Who can cut it in the Prem?

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JS28ZoD

Who can cut it in the Prem?

by JS28ZoD » 21 Oct 2012 01:07

After 7 games, what are the fans opinions about which Reading players can cut it in the Prem? Overall I think we have ability in our squad and want them to go out and enjoy the games without the fear of making mistakes. The boys just look like they are playing in fear and don't believe in themselves. My assessment of each core player is:

Federici: I'm still confident in his ability to be a top keeper for us in the PL but at present his performances indicate otherwise. Desperately needs an injection of belief.

McCarthy: His performances speak for themselves, still a very raw GK but he will only get better.

Gunter: Same assessment as Fed in that I believe in his ability, but he has had some patchy performances, some steady and some poor, looks nervous and again desperately lacking in belief.

Cummings: has exceeded my expectations but gets caught out of position too much, is not strong enough in the air, and also isn't an attacking threat, therefore I don't think he can cut.

Mariappa: Has looked decent in the games he's played, I think he can cut it at this level.

Gorkks: I was his biggest fan last year and desperately want him to do well but he looks unsure of himself and an indecisive Gorkks is out of his depth at this level.

Pearce: Has done ok, remained strong in the air but question marks over pace and composure remain. Will continue to improve though but right now we desperately need a another CB.

Shorey: He has looked decent on his return to us and I think he has still got what it takes to compete at this level.

Harte: has been caught out positionally too many times and his set pieces haven't been up to his usual high standards. Looks like he can no longer cut it in the PL right now, but he is a decent back up.

Kebe: has looked a threat, can definitely cut it.

McAnuff: has created goals and caused the opposition problems, I think he can cut it.

McLeary: looks a real threat, can cut it.

Ledge: looks like he is playing in fear and looks slow and unfit compared to other CM's in the league. He definitely has great attributes and if he can position himself tighter to opponents I think he could be a good PL player for us. Right now it doesn't look like be can cut it though.

Jem: his energy is fantastic and is a big plus for our teams style of play. Technically needs to improve his ball retention and increasingly show for the ball but I think he can cut it.

Guthrie: looking low in confidence but certainly has bags of ability. Definitely can cut it.

Tabb: technically not great, physically not great, but good work rate. However can't cut it.

HRK: bags of ability and physically good, doesn't look a constant threat but I think he can cut it.

Alfie: looks physically weak and unable to therefore be a threat. A great finisher that has the potential to flourish. Right now I'm not sure if be can cut it. Needs to improve his hold up play and keep it simple to aid the teams ball retention.

POG: can finish and has the ability to be a threat, especially when partnered up front. Can cut it.

Noel: physically strong and tenacious, technically not great but is playing to his strengths and looking a real threat for us. Can cut it.

Roberts: physically strong, good hold up play but I'm not sure if he has the energy or pace to threaten the opposition. I'm undecided as to whether or not he can cut it.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Who can cut it in the Prem?

by Royal91 » 21 Oct 2012 01:47

Federici- Yes but not for us!

McCarthy- Absolutely and will continue to be our long term keeper. Performances like that should see him to Brazil. (Sort out the kicking though)

Taylor- Don't know haven't seen him. I'll say yes!

Cummings- Yes, has got the pace. Needs to concentrate and relax on the ball more.

Gunter- Not sold yet, but I think he can.

Pearce- Yes. Young, powerful, fantastic in the air, needs work on his positioning and will become a great asset for us.

Gorkss- NO, slow, useless, hoofs it everywhere and is our very own Mertesacker

Mariappa- Absolutely, not sure why he didn't start from the beginning. Quick, solid jump, comfortable on the ball! Give him games

Morrison- Probably not, very young still but from what I've seen hasn't got enough qualities.

Harte- NO- Won't even go there

Shorey- I would say yes, but only as back up for next year!

L,Wood- NO, can't pass, no technique, he's OK at breaking up play, but we need more than that.

Guthrie- YES Solid passer, but has nobody to link up play with. At the moment he's ineffective.

Karacan- NO, running around only gets you so far. Can't pass, no technqiue. Headless chicken comes to mind.

