Is the team/squad spirit still as strong as last year?

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Is the team/squad spirit still as strong as last year?

by rhroyal » 30 Oct 2012 23:28

I know; another negative thread.

In answer to my original question, we bounced back late against Fulham twice, and brought ourselves back into it tonight against Arsenal in ET when all seemed lost. We only conceded the 6th by going for the winner.

Yet somehow it doesn't all seem well. Last season, it was all about the squad, beyond the 18 (16?) on match day. Players all seemed to be happier for each other and support each other; the whole stepping into Karacan's injury and seeing him after promotion showed that. So did the whole Big Bad Wolf thing.

And the signings over the summer gave me no reason to think it would change. Guthrie looking for more competitive games, Shorey known and tested, Mariappa, Gunter and McCleary looking to step up. Admittedly Pog raised a question, but he hasn't been an issue.

However the spirit is clearly not the same, and is stopping us playing our best team in my view. Something is going on with Pearce's contract; there's clearly issues with Guthrie if not a full blown bust up. Federici is not conducting himself well, and a couple of the players, noticeably Pog, look lukewarm playing for us.

It's a real shame, as I never thought this side of our squad would let us down. Thought we could be found out for quality, but I also thought we'd be able to rely upon every player in our books being available to play (aside from injuries). It already reminds me of 07/08, where friction started forming in our team which had previously got along so well.

And that is where this new found vulnerability and inability to defend leads really comes from in my view. Yes, better opposition, however the players are no longer so good at rallying together and getting the job done when they're up against it.

Or maybe this sort of stuff has always been there in both circumstances, and the cracks simply don't emerge when you're winning like we were last season and 2005-07.

TheRoyalJoe

Re: Is the team/squad spirit still as strong as last year?

by TheRoyalJoe » 30 Oct 2012 23:29

Absolutely not, no matter what McDermott comes out and says.

bassavage

by bassavage » 30 Oct 2012 23:29

How we recover from this on Sunday will answer your question.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Oct 2012 23:30

I'd guess the team spirit is in the gutter right now.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 30 Oct 2012 23:31

Delete,delete, BOOM!

UpThePrem

by UpThePrem » 30 Oct 2012 23:33

Wouldn't be surprised if we hear that Jason Roberts has said a few words he might regret. He passed us as we left the ground no more than 10 minutes after the final whistle and was not a happy bunny. Face like thunder and throwing his bag in his car before slamming the door fairly firmly shall we say. Lucky I pulled my daughter out of his way. Hopefully just frustration and no words spoken.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 30 Oct 2012 23:34

Imho, Brian is looking ill-prepared for the demands of the Premier League, and the expectations of his new recruits. Guthrie played in around half of Newcastle's league games last season - a team that qualified for Europe. So he moves to Reading, no doubt sold on a chance to play more and add a new dimension to our midfield - and within weeks is told his style doesn't fit at Reading.

Pogrebnyak has some obvious qualities, and is a Russian international striker - he wants the ball played to his feet and in a Premier League side would expect to get it. But he doesn't, it's whacked into the channels or at his head, which isn't his game at all.

And both of those players look at our squad, which is generally bereft or Premier League quality - and that squad is looking at each other and Brian and wondering where the hell this investment from TSI has gone, and wondering why we've signed two defenders and a winger from the Championship, and I think everyone is kind of thinking "fcuk, we're in a bit of bother here".

Our swagger has gone.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 30 Oct 2012 23:37

I'd guess our spirit tonight isn't quite as good as it was after winning 8 in a row last season no.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1