READING'S ULTIMATE LEGEND

228 posts
ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

Re: READING'S ULTIMATE LEGEND

by ManchesterRoyals » 08 Dec 2012 13:52

jellytot Gilkes or Hicks maybe stevie richardson

I actually blubbed for 12.6 seconds when Gilkes left for wolves. Still feel betraed today!

Oh those were the days watching that lot

Oh and Gilkes was fast as FxxK

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 11 Dec 2012 09:38

Grzegorz Rasiak, the greatest man to ever wear the hoops.

reading_fan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by reading_fan » 11 Dec 2012 10:01

Para Handy
Man Friday There’s a lot of drivel being written on here (nothing new I admit) about “morality” and that we shouldn’t vote for Robin because he was not “moral” or because he played in the 1970’s when some people voted for the National Front (more vote for the BNP today than the NF in the 70s by the way).

Grow up. As if life was that simple. When I was a child I thought as a child, and when I became a man etc. I made simple distinctions as a child. I came to realise, however, that life isn’t quite as black and white as we’d like to believe. Robin Friday shits in footballers’ kit bags and goes off with other women while married. He’s immoral. Tony Blair never shat in anyone’s kit bag and has never been unfaithful to his wife. He’s moral. Ah, hang on a minute. Who lied to lead us to war because of a concern over oil prices? Must have been Robin Friday. Who gives a shit (excuse the pun) if Robin did those things anyway. On the football pitch he was a God and he had a relationship with the fans that no Reading player before or since has ever come close to.

The Reading fans who saw him play loved him. They loved him for a number of reasons but not least of which was because when he was on that pitch he gave 100% - every single match. If you didn’t love him that’s because you never saw him.

Good, presumbably slightly drunken rant. Good use of the Corinthians too. I'm in total agreement with you. I've no problem with fans that didn't see Robin play. I didn't see Duncan Edwards play, or Stanley Matthews. I sort of accept that they were good though. And... that's what pisses me off about this thread. Wankers who never saw Robin play, knew nothing about him, but offering opinions that he was a waster etc. Hmm, you've no idea have you Soggy. Twats offering opinions about his character. LOL. Robin gave everything in all the matches I saw. He was a character, a waster, a bloody fantastic footballer but essentially a much nicer bloke than some of you fecking idiots think.

Isn't the point of a legend, not necessarily that he doesn't have to be the best player (although it helps)? The whole character that goes around Friday surely adds to his legend or cult hero status, no matter how good you may think he was (or wasn't).

Like I said earlier in the thread, my "legends" include Parky and Adie W, not the greatest players the club has ever had, but to me they gain legend status due to the length of service and also some of the finer points of their all round game and my memories of them. I used to love the way Adie would pretend to go for a header and then duck out of it and let it run through to the keeper. I love Parky for a variety of reasons, but one of my favourite memories of him is late on in the 4-3 Oxford match, when he took off for a slide tackle on the halfway line in front of the East stand, and must have slid for a good 20 feet due to how wet it was, but in so doing made an inch perfect tackle, taking everything - the ball, the man, and putting the ball out for a throw in. Similarly I used to love Steve Brown for his "human spear" diving headers he used to do a lot, he was another of my favourite players.

DLRG12

by DLRG12 » 18 Dec 2012 12:50

Hi Lads,

I can tell you that Robin Friday is currently leading this poll both on-line and in the face-to-face polls in Reading.

he has received 28% of the vote which means over one in four Royals' fans feel he is the club's ultimate legend.

There is still time to vote. Legends of all 92 English clubs will be revealed in the New Year.

Many thanks to those who have submitted a vote so far.

Thanks,

David
www.NononsenseFootball.com

runrunrunrungilksey

by runrunrunrungilksey » 18 Dec 2012 20:39

I would have to go with Ray Ranson because of this song,

Ray Ray
Ra Ra Ray Ray
Ra Ra Ray Ray
Ra Ra Ray Ray Ranson

*stops nodding head*

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 18 Dec 2012 20:42

Sammy Igoe - the player with the best name ever and his own memorable chant, oh, sammy igoe, oh sammy igoe. Legend.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Dec 2012 23:10

Robin Friday

Or

Paul holsgrove.

50:50 if you ask me.

Biscuit_Boy

by Biscuit_Boy » 18 Dec 2012 23:45

Royalwaster Sammy Igoe - the player with the best name ever and his own memorable chant, oh, sammy igoe, oh sammy igoe. Legend.

Not the best name ever. That would be Wayne W*nklyn

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 18 Dec 2012 23:52

Royalwaster Sammy Igoe - the player with the best name ever and his own memorable chant, oh, sammy igoe, oh sammy igoe. Legend.

Loved Igoe, loved his chant

Royalz96

by Royalz96 » 18 Dec 2012 23:58

Robin Friday is a good one, but never seen him play so would defo go Murty!

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 20 Dec 2012 21:09

I never saw Robin Friday play but I am sure if I had, and had been alive when he was playing then I think he would be my all time favourite. Someone who is blessed with natural talent and skill, someone who can score goals who has an interesting and/or unusual character is what I like most in a player. From what ive heard and read, Friday was on a different level both on and off the pitch. True genius is both unique and unpredictable.

My Dad told me he met Friday in a pub getting hammered the night before a match :lol:. Crazy stuff, what a legend, I can only imagine what it was like back then. He gets my vote, no doubt.

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 20 Dec 2012 21:17

RoyallyFcuked I never saw Robin Friday play but I am sure if I had, and had been alive when he was playing then I think he would be my all time favourite. Someone who is blessed with natural talent and skill, someone who can score goals who has an interesting and/or unusual character is what I like most in a player. From what ive heard and read, Friday was on a different level both on and off the pitch. True genius is both unique and unpredictable.

