The Gr8 Keeper Deb8

1445 posts
melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Great Keeper Deb8

by melonhead » 07 Sep 2012 16:44

Ideal
melonhead im just saying that saying feds looks more error prone than mcarthy at the minute, makes no sense without seeing mcarthy

But we have seen McCarthy play before, so we know he is less error prone than what Federici appears to be at the current time, so your statement is false.

made a few errors in those few games

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 07 Sep 2012 20:43

If we'd seen McCarthy play as many games as Federici, it's possible he'd make the same amount of mistakes, or even more. Because you can't be certain that McCarthy would be better, and we know how good Feds is when he's on his game, it seems sensible to give Federici more time.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 07 Sep 2012 20:58

Stuboo If we'd seen McCarthy play as many games as Federici, it's possible he'd make the same amount of mistakes, or even more. Because you can't be certain that McCarthy would be better, and we know how good Feds is when he's on his game, it seems sensible to give Federici more time.

given the same amount of games, its also possible he would make less mistakes.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 07 Sep 2012 21:27

peterroyal76
Stuboo If we'd seen McCarthy play as many games as Federici, it's possible he'd make the same amount of mistakes, or even more. Because you can't be certain that McCarthy would be better, and we know how good Feds is when he's on his game, it seems sensible to give Federici more time.

It is. I'd be very suprised if that was the case though. I was responding to people stating that McCarthy is less error prone than Federici.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Sep 2012 22:18

Stuboo
peterroyal76

It is. I'd be very suprised if that was the case though. I was responding to people stating that McCarthy is less error prone than Federici.

In his few appearances most saves he has made have looked comfortable. He has rarely made errors. By comparison, Federici frequently makes saves look hard and, over the years has made a fair few mistakes for a more experienced goalkeeper.

Is Federici better currently? Probably, but not by a great deal. He's had three of four seasons as number one and McCarthy hasn't. Sometimes you have to step back and take a short term hit for the better long term-results. And that is the argument being made with McCarthy. Give him the games and he'll quickly develop into a better keeper than Federici.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 07 Sep 2012 22:30

We'll wait and see. Maybe Federici's injury or form will give McCarthy a chance to prove himself. Maybe it won't. I'm suprised Brian isn't using the cup games as a chance to get McCarthy some games.

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 07 Sep 2012 23:15

Ideal In football manager DB terms, Feds is a goalie with a potential ability rating of circa 125-135, which means he's good enough for league one and chumpionship at a stretch.
McCarthy is would be rated -2 and receive a random rating of 150-200 when you start a savegame.

Thanks for clearing it up, clearly McCarthy is the better keeper. Dont know why we didnt think of looking to videogames before.

On FIFA 12 Federici is rated at 69 while Stuart Taylor has a rating of 72 :roll:

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 08 Sep 2012 12:10

Alexander Litvinenko
Davezk I don't understand the hype behind McCarthy.

He is a far, far better keeper so young than Feds was at the same age. he's as good a shot-stopper but his judgement and command of his box is, to me, far better. (Lest we forget, 4-5 years ago, when Federici was about the same age as McC is now, he had some calamitous games - e.g. away at WBA, home to Man Utd in the Cup, etc)

That suggests to me that if he gets the same games and experience that Feds gets (which he hasn't so far) that he can become much better than Feds.

Put another way, I don't think Federici will ever get better than he was last season. I think McCarthy has the potential to get much, much better than Federici will ever be. He's not there now, but he'll only get there if he plays and gets the chance to gain experience.

+1 with bells on .

And, as for the resident idiots banging on about Federici's loyalty, WTF about McCarthy's :|

Here is a young 'keeper who stepped into the breach when Skippy got injured, only to be dropped after doing little wrong when the chosen one had recovered and then had to watch as Fcuk Up and his defence threw away the play-off final.

Now, he's having to watch as Federici makes his one spell between the sticks appear world class in comparison.

If this continues for much longer, don't be surprised if McCarthy leaves in January for a club that is willing to give him a fair chance when those ahead of him clearly don't deserve to be.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 08 Sep 2012 17:12

20 clean sheets last season, probably the best keeper in the Championship last season - not sure why people are claiming that Federici doesn't deserve a chance.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 08 Sep 2012 17:25

Ideal In football manager DB terms, Feds is a goalie with a potential ability rating of circa 125-135, which means he's good enough for league one and chumpionship at a stretch.
McCarthy is would be rated -2 and receive a random rating of 150-200 when you start a savegame.

