Premiership 2012/13

112 posts
Delboy

Premiership 2012/13

by Delboy » 14 May 2012 08:52

Looking at the strength of the Premiership yesterday and assuming West Ham go up who do you think will get relegated next season. My guess is Wigan, West Brom and Swansea.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Premiership 2012/13

by Pepe the Horseman » 14 May 2012 09:05

Swansea won't go down.

Samrfc01

by Samrfc01 » 14 May 2012 09:12

At least one of the promoted teams will go down.

If Blackpool go up, then i reckon them.

royalZILLAAA

by royalZILLAAA » 14 May 2012 09:13

At this moment in time I'd say we look more likely to struggle than Swansea do; but you never know about second season syndrome and all that.
Wigan managed to turn things around for a while with some really impressive results in the run in as well.
Also, bollocks to 'assuming West Ham will go up'; there's still the matter of a cup final day at Wembley to decide that, when all sorts of crazy stuff could happen.

I think Villa will finally take the plunge, along with two promoted teams. Going to say Blackpool (to spite the OP) and So'ton (not wishing the hollow feeling of relegation upon myself by going for Reading).

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 14 May 2012 09:14

Pepe the Horseman Swansea won't go down.

Agreed, but I do think Norwich will. Very typical promotion team much like we were in 05/06 destined to suffer second season syndrome.

Also, we're winning the league.

robinsfriday

by robinsfriday » 14 May 2012 09:14

Villa are in real danger as RL is no longer pumping his money into the team so they are having to turn to their youth setup. But who knows, might be some quality players.

Southampton need to sort their defence out and could be down there. As could we!

It's a tough call. People talk about WBA being established now however I can't help but think that they will struggle. What's important is who they get in as manager and the backing he gets. QPR will rebuild again and I think they will be stronger next time round.

However, my prediction is Norwich, Southampton & Sunderland. If Blackpool go up they will go down and probably Norwich will stay up.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 14 May 2012 09:14

Blackpool, Villa and Stoke

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 14 May 2012 09:57

Difficult to call without knowing if the TSI investment will go through and level of investment in the event it does there after......

but anyway-

West Brom,
Blackpool,
with TSI - Saints, without - Us

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 14 May 2012 10:01

Depends on management changes and moves in the transfer market. Villa and West Brom will need to make good choices as their new managers and Wigan, Norwich and Swansea need to try and keep hold of theirs as well as their better players of course.

If I were being strictly neutral and as things stand I would have to say any of the promoted teams could find it hard going including Reading. If Blackpool come up I would have to pick them as one of my three to be relegated. Of last season's promoted teams I think Norwich and Swansea will find it harder next season especially Norwich but I think QPR will do OK. I agree with Rockhead when he says Norwich are like we were when we were last in the Premier League. Swansea will probably be OK, certainly if they keep Gylfi.

Clearly Villa have problems and unless things change they could well be in the shake up. I think, like Martinez last year, managers will be a little reluctant to go there but I have a feeling Paul Lambert might end up there. Neither Stoke or Sunderland have been too impressive in the later stages of the season which I sometimes think is an indicator for next season. Not too sure about Wigan. Depends on how the players react to the hype they have engendered in the last few months and whether they keep Martinez.

In the end I will go for Norwich, Stoke and one of the promoted teams.

GSY-Royal

by GSY-Royal » 14 May 2012 10:39

Norwich, Blackpool (if they go up) and Fulham (assuming they lose Dempsey). If West Ham go up then I think it'll be a toss-up between us, them and Saints.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 14 May 2012 10:46

man City, Chelsea and QPR

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 14 May 2012 10:54

*Premier League

Anyway. West Ham/Blackpool, QPR, Wigan (if Martinez jumps).

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 May 2012 11:22

Villa, Reading, West Brom. Swansea, Norwich and Wigan all just survive. If Blackpool go up, replace West Brom with them.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 14 May 2012 11:44

I think we're coming into a slightly odd league, with Blackburn Bolton and Wolves sent packing. Grit and fight are out, whereas flair, short passing and attacking is in. There will be 6 teams who were promoted in the past 2 years, so its hard to look beyond them, but I'll try.

