Total votes: 104
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: When will we get our first win?

by RoyalBlue » 10 Nov 2012 23:15

Caskeys Lovechild
Royal Dee if we haven't won by the 11th of December Mcdermott has to go. no reason why anything will get better after the 11th since we will have played a lot of the teams around us. Fresh manager with fresh ideas can turn it around before its too late, ironically a bit like mcdermott did after Brendan :!:

Yeah - Sack Brian.... got a plan for who to bring in genius?

Harry Redknapp perhaps? Have you failed to notice the legacy that Redknapp has left every team he's ever been to? Financial ruin, allegations of tax dodging (team and personal), taking bribes?

McDermott is one of the best managers in the country. He LEARNS from his mistakes, and would UNDOUBTEDLY come back to haunt us if we let him go.

THE BLOKE GOT US INTO THE PREMIER LEAGUE, AND YOU WANT TO SACK HIM AFTER WHAT? 15 GAMES??

Get your head out of your arse, and learn a little about football....and if you don't want to do that, oxf*rd off back to Chelsea where you likely came from in the first place.

Another one who thinks that, just because people don't agree with his view of the world, they don't know anything about football.

As for McDermott learning from his mistakes, he's heading for the bottom set (learning difficulties) based on what he's shown so far this season.

And who said wait as long as 15 games? :wink:

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 10 Nov 2012 23:47

RoyalBlue
Caskeys Lovechild
Royal Dee if we haven't won by the 11th of December Mcdermott has to go. no reason why anything will get better after the 11th since we will have played a lot of the teams around us. Fresh manager with fresh ideas can turn it around before its too late, ironically a bit like mcdermott did after Brendan :!:

Harry Redknapp perhaps? Have you failed to notice the legacy that Redknapp has left every team he's ever been to? Financial ruin, allegations of tax dodging (team and personal), taking bribes?

McDermott is one of the best managers in the country. He LEARNS from his mistakes, and would UNDOUBTEDLY come back to haunt us if we let him go.

THE BLOKE GOT US INTO THE PREMIER LEAGUE, AND YOU WANT TO SACK HIM AFTER WHAT? 15 GAMES??

Get your head out of your arse, and learn a little about football....and if you don't want to do that, oxf*rd off back to Chelsea where you likely came from in the first place.

Another one who thinks that, just because people don't agree with his view of the world, they don't know anything about football.

As for McDermott learning from his mistakes, he's heading for the bottom set (learning difficulties) based on what he's shown so far this season.

And who said wait as long as 15 games? :wink:

I don't THINK that the poster doesn't know anything about football. I KNOW they don't know anything about football.

You do NOT sack a manager who has delivered Premier League football out of nothing, without a clear, and significantly BETTER plan. If you want an example as to why, I refer you to the spiralling decline of Wolves since the mid point of last season. There simply isn't a tried and tested, top Premier League manager, who would come to Reading, within our financial constraints - and that is what we would need to even begin to think about relieving McDermott of his duties. Anyone who thinks that sacking the man who got us here in the first place is the answer, is quite simply wrong.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 10 Nov 2012 23:50

We will win next week v Everton panic not

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 10 Nov 2012 23:58

bcubed We will win next week v Everton panic not

Thanks for your prophetic words bc, I feel a lot better now.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Nov 2012 00:01

Keep the McFaith

Believe

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 11 Nov 2012 00:12

sputnik
bcubed We will win next week v Everton panic not

Thanks for your prophetic words bc, I feel a lot better now.

