I give you Roger Smee. Where would we be without him :wink:

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: READING'S ULTIMATE LEGEND

by Maguire » 05 Dec 2012 08:59

Handsome Man
Maguire
handbags_harris He is that highly regarded in these parts that even those that never saw him play, myself included, revere him...

Speak for yourself. Never saw the bloke play, he sounds like an arsehole by all accounts, and we've probably had several dozen better players since.

You missed the point.

If you want to vote for the scientifically-proven most effective Reading player ever, you get opta stats out and try and do a balanced audit of strengths and weaknesses, using a spreadsheet.

If you want to choose a legend, you go for a man who shat in Mark Lawrenson's kitbag.

Depends on what you value I suppose.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 05 Dec 2012 09:05

Robin Friday by a mile. Watched for 50 years.

PS how do you get a different shade when copy and pasting another comment. Thanks

Sport Economist

by Sport Economist » 05 Dec 2012 09:14

Tricky as some players were legends but stayed too long, came back and were less good or went to other clubs and underperformed - see Kitson, Sonko, Sidwell. I only saw Friday play when I was very small so he wouldn't be my personal choice, especially as we were in the fourth tier then - but for sheer force of personality, he probably fits the bill as well as any.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 05 Dec 2012 10:11

The fact that the mythos of Robin Friday is held on to so strongly amongst a fanbase, many of which will never have seen him play (myself included) indicates to me that he is by definition Reading's only real legendary player. Part of that legend is due to his characteristic flaws. Does anyone really think any of the current era players will be remembered as strongly as him? Not a chance.

Faithful Son

by Faithful Son » 05 Dec 2012 11:01

Barney If you talking LEGEND, then there is ONLY one. That is Robin Friday.

Let me provide you with some substance. I was fortunate enough to see EVERY game that the man played at Elm Park. I was also fortunate enough to obtain a ticket to the recently held "tribute to Robin Friday evening" held at the Reading Market place building.

So ignoring all the other threads on Mr Friday, let me provide you with some facts;

1) I was among the 10,000+ crowd when we played Tranmere in 1976. I saw the goal. I remember the goal. I can remember it now, 36 years later.
2) I was lucky enough to watch Robin play in a reserve game at home to Plymouth in 1975. He scored. He dominated the game. He quadrupled the crowd that night.
3) When his name WASN'T called out over the tannoy to start the game (pre txt, sky, ceefax and all that sh!te) the crowd would grown.
4) He was fouled beyond belief, yet was as hard as nails. In todays game, which I appreciate is faster, the current players would be out for WEEKS. Robin was hard.
5) I was lucky. I saw Friday play. He was unique. He was a lunatic, but you HAD to see him. Maniac. Super strong. Long hair. An heroic figure.
6) I've been a season ticket holder at Reading FC since 1981, and have hardly missed a home game since 1974, yet Robin Friday will ALWAYS be the most legendary player I expect to ever see at Reading.

I know that younger fans will not appreciate the continual plaudits for this man, but he was, quite simply, unique.

He was a great player. Hard beyond belief. Mad, but brilliant. Incredible skill. Dozens of ultra brave goals. Shocking disciplinary record.

The ONLY player in my 40 years of watching this game that would GENUINELY ALWAYS put bums on seats.

Legend. Mr Robin Friday. I am not religious, but thank Christ I watched this man play.

Death, Blackman, Hicks - all great great players for Reading. The LEGEND - that is the one and only Mr Robin Friday. RIP the great man.

Good Quote

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 05 Dec 2012 11:13

Ian Richardson

Corky341

by Corky341 » 05 Dec 2012 11:17

Robin Friday. No contest really.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 05 Dec 2012 12:12

Think you'll find the popular vote will go to Robin Friday.

He's the pikey one that treated everything and everyone including himself like shit, had the talent of a world class player but instead wasted his career playing 4th division football. What a Leg.

My answer to the original question would be John Madejski. Without doubt, no one has had a bigger positive influence on the club in its history than him.

If it has to be a player, I would look at length of service at the club, love for the shirt and achivements at the club. In my time I would narrow that down to Trevor Senior, Martin Hicks, Michael Gilkes, Adrian Williams, Phil Parkinson and Graeme Murty. I might go for Murty for being Captain of the 106 side and reaching his testimonial year. Followed by Gilkes.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 05 Dec 2012 12:20

Maguire
handbags_harris He is that highly regarded in these parts that even those that never saw him play, myself included, revere him...

Speak for yourself. Never saw the bloke play, he sounds like an arsehole by all accounts, and we've probably had several dozen better players since.

+1

westongeezer

by westongeezer » 05 Dec 2012 12:42

Can't say Robin Friday , though he's a legend in his own right, he was not with the club long enough imo. has to be Steve D'eath realy.

