Back from the Game - Wimbledon

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

Back from the Game - Wimbledon

by SWLR » 14 Jul 2012 17:21

My first thread of these.

Think final score was 8-0... dodgy keeper.

Who was No.27 - did a fan win a place in the team in a raffle

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

Re: Back from the Game - Wimbledon

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 14 Jul 2012 17:27

SWLR Who was No.27 - did a fan win a place in the team in a raffle

Errr, Karl Sheppard :?

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 14 Jul 2012 17:34

well this is a great start to the thread....

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 14 Jul 2012 17:36

You didn't even get the damn score right.

moonwalklikebas

by moonwalklikebas » 14 Jul 2012 17:44

Saaaaaaaammmmmm
SWLR Who was No.27 - did a fan win a place in the team in a raffle

Errr, Karl Sheppard :?

Hahahaa!! :oops:

robinsfriday

by robinsfriday » 14 Jul 2012 17:48

SWLR My first thread of these.

In-depth analysis. Well written and articulated with a certain personal touch to give the report that extra edge. I like it.

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 14 Jul 2012 17:48

robinsfriday

In-depth analysis. Well written and articulated with a certain personal touch to give the report that extra edge. I like it.

Fordham will be quaking in his boots

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 14 Jul 2012 17:52

Feels like I was there, can hear the roar of the grass and smell of the crowd.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 14 Jul 2012 18:11

It was

Wimbledon 0-7 Reading.

Scorers were Le Fondre (2, 1 pen), Antonio, Church (3) and Obita.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 14 Jul 2012 18:16

A standard pre-season game against a poor AFC side. First half we got a soft pen and Alf put it away albeit unconvincingly blasting it down the middle. His second was much better, a great through ball from Gorkss and Alf got there before the keeper and played a neat chip over him.

Second half was a much stronger Royals side against what looked to be a worse AFC side. The first was a looping header from Antonio right into the corner, then next another header but this time from Church. He then got his second putting in a spilled Roberts shot. His hat trick was 1 on 1 that he put away confidently. Goal of the day was the 6th, Obita hitting a rasping left foot shot right across the keeper into the corner.

Overall a decent day out, we certainly looked a lot better with Ledge and McAnuff playing. I was quite impressed with Hector, pairing with Pearce in the second half. He looks fast, tall, strong and skillful.

Shephard - not impressed, McClearly showed odd moments but lost the ball a lot.

Croydon Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Croydon Royal » 14 Jul 2012 18:32

Shall we try this again?

Nice little ground, friendly club, witnessed all the 'fan-run club' stereotypes that we've heard so much about with AFC.

Went with a Wimbledon supporter who made it clear beforehand just how short of players they are. It showed. The triallists in the second half were woeful and up against the experience of Roberts, McAnuff, Leigertwood etc they just crumbled, hence the scoreline. The keeper in particular, who the AFC fans seemed quite excited about beforehand (he plays for some Aussie A-League club) was absolutely diabolical. First half was much closer though, you could see we were a class above but they defended OK and kept our chances to a relative minimum. We took the lead thanks to a penalty, which Hunt blatantly dived for, cool finish by Alf, and an even cooler finish 10 mins later for his second. He was first to a through-ball and flicked the ball over the onrushing keeper.

With so many goals and players I won't go through everybody, but a few that might be of interest (young players, new signings etc):

Stuart Taylor - Had almost nothing to do, so impossible to assess.
Keown - Hadn't seen him before but looked quite composed. Didn't get forward too much but defended well and sensible use of the ball.
Sean Morrison - Won every header. Got caught out a couple of times, but that's being picky.
Guthrie - Made a couple of sloppy passes, but I was impressed. Always looked to use the ball positively and not afraid to shoot.
McLearey - Lots of stepovers, not much end product. You sense there's more to come, but he lost the ball a lot and he was definitely outshone by the wingers in the second half.
Shorey - I was among the 'happy to have him back' crowd and nothing today changed my attitude. Showed experience when defending and played some nice through-balls to the strikers.
Hector - Played with the type of agression you wouldn't normally expect in a friendly, but made for an imposing performance. Showed his inexperience at times but has definite raw quality.
Antonio - looked really good, playing with much more confidence after the succesful loan spell. But think a lot of that may have to do with knowing the opposition were full of nervous trialists...
Obita - Excellent. Took his goal brilliant (drilled shot from corner of the box) and made some smart runs and crosses. Has a better footballing brain than I remembered/realised.
Church - Shit.

