How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

3209 posts
melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

by melonhead » 24 Oct 2012 21:24

TheSiege
themadstad I don't see McDermott getting sacked and even if he did I'm not sure it'd make a difference.

McDermott said he was happy with the squad and that he got everyone he wanted. Anton said around promotion we have a list [of targets] and we'll be working on that.

So did Anton not provide enough money or did McDermott make the wrong choices? Or perhaps both? What did we learn from our last time in the prem?

We aren't talking millions and millions of pounds on loads of new players but just that extra quality to add.

At the end of the Summer window, few Managers will annoy their Owners by saying that their squad is not strong enough, neither will they kill the morale of the squad by saying so! We were very strongly reported as having potential targets other than the players we did sign but, surprise, surprise, most of them would have cost us more than 2.5m up front. Our penny-pinching is catching up with us and Anton will have to lead the way, flash the cash and give BMcD the option of squad changes come January!.

surely its not a case of saying, im not paying more than 2.5 for anyone, full stop
its more a case of assessing a players worth, going for him, and when the selling club start asking money well above that your willing to pay, walking away, rather than be ripped off.
think thats fair, and a sensible way to do business

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 24 Oct 2012 22:07

[quote="TheSiege"]M If we could pay 25m for a player, who would turn into the next Messi, are you saying we should not do it? /quote]

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say: no, we should not spend £25m on a player. The lower divisions are littered with teams who thought that bigger outlay meant greater return, when actually it just meant greater risk.

The fact that you apparently can't remember a time when a club has spend extravagently, on the best prospects they could identify, and suffered badly for it, makes a bit of a mockery of your self-appointed "captain sensible" tag.

Also, player values tend to depreciate upon relegation - you should have noticed this phenomenon.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 24 Oct 2012 23:55

Who the fuck is T-T, you blithering moron?

You're going to lecture posters on their choice of avatars without even knowing what they are?

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 25 Oct 2012 10:23

RobRoyal Who the fuck is T-T, you blithering moron?

You're going to lecture posters on their choice of avatars without even knowing what they are?

Reading FC, European Aim, Talk to Me :lol:

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 25 Oct 2012 10:39

RobRoyal
TheSiege M If we could pay 25m for a player, who would turn into the next Messi, are you saying we should not do it? /quote]

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say: no, we should not spend £25m on a player. The lower divisions are littered with teams who thought that bigger outlay meant greater return, when actually it just meant greater risk.

The fact that you apparently can't remember a time when a club has spend extravagently, on the best prospects they could identify, and suffered badly for it, makes a bit of a mockery of your self-appointed "captain sensible" tag.

Also, player values tend to depreciate upon relegation - you should have noticed this phenomenon.

Wolves were piss poor last season but they've bagged a sack load of cash from Fletcher and Jarvis.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 25 Oct 2012 11:25

Royalclapper Wolves were piss poor last season but they've bagged a sack load of cash from Fletcher and Jarvis.

Yep. More than if they had finished 10th that season, you reckon, or less?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 25 Oct 2012 12:26

TheSiege
RobRoyal
TheSiege M If we could pay 25m for a player, who would turn into the next Messi, are you saying we should not do it? /quote]

You do me a disservice, Sir.
I can remember a time when idiots spent vast quantities to form a team of incompetents - Ask Mark Hughes.
I can remember when sensible owners spent vast quantities in Scotland to make RFC a Prem. club.
I can remember when RFC spent virtually nothing to stay in the Prem - they failed!
I can remember Coppell saying, I should have bought in some quality.
No doubt you would have stopped ManU buying Best, stopped Arsenal buying Wright, certainly stopped Tottenham buying Gareth Bale. Only 25m players should be bought by RFC
- and only if we can buy them for 2m.

You know football business and particularly finance in the same way as turkeys know nuclear physics - but, of course, it won't stop you from pretending to be an intelligent observer - and making a cynical comment against the decent contributors who have an opinion.

T-T was actually quite a decent man - you should not be using his picture or pretending to his ethos! You are a fraud!

I've read this 3 times now and even by your eccentric standards it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

matthewroyal

by matthewroyal » 25 Oct 2012 18:23

Hoop Blah
matthewroyal ....Having said that, Mcdermott's insistence on always playing attacking football...

