Players salaries/bonuses

CamberleyRoyal

Players salaries/bonuses

by CamberleyRoyal » 07 Jun 2012 19:31

You will have to trust me with this one but I can reveal a little more into the salaries and bonus scheme in place.

Jason Roberts broke the wages cap at RFC last season (no great surprise there) and was on circa £27k pw including bonuses. Most of the players will be renegotiating their packages now that we are in the Premier League but the club will insist that the salaries drop back down if we get relegated.

The players receive bonuses for assists, goals scored, clean sheets etc depending on their position (no great surprise either) but they will get a £1,000 per point bonus in the Premier League. I am not sure whether this is scaled depending on whether you play but this is quite important as it only applies to the 18 included in the match day squad - this is very important if you are unsure of your starting place or whether you will be a regular in the 18 man squad (specifically new signings - GM as an example!). There is also a bonus pot of circa £1.5m to be shared out amongst the squad if RFC avoid relegation - I would imagine this is also scaled based on appearances etc.

The above should give you some guidance when potential signings and wages are discussed in the press.

royalhaven

Re: Players salaries/bonuses

by royalhaven » 07 Jun 2012 19:51

Interesting stuff, thanks CR. A question about the survival bonus - where do you think that comes from? Directly rom Anton and TSI as direct incentive or rerouting the BPL windfall? Was that offered the last time we were up?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Jun 2012 19:54

CamberleyRoyal You will have to trust me with this one but I can reveal a little more into the salaries and bonus scheme in place.

Jason Roberts broke the wages cap at RFC last season (no great surprise there) and was on circa £27k pw including bonuses. Most of the players will be renegotiating their packages now that we are in the Premier League but the club will insist that the salaries drop back down if we get relegated.

The players receive bonuses for assists, goals scored, clean sheets etc depending on their position (no great surprise either) but they will get a £1,000 per point bonus in the Premier League. I am not sure whether this is scaled depending on whether you play but this is quite important as it only applies to the 18 included in the match day squad - this is very important if you are unsure of your starting place or whether you will be a regular in the 18 man squad (specifically new signings - GM as an example!). There is also a bonus pot of circa £1.5m to be shared out amongst the squad if RFC avoid relegation - I would imagine this is also scaled based on appearances etc.

The above should give you some guidance when potential signings and wages are discussed in the press.

£1k per point? That's gonna be a maximum of about £65k which doesn't seem a lot if many can earn it in less than a month on basic. I suppose it's better than a kick in the arse.

I'd be interested to know how you've gone from spotting a signing by knowing someone / being someone who works in the hotel where that player is having talks. To being privy to player contracts and renumeration policies. :|

blindedbythelights

by blindedbythelights » 07 Jun 2012 19:56

CamberleyRoyal You will have to trust me with this one but I can reveal a little more into the salaries and bonus scheme in place.

I know for a cast iron fact that pretty much all of this post is simply not true

CamberleyRoyal

Players salaries/bonuses

by CamberleyRoyal » 07 Jun 2012 20:15

As I stated on my previous post, I do not work at the hotel but spend time there in meetings etc. On the day in question (when Garath McCleary was present), I was at the hotel all day for work and we had a guided tour of the ground plus dinner in the Directors suite. I also have a few contacts that work/are connected to the club.
I did mention on my previous post that there were other things that may be of interest and I thought the above would be! Sorry but I cannot reveal the specifics of how I know this information but why would I make it up? I am quite happy to keep it to myself and close friends as it seems hard work to share it with others on here.

From the bonus pot (staying up) perspective, I would imagine this would be budgeted for taking into account the next seasons revenue - sorry but I cannot add any greater clarity.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 07 Jun 2012 20:19

We have apparently matched Swansea's terms for Gylfi Sigurdsson, and they were reported as being £35k a week. With what you have said above regarding Jason Roberts being on £27k a week, it does seem to support such a high wage on offer, contrary to what many supporters would believe we would go to at this stage.

I think we all need to realise that we're a very different football club under Anton Zingarevich's ownership. All the talk about not breaking the bank and not vastly increasing wage budgets etc is just to try and prevent other clubs from upping their evaluations of players when they know Reading are interested. Behind the scenes we are more than prepared to compete with the majority of clubs in the Premier League (obviously excluding the top 6 clubs), in terms of wages.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 07 Jun 2012 20:22

CamberleyRoyal! The King of ITKers

CamberleyRoyal

Players salaries/bonuses

by CamberleyRoyal » 07 Jun 2012 20:23

Sorry, for greater clarity I should have said - but they will ALSO get a £1,000 per point bonus in the Premier League.

