based on strong defence with a midfileld that shuts down opponents, but in the attacking third we lack creativity , form figures will argue against this fact, but apart from the goal tonight do you remember another shot on target, think back to previous games, it has the same pattern. don`t get me wrong I would much rather us play badly and win than play well and lose..that is all we seem to be doing lately.
all i am asking is a little entertainment with my 3 points once in a while.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

Re: How can a team playing so poorly have such good current form

by Handsome Man » 06 Mar 2012 21:56

Me too.

I have often wandered why we can't just sort things out and start playing like Brazil in 1970. Seven wins in a row just isn't enough.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 06 Mar 2012 21:57

Can't argue with any of that, but we have that winning mentality now and a formation that teams just can't break down or penetrate.

Not pretty, but a successful formula. Just what you need to be 'winners' in this league. Very reminiscent of the 85/6 team. I'll take it thanks.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 06 Mar 2012 22:01

we seem to have a good habit of grinding out results yes, 21 points out of 21 can`t be sniffed at long may it continue, i expected to be shot down when i postedf this, i got thick skin.
bring on the abuse, but i still want to entertained :D

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 06 Mar 2012 22:05

The last time I can remember us playing quite well was Hull at home - we lost.

If the objective is to get out of the league & nothing more then I can't argue with what we're doing. It seems to be working. Having said that we'll need to up our game for the run in as there are tougher test ahead. Pompey looked awful - they are relegated for sure.

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 06 Mar 2012 22:05

I would much rather win and not play 'well' than play like Barcelona and not get results.

21 pts out of 21, we must be doing something right - get behind the team!!

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 06 Mar 2012 22:17

Chaney But in the mind of all you nobbers hand on heart when was the last time that you walked away from the grounmd saying we played well?

Middlesbrough away

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Mar 2012 22:29

I thought we played well.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Mar 2012 22:34

It's not that we are playing poorly but it's how we are setup to win games. I struggled as much as the next man but it us what it is. We play ugly through the middle, frustrate teams, break them down and then attack down the wings. No surprise that's where our goal came from.

This is the Reading way now so best get use to it.

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 06 Mar 2012 22:38

West Ham at home was quite good .... the rest have been average at best.

Still - we're winning, and it doesn't get much better than that, so why complain?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 06 Mar 2012 22:42

Brighton at home was a good performance.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 06 Mar 2012 22:44

We are playing well, we are just more effective than entertaining.

It was quite obvious that tonight the players were playing well within themselves to conserve energy for the run of games to come.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Mar 2012 22:50

What it takes is a team with an excellent defence and work ethic and the quality in attacking areas to do damage with limited numbers of chances. We have all that. We don't keep the ball well or play particularly decent football, but our wingers are deadly, and Roberts has offered us a different dimension up front with a real cutting edge. Karacan, Legs and the defence restrict teams to very few good clear cut chances and Feds saves most of the ones they do get.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 06 Mar 2012 23:05

Poorly compared to what? Arsenal Milan Barca? Or just Swansea, Norwich or Newcastle? You should have seen the previous 140 years! Even the 106 team was direct.

If you never let in a goal, and always score, then you have achieved perfection, whethe real madrid or slough town. How can anyone possibly criticise a team that's won 7 in a row unless they are handpicked worldbeaters? If you don't like it don't go, but don't complain of lack of ambition to get promoted!

Are we looking for "more than promotion"? Roflmao! I demand we in the European champions league on Saturday, with CHAMPAGNE FOOTBALL!

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 06 Mar 2012 23:31

I think to complain about the games lately would be somewhat greedy, but I do often go home wondering if all those texters texting Radio Berks about "another" great performance are going to the same game.

We are looking very solid at the back, but don't really look convincing going forward. I think most neutrals watching Reading would go away scratching their heads about how we are doing so well.

Saying that, another dozen or so gritty victories would be very welcome, and if you leave the ground only moaning that the win wasn't convincing enough, that's a positive sign.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 07 Mar 2012 00:03

Surely the bottom lines is this; Teams that play successful AND highly entertaining football usually cost the sort of money that only comes with Premiership revenue or parachute payments. Even the latter now requires promotion in our case...........................and without handouts from the new owners we couldn't afford the boring "7 wins on the trot" team that has forgotten how to lose but only wins ugly :|

This is a means to an end which is going unbelievably well and will be more than worth it if it brings to end the days that have seen us forced to sell Doyle, Siggy, Long, Kitson etc........................keep the faith, it could all be done and dusted in 12 games!!

manny96

by manny96 » 07 Mar 2012 00:32

This team has a bit of the feel of Norwich last year (albeit playing slightly less attractive football) - 2nd half of the season they were a team that you never felt you'd get points off but which didn't play particularly dazzling football (compared with Swansea, say). They just kept grinding out results and finished automatics comfortably in the end.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 07 Mar 2012 06:03

I think collectively, as a unit, we did what was required. We were super solid, everyone knew their jobs and carried them out to a tee. Testament to the fact that Portsmouth didn't have a single shot on target, despite having a lot of second half possession (or certainly more than they did in the first half.)

However...can we not have a modicum of ball control? It was like watching pinball, especially in the second. The amount of times the ball just bounced off a foot, shin, head and roll to a Portsmouth player (who were almost equally as bad of the same offence.)

Cummings did a good job in the first of assisting Jobi...then stopped doing it. Leigertwood and Karacan couldn't hold onto the ball for 2 seconds and then had to fight tooth and nail to get it back again. (Though Jem's attempts at being attacking midfielder led to a few lol's from me.)

Hunt and Roberts too weren't exempt. Neither could hold the ball, look up and knock it on. Really frustrating. Yeah, it was a bit chilly, a Tuesday game after a Saturday game, a bit of pressure on because of the run, but they should have confidence oozing thru their collective veins by now...but it doesn't show.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 07 Mar 2012 06:33

We continue to grindout results with poor performances, it just shows what the league is like.

Keep a clean sheet and try to nick it 1-0 or by teh odd goal seems to be the game plan.

Not very entertaining but if it gets us the Premier League that will do me.

rfc2001

by rfc2001 » 07 Mar 2012 07:07

As were winning I simply don't care. If we get promoted then bring on the glamour, but for now lets just grind ourselves at of this bloody league!

136 posts