Back from the Game - Stoke City (H)

234 posts
East End Lady

Re: Back from the Game - Stoke City (H)

by East End Lady » 18 Aug 2012 19:07

Just to say if you post on here and sit in y24 low down and left your jacket, we have it and will bring it back next game.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 18 Aug 2012 19:08

I thought we looked solid at the back, and were well in the game throughout apart from a 15min spell when they really stepped up.

Mcleary should start next game, i would actually give him MOM based on what he did as soon as he came on things changed.

It is still very early days, one thing that caught my eye was our fitness didnt seem to be up to speed, i know we have stepped up to the prem but the tempo is slower and stamina/fitness is something i was thinking we would top over most teams.

Harte will get caught time and time again it is only a matter of time before he is obviously found out, still a good point given the circumstances and we can go to the bridge and just try and play a gameplan. One thing we will always have an issue with his our bench in comparison to most of the other teams, hopefully we get another striker in

RedRum

by RedRum » 18 Aug 2012 19:09

LoyalRoyalFan
KDRF
Was dissapointed with: Gunts, gave away the ball way too often and didnt really offer anything going forward

Absolute nonsense.

He made a number of overlapping runs and got forward on numerous occasions. He's a right-back with a primary role to defend, not to be a right-winger.

Agree. He did have a shaky moment in the first half where he gave a few balls away, but other than that I don't really recall Stoke getting past him. Also got forward well on a few occasions. Cummings may have to sit and watch for a lot of this season.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 18 Aug 2012 19:14

Feds - 6, good but that mistake perhaps lost us 3 points.
Gunter - 6 average, easy passes misplaced, ok defensively, some good moments. Prefer Cummings though.
Pearce/Gorkks - 7 solid, Gorkks missed a great chance
Harte - 7 good forward and back but one or two poor balls in
McAnuff - 7 ran lots, but tried to do too much sometimes
Ledge - 8 as good in the prem as in the championship
Guthrie - 8 fantastic passing, but looked lightweight vs stoke
HRK - skinned their RB a lot, looked dangerous
Pog - 7 wasn't going to win much in the air, had a shot deflected, header saved, could've won a pen
ALF - 8 ran everywhere, good penalty, lacked quality on a few attempted passes though

McCleary - 8 made the difference etc etc
Hunt - 6 won lots in the air

Atmosphere was great at times

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 18 Aug 2012 19:15

RoyalBlue
Yes, Whitehead finally got the red card he had been looking for all game but should have gone some 15-20 minutes prior to that for one of the most blatent and cynical body checks you are ever likely to see on Pog as he threatened to break into the area. Since when has a challenge like that not been deemed worthy of a yellow (and therefore followed by a red if Whitehead was the offender)?

Pog fell through the defenders looking for the penalty, ref got that right even if he got other decisions wrong.

+ Back 4 very solid but Gunter very unadventurous until last 15.
+ Guthrie far and away our best player, does mean a change in tactics for us though as we now look to play through the middle when it used to be about getting it in the channels. Reminds me of Caskey in his prime.
+ Pog a willing runner but up against two very physical defenders and probably never going to be his likeliest best game. Has a Rooneyesque tendency to try to run THROUGH defenders instead of ROUND them!
+ McCleary great when he came on, will have to start ahead of HRK who looks like a good player just not yet in the prem.
+ Legs and Guthrie excellent combination but defenders have to learn not to bypass them, especially if the target is ALF's head.
+ 1-1 fair result, Stoke play like Reading but with more 'gamesmanship' - lets not kid ourselves about that - and more experience.
+ Feds will bounce back.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 18 Aug 2012 19:16

Fair result. We had the better of possession but didn't do anything with it. Thought McCleary looked raw but fat and offered much more than HRK. How many shots on target did we get though? I counted the header.

To be honest, my enjoyment of the game was spoilt by finding out that I'm gonna be stuck behind a complete racist animal for the rest of the season.ive never sat in y26 before but was well prepared for the fan to fan banter, but this horrible fukk is just too much to take. Calling a stoke fan a 'nigger' a 'wog' and his white, presumably, father 'wog meat' throughout made me feel nauseous. I told him what I thought of him at half time but what else are you supposed to do?

