The Gr8 Keeper Deb8

1445 posts
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The Great Keeper Deb8

by floyd__streete » 29 Aug 2012 00:31

I am hardly Lev Yashin myself, but I noticed again this evening some curious technique from Federici. At 3-2 he made a fairly routine save from an angled effort, but he claimed the ball from six inches or more to the right from where his body landed. He saved the shot - and made a superb save standing up to George Boyd also at 3-2 - but it seemed an unorthodox piece of positioning; slight misjudgement and the ball trickles in the net, get your angle better and your body is right behind it.

I've always felt he has 'unorthodox' technique at times which is perhaps telling of his background, coming from nowhere, no top-level coaching (that I am aware of) in his early years. What he didn't deserve after 2 very good seasons in a row and being an integral part of a Championship-winning side last season was a large and vocal section of absolute helmets singing Alex McCarthy's name after the admittedly quite appaling piece of goalkeeping for 1-2. In fairness it was then drowned out by an even more vocal rendition of Federici's name but it was quite unecessary to be honest.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 29 Aug 2012 01:18

Ideal "made 3 great saves", captain Hollywood strikes again.

The goalkeepers job is to prevent the ball going into the net.
Our goalkeeper seems to think it is more important that it does indeed go past him and into the net.

Very harsh mate. Federici doesn't want to let goals in. He's lacking confidence and some support from the fans will help him get back to form.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 29 Aug 2012 07:42

I am all for giving McCarthy a chance as I think hes technically the better keeper out of the two but to be fair Feds deserves a chance to redeem himself. Dropping him now would blow his confidence possibly to the point of no return.
He needs to be given a few more games however it does get to a point where you have to draw a line under it and say sorry mate but you have made x amount of mistakes. I am not sure how many mistakes hes allowed I guess thats why the club employ Brian Mcdermott .

buddy1983

by buddy1983 » 29 Aug 2012 08:37

To all the fans singing for McCarthy after feds let in a goal last night, your idiots. How is that going to help anyone. What made them bigger idiots was when the rest of the crowd started singing for Feds they joined in. Confused much :roll: :roll: :roll:

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 Aug 2012 08:39

Dunno why we are feeling the pressure of loyalty; Fed's wanted out not so long ago.

You have a squad for a reason. I'm not sure why a professional player would be unable to cope with rotation and why after continuous mistakes we would not drop a player. Since when does a club pick it's team to avoid hurting someones feelings? If we had started the season with McCarthy playing like this, we'd all be begging for Feds to come back. Playing well last season doesn't earn us any points this season. Too many mistakes, time for a change.

reading_fan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by reading_fan » 29 Aug 2012 09:00

floyd__streete What he didn't deserve after 2 very good seasons in a row and being an integral part of a Championship-winning side last season was a large and vocal section of absolute helmets singing Alex McCarthy's name after the admittedly quite appaling piece of goalkeeping for 1-2. In fairness it was then drowned out by an even more vocal rendition of Federici's name but it was quite unecessary to be honest.

+1

Totally ridiculous. Was thoroughly annoyed by how quickly people have turned on him, and chanting for McCarthy mid match is utter pcuntishness. Yes, Feds made a mistake, but for God's sake, support him whilst he's on the pitch and then comment on him after the game.

He looked visibly more confident after making that save against Boyd too, and did everything faultlessly afterwards.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 29 Aug 2012 09:12

Didn't hear any Mccarthy chanting, did hear Adam Federici do do do do, but at some points I thought the vociferous chanting and clapping with every catch he made might have the opposite effect to that intended...

Although tbf he got down well to a shot in the second half.

fruits

by fruits » 29 Aug 2012 09:25

I have always said that McCarthy is the better keeper..

McCarthy had one bad game and was dropped, give Feds another game or two then the chop and bring Mc Carthy in.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Aug 2012 09:37

Extended-Phenotype Dunno why we are feeling the pressure of loyalty; Fed's wanted out not so long ago.

You have a squad for a reason. I'm not sure why a professional player would be unable to cope with rotation and why after continuous mistakes we would not drop a player. Since when does a club pick it's team to avoid hurting someones feelings? If we had started the season with McCarthy playing like this, we'd all be begging for Feds to come back. Playing well last season doesn't earn us any points this season. Too many mistakes, time for a change.

You're referring to the interview on Sky Sports where he wanted to know what the club were doing selling their best players and not reinvesting the money back into the squad he said if they were going to continue use that policy he'd like a move to further his career, yes?

"Spend some fcuking money", "Where's the fcuking money", "Madejski out". " Ladies and Gentlemen please welcome the Chairman of Reading FC, John Madejski" "Boooooooooooooo". Just four examples of Reading fans expressing the same frustrations as Federici did in that interview.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 Aug 2012 10:01

Fair point, I suppose.