Have you seen us play this season? We're not playing 'attacking football', we're just whacking it forward to play the percentaged just like we did last year.

In my book that's not attacking, it's playing into the hands of better opposition so they can have another go at scoring against us.

As for Redknapp, he's an excellent man for building fluid attacking teams and getting players to play with freedom. He's also a crook that has to spend silly amount of money to build those teams and leaves clubs in horrible financial messes.

As much as I'd love to see Reading play in a way Redknapp could possibly get us playing (not with this squad in this league though) I'd be very scared of where we'd be in 5 years time. For that I'd put myself in the No camp for that one.

I agree, but in interviews Mcdermott insists he wants to play attacking football, but in reality it's lump it up to POG and hunt and try and get the goals. I would love to have Redknapp at Reaidng, it would be sad to see Mcdermott go, but we've got to do the best for the team and keep us up :)

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 25 Oct 2012 18:45

TheSiege
RobRoyal

You do me a disservice, Sir.
I can remember a time when idiots spent vast quantities to form a team of incompetents - Ask Mark Hughes.
I can remember when sensible owners spent vast quantities in Scotland to make RFC a Prem. club.
I can remember when RFC spent virtually nothing to stay in the Prem - they failed!
I can remember Coppell saying, I should have bought in some quality.
No doubt you would have stopped ManU buying Best, stopped Arsenal buying Wright, certainly stopped Tottenham buying Gareth Bale. Only 25m players should be bought by RFC
- and only if we can buy them for 2m.

You know football business and particularly finance in the same way as turkeys know nuclear physics - but, of course, it won't stop you from pretending to be an intelligent observer - and making a cynical comment against the decent contributors who have an opinion.

T-T was actually quite a decent man - you should not be using his picture or pretending to his ethos! You are a fraud!

You do most people a disservice,

I remember twice spending next to no money and getting promoted to the Prem.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 25 Oct 2012 21:41

TheSiege there are people on this site who understand neither football nor business.

You being the most obvious one as well.

Cypry

by Cypry » 26 Oct 2012 07:08

TheSiege If you understand that buying good players for 5m, using them to avoid relegation and then selling them for 25m is good, you do'nt need to read the rest!

The problem is, this is a massive over-simplification, and makes huge assumptions.
I'm assuming you're talking about players who you've championed like Rhodes and Zaha?

Let's take Rhodes, and imagine we'd bought him for £5M over the Summer. The first assumption is that adding him to the side would have somehow guaranteed us avoiding relegation. That's simply not true. Look at ALF - he made the step up to the Championship last year, but has really struggled in the PL so far this season. I'm not even sure where Rhodes would fit ino the side? Would we drop Pog and play Rhodes on his own? My belief is that Rhodes would have represented a massive gamble with long odds that it would have paid off. Similarly with Zaha. I'm not sure how one player would solve the issues we've seen with the team so far this year, and again, there's no guarantee he could successfully make the step up to the PL either..

So if one "marquee prospect" is unlikely to guarantee staying up, what about "selling them for £25M"? What percentage of £5M players ever go on to be worth £25M? I'd expect the number is very small. You're talking about another high stake gamble with very long odds.

So if buying expensive "prospects" individually is no guarantee of success either on, or off the pitch, should we have bought several of them? Well, all you're doing there is shortening the odds that one might work, but massively increasing the stake - as a club, we've never been, and probably never will be, in the business of taking high stake gambles. We've been told ever since TSI came on the scene that this approach wouldn't change, the club have made this very clear.

Personally I don't really understand your issue with this approach, we've just gone through by far the most successful period in our clubs history while this regime has been in place, we're not yet dead certs for relegation this year, and if anyone expected us to have an easy ride of it this year, marquee signings or not, then I suggest they need to take a reality check.

If high stakes, long odds, gambles on players is what you crave, then it might be worth you considering supporting someone other than Reading for your own sanity - you could end up a very frustrated individual...

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 26 Oct 2012 11:12

TheSiege The above was a 'diatribe' against a person who understands no reality where football or business are concerned. If you understand that buying good players for 5m, using them to avoid relegation and then selling them for 25m is good, you do'nt need to read the rest!

Oh dear. I think this was the final confirmation that TheSiege is a wind-up account.

