You'll Never Walk Alone will be played before K.O today....

121 posts

Playing YNWA before kick off today is

Lamer than a 3 legged dog
42%
A fitting tribute
58%

Total votes: 142
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: You'll Never Walk Alone will be played before K.O today.

by winchester_royal » 16 Sep 2012 22:49

Green
winchester_royal If everyone took your attitude then charity would not exist.

OK I think you've gone too far there, again. Because I don't agree with you I must be someone who doesn't give to charity and doesn't respect our first world war veterans.

Pathetic? Yes I think so.

No, you seem to think that because it's not 'Reading FC's job' to pay tribute that it is somehow a meaningless gesture. :|

It is nobody's job to give to charity, but if I donate blood/money/a kidney I'd like to think it's not a wasted gesture.

Please give me one good reason why today's tribute was, to quote the EP, 'lamer than a 3-legged dog'..

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 16 Sep 2012 22:50

Nah you're alright m8, I'm done taking abuse.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 16 Sep 2012 22:51

winchester_royal Very sad indeed that 65% have responded negatively. Perhaps they would like to think how they would want their loved ones respected should such a tragedy befall them. Pathetic.

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. I think the club did itself proud today by playing that. With the truth about Hillsborough coming out this week, and it being such a momentous occassion, I think it was fitting and natural to pay our respects to the dead, with our memories about it being stirred.

I think the Liverpool fans appreciated it - It went down well with a Liverpool fan in the Hillsborough thread.

Anfield Kopite

by Anfield Kopite » 16 Sep 2012 22:53

I think your club did itself proud today too.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 16 Sep 2012 22:54

Green Nah you're alright m8, I'm done taking abuse.

Ok, see ya.

philM

by philM » 16 Sep 2012 22:56

Lots of respect for RFC on Twitter after MOTD2 showed this.

Small random selection from hundreds of messages on Twitter....

Reply Retweet Favorite
23m JW ‏@Jimmywilliams97
Respect to Reading for playing you'll never walk alone #Respect #YNWA
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite
24m Ollie Butcher ‏@OllieB94
Fair play Reading and Spurs. You'll Never Walk Alone. #JFT96
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite
25m Dazzino Mallino ‏@Dazmallon
Spurs and Reading fans sing Liverpool anthem You'll Never Walk Alone.#knowwhoyourfriendsare
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite
26m Peter McTigue ‏@mctiguep
MOTD2 wonderful applause & never walk alone so well respected by Reading & Spurs
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite
26m jordananana ‏@JordanMaloney_
Got goosebumps watching match of the day. Reading and Tottenham fans stood up clapping at you'll never walk alone, amazing
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite
26m Dele⇆Makavelli ‏@Trill_Exclusive
" you'll never walk alone " was played at the beginning of the reading vs. tottenham match . #RESPECT #RememberingThe96 #JusticeFor96
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite
26m Danny Ball ‏@Dan_B94
Nice touch by reading playing you'll never walk alone
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite
26m Christopher ‏@ChrisThirlaway
Awesome by reading to play 'you'll never walk alone' before their game #MOTD #Respect
Expand
Reply Ret

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 16 Sep 2012 22:57

Stuboo
winchester_royal Very sad indeed that 65% have responded negatively. Perhaps they would like to think how they would want their loved ones respected should such a tragedy befall them. Pathetic.

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. I think the club did itself proud today by playing that. With the truth about Hillsborough coming out this week, and it being such a momentous occassion, I think it was fitting and natural to pay our respects to the dead, with our memories about it being stirred.

I think the Liverpool fans appreciated it - It went down well with a Liverpool fan in the Hillsborough thread.

Absolutely, if it even made one person from one of the families of the 96 feel even 1% better today then it was worth it.

If not, then it was still the right thing to do.

Even if it wasn't the right thing to do then I still find it sad that some people would question a tribute to 96 people who died in tragic circumstances.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Sep 2012 23:04

Entirely appropriate to pay our respects to one of the most important events in football this country has ever seen.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 17 Sep 2012 08:00

WOW, some real negative comments on here from Reading Supporters to the the playing of “You’ll never Walk Alone, before kick off as a mark of respect for the 96 Liverpool fans who died at Hillsbourgh that I struggling to understand.

