Is this the highest level we will ever compete at?

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

Is this the highest level we will ever compete at?

by Royalclapper » 14 Sep 2012 17:08

Without sounding like the SKY marketing crap, imo this league is, and could well be the strongest competition we are likely to be involved with, even though I know Anton wants Europe etc.

The Pedigree:

Chelsea are the current Champs League holders.

Some significant players from the current Spain team (the best international team ever) - Silva, Torres.

3 of the 4 most expensive international midfielders ever assembled i.e. Belgium- Hazard, Dembele, Fellaini and Witsel (Zenit St Peters).

Balotelli who wiped out a top Germany side.

And you can also throw in van Persie, Tevez, Rooney etc.

This is way ahead of our previous 2 top flight seasons. Yes, there are some gash players out there, and yes, you still have the evergreen fudgers of Stoke City etc. However, short of playing the two club giants of Spain and arguably Bayern Munich, this is as good as it gets.

This season should be enjoyed by us regardless of who we should/shouldn't/could/might sign. Let's hope it's memorable for the right reasons, because it will be memorable.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Is this the highest level we will ever compete at?

by maffff » 14 Sep 2012 18:03

No. We're going to win the world cup.

harryroyal

by harryroyal » 14 Sep 2012 18:15

Posted in classified about a vintage rfc shirt. Pm if you have one to sell for a tenner.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 14 Sep 2012 18:40

maffff No. We're going to win the world cup.

And the Olympics. In Brazil.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 14 Sep 2012 19:08

Though Chelsea won the Champions League last season, we didn't do well in Europe otherwise. It was a bit chastening to see Man U and Man C--our top two--go out to good Iberian sides. And there's an argument that below the top few, our prem sides our not among the best of the rest in Europe. At the moment, a team like Atletico Madrid could probably beat any side in the prem.

I think we will compete well with most of the sides in the prem, who are much of a muchness--the likes of Stoke, West Brom, Fulham--and nothing to write home about. (Famous last words.)

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 14 Sep 2012 19:32

facaldaqui Though Chelsea won the Champions League last season, we didn't do well in Europe otherwise. It was a bit chastening to see Man U and Man C--our top two--go out to good Iberian sides. And there's an argument that below the top few, our prem sides our not among the best of the rest in Europe. At the moment, a team like Atletico Madrid could probably beat any side in the prem.

I think we will compete well with most of the sides in the prem, who are much of a muchness--the likes of Stoke, West Brom, Fulham--and nothing to write home about. (Famous last words.)

Yes, some good points there. However, Athletico could be accused of being a slightly 'one man side' if Falcao wasn't there they would be much less of a threat- I know it's a big IF given his 50m buy out clause. And Chelsea beat the dream team and then Bayern Munich in their own back yard. Man Utd are hardly going to take an exit like that lying down and are unlikely to do so this time around. Citeh are still learning the ropes in the Champs League and have got the nightmare group this time.

The reason i had this notion was a recent message from my German friend who supports Werder Bremen wishing us well while being concerned for us! Given that he is a level headed type, himself and I are of the opinion that this is the strongest league we've had in England to date.

E. Andrew

by E. Andrew » 15 Sep 2012 15:53

I have read this 8 or 9 times over the past day... at this point I can only guess that the question is three parts a) 'Is this the best English top flight there has ever been?' b) 'Is this the best English top flight there ever will be?' c) 'In the entire remainder of the club's future, will we ever compete in Europe?'

That is a lot.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 15 Sep 2012 20:18

E. Andrew I have read this 8 or 9 times over the past day... at this point I can only guess that the question is three parts a) 'Is this the best English top flight there has ever been?' b) 'Is this the best English top flight there ever will be?' c) 'In the entire remainder of the club's future, will we ever compete in Europe?'

That is a lot.

It is more of a conceptual/subjective view. If, and i hope we do stay up, it will have less value.
It is possible that a team could qualify for Europe one season and still not be in such a good standard of league as say this seasons prem league. I have the view that the status and quality of the current PL is a above previous ones.

We rarely get to see the 'magic dust' players who have the balls and quality to have done it in Tournaments as well as their domestic leagues (unless you're in the CL of course).

Our clubs could be bobbins in Europe this time - who knows?

It's not to belittle our future, just a wider view that's all.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 15 Sep 2012 23:33

I doubt we will ever win promotion in this league

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 16 Sep 2012 09:40

Big Ern I doubt we will ever win promotion in this league

I agree. Can't see us going higher tbh

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 16 Sep 2012 10:55

AbovetheI
Big Ern I doubt we will ever win promotion in this league

I agree. Can't see us going higher tbh

f**king pessimists. always with your negativity.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 16 Sep 2012 19:30

Not sure I understand the tone of the general responses, tbh. It's a fair question.

I certainly can't envisage us qualifying for Europe, never mind anything else. But then back at Elm Park I never for once thought I'd watch Reading in the Premier League. So who knows.

For now, imho, we'll need all Anton's resources just to stay up.

Davezk

by Davezk » 16 Sep 2012 19:33

Are we competing? That's the question.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 16 Sep 2012 19:59

I'm going to suprise and say No... I think the Money will be ploughed in if we stay up a couple of years and remember McD got us here with next to nothing... We are a different club now! In 3 years we may break Europe providing we don't get relegated

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1