Tabb- NO absolutely S***

McCleary- Yes, quick and direct and has a fairly good touch. Needs to improve his crossing.

McAnuff- Yes- Good talisman, won't be good enough to start but certainly can come on and cause some damage.

Kebe- No, frigging quick, but has no end product, no technique and can't retain the ball. Also makes some stupid decisions around our own box.

HRK- Not sure. Has had limited chances but has always done well since coming on.

Roberts- NO, too old. Make him a coach!

Pog- Yes- He's slow, but has a good touch and finish. Get balls into his feet around the D where he can turn and he can be deadly.

Hunt- NO- No touch, couldn't hack it in the championship.

Le Fondre- Yes. He's showed he can link play, but more often than not he goes hiding.Needs to be supplied.

Church- NO NO NO

RedRum

by RedRum » 21 Oct 2012 02:10

What do we mean by 'cut it in the prem'? - Are we saying that should we be relegated, these players could join another team and continue to play regularly?

Because if so, none of them - bar a few such as Pog, Roberts and perhaps McCarthy, Guthrie.
None of our players have come close to showing they 'can cut it' in the Prem. They are all pretty much good championship players - at the moment. We will survive on team spirit and good managerial techniques. To be honest I'm not convinced many of them will go on to be able to 'cut it' by the end of the season.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 21 Oct 2012 02:46

Cant understand the McCleary love, woefully inconsistent, seen him put one decent cross in the box his whole career, which was Pog's goal at Stamford Bridge

Think of the first eleven McCarthy, Cummings and Mariappa are the only ones to consistently impress me at this level. McAnuff has done well enough but he's not about to win a game for us any time soon

matthewroyal

by matthewroyal » 22 Oct 2012 11:16

Federici: I just feel Fedders has lost some much needed confidence, maybe a loan spell is in order to help get the best out of him again?

McCarthy: I think Mccarthy's been fine so far, proved himself and not really made any mistakes that have cost us, quality keeper who's still learning.

Gunter: Has a reasonable chance, just needs to keep putting in the good performances and he'll be fine.

Cummings: Cummings has definitely been caught out a few too many times for my liking, would like some back up for him.

Mariappa: Looks fantastic at the back, a quality defender who really pulls the back line together.

Gorkks: Gorks looks slow and he really seems to be struggling against the better opposition, especially against Liverpool., very unsure about Gorkks.

Pearce: Think Pearce looks very good, would like to see him link up with another CB more, but as he is, and the young lad that he is, I have a lot of confidence in him.

Shorey: Shorey looks very good, quality free kick the other week, and the experience he has at this level will help, can definitely cut it.

Harte: I think Harte will be fine, looks like he's struggled a bit, but he's still a top notch defender who we can get the best out of.

Kebe: See i disagree about kebe. he's looked very lazy for me, got caught out of position at swansea, I think he can cut it, but he needs to get his game together and start running at defenders more.

McAnuff: Mcanuff's quality, looks as good as he ever did.

McLeary: Looks like our best player when he comes on, always lights up the team with some much needed pace and energy, definitely cut it.

Ledge: has a great longshot that he's proved on numerous occassions and is a strong player who can hold the ball up,b ut does look slightly out of his depth, not sure about him.

Jem: One of the shiners so far with POG and mccleary, karacan has been lightning in attack and central midfield. Links up well with the attack, a big assest to the team.

Guthrie: Too early to write Guthrie off yet, but the experience he has convinces me he can play well.

Tabb: Tabb's always had the technical abilitiy, but he's just too weak for me in midfield, he gets undone by strong attackers and stuggles to hold the ball.

HRK: Great player, he can definitely cut it.

Alfie: Alwyas a great supersub, I think it's good to have him, just to bring him on in the last 20 minutes when he injects some energy in the game with mccleary and can really threaten.

POG: An absolute powerhouse, was very impressed with him against Swansea, a consistently hard worker who will really help the team when we get into form.

Noel: Not sure about Noel he tends to become anonymous in a game, I think he can cut it, just needs to link up with POG and the midfield more. His workrate is phenomonal, and he has some pace that can beat defenders, just in the air he struggles to win the first ball.