To answer that remaining 1% chance that you are genuine (and because I've never minded being WUM'ed): does spending £5m on a player guarantee avoiding relegation and £20m profit, or does it represent a risk? Have a think about Portsmouth, Bradford and Leeds.

themadstad

by themadstad » 26 Oct 2012 14:00

Portsmouth, Leeds and Bradford, particularly Portsmouth as most people seem to mention them isn't necessity going go be us if we spend a bit more money.

We could probably look at players for a few million of decent quality to add here and there. Making sure we don't exceed a certain amount in wages.

Portsmouth paid big feeds but more importantly the paid MASSIVE wages to players. Wages over £50k which is more than would be required. The wages are committed outgoings then from that is the PAYE tax liability which they didn't have enough income to service then fell in to big debts.

No good acting with a lower league mentality but same as not to go OTT. Revenues increase from next year then if you factor in increased revenue from stadium expansion and extra sponsorship, as AZ alludes to, you have more revenue to be able to pay out each month.

We can build a stable premier league team where we can have sustainable wages, the purchase is vital. Sometimes that might mean paying a few million. Not necessarily £10+ but you get my point. The spending like City or Chelsea is not required at all because that's where you get to the stage of admin as paying large fees would attract largest wages and once they exceed revenue there's a problem.

That's why I like when I hear Anton talk of increasing revenues, whether this happens remains to be seen.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 27 Oct 2012 11:28

TheSiege
RobRoyal
TheSiege The above was a 'diatribe' against a person who understands no reality where football or business are concerned. If you understand that buying good players for 5m, using them to avoid relegation and then selling them for 25m is good, you do'nt need to read the rest!

Oh dear. I think this was the final confirmation that TheSiege is a wind-up account.

To answer that remaining 1% chance that you are genuine (and because I've never minded being WUM'ed): does spending £5m on a player guarantee avoiding relegation and £20m profit, or does it represent a risk? Have a think about Portsmouth, Bradford and Leeds.

One loves the ability of some on this site to ignore reality - particularly reality outside of this site. There are 92 teams in the top leagues and most of them have scouting systems who can find brilliant players (for there level). RFC has the sort of scouting system that can tell who are going to be good players. Our problem in the past has been that often we still could'nt afford them! Now we can but, we want cheap signings who improve us. I do not disagree with any signing we made in the last window - all were good for a team in the Championship. All were good to become part of our 25-man squad, unfortunately, we also needed three other players who may have cost 15m in total (a guess) but, with our knowledge would have gone on to be sold for 45m(a guess)! How much is Michu worth?

p.s. A wind-up account would be someone with an ability to say nothing whilst abusing anyone who dares to have an idea Stand up RR - Pretend intellectual!

How about you try again with the question of mine you quoted: does spending that £15m guanantee a £45m return, or is it a risk?

Fingringhoe

by Fingringhoe » 27 Oct 2012 16:48

Time to fall on his sword methinks. The ideas have run dry.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 27 Oct 2012 16:50

Although he is a great guy, there is no sentiment in business and our business is about staying in the Prem. If things do not change by the end of December we should replace him with someone else and let them try and do something in the transfer window.

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 27 Oct 2012 16:52

I have a feeling that the ink was drying on his P45 twice this afternoon. The draw will buy him another week or two, possibly. Great bloke and good Champ manager, but at this level?

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 27 Oct 2012 17:00

Sadly I think that there will be a change sooner rather than later, we have several times now this season taken the lead and been pegged back, however much we all admire what Mcd has done for the club this is a vicious business to be in, maybe this point might have just prevented the obvious for a short while but we cant keep on like this, we have had the opportunity to collect at least 6 or 7 more points this season and have thrown them away, for the sake of our survival in this league, something has to be done, another problem we have is the constant 3 or 4 changes each week and what system we are going to play, all in all its a bit of a mess at the moment and it needs sorting, brutal but true.

bassavage

by bassavage » 27 Oct 2012 17:13

Who would you get in who would make it any better? Changing managers, backroom staff and the like really wouldn't do anyone any good. Remember Derby in 07/08?

McDermott is the right man and he WILL keep us up.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 27 Oct 2012 17:24

bassavage McDermott is the right man and he WILL keep us up.

Amen to that. I think so too. Once we start playing to feet a bit more, get that first win and get more belief into the side, I think we'll be fine.

3209 posts