I'm probably missing the point here, but 125 CA is a high end Championship goalkeeper (Federici was rated with 125 CA in January, as were Hilario and Steve Harper), 135 is a lower-mid table Premiership goalkeeper (John Ruddy, Wayne Hennesey).

-2 PA is a terrible rating, I don't know off the top of my head but it is a double digit PA, probably a max. ceiling of about 50. You probably mean -9, which is something like 150-180 at start up and would be very generous. 180 CA would make him the very best goalkeepers in the world, 150 would make him a player on the level of Friedel, Howard, Given and De Gea. His current PA (140) gives him the potential to be as good as Szezceny, Al-Habsi and Vorm.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Sep 2012 18:12

Stuboo 20 clean sheets last season, probably the best keeper in the Championship last season - not sure why people are claiming that Federici doesn't deserve a chance.

:| He's had three and cocked them up this season. You're talking like he hasn't been first choice.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 08 Sep 2012 19:19

Ian Royal
Stuboo 20 clean sheets last season, probably the best keeper in the Championship last season - not sure why people are claiming that Federici doesn't deserve a chance.

:| He's had three and cocked them up this season. You're talking like he hasn't been first choice.

I was just trying to say he deserves a chance to bounce back, as he's been brilliant for us in the past and has every chance of being brilliant for us again in the future.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 08 Sep 2012 19:22

well next week he is going to get a worldwide audience to see how good he is, hoping he don`t feck it up.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 09 Sep 2012 03:43

Stuboo he's been brilliant for us in the past and has every chance of being brilliant for us again in the future.

Banks, Schmeichel, Jennings, Shilton, Clemence...........................these and a number of others were regularly brilliant. Meanwhile, on a good day, Federici is fit to wipe their backsides.

Last season he cut out most of his stupid mistakes and had easily his best campaign.......................that's all, nothing special.

Clean sheets are about an entire defence and in many games last season he had little to do.

Cypry

by Cypry » 09 Sep 2012 07:47

Woodcote Royal
Stuboo he's been brilliant for us in the past and has every chance of being brilliant for us again in the future.

Banks, Schmeichel, Jennings, Shilton, Clemence...........................these and a number of others were regularly brilliant. Meanwhile, on a good day, Federici is fit to wipe their backsides.

Last season he cut out most of his stupid mistakes and had easily his best campaign.......................that's all, nothing special.

Clean sheets are about an entire defence and in many games last season he had little to do.

Utter bollocks - he was instrumental in our run to promotion - lost count of the number of games late last season where we came away with 3 points, rather than 1 or even 0 due to some great saves from Feds - remember Brighton away?

Championship player of the month for Feb as well....

I agree he's not started well this year, and his mistake definitely did cost us against Stoke, but I find it hard to blame him for the loss to Chelsea, and he kept us in the game against Peterborough....

At the end of the day nobody is better qualified to determine who out of Feds and McCarthy is our best current option than McD and Bibbo, and if they believe it's Feds, then so be it....

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 09 Sep 2012 08:21

Ian Royal

I suggest that 4 howlers in the first 3 games is evidence enough to try someone else in the shirt.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 09 Sep 2012 09:59

Cypry
Woodcote Royal

Utter bollocks

Only someone who has no conception of what constitutes "brilliant" goalkeeping would use that word in connection with Adam Federici.

Even Marcus wasn't quite that good but he was always far better than this guy.

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 09 Sep 2012 10:19

The thing is, Woodcote, nobody can ever take anything you say seriously again after your continued lambasting of Coppell.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Sep 2012 15:07

Woodcote Royal
Cypry
Woodcote Royal

Utter bollocks

Only someone who has no conception of what constitutes "brilliant" goalkeeping would use that word in connection with Adam Federici.

Even Marcus wasn't quite that good but he was always far better than this guy.

Woodcote, there is a huge difference between a player being "brilliant for us" and being brilliant. No one has suggested he is in the same league as Schmeichel and co. You have to be the most absurd poster on the Team Board. And I include the latest incarnation of 1TeaminBerks, snowball, Ideal and myself in that.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 09 Sep 2012 15:46

Ideal That's fine Wizard, but the fact remains Federici is looking worse than a drunken pub team player with Fairy rubbed all over his gloves, if we stick with him we'll be doomed before you know it.

Steady on chap.

Woodcote, I agree with Ian, you can't compare Federici with Schmeichel and the like. They are truly awesome goalkeepers. Federici is a very good goalkeeper. We are Reading FC, we can't expect our players to be of the quality of Schmeichel et al at this moment in time.

1445 posts