Roberts: I don't think Roberts can cut it, he only scored 25 goals for blackburn in over a hundred games there, and his strength that shone in the championship will not go as far in the premiership.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 22 Oct 2012 11:39

Fcuk debating the whole team, I’ll just list the players I think are up to it. And I’m going to define ‘cut it’ as being good enough to keep us up.

Federici
McCarthy
Pearce
Karacan
Guthrie
Pogrebnyak

That’s it.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 22 Oct 2012 12:42

McCarthy
Guthrie
Pogrebnyak (goal record speaks for itself)
Pearce (needs the support of a pacey centre-back)
McCleary (pace and quick feet causes all sorts of problems at this level with the space players get. No-one likes these players running at them)

Possibles if they develop or find consistency:

Kebe
Karacan

The rest are Championship players.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 22 Oct 2012 13:00

matthewroyal Gunter: Has a reasonable chance, just needs to keep putting in the good performances and he'll be fine.

Cummings: Cummings has definitely been caught out a few too many times for my liking, would like some back up for him.

Kebe: See i disagree about kebe. he's looked very lazy for me, got caught out of position at swansea, I think he can cut it, but he needs to get his game together and start running at defenders more.

McLeary: Looks like our best player when he comes on, always lights up the team with some much needed pace and energy, definitely cut it.

Noel: Not sure about Noel he tends to become anonymous in a game, I think he can cut it, just needs to link up with POG and the midfield more. His workrate is phenomonal, and he has some pace that can beat defenders, just in the air he struggles to win the first ball.

:| :| :| :| :| :| :| :|

Divvy

by Divvy » 22 Oct 2012 13:53

SPARTA McCarthy
Guthrie
Pogrebnyak (goal record speaks for itself)
Pearce (needs the support of a pacey centre-back)
McCleary (pace and quick feet causes all sorts of problems at this level with the space players get. No-one likes these players running at them)

Possibles if they develop or find consistency:

Kebe
Karacan

The rest are Championship players.

Probably the best selection so far. LOL at who picked Federici :lol:

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 22 Oct 2012 14:03

Hi Divvy, how are you finding your first season supporting Reading?

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 22 Oct 2012 14:15

From what I have seen so far.

McCarthy
Pearce (needs this season under his belt)
Guthrie (maybe not with us)
Mariappa
POG (on last years performance)

Possible

Karacan (if he can manage an injury free run)

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 22 Oct 2012 15:25

Definitely: Pogrebnyak

Definitely not: Karacan

robinsfriday

by robinsfriday » 23 Oct 2012 09:38

cmonurz Fcuk debating the whole team, I’ll just list the players I think are up to it. And I’m going to define ‘cut it’ as being good enough to keep us up.

Federici
McCarthy
Pearce
Karacan
Guthrie
Pogrebnyak

That’s it.

Can pretty much agree with this but Karacan? Are you oxf*rd kidding me?

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 23 Oct 2012 09:42

Federici (But for a West Ham or a QPR).
McCarthy
Pearce (Not this year)
Cummings (Again, not this year)
Mariappa
Guthrie
Pog

And I'm going out on a limb and saying HRK & McCleary. Both certainly athletic enough* and have looked dangerous enough in small doses to show that they have the potential.

*no homo

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 24 Oct 2012 12:56

Pog looks like the only player who feels at home in the Prem.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Oct 2012 17:11

Federici - yes
McCarthy - yes
Guthrie - yes
Kebe - yes
Pog - yes
Shorey - yes, but not for long
McAnuff - just about, but not for long
Pearce - maybe
Cummings - maybe
Gunter - maybe
Gorkss - maybe
Mariappa - maybe
McCleary - maybe
ALF - maybe
Hunt - maybe
Ledge - maybe, but not for long
Roberts - maybe for a season
Harte - maybe, just about for this season, at a push
Karacan - doubtful
HRK - doubtful
Tabb - no
Church - no

The yeses and maybes, not necessarily with us.

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1