Take a trip to Anfield and view the commemorative memorial if you get chance and maybe your brains will engage with some different thoughts and feelings, after all they were football fans like us who unfortunately went to watch a game they loved and never returned.

PBR

by PBR » 17 Sep 2012 08:12

Tbf most reading fans are liverpool fans first, so not really surprised.. never seen so many glum 'reading fans' when we thrashed liverpool 3-1

RIP apes

by RIP apes » 17 Sep 2012 08:38

Alexander Litvinenko Just the fact that it's made Reading FC and its supporters an awful lots of friends and got us all masses of positive comment is enough.

Exactly. Watched the game in central Paris in a busy-ish and pretty much every person in the bar said it was a good touch.

We come out of tho sort of thing well. 'Banter' can feck right off.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 17 Sep 2012 09:10

Didn't realise this had happened tbh tbf.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 17 Sep 2012 09:44

blindedbythelights Is this the lamest, most cringe worthy gimmick Reading FC have pulled to date :?:

Your inference was that ours was the only club to do it but if you read today's papers it was done at a number of games.
Well done RFC for doing so-around me everybody joined in and even if players have a problem with shaking hands with other players at least football fans do support fans from other clubs when a tragedy is highlighted.
Fans care so much more about football and the bigger picture than players do.

larry1971

by larry1971 » 17 Sep 2012 09:54

don't think this has anything to do with a tribute but recognition that the 96 and the families of the dead are finally getting justice.

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 17 Sep 2012 10:50

From a pure PR perspective, it was a great move. Lots of good feeling towards Reading FC as a result.

However, football clubs are not brands yet and I was a bit uncomfortable with what I felt was a bit brown-nosey and completely unnecessary. It had nothing to do with our club and felt it was a move that inspired my biggest hatred, forced grief sharing. Grief is a personal thing, dealt with in personal ways and I've got no feelings either negative or positive towards Hillsborough as I don't know enough about it. Now I'm being made to feel like I "have to" care about something I don't.

The other thing that irks me in terms of it being a PR stunt is the precedent it sets. Will we now play "glory, glory Man Utd" on the anniversary of Munich '58? Will we play the Italian national anthem on the anniversary of Heysel (which was more akin to "murder" than "incompetence/tragedy" at Hillsborough), Will we all wear the white flowers of Yorkshire to commemorate those that died at Bradford's Valley Parade in 1985? No.

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 17 Sep 2012 10:52

From a pure PR perspective, it was a great move. Lots of good feeling towards Reading FC as a result.

However, football clubs are not brands yet and I was a bit uncomfortable with what I felt was a bit brown-nosey and completely unnecessary. It had nothing to do with our club and felt it was a move that inspired my biggest hatred, forced grief sharing. Grief is a personal thing, dealt with in personal ways and I've got no feelings either negative or positive towards Hillsborough as I don't know enough about it. Now I'm being made to feel like I "have to" care about something I don't.

The other thing that irks me in terms of it being a PR stunt is the precedent it sets. Will we now play "glory, glory Man Utd" on the anniversary of Munich '58? Will we play the Italian national anthem on the anniversary of Heysel (which was more akin to "murder" than "incompetence/tragedy" at Hillsborough), Will we all wear the white flowers of Yorkshire to commemorate those that died at Bradford's Valley Parade in 1985? No.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 17 Sep 2012 10:56

RIP apes
Alexander Litvinenko Just the fact that it's made Reading FC and its supporters an awful lots of friends and got us all masses of positive comment is enough.

Exactly. Watched the game in central Paris in a busy-ish and pretty much every person in the bar said it was a good touch.

We come out of tho sort of thing well.

How we you come out of this or how many friends you make should be fairly irrelevant imo. Sad to see that in 2012 paying respect to the dead is all about how many positive twitter comments you get off the back of it.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 17 Sep 2012 10:57

larry1971 don't think this has anything to do with a tribute but recognition that the 96 and the families of the dead are finally getting justice.

I understand that but i really don't see how it had anything to do with us.....there are lots of things that have happened in football that the club haven't paid recognition towards, why this just cos "the truth" was revealed!?

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 17 Sep 2012 11:03

I think its a nice touch.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 17 Sep 2012 11:09

Not a problem with this as a one-off. The truth that should give all pause for thought is that it really could have been any club's fans that day.

121 posts