Kingsley Junior

by Kingsley Junior » 18 Aug 2012 19:17

Bit bemused that people are being critical of Pog based on today. Thought he was beginning to look very dangerous before he was taken off, should have had a penalty, got wiped out on the edge of the box for a free kick as well when he was bursting through. Plenty of potential there, unless people were expecting an instant hat trick from him. Not brilliant, but not bad. We will get better, he will get better.

Feds was brilliant last season so he can be forgiven a rare howler. Defence gives me hope that we won't get be on the end of the 5-0 hammerings handed out by midtable teams today. Wasn't particularly impressed with Gunter but happy to give him a chance. Thought McCleary offered something when he came on, hadn't taken much notice of him at Forest so was pleasantly surprised as he was anonymous when I saw him at Wimbledon a few weeks ago.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular

by urz13 » 18 Aug 2012 19:18

HRK revieving his usual criticism despite not looking out of place

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 18 Aug 2012 19:20

LoyalRoyalFan Enjoyable, evenly matched first game back in the Prem.

Absolutely baking hot. The players looked a tad nervous for an hour or so, generally quite sloppy, but once McCleary came on that changed. He tore the Stoke defenders apart. Guthrie in the middle of the park was very impressive, that creative midfielder we have been missing for years.

Robson-Kanu looked out of his depth, but that can change.

Good result and glad the football is back! 8)

Agree with all of this. But I feel we started very well, playing the ball about nicely and edging towards their goal. Then, all of a sudden we lost our shape on that Stoke attack and although Feds could have got his body behind it, the players were caught ball watching and should have picked up Kightly? in the centre. Leigertwood ball winning superb. Coming up to HT players looked like they just wanted to get back in the dressing room.

Second half Guthrie came in to his own and was yelling for the ball no matter where he was, turning playing some good balls out to the flanks and through the centre; really looking forward to him having a run in the side. Work in progress re ALF & POG. POG should have got us an earlier penalty. We will play less physical sides than Stoke and hoping they will come good. Defence had my a*sehole twitching on a couple of occasions and we were lucky they didn't capatilise on any of the scuffed clearances. Gunter started to play better passes and positionally in the second half compared to his woeful first. McCleary changed our stance when he came on. Stoke defence couldn't handle him. Utter relief when the penalty went in.

Federici - 6 - Unlike him to make a blunder. Silly mistake to make.
Gunter - 6 - woeful first half, all round better second half
Harte - 7 - Dealt with their winger well when HRK didn't track back
Gorkss - 7 - solid as usual and eye for a pass has improved
Pearce - 7 - solid as per
McAnuff - 6 - Didn't create, looked scared to put a foot wrong
Legs - 8 - Solid and assured
Guthrie - 8 - Always wanted to make something happen. Spread the ball very well
HRK - 6 - looked average. Didn't do enough on the flank
ALF - 7 - Made some clever runs and could have had another
POG - 6 - Almost Kitson-esque. Just didn't fall for him today.

McCleary - 8 - Pacey and tricky. Great debut
Hunt - 6 - Didn't really notice him apart from penalty incident

Overall, less long ball needed for the duration.

Very happy to take a point and very much held our own.

Hot, sweaty, but finally home with a cold one.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 18 Aug 2012 19:20

urz13 HRK revieving his usual criticism despite not looking out of place

Behave!

He was utterly useless. Out on loan ASAP.

Jon_rfc

by Jon_rfc » 18 Aug 2012 19:23

Yup, some people with poor memories. Put in a decent shift. Skinned their rb a couple of times but was fouled cynically. Also put in a very decent cross for Alfie at the end of the 1st half which Alfie should have done better with. Was more quiet in the second half but it was a decent performance and in no way deserves criticism