LJ

by LJ » 14 Jul 2012 18:41

Croydon Royal Shall we try this again?

Nice little ground, friendly club, witnessed all the 'fan-run club' stereotypes that we've heard so much about with AFC.

Went with a Wimbledon supporter who made it clear beforehand just how short of players they are. It showed. The triallists in the second half were woeful and up against the experience of Roberts, McAnuff, Leigertwood etc they just crumbled, hence the scoreline. The keeper in particular, who the AFC fans seemed quite excited about beforehand (he plays for some Aussie A-League club) was absolutely diabolical. First half was much closer though, you could see we were a class above but they defended OK and kept our chances to a relative minimum. We took the lead thanks to a penalty, which Hunt blatantly dived for, cool finish by Alf, and an even cooler finish 10 mins later for his second. He was first to a through-ball and flicked the ball over the onrushing keeper.

With so many goals and players I won't go through everybody, but a few that might be of interest (young players, new signings etc):

Stuart Taylor - Had almost nothing to do, so impossible to assess.
Keown - Hadn't seen him before but looked quite composed. Didn't get forward too much but defended well and sensible use of the ball.
Sean Morrison - Won every header. Got caught out a couple of times, but that's being picky.
Guthrie - Made a couple of sloppy passes, but I was impressed. Always looked to use the ball positively and not afraid to shoot.
McLearey - Lots of stepovers, not much end product. You sense there's more to come, but he lost the ball a lot and he was definitely outshone by the wingers in the second half.
Shorey - I was among the 'happy to have him back' crowd and nothing today changed my attitude. Showed experience when defending and played some nice through-balls to the strikers.
Hector - Played with the type of agression you wouldn't normally expect in a friendly, but made for an imposing performance. Showed his inexperience at times but has definite raw quality.
Antonio - looked really good, playing with much more confidence after the succesful loan spell. But think a lot of that may have to do with knowing the opposition were full of nervous trialists...
Obita - Excellent. Took his goal brilliant (drilled shot from corner of the box) and made some smart runs and crosses. Has a better footballing brain than I remembered/realised.
Church - Shit.

If you're trying to be ironic or clever here, then its not really working. Church played really well today, took his goals well, and first and foremost looked more confident. Whether he leaves or not, which seems likely, all the church attacking is getting tiresome..

bennno

by bennno » 14 Jul 2012 18:45

Odd one today....

Antonio looked rampant on the ball, put away a decent looping header before setting up another for church, he then almost skinned the whole other team before shooting wide. By comparison McClearly didn't do much of note, HRK was better.

Roberts looked a bit subdued but Church was on fire, loads more effort and pace and put 3 away - one of which was a rebound from a scuffed shot from Roberts.

Odd, on todays performance you would be keeping Antonio and Church and shipping out Roberts and McClearly - not the other way round.

Guthrie was excellent as a playmaker in the middle, Gorks really showed his class as a centre back and Hector stood out in the second half. Thought Morrison did ok.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 14 Jul 2012 18:51

robinsfriday

Well I had to go and have a rest after the 5 minute cycle home.

I too was standing with a Don's friend to the left of the Reading section. He was the one who had added it up to 8, but then he had his hands over his face evrytime that 'keeper went for the ball... the header was a classic.

Now I know who our right back in the first half was too.

btw was it me or did the game kick off early.

bennno

by bennno » 14 Jul 2012 18:53

Presume it was Pierce Sweeney at right back first half?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 14 Jul 2012 18:58

It was niall known at rb in the first half

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 Jul 2012 19:01

RockheadRumple You didn't even get the damn score right.

He left before the end to beat the queue out of the car park!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 Jul 2012 19:02

Saw their second half keeper waiting to catch the bus after the game.

He missed that too!!

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 14 Jul 2012 20:03

bennno Presume it was Pierce Sweeney at right back first half?

It was Keown, his dad was around before the game posing for pics and shaking hands with strangers.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 14 Jul 2012 20:25

ZacNaloen It was niall known at rb in the first half

oxf*rd autocorrect keown* obvs