Are we just a team of hoofers?

JC
Hob Nob Regular

Are we just a team of hoofers?

by JC » 09 Oct 2012 12:52

Interesting article on Sky Sports website today.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11994/8149391

Reading Refusal to Pass

"I am trying to fit into the direct style of play the manager wants," wrote Guthrie on his Twitter feed prior to the game. "I pass too much at the moment, which is my biggest asset. I understand what the manager wants but stopping habits like going and getting the ball from the back four is difficult."

It is worth remembering this is Danny Guthrie - hardly a man previously noted for his commitment to the beautiful game. But the vision of Brian McDermott is clear and the contrast with Saturday's opponents Swansea was marked. The numbers are one thing - 600 attempted passes to 225 - but the real story lies in the percentages. Only 58 per cent of those 225 passes were completed and the Royals had just 29 per cent possession.

It is little surprise that the completion stats were so poor given the away side's direct approach. Reading's most common passing combination was Alex McCarthy finding Noel Hunt with no other pairing managing to get the ball to each other more than five times.

Of course, Swansea are not a side without flaws of their own - they conceded twice early on - but with so little of the ball it was hardly surprising that the home side found a way through in the end to earn a share of the points. And for the second Premier League game running, Guthrie was an unused substitute on the Reading bench.

Does anybody find this a concern?

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Are we just a team of hoofers?

by PistolPete » 09 Oct 2012 13:00

Yes, huge concern.

But if we try to go away from what got us promoted we will go straight back down. The Championship is the place to learn a style of play, not the premier league.

If (if) we can stay up, we will slowly try to improve our style of football I expect.

Having said that, Guthrie HAS to play. Oh, and not as a number ten, but as a deep lying playmaker like he did at Newcastle.

I tried to make this point after the Stoke game when I said we were two teams playing the same game but I was shot down...

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 09 Oct 2012 13:01

Yes - if opposition keep our wingers out of the game we're pretty much fukked.

No pattern of play and no desire to create or keep the ball in the middle of the park.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 09 Oct 2012 13:49

Exactly the same problem as last year - No Plan B when the wingers are unable to perform. Nice to see that was addressed in the summer then....

moonwalklikebas

by moonwalklikebas » 09 Oct 2012 13:57

Against lesser opposition it works. We did it very well last season. Defending deep, with little possesion and breaking with our wingers.
Its what we do!

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 09 Oct 2012 15:00

So now we have a player who wants the ball off defenders and can see a pass (Guthrie). Whoopie fukkin do. It means other players will have to provide movement and take the ball in tight situations but we don`t have them. Why does the manager not encourage this? Is the coaching staff not up to it? Brian says this division is unforgiving, well give the ball away cheaply and you don`t get it back.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Oct 2012 15:30

teams who are playing poorly, and are low on confidence, teams who are newly promoted and doubtful of their on abilities, teams who are under pressure and seeing little of the ball all tend to hoof it more

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Oct 2012 15:31

its no good guthrie trotting back to the defence to pick up the ball, it leaves a big gap in midfield, and when he tries to pass forward its more likely our players will be outnumbered and the pass wont find its intended target
its like when rooney is forced to do the same for england/man u

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 09 Oct 2012 15:59

It's quite noticeable that other teams we've played so far, with the possible exception of Stoke, do actually pass the ball to their own players with some regularity.

By contrast we appear to fire the ball in the general direction of one of our players hoping, usually beyond hope, that the intended target will be able to bring the ball under control by some unfeasible feat of contortion or deflect it from an unfasionable part of the body into an area of space where, in theory, an onrushing colleague may, or may not, appear.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 09 Oct 2012 16:07

I thought we moved the ball nicely against WBA tbh, even if we didn't create many chances. Besides, I'm more worried about how many we're conceding ATM.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 09 Oct 2012 16:16

Agreed, we're scoring goals, that's not the problem. I don't think it's the defense either, they're dealing with a lot of what is sent at them, i don't think they're getting the protection from midfield.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Oct 2012 16:22

Norfolk Royal It's quite noticeable that other teams we've played so far, with the possible exception of Stoke, do actually pass the ball to their own players with some regularity.