My Dad told me he met Friday in a pub getting hammered the night before a match :lol:. Crazy stuff, what a legend, I can only imagine what it was like back then. He gets my vote, no doubt.

I saw him play many times (yes I WAS behind the goal v Tranmere) and even got his autograph after a home game v Barnsley in goodness know what year (somone help me?). But you simply cannot compare him to the players today. I wear the number 9 shirt every game I go to and think he is truely a legend but so difficult to compare.

Anyway, suffice to say very proud to have seen him play.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 20 Dec 2012 21:37

This memory of Friday has stuck in my mind:

Rode my trusty Honda CB125 to Northampton early in the 76/77 season. Got there ridiculously early, but saw all of the players in their de rigeur suits and ties doing the customary pitch inspection of the strange three-sided County Ground. Robin appeared wearing a brown leather bomber jacket, flared jeans, bright red boots and was smoking a fag. Reading won 2-1 and he was untouchable. A Northampton fan on the Kop told me that he had seen the team rise from the Fourth to the First and back again and that Friday was the greatest player he had ever seen.

Total. Legend.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 23 Feb 2013 11:26

Robin Friday - "I hate all opponents. I don't give a damn about anyone. People think I'm mad, a lunatic. I'm a winner!"

That should be on the wall in the dressing room with the other inspirational quotes.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Feb 2013 11:36

Gunny Fishcake Robin Friday ,that goal v Tranmere , I was there

Keith Scott, that goal v Bradford, I was there

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 23 Feb 2013 12:48

melonhead
royal_ross
Barney If you talking LEGEND, then there is ONLY one. That is Robin Friday.

Let me provide you with some substance. I was fortunate enough to see EVERY game that the man played at Elm Park. I was also fortunate enough to obtain a ticket to the recently held "tribute to Robin Friday evening" held at the Reading Market place building.

So ignoring all the other threads on Mr Friday, let me provide you with some facts;

1) I was among the 10,000+ crowd when we played Tranmere in 1976. I saw the goal. I remember the goal. I can remember it now, 36 years later.
2) I was lucky enough to watch Robin play in a reserve game at home to Plymouth in 1975. He scored. He dominated the game. He quadrupled the crowd that night.
3) When his name WASN'T called out over the tannoy to start the game (pre txt, sky, ceefax and all that sh!te) the crowd would grown.
4) He was fouled beyond belief, yet was as hard as nails. In todays game, which I appreciate is faster, the current players would be out for WEEKS. Robin was hard.
5) I was lucky. I saw Friday play. He was unique. He was a lunatic, but you HAD to see him. Maniac. Super strong. Long hair. An heroic figure.
6) I've been a season ticket holder at Reading FC since 1981, and have hardly missed a home game since 1974, yet Robin Friday will ALWAYS be the most legendary player I expect to ever see at Reading.

I know that younger fans will not appreciate the continual plaudits for this man, but he was, quite simply, unique.

He was a great player. Hard beyond belief. Mad, but brilliant. Incredible skill. Dozens of ultra brave goals. Shocking disciplinary record.

The ONLY player in my 40 years of watching this game that would GENUINELY ALWAYS put bums on seats.

Legend. Mr Robin Friday. I am not religious, but thank Christ I watched this man play.

Death, Blackman, Hicks - all great great players for Reading. The LEGEND - that is the one and only Mr Robin Friday. RIP the great man.

I'm not old enough to have seen him but would of loved to see him. Heard so many things about this guy, hopefully the film will be made about him.

From my time watching Reading, I'd say Graeme Murty absolute legend. Especially the day after relegation 07/08 he went on BBC Berks obviously very upset but still took the time to answer questions and talk to the fans. Very emotional listening to him, I think a caller phoned up saying he's the best captain ever and Dellor or whoever it was said he went out of the studio cos he was crying. That for me is a guy who is Mr Reading.

remember that interview

another vote for murts here

+1 He's M.U.R.T.Y.!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 23 Feb 2013 15:16

I'd be interested in knowing people's reasons for choosing Steve Death tbh. He was a good keeper, but was he better than Shaka or, dare I say it, Feds on his day?

It's a tough one to call - and depends how you define "legend" - if it's someone who was a "personality" and a bit of a lad, but also good on the ball - then it would have to be Friday.

If it is a consummate professional who gave his all for the club and really loved the club - you're looking at a fair few players, including Murty and Senior for me.

Tough call.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Feb 2013 16:47

A club legend doesn't have to be the best player to play for the club.

A legend is surely someone who, for whatever reason, makes a connection to the fans or club. So yes, you can debate whether Robin Friday is the greatest Reading player ever or Steve Death the greatest keeper but they are unquestionably legends. I would never argue that Friday was the greatest ever Reading player, there's too many imponderables, the level he played at, the improvements in fitness in the modern game etc.

However, I never saw him play but the fact is that nigh on 40 years after he left the club and over 20 years after he died, people are STILL talking about Robin Friday. He has achieved almost mythic status, the raging hedonist transformed into the most outrageously gifted player the moment he crossed the line. That is stuff of legend in the truest sense.

dizzynewheights
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Waitin at a red light, Kentucky Fried Chicken in, Low End Theory tape in, bass crazy kicking in

by dizzynewheights » 23 Feb 2013 21:26

Not read the thread but the answer is obviously Parkinson, maybe Hislop. Anyone saying Friday is either lying about having seen him or lying to themselves that he wasn't toilet 90% of the time

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 23 Feb 2013 21:30

dizzynewheights Not read the thread but the answer is obviously Parkinson, maybe Hislop. Anyone saying Friday is either lying about having seen him or lying to themselves that he wasn't toilet 90% of the time

Twat. You obviously never saw him. Go and shag your own arse.

228 posts