Meoci71

by Meoci71 » 18 Aug 2012 19:23

Feds - 6 - not much to do, will definitely gain us more points this season than losing them
Gunter - 6 - Under/Over hit passes made for a poor first half, but improved as game went on, especially when McCleary came on.
Pearce - 7- Solid, dealt with crouch well, poor distribution but that's alex pearce
Gorkss- 7 - Solid.
Harte- 5 - Suffered most of the afternoon against the pace and power of walters.
Legs - 8 - MOM. Loved the challenge of getting stuck in against whelan and whitehead
Guthrie - 7 - Good Second half, great vision, should have a good season.
McAnuff - 5 - Poor Game, never involved really, one of his cold games.
HRK - 6 - Quiet game after a good start against rb wilkinson.
McCleary - 8- Changed momentum of game when he came on, dribbling and through balls excellent, and won the penalty.
ALF - 7 - Got in good positions, difficult challenge for ALF today against Shawcross and Huth, but did ok with a goal.
Pog - 6 - Quiet game.
Hunt - 6 - Worked his socks off when he came on, won more than pog in the air surprisingly.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 18 Aug 2012 19:32

:roll:

RedRum

by RedRum » 18 Aug 2012 19:36

Avon Royal

Behave!

He was utterly useless. Out on loan ASAP.

HRK is more of an impact sub. Unfortunately I feel that McCleary may be too. Both coming on to take advantage of tired legs with speed and quick feet. Hope I'm wrong about McCleary if he starts against Chelsea. Need Kebe back :(

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 18 Aug 2012 19:39

I adore Kebe but I do think his style of play will be unsuitable in a lot of Prem games this season. A lot will be very physical and Kebe just isn't a physical player - he shies away from a lot of tackles for example. I think McCleary will be the new Kebe. He'll have speed but he'll also get stuck in. Kebe is a luxury player - who, I think, we may have to forfeit more times than we like, because of the way the game is played in the Prem.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular

by urz13 » 18 Aug 2012 19:39

LoyalRoyalFan

RedRum

by RedRum » 18 Aug 2012 19:41

We'll see. The Prem also offers a lot more space in the championship. He does what he wants :D

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 18 Aug 2012 19:45

RoyalBlue In Tony Pullis we meet the PL Neil Warnock. What a cynical, time wasting, injury feigning, ref berating outfit Stoke were. They only have to master the art of deliberately setting out to injure opponents (some of the challenges were a bit heavy but not deliberately violent) to complete the full Colin portfolio.

Sadly Mr Friend seemed lived up to his name when it came to dealing with the Stoke players and for most of the game seemed happy to turn a blind eye to their antics, only to finally lose patience or realise that he had to be seen to do something in the last few minutes of the game.

Yes, Whitehead finally got the red card he had been looking for all game but should have gone some 15-20 minutes prior to that for one of the most blatent and cynical body checks you are ever likely to see on Pog as he threatened to break into the area. Since when has a challenge like that not been deemed worthy of a yellow (and therefore followed by a red if Whitehead was the offender)?

As for the penalty, when Huth finally finished ranting at the ref (again sufficiently prolonged to have warranted action) he walked straight over and deliberately barged into ALF as he waited patiently to take the penalty - once again Mr Friend and his officials opted to look the other way.

Stoke's time wasting started whilst there was still more than 30 minutes left as both their keeper and one of their outfield players was allowed to stop to have a drink prior to taking a goalkick and a throw in respectively. Even when the keeper was finally carded for timewasting, it had no effect whatsoever as he gambled on Friend not being brave enough to book him again for a repeat of the offence.

What a shame Harte couldn't do better with the freekick right at the end; a 2-1 defeat would have been just desert for Stoke's tactics.

^this.

A dire game bit Whitehead should have gone earlier and we got the point we deserved. A loss would have been a travesty, however we have to get used to a better standard of cheating in the prem.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 18 Aug 2012 19:48

http://www.thetilehurstend.com/2012/8/1 ... s-pot-shot

Match report up so thems are my thoughts really.

Would say that we're unlikely to have another match like that this season really, I thought people over-talked Stoke's reputation as a long-ball team but, uh...

It wasn't a classic game or a classic performance but I think we showed enough to give us hope. When we did play the ball on the floor we looked decent - why we were hoofing the ball forward to Hunt and Le Fondre against three centre-backs I'll never know.

Anyway, McCleary to start next game, rest I would leave the same although Alfie was possibly a little anonymous for my liking. But then he always would be when half the opposition is a foot taller than him.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 18 Aug 2012 19:48

Sky sports are showing stoke as having picked up 3 yellow cards. :shock:

234 posts