Sean Cummings

Berry

Sean Cummings

by Berry » 18 Apr 2012 12:10

Firstly fantastic achievement for the team and everyone involved, For me Sean Cummings is developing into one of the best Full Backs ever to grace the Mad Stad, he doesnt get the same praise as Harte obviously due to Hartes free kicks and past, but for me Cummings could go on to play at the very highest level.

What a transformation from a player that when joined fans slagged off, for him to knuckle down and work for his place is a testament not only to himself but to McDermotts work ethic.....Well done Sean p.s. Im not related to him or his agent!!

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Sean Cummings

by Dare to Dr£am » 18 Apr 2012 12:13

All over your face!

surrounded by saints

by surrounded by saints » 18 Apr 2012 12:14

Berry Firstly fantastic achievement for the team and everyone involved, For me Sean Cummings is developing into one of the best Full Backs ever to grace the Mad Stad, he doesnt get the same praise as Harte obviously due to Hartes free kicks and past, but for me Cummings could go on to play at the very highest level.

What a transformation from a player that when joined fans slagged off, for him to knuckle down and work for his place is a testament not only to himself but to McDermotts work ethic.....Well done Sean p.s. Im not related to him or his agent!!

spot on!

Berry

by Berry » 18 Apr 2012 12:15

Last night he was "all over the place" due to Kebe"s colour blind passing!!

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 18 Apr 2012 12:17

Berry Firstly fantastic achievement for the team and everyone involved, For me Sean Cummings is developing into one of the best Full Backs ever to grace the Mad Stad, he doesnt get the same praise as Harte obviously due to Hartes free kicks and past, but for me Cummings could go on to play at the very highest level.

Well done Sean on your part in our promotion but I fundamentally disagree with this post, not least because he's like a rabbit in the headlights when he crosses the half way line.

Delighted he's upped his game defensively though so well played to the lad, all those clean sheets, must be doing something right.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 18 Apr 2012 12:19

Beat me to it Schards.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 18 Apr 2012 12:20

*Shaun

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 18 Apr 2012 12:20

<pedant mode on> It's Shaun, not Sean <pedant mode off>

Beaten to it by TBM!!!

Berry

by Berry » 18 Apr 2012 12:22

Schards#2

Well done Sean on your part in our promotion but I fundamentally disagree with this post, not least because he's like a rabbit in the headlights when he crosses the half way line.

Delighted he's upped his game defensively though so well played to the lad, all those clean sheets, must be doing something right.

A la the part of "Could go on to to play at the highest level" he is developing and could become very good, its a tough role being a Full Back, not many players achieve the balance of defence/attack, in the modern game Full Backs start a lot of moves within the game and mistakes can lead to no cover, I for 1 hope he gets it right

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 18 Apr 2012 12:22

Schards#2

Agreed that he has lots to work on going forward. He also gets caught at the far post a bit too much for my liking.

However, in a 1-on-1 situation he is fantastic, the best we've had that I can remember.

dariusz

by dariusz » 18 Apr 2012 12:24

He's terrible on the ball and just panics every time he gets it and lob wedges up the line aimlessly. Can guarantee if it's not Connolly it'll be somebody else taking his place next year. As soon as we had money, striker and right bk were the first positions addressed and rightly so!

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 18 Apr 2012 12:26

Last time we went up a few players rose to the occasion more than expected and seriously upped their game - Stephen Hunt being the main one

Cummer is my vote this time for the above category

Berry

by Berry » 18 Apr 2012 12:26

Also difficult working with a maverick like Kebe in front of you, If he overlaps will Kebe tuck in???

Berry

by Berry » 18 Apr 2012 12:29

dariusz He's terrible on the ball and just panics every time he gets it and lob wedges up the line aimlessly. Can guarantee if it's not Connolly it'll be somebody else taking his place next year. As soon as we had money, striker and right bk were the first positions addressed and rightly so!

So Hartes ok in the Prem??

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 18 Apr 2012 12:31

I'm a massive fan of his - this season he has improved soooo much - I don't see why it can't continue

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 18 Apr 2012 12:34

mr_number I'm a massive fan of his - this season he has improved soooo much - I don't see why it can't continue

Connolly coming in could see it not continue.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 18 Apr 2012 12:47

dariusz He's terrible on the ball and just panics every time he gets it and lob wedges up the line aimlessly. Can guarantee if it's not Connolly it'll be somebody else taking his place next year. As soon as we had money, striker and right bk were the first positions addressed and rightly so!

bollox to you and your sort

Berry

by Berry » 18 Apr 2012 12:50

melonhead

bollox to you and your sort

Exactly, WTF statement is that? Ive just realised whay this has been my first and last post in 4 years...See you on the next promotion!!

Berry

by Berry » 18 Apr 2012 12:52

Nest time I run a coaching session im going to try the "Lob, Wedge" technique, hang on i coach football lol

FinchOwl

by FinchOwl » 18 Apr 2012 12:52

I put this in the back from the game thread, but now there is a thread on Cummings, here it is again

Defending 1v1 situations, I can't fault Cummings. He is very good at this

But on the ball he is poor IMO, not a great deal of composure, too slow to shift the ball on and doesnt pick a pass very well. I have noticed quite a few times recently when Hunt has made a run and then goes ape at Cummings for a poor pass. I think Cummings has contributed to Kebe's relatively poor form this season too.

I prefer full backs who can attack and use the ball wisely as well as defend well(obviously). Like Ian Harte, who despite a lack of pace is still a very good defender and is brilliant on the ball to boot.

Berry If he overlaps will Kebe tuck in???

We play 2 holding midfielders, they should be more than able to cover that space if necessary. As a result of Cummings not overlapping or making inside runs, oppostion teams are finding it far too easy to double or triple up on Kebe, thus making him look a bit dump. Cummings doesnt even need to get the ball, just, make a run to attract a defender and give Jimmy a little bit more space. Once its clear Jimmy wont pass, he drops off again, back into defensive shape and looks for the next opportunity to do it.

Cant help but feel Cummings will be a squad player next season, or loaned out to continue his development. You have to look after the ball in the Premiership and he doesnt do that well enough at the moment