Mind you I have just come from the calm thread I could be stoned 8)

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Nov 2012 00:15

that's the job of the taliban mannnnnnnnnnnnnn

Royal Dee

by Royal Dee » 11 Nov 2012 00:28

Caskeys Lovechild

Im keeping the faith in mcdermott and dont want him to go and I believe he will sort things out but i was giving my opinion on the question, and if we were to get a new manager (and im sure the board would have a plan unlike wolves who sacked a midtable mick mcarthy and had no plan), it would be sensible to give the new manager decemeber and jan to learn the squad and buy new players abit like we have done in the past i.e Mcdermott when he came in, but thats if we were to get a new manager and if Mcdermott were to mess up big time up till december (which i think he will not).

but i assume from your reaction that you think we should keep Mcdermot even if that means we have to accept relagation. Its your point of view and UNLIKE SOME... i accept you have an opinion and wont be rude to prove im the bigger keyboard warrior/man.

larry1971

by larry1971 » 11 Nov 2012 07:15

hard to see where that first win is coming from I'm not sure if any team has gone this far into the season in the Premiership still looking for their first win but there can't be many .

REMTARDROYAL

by REMTARDROYAL » 11 Nov 2012 08:10

Sacking McDermott would be a mistake - you'd basically be punishing him for over-performing last season.

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 11 Nov 2012 09:21

larry1971 hard to see where that first win is coming from I'm not sure if any team has gone this far into the season in the Premiership still looking for their first win but there can't be many .

QPR?

larry1971

by larry1971 » 11 Nov 2012 09:43

Irvinchangeyaname
larry1971 hard to see where that first win is coming from I'm not sure if any team has gone this far into the season in the Premiership still looking for their first win but there can't be many .

QPR?

LOL forgot about them.. :mrgreen:

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 11 Nov 2012 12:00

Royal Dee
Im keeping the faith in mcdermott and dont want him to go and I believe he will sort things out but i was giving my opinion on the question, and if we were to get a new manager (and im sure the board would have a plan unlike wolves who sacked a midtable mick mcarthy and had no plan), it would be sensible to give the new manager decemeber and jan to learn the squad and buy new players abit like we have done in the past i.e Mcdermott when he came in, but thats if we were to get a new manager and if Mcdermott were to mess up big time up till december (which i think he will not).

but i assume from your reaction that you think we should keep Mcdermot even if that means we have to accept relagation. Its your point of view and UNLIKE SOME... i accept you have an opinion and wont be rude to prove im the bigger keyboard warrior/man.

WHAT MANAGER?? Anybody who would be better is either employed already, too expensive, or wouldn't come to us. Analyse the most successful teams in history - they're the ones who have stuck with their manager through thick and thin - the ones who are habitual under achievers - have a history of sacking managers - it's not an opinion that sacking McDermott would be a bad idea - it's a fact, based on history.

What EXACTLY do you think needs sorting out? We currently sit level with our second highest finishing position in the leagues, EVER. We are ONE position, and 3 points away from our target league position, with a game in hand. If we finish 17th, this will be our second most successful season ever. If we finish BOTTOM, it will be our THIRD most successful position, EVER.

ALL of those, are reasons not to be stupid enough to sack the person who got us here.

Fortunately, the people at the top of the club, have a much better grasp on this than you - so we'll not see the end of Brian, whether we get relegated, or mount the late charge to Europe that some of our most stupidly poorly informed supporters think we should be capable of....

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 12 Nov 2012 09:11

Caskeys Lovechild WHAT MANAGER?? Anybody who would be better is either employed already, too expensive, or wouldn't come to us. Analyse the most successful teams in history - they're the ones who have stuck with their manager through thick and thin - the ones who are habitual under achievers - have a history of sacking managers - it's not an opinion that sacking McDermott would be a bad idea - it's a fact, based on history.

What EXACTLY do you think needs sorting out? We currently sit level with our second highest finishing position in the leagues, EVER. We are ONE position, and 3 points away from our target league position, with a game in hand. If we finish 17th, this will be our second most successful season ever. If we finish BOTTOM, it will be our THIRD most successful position, EVER.

ALL of those, are reasons not to be stupid enough to sack the person who got us here.

I've seen some weak arguments on here in my time, but this one tops the lot I think. Full of hyperbole.

Yes, of course there are examples of teams sticking with managers and enjoying success , such as Ferguson at United, Wenger at Arsenal – but that doesn’t mean that in their history there has never been a right time to make a change at the top, and those and other clubs have. I’m not saying it’s the case with Brian now, but don’t pretend McDermott is building some kind of dynasty here that makes him untouchable.