By contrast we appear to fire the ball in the general direction of one of our players hoping, usually beyond hope, that the intended target will be able to bring the ball under control by some unfeasible feat of contortion or deflect it from an unfasionable part of the body into an area of space where, in theory, an onrushing colleague may, or may not, appear.

the goal keeper kicking it to the touchline where an oppo player is mock challenged and heads it out has worked for us for years, and will continue to as an easy way of gaining a platform from which to play from in the oppo half.

horses for sourses, whatever it takes etc

obviously it would be nice to see more on the deck stuff- and i thought we were for the first few games
but clearly we have got the fear t the moment, so its understandable we will panic a little more oftener/quicker/easier

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 09 Oct 2012 16:25

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 09 Oct 2012 16:55

You lot should get together and request a meeting with Brian.

I doubt any of this has crossed his mind................................

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 09 Oct 2012 17:04

Gordons Cumming You lot should get together and request a meeting with Brian.

I should think it has crossed his mind. Otherwise why on earth would he have signed Guthrie in the first place?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 09 Oct 2012 17:06

Yes.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Oct 2012 17:08

JC Interesting article on Sky Sports website today.

Reading Refusal to Pass

"I am trying to fit into the direct style of play the manager wants," wrote Guthrie on his Twitter feed prior to the game. "I pass too much at the moment, which is my biggest asset. I understand what the manager wants but stopping habits like going and getting the ball from the back four is difficult."

It is worth remembering this is Danny Guthrie - hardly a man previously noted for his commitment to the beautiful game. But the vision of Brian McDermott is clear and the contrast with Saturday's opponents Swansea was marked. The numbers are one thing - 600 attempted passes to 225 - but the real story lies in the percentages. Only 58 per cent of those 225 passes were completed and the Royals had just 29 per cent possession.

It is little surprise that the completion stats were so poor given the away side's direct approach. Reading's most common passing combination was Alex McCarthy finding Noel Hunt with no other pairing managing to get the ball to each other more than five times.

Of course, Swansea are not a side without flaws of their own - they conceded twice early on - but with so little of the ball it was hardly surprising that the home side found a way through in the end to earn a share of the points. And for the second Premier League game running, Guthrie was an unused substitute on the Reading bench.

It's an article taking comments from a player and a single game out of context. It implies we're long ball hoof merchants and that isn't our style. We're direct, but that isn't the same thing. When we play badly we do resort to crappy hoofing, but it's not what we're about.

If they took the Newcastle game instead of the Swansea game, it would show a completely different reflection of us.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 09 Oct 2012 17:10, edited 2 times in total.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 09 Oct 2012 17:09

Negative_Jeff
Gordons Cumming You lot should get together and request a meeting with Brian.

I should think it has crossed his mind. Otherwise why on earth would he have signed Guthrie in the first place?

Ever heard of sarcasm..? Plays for Irony Utd. Good player.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 09 Oct 2012 17:10

Ian Royal
JC Interesting article on Sky Sports website today.

Reading Refusal to Pass

It's outrageous!!.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Oct 2012 17:13

melonhead its no good guthrie trotting back to the defence to pick up the ball, it leaves a big gap in midfield, and when he tries to pass forward its more likely our players will be outnumbered and the pass wont find its intended target
its like when rooney is forced to do the same for england/man u

Yeah, Guthrie was bought to do damage in the middle and give us creativity. He can't do that from within our half exchanging 10 yard passes with Pearce and Gorkss until one of them gets impatient and pumps it forward.

He needs to show for them around the centre circle as they come forward drawing out a midfielder, to create space for him to receive and then play a one two with someone or push it forward for a winger to run into space, pick it up and attack the opposition.