Guthrie told to stay away...

312 posts
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Guthrie told to stay away...

by paultheroyal » 28 Oct 2012 21:24

Will post link but looks like we have a bad apple and will only get worse.

Guthrie told to stay away and not to report for training!

philM

Re: Guthrie told to stay away...

by philM » 28 Oct 2012 21:25

paultheroyal Will post link but looks like we have a bad apple and will only get worse.

Here's a link

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2123078_guthrie_told_to_stay_away_from_reading_fc_training_ground

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 28 Oct 2012 21:27

Whatever the attitude issues, we really can't afford this with Karacan out. Is McD being a little proud himself when a player doesn't quite fit into his perfect "type"?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 28 Oct 2012 21:32

philM
paultheroyal Will post link but looks like we have a bad apple and will only get worse.

Here's a link

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2123078_guthrie_told_to_stay_away_from_reading_fc_training_ground

Thank you

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 28 Oct 2012 21:34

Brilliant so the only player that can pass has now had a bust up. If I were Guthrie and the manager kept putting a second rate winger in CM and taking me off I would be pissed off!

Not only that he sees Tabb lining up in front of him. McDermott has to realise this is a results business not lets play a shit player because he's a nice guy.
Last edited by Royal91 on 28 Oct 2012 21:35, edited 1 time in total.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 28 Oct 2012 21:34

After hearing McD's comments on the way back from the game yesterday can't say I'm too surprised about this.

I remember when we signed him being concerned about whether he was the right fit for us given the whole wedding thing, but after seeing him in the Palace friendly his obvious quality dispelled that concern. But sadly that seems to have been the case after all. I didn't think too much of it at the time but I remember in the Spurs game he was a bit critical of his team-mates when mistakes were being made, something which isn't noticeable from the other players, what with McD creating in his words a "no-blame" culture at the club.

Boyle the Royal

by Boyle the Royal » 28 Oct 2012 21:41

So the only source for this is Jonny Fordham? I think that speaks for itself

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 28 Oct 2012 21:44

Royal91 Brilliant so the only player that can pass has now had a bust up. If I were Guthrie and the manager kept putting a second rate winger in CM and taking me off I would be pissed off!

Not only that he sees Tabb lining up in front of him. McDermott has to realise this is a results business not lets play a shit player because he's a nice guy.

I don't know the details, but no way am I going to side with Guthrie over this. Hopefully, it's not a bust up but more a case of Guthrie having to learn the Reading way. I am sure he can be a good player for Reading with time. At the moment, Tabb is (very surprisingly) playing better than Guthrie was.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 28 Oct 2012 21:44

Boyle the Royal So the only source for this is Jonny Fordham? I think that speaks for itself

Yeah, that he has his ear to the ground and knows what's what!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Oct 2012 21:46

my thoughts too fac

But it is not the hna way and we can expect a lambasting

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 28 Oct 2012 21:46

If McDermott can't handle the ego of a player who has never proved to be trouble at other clubs then I can't see how he's going to be handle the type of players we need to bring in if we are to grow as a club.

Worrying times, and can't really blame Guthrie as he was clearly told before joining the club that he'd be first choice and has not disgraced himself whenever he has played.

Wtf happens if Tabb or Ledge gets injured now? We play Bryn? Christ.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 28 Oct 2012 21:48

Royal91 Brilliant so the only player that can pass has now had a bust up. If I were Guthrie and the manager kept putting a second rate winger in CM and taking me off I would be pissed off!

Who's that then?

CJC

by CJC » 28 Oct 2012 21:49

I suspected there may have been some sort of fall out. He's obviously pissed off not to be playing but lets face it he hasn't covered himself in glory when he has played. Very bad timing with karacans injury. At this rate Brynar could get a recall, desperate times!

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 28 Oct 2012 21:56

winchester_royal If McDermott can't handle the ego of a player who has never proved to be trouble at other clubs then I can't see how he's going to be handle the type of players we need to bring in if we are to grow as a club.

Worrying times, and can't really blame Guthrie as he was clearly told before joining the club that he'd be first choice and has not disgraced himself whenever he has played.

We play Guthrie. (Lets not get carried away.) Perhaps Brian wasn't intending to play Guthrie on Tuesday anyway. If Tabb or Ledge get injured on Tuesday, presumably Brian will put McAnuff in the middle, crisis over and panic ye not.
Last edited by facaldaqui on 28 Oct 2012 21:57, edited 1 time in total.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 28 Oct 2012 21:56

McDermott in the wrong here.

Been in the wrong for many weeks as well.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 28 Oct 2012 21:58

facaldaqui
winchester_royal If McDermott can't handle the ego of a player who has never proved to be trouble at other clubs then I can't see how he's going to be handle the type of players we need to bring in if we are to grow as a club.

We play Guthrie. (Lets not get carried away.) Perhaps Brian wasn't intending to play Guthrie on Tuesday anyway. If Tabb or Ledge get injured on Tuesday, presumably Brian will put MacAnuff in the middle, crisis over.

Playing a winger in midfield because one of our marquee summer signings has been kicked out of the squad is 'crisis over'?

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 28 Oct 2012 21:59

LoyalRoyalFan McDermott in the wrong here.

We don't know any details, so how do you know?

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 28 Oct 2012 22:01

winchester_royal
facaldaqui

We play Guthrie. (Lets not get carried away.) Perhaps Brian wasn't intending to play Guthrie on Tuesday anyway. If Tabb or Ledge get injured on Tuesday, presumably Brian will put MacAnuff in the middle, crisis over.

Playing a winger in midfield because one of our marquee summer signings has been kicked out of the squad is 'crisis over'?

McAnuff is a midfielder who very often comes centre. If Ledge or Tabb get injured on Tuesday, Brian can play Guthrie in the next match. I back Brian's management skills to solve any problem with Guthrie very quickly.
Last edited by facaldaqui on 28 Oct 2012 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 28 Oct 2012 22:02

McDermott has done so much for us in the last few years yet we've got people here siding with a player who has been here five minutes and done Jack in the process. You only have to look at what happened at Guthrie's wedding to know he's a bad egg.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 28 Oct 2012 22:03

The 'Reading way' won't matter if some of our best players like Federici and Guthrie are poorly managed (and I support Federici being dropped).

Beginning to feel this 'our way or no way' approach is proving a little damaging, especially in respect of some of our new signings like Guthrie ('too good' at football for our team) and Pogrebnyak (trying to feed off our 'direct' style when he wants it into feet).

On a thread in GF, there are pages of criticism of a certain Brendan Rodgers for trying to force a system on personnel at Liverpool that perhaps doesn't suit his squad. Far be it for me to criticise God McDermott for signing quality players and being ill-prepared to play to their strengths.
Last edited by cmonurz on 28 Oct 2012 22:08, edited 1 time in total.

312 posts