I still think that players get a lot more loyalty from clubs and fans than they return "in the interest of their own careers". In the interest of Reading FC, it's debatable whether Feds is the best choice keeper at this moment in time. But because he's been a servant to us, we (perhaps rightly) want to stick by him.

I'm just not sure any player would ever offer that sort of fidelity to their club, and that includes Federici.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Aug 2012 10:19

I think he's either suffering from a lack of pre-season and so confidence/sharpness, or perhaps he's still carrying a bit of a knock.

Either way he's had a shocker so far this season and this mini-break will do him the world of good and I can't see McCarthy coming in this early in the season as McDermott will back his decision to make Federici number 1.

I do think Floyd has a point with Federici's technique though. He's always been a bit of a camera save man and his position has always meant he's had to make what might be easy saves look more difficult than they might otherwise do (incidently, McCarthy strikes me as being the exact opposite). When you play that way it makes a bit of sense that when it goes a bit wrong things are going to go bad that much more spectacularly.

And I agree with both EP about the loyalty to a player who wanted out and Ideal that makking saves is what he's supposed to do. If he'd let most of those saves become goals they'd have been errors too.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 29 Aug 2012 10:27

Stuboo Noel hunt on Twitter:

"Feds was one of the main reasons were in the Prem guys!!

If his form stays the same, Noel's lack of an apostrophe is gonna look pretty clever in 9 months time.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 29 Aug 2012 10:54

chanting for5 another keeper is daft- have to give him a chance to redeem, but if it continues there must come a point when we contemplate dropping him for his own sanity

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 29 Aug 2012 10:58

My favourite comment from twitter (regardless of whether Feds should be dropped or not) is along the lines of the following:

"Can't believe this is even a deb8. How can people have forgotten how he's played over the last 5 years!"

I haven't forgotten. 2 years he was understudy to Marcus, 1.5 years he was frustratingly inconsistent, 1.5 years he's been good. On that evidence, well it doesn't seem to settle the debate one way or the other!

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 Aug 2012 11:06

melonhead chanting for5 another keeper is daft- have to give him a chance to redeem, but if it continues there must come a point when we contemplate dropping him for his own sanity

Chelsea game was his chance to redeem. Peterborough was his chance to redeem. He's yet to go a game without making a total mess of what is asked of him.

It's getting harder to remember which goals weren't his fault, he's been that bad.

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 29 Aug 2012 11:18

Extended-Phenotype
melonhead chanting for5 another keeper is daft- have to give him a chance to redeem, but if it continues there must come a point when we contemplate dropping him for his own sanity

Chelsea game was his chance to redeem. Peterborough was his chance to redeem. He's yet to go a game without making a total mess of what is asked of him.

It's getting harder to remember which goals weren't his fault, he's been that bad.

I like him, but I have to agree. He wont get dropped yet but one more mess against Spurs and surely Brian has to grow some balls and make a change.

Thing is, Brian likes to keep the peace, and when McCarthy had a run in the side the other season, Feds threw a strop when he was fully fit but not straight back in the side. Is Brian strong enough for these type of situations/egos? I guess we'll know soon enough. It was Coppell's downfall as well.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 29 Aug 2012 11:22

not too sure what to make of this really, 1 mistake lets move on :wink: , 2 mistakes then :o , but 3 mistakes then :| .

Personally id give him 2 more games, if this carries on we cannot afford to be dropping anymore points needlessly, and its time for Taylor or McCarthy, harsh considering his superb form last season. Its a new season, clean sl8, and if he's costing us points then drop him, thats football.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 29 Aug 2012 11:36

I did notice he had his right knee bandaged up last night - is that playing on his mind when going to ground?!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 29 Aug 2012 11:43

Dare to Dr£am Thing is, Brian likes to keep the peace, and when McCarthy had a run in the side the other season, Feds threw a strop when he was fully fit but not straight back in the side. Is Brian strong enough for these type of situations/egos? I guess we'll know soon enough. It was Coppell's downfall as well.

this whole section is nonsense imo

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 29 Aug 2012 11:46

Focher not too sure what to make of this really, 1 mistake lets move on :wink: , 2 mistakes then :o , but 3 mistakes then :| .

Personally id give him 2 more games, if this carries on we cannot afford to be dropping anymore points needlessly, and its time for Taylor or McCarthy, harsh considering his superb form last season. Its a new season, clean sl8, and if he's costing us points then drop him, thats football.

I think a further 2 games is fair enough but it's a difficult call as by dropping him you would totally shoot any confidence he has left. What happens then if McCarthy has a poor start?

It's not as if he's an unknown quantity, we know he has it in him, he's just having a bad run. I can't see what gimps slagging him off hope to achieve though, if they think Federici or Brian aren't away that his performances haven't been great, they're living in dreamland. Vocally criticising him can only possibly make things worse so what on earth are these bellends thinking of?

1445 posts