As for the finishing position stats – they are just utterly irrelevant. 20th would be our third best finish EVER? Well whoop-de-fcuking-doo! I saw on another thread that you think we can finish 17th without really ‘competing’ in this league. You seriously underestimate the opposition. We couldn’t break down Norwich City on Saturday – we could ‘compete’ this season and still go down, it’s a tough league.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 12 Nov 2012 15:11

Caskeys Lovechild
Royal Dee

WHAT MANAGER?? Anybody who would be better is either employed already, too expensive, or wouldn't come to us. Analyse the most successful teams in history - they're the ones who have stuck with their manager through thick and thin - the ones who are habitual under achievers - have a history of sacking managers - it's not an opinion that sacking McDermott would be a bad idea - it's a fact, based on history.

Fortunately, the people at the top of the club, have a much better grasp on this than you - so we'll not see the end of Brian, whether we get relegated, or mount the late charge to Europe that some of our most stupidly poorly informed supporters think we should be capable of....

An awful argument. Just awful.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 12 Nov 2012 15:15

cmonurz
Caskeys Lovechild WHAT MANAGER?? Anybody who would be better is either employed already, too expensive, or wouldn't come to us. Analyse the most successful teams in history - they're the ones who have stuck with their manager through thick and thin - the ones who are habitual under achievers - have a history of sacking managers - it's not an opinion that sacking McDermott would be a bad idea - it's a fact, based on history.

I've seen some weak arguments on here in my time, but this one tops the lot I think. Full of hyperbole.

Yes, of course there are examples of teams sticking with managers and enjoying success , such as Ferguson at United, Wenger at Arsenal – but that doesn’t mean that in their history there has never been a right time to make a change at the top, and those and other clubs have. I’m not saying it’s the case with Brian now, but don’t pretend McDermott is building some kind of dynasty here that makes him untouchable.

As for the finishing position stats – they are just utterly irrelevant. 20th would be our third best finish EVER? Well whoop-de-fcuking-doo! I saw on another thread that you think we can finish 17th without really ‘competing’ in this league. You seriously underestimate the opposition. We couldn’t break down Norwich City on Saturday – we could ‘compete’ this season and still go down, it’s a tough league.

Thanks for posting that means i don't have to

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Nov 2012 15:15

i just have to look at the people demanding mcdermott be sacked on threads like this, to realise im in the right on this one

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 12 Nov 2012 17:00

They are absolutely NOT irrelevant.

McDermott EARNED us a guaranteed top 3 position finish in our history, by winning the league last season - he has, as far as I am (and I hope AZ/JM are concerned) earned the right to be untouchable this season - regardless of how it ends up - anything else is purely and simply a punishment for over-acheivement last season.

The rest, is not difficult to understand.

Being COMPETITIVE in this league - means fighting to win the league/finish in the top 5 - Teams aiming for the top 10, are Premier League competitors/contenders.
Surviving in this league - Means finishing in the bottom half, outside of the bottom 3.

It makes oxf*rd all difference other than a few million quid in prize money, whether we finish 10th, or 17th. We are NOT looking to compete this season - simply survive. From where I'm sat, we're three points off target right now. Funnily enough, we have 3 points more potential than anyone around us owing to having to miss a game.

I agree that this is a tough league. In fact I'd go as far as saying this is the strongest that the Premier League has ever been - certainly it's the strongest it has been when Reading have been involved. But we are 10 games in. Granted, we'd like to be higher in the league than we are now. Yes, we'd like to see points arriving a little faster - but we've barely had a chance to get going yet - there's still 84 points to play for. If we were 10 points adrift and getting spanked every week, you might have a point - but we're not, and you don't.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 12 Nov 2012 17:02

Home v Man Utd.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 12 Nov 2012 17:32

Wigan at home February 23rd.

11 draws between now and then.