Einstein agogo
Hob Nob Regular

by Einstein agogo » 05 Dec 2012 12:49

Avon Royal
DLRG12
Is this one a no-brainer with Robin Friday?

Probably,

His goal against Tranmere will live long in the memory of all the 78,000 that were crammed into Elm Park that night.

Was that the same 78,000 that were at the first Sex Pistol's GiG???

Einstein agogo
Hob Nob Regular

by Einstein agogo » 05 Dec 2012 12:54

westongeezer Can't say Robin Friday , though he's a legend in his own right, he was not with the club long enough imo. has to be Steve D'eath realy.

Of course he's the Ultimate Legend , he fits the description perfectly , with books and movies about.. the question wasn't who had the most appearances
Steve Death deserves a place right up there , but by your reckoning you'd put ryan Giggs over Eric Cantona or Scholes over Best.. :roll:

Thankgodisfriday

by Thankgodisfriday » 05 Dec 2012 13:23

As one of the 78,000 who saw him play it has to be Robin Friday.
Not really a contest,he made opposition players look stupid,great entertainer!
Could have played at any level he chose

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 05 Dec 2012 13:54

Thankgodisfriday Could have played at any level he chose

:|

royal_ross

by royal_ross » 05 Dec 2012 14:00

Let me provide you with some substance. I was fortunate enough to see EVERY game that the man played at Elm Park. I was also fortunate enough to obtain a ticket to the recently held "tribute to Robin Friday evening" held at the Reading Market place building.

So ignoring all the other threads on Mr Friday, let me provide you with some facts;

1) I was among the 10,000+ crowd when we played Tranmere in 1976. I saw the goal. I remember the goal. I can remember it now, 36 years later.
2) I was lucky enough to watch Robin play in a reserve game at home to Plymouth in 1975. He scored. He dominated the game. He quadrupled the crowd that night.
3) When his name WASN'T called out over the tannoy to start the game (pre txt, sky, ceefax and all that sh!te) the crowd would grown.
4) He was fouled beyond belief, yet was as hard as nails. In todays game, which I appreciate is faster, the current players would be out for WEEKS. Robin was hard.
5) I was lucky. I saw Friday play. He was unique. He was a lunatic, but you HAD to see him. Maniac. Super strong. Long hair. An heroic figure.
6) I've been a season ticket holder at Reading FC since 1981, and have hardly missed a home game since 1974, yet Robin Friday will ALWAYS be the most legendary player I expect to ever see at Reading.

I know that younger fans will not appreciate the continual plaudits for this man, but he was, quite simply, unique.

He was a great player. Hard beyond belief. Mad, but brilliant. Incredible skill. Dozens of ultra brave goals. Shocking disciplinary record.

The ONLY player in my 40 years of watching this game that would GENUINELY ALWAYS put bums on seats.

Legend. Mr Robin Friday. I am not religious, but thank Christ I watched this man play.

Death, Blackman, Hicks - all great great players for Reading. The LEGEND - that is the one and only Mr Robin Friday. RIP the great man.

I'm not old enough to have seen him but would of loved to see him. Heard so many things about this guy, hopefully the film will be made about him.

From my time watching Reading, I'd say Graeme Murty absolute legend. Especially the day after relegation 07/08 he went on BBC Berks obviously very upset but still took the time to answer questions and talk to the fans. Very emotional listening to him, I think a caller phoned up saying he's the best captain ever and Dellor or whoever it was said he went out of the studio cos he was crying. That for me is a guy who is Mr Reading.

Optimist

by Optimist » 05 Dec 2012 14:29

How did we get to page 5 without a mention for AARON BROWN.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 05 Dec 2012 14:37

royal_ross

I'm not old enough to have seen him but would of loved to see him. Heard so many things about this guy, hopefully the film will be made about him.

From my time watching Reading, I'd say Graeme Murty absolute legend. Especially the day after relegation 07/08 he went on BBC Berks obviously very upset but still took the time to answer questions and talk to the fans. Very emotional listening to him, I think a caller phoned up saying he's the best captain ever and Dellor or whoever it was said he went out of the studio cos he was crying. That for me is a guy who is Mr Reading.

remember that interview

another vote for murts here

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 05 Dec 2012 15:18

Friday only played for the club for a short time, in the 4th division which was sh*t, at a time when football was sh*t and by most accounts acted like a oxf*rd to just about everyone and everything around him regularly not bothering to put effort in when he didn't feel like it. Oh but I forgot he got pissed a lot, dumped in someone's bag and scored from 300 yards after juggling it down the Tilehurst Road and pulling some flowers from his backside. What a leg, lol, top bantz etc etc

Another vote for Madejski here. Someone who's efforts have literally transformed the club.

228 posts