Out of the remaining 14, the "big 6",and more than probably Newcastle and Everton, are not going to get dragged down.

The remaining 6 are interesting. Wigan and Fulham have been mentioned, as have W.B.A. However for me its the form of the other 3 mid table sides that must give us hope.

Stoke, Aston Villa and Sunderland have won 0 of their last 6 games, and 0 of their last 6 away games, and Stoke and Sunderland have only won 2 home games out of 6 home games, Villa have only 1 win in 12 games.

So you would expect those 3 to be involved unless something changes.

Villa will surely fire McLeish. But as documented hes had no money, a tiny squad, player sales and an injured Bent. If Bent, Agbonlahor, Dunne, Given are all fit next season they'll have enough. The history/reputation probably means any signings will be decent, despite lack of funds. Lerners gonna lose a lot more in the Championship. I think they'll be poor again, but will have enough.

Sunderland intrigue me. Bruce would have taken them down I think, but MON's incredible honeymoon kept them in a comfort zone. They;ve faded but you could argue its having nothing to play for. I think O'Neill will have a summer to build his own team, and it may be one dimensional etc, but I think again that they'll improve and stay clear.

Stoke however are different. They spent a lot of money last year to reach that next level and frankly they haven't. They pulled away after a slow start this year, but next season I don't see why they would improve. The fanbase is not behind Pulis, as they have that expectations problem that success brings. I can't see Peter Coates sanctioning another summer of heavy spending and I can't see Pulis abandoning hoofball. They'd be my tip to fall off a cliff.

In my opinion Wigan have a good manager and some good young players who will now have a bit of belief. Fulham also have a great manager and a fairly expensive team, Pogrebniak and Bryan Ruiz weren't cheap but look decent. W.B.A. face an unknown summer. But I think they should be the team to copy. Like our side, Hodgson assembled a solid defence with explosive players to score from anywhere. It would take the appointment of Mcleish to make them strugglers.

Of the aforementioned 6 recently promoted sides, QPR's wealth and paper strength should make them ok. But Sparkys arrogance might be his downfall. If they are struggling again and he can't admit it, Tony Fernandes could well opt for another change which would surley be disastrous.

I think Swanseas tic-tac style has a major defensive flaw. As with Reading under Rodgers, they'd leaked like a sieve when not in possession. I doubt they'll have Sigurdssons goals, and the established teams won't be napping for the 2nd trip to South Wales.

Norwich - God knows. Lambert must be a great manager to win games with that side. Some classy looking attackers mind you but some woeful defenders. Will surely struggle. Ruddy will be crucial, is he as good as people think? I suspect not!

Reading, Southampton and Blackpool will all give it a go, but it will be a dogfight for all 3. I think I'd trust Brian at the helm in such a situation.

West Ham under Alladyce will bruise their way to picking up plenty of points...in the Championship!

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 14 May 2012 11:51

Delboy Looking at the strength of the Premiership yesterday and assuming West Ham go up who do you think will get relegated next season. My guess is Wigan, West Brom and Swansea.

What a ridiculous question to ask before we know what each teams squads will be. You Plonker!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 14 May 2012 12:25

Reading are definitely going down next season. We're like a limited edition Mint Kit Kat, we won't be around for long.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 14 May 2012 12:37

it's a bit early but I'm loving your reverse jinx work as always

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 14 May 2012 12:50

Why not enjoy our first season back instead of engaging in this sort of stuff before the summer even starts? And btw just about everyone tabbed Newcastle as a high value bet to be relegation fodder for the 2011-2012 season at this point last year...in fact many were convinced they were as good as down already. And they're playing in Europe in 2012-2013...

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 14 May 2012 13:09

floyd__streete Reading are definitely going down next season. We're like a limited edition Mint Kit Kat, we won't be around for long.

thought mint kit kat was niceeee

Loyal Royal Royal

by Loyal Royal Royal » 14 May 2012 13:55

floyd__streete Reading are definitely going down next season. We're like a limited edition Mint Kit Kat, we won't be around for long.

i like to think we more like a macdonalds big tasty....not regularly on the menu but will always come back at some stage

112 posts