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 07 Jun 2012 20:34

ignore the doubting dinner ladies, cambers. you were spot on with mccleary when everyone laughed you off the board. cheers for the post. it's very eye opening to see what we're now prepared to pay players to both keep them and bring them in.

I remember when kebe re-signed, sjm said that we wouldn't have been able to keep him without Anton's money, so it wouldn't be a shock to see him on 20k a week now.

Roberts on 27k seems huge as we were a championship club and not sure about promotion at all, so that is bold to say the least.

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 07 Jun 2012 21:47

I just can't imagine us spending more than £15k pw on a Championship player?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Jun 2012 21:57

I wasn't saying CR's making it up, most of it other than the specific figures is pretty elementary anyway.

Did anyone seriously think we got Roberts without gambling on wages at least a little? That the players wouldn't be looking to renegotiate their contracts now? That we wouldn't insist on a relegation wage cut clause? That players don't get bonuses for things like assists, goals, clean sheets etc? That'd there wouldn't be some sort of staying up / position / match result bonus?

Half of the people on here with zero insider knowledge could have come up with that original post.

On the figure quoted for Roberts, I could easily see it as a deal that we'd pay him that for six months, he then takes a ~ £7k a week pay cut if we don't go up, but gets a £3k - £8k a week pay rise if we do go up (maybe with a minimum appearance clause for it to be triggered to ensure he has somethig to do with it.) I'm not so sure about just agreeing to pay him that much for the length of his contract, maybe if it was a bit less...

idle speculation though, and CR has proved a certain reliability in the past...

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 07 Jun 2012 23:27

#CamberleyRoyalForKing

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 07 Jun 2012 23:42

Jason Robert's wage doesn't surprise me. We got him for next to nothing which enabled us to afford his wages.

CamberleyRoyal

Players salaries/bonuses

by CamberleyRoyal » 08 Jun 2012 06:32

RFC had a good run of form after Jason Roberts joined and so his £27k pw INCLUDING bonuses is probably a salary of circa £25k pw with £2k of bonuses etc. RFC won quite a lot of games and Roberts scored a few plus assists (all qualifying for bonuses).

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 08 Jun 2012 07:37

ok... £27k per week last season for Roberts in the championship seems a real bargain to me for what he delivered.

What is in his contract for promotion to the premiership £35k per week, more maybe?

Any ideas where the wage limit for currrent players, new players coming in will be set for this season?

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 08 Jun 2012 07:58

Remember that even under Madejski, although by the end we didn't spend a great deal on transfer fees our wages offered were always competitive and we brought in a lot of good championship players because we would pay better wages than a lot of our rivals

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 08 Jun 2012 08:18

I know that Sonko was on £18k a week when he was with us and it was a lot more than the other players at the time and they were not happy. Considering how much money is in football since we were last in the Prem, I can well believe that we wouldn't bat an eyelid at £27k or £35k tbf.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 08 Jun 2012 09:10

CamberleyRoyal is the bestest.

Thanks Messiah. We shall make a sacrifice in your honour. Just pick a Nobber and it shall be done.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 08 Jun 2012 09:17

What CamberleyRoyal has posted is completely believeable imho, and I would have thought that all of the teams outside the top 6 (& Liverpool) will be in the same ball-park (Rob Green is reported to have been demanding £45K a week which West Ham weren't prepared to give).

Bearing in mind we were paying £25K/week to players in 07/08, its entirely feasible that £35K p/w is realistic.

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 08 Jun 2012 09:27

I'd hazard a guess that the wage structure is fairly competitive with the top end of the Championship (being that SJM has ensured the club is run as a business, so financially quite sound) and then the added bonus pay for performances etc is what effectively would increase the overall weekly pay to between £25k to £35k for the majority of the squad.

It would make perfect sense and would be the reason why the performances got better and better as the season went on...e.g if each player was getting an extra £1k per league position as we went up the table...why wouldn't the team want to perform out of their skin each week?

Most footballers are driven by £££...all of this united front of working for each other and putting the effort in etc...is what the fans want to hear...but at the end of the day the players wouldn't do it if there wasn't something in it for them...a bonus of £1k for 90mins work each week!!!...don't think anyone would turn that down...