What could we do to survive now???

156 posts
Jay o/

Re: What could we do to survive now???

by Jay o/ » 15 Dec 2012 18:07

What can we do to survive now? We need 19 volunteers to attend each training ground and shoot the first teams.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Dec 2012 18:13

Snowball The reason I think QPR will not only survive but will be mid-table is

THEY HAVE VERY GOOD PLAYERS

I said a while back that they would finish way above us

Seems obvious but its so true (and no stats involved!)

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 15 Dec 2012 22:00

Weve already missed that boat big time. Cant believe the ineptness of the whole thing. Making the mistakes last time can perhaps be forgiven. To do the same thing again is unforgivable. How poor is the management under the control and now the direction of JM. I really dont think he likes football, footballers or the game as a whole. If Anton has listened to him and the likes of Hammond etc he just very naive. Oh so dissapointed after 50 years of watching.

jellytot

by jellytot » 15 Dec 2012 22:12

larry1971
RFCUK The thought in my head keeping me going is that we have to play the following teams at the Madejski, and hopefully a home advantage could edge the result our way.

Sunderland
Wigan
Villa
Southampton
QPR

Win those five and that's 15 points, winnable away games in my view are:

Newcastle
Stoke
Norwich
Fulham
West Ham

Plus I'm sure we'll sneak a win against one of the other listed games..

There is hope if we can survive December and play the Jan transfer window well.. Albeit slim.

don't know if you've looked at the table today Norwich, are up to 7th and playing some nice football on current form we won;t get much from them,

Don't be silly.If we get to 20 points total I will be surprised. We are like the last Watford team in the PL.

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 15 Dec 2012 22:33

paddy20 Weve already missed that boat big time. Cant believe the ineptness of the whole thing. Making the mistakes last time can perhaps be forgiven. To do the same thing again is unforgivable. How poor is the management under the control and now the direction of JM. I really dont think he likes football, footballers or the game as a whole. If Anton has listened to him and the likes of Hammond etc he just very naive. Oh so dissapointed after 50 years of watching.

This is the best, and toughest league, in the world.
It is also considerably different to the last time we were here.

Anton Zingarevich. Russian. No experience of football at all, let alone experience of the biggest, best, toughest league in the world. Versus Nicky Hammond - Former professional footballer, long term DOF at Reading FC, Architect of the most successful period in the history of one of the oldest football clubs in England. Yes I can see it's very naive for him to listen to him. He seems like the kind of person I would disregard immediately if I was in Zingarevich's position..... :roll:

You'd think in 50 years, you'd have realised that this is the greatest football club to support, in the world, and maybe stepped up your status from "watching", to SUPPORTING. Try it - you might like it.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 15 Dec 2012 22:37

Caskeys Lovechild
paddy20 Weve already missed that boat big time. Cant believe the ineptness of the whole thing. Making the mistakes last time can perhaps be forgiven. To do the same thing again is unforgivable. How poor is the management under the control and now the direction of JM. I really dont think he likes football, footballers or the game as a whole. If Anton has listened to him and the likes of Hammond etc he just very naive. Oh so dissapointed after 50 years of watching.

This is the best, and toughest league, in the world.
It is also considerably different to the last time we were here.

Yes. It's not as good.

That, in many ways, is the most disappointing thing.

By the way, in what way is this the best league in the world?

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 15 Dec 2012 22:49

I've only attended one game this season, which we won. It's a fairly obvious conclusion how we can survive

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 16 Dec 2012 09:48

Hi Caskeys Child. You are right its a much stronger league than last time. However all the more reason to treat this promotion differently. By the way 50 years of watching means 50 years of watching every home game bar about 2 and loads of away games. Lots of time to feel frustrated after being so long in the wilderness. You may feel as frustrated by then. However still wouldnt miss a game for the world!

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Dec 2012 09:51

We just need to get a little crazy, imo.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Dec 2012 09:56

creative_username_1 I've only attended one game this season, which we won. It's a fairly obvious conclusion how we can survive

Meaning get played off the park for 45 minutes, be worth being 4-0 behind
but hope the other side fail to score or just get the one.

Then second half, actually play and nick it.

I'll go for that, even if it doesn't sound like a strategy,
more like all the team playing with their fingers crossed.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 16 Dec 2012 09:59

Pepe the Horseman We just need to get a little crazy, imo.

Great song.

Biscuit_Boy

by Biscuit_Boy » 16 Dec 2012 15:26

It would take a miracle to survive now. Brian deserves time but he has to at least try and adapt our tactics.
As for the premier league being the best in the world, does that figure in the fact that our current champions put in the worst champions league performance by an English team in history? And Manure would not get in the top four in Spain.

Readingfc0009

Worth a gamble

by Readingfc0009 » 16 Dec 2012 18:05

So if survival in the premiership is worth £40 million surely its worth a gamble to invest £20 million in jan and try and stay up?

Albert Spangler
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Worth a gamble

by Albert Spangler » 16 Dec 2012 18:06

In before the delete.

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 16 Dec 2012 18:09

Readingfc0009 So if survival in the premiership is worth £40 million surely its worth a gamble to invest £20 million in jan and try and stay up?

Two questions :
1) What odds are you looking at ?
2) Can you afford to lose £20m ?

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 16 Dec 2012 18:11

You have a years wages saved would you gamble 1/2 of them for a 50/50 chance to save your job

(choose heads or tails - random.org)

Readingfc0009

by Readingfc0009 » 16 Dec 2012 18:17

Why get to the prem if your not willing to gamble to stay there tho?

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 16 Dec 2012 18:20

Readingfc0009 Why get to the prem if your not willing to gamble to stay there tho?

One reason would be because you can't afford the stakes - there are probably other reasones too.

Readingfc0009

by Readingfc0009 » 16 Dec 2012 18:22

Horsham Royal
Readingfc0009 Why get to the prem if your not willing to gamble to stay there tho?

One reason would be because you can't afford the stakes - there are probably other reasones too.

This should be far from true.. New investment and a promotion worth £90 million yet to invest anything. Our club is a lot richer than they let on.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Dec 2012 18:28

Readingfc0009 So if survival in the premiership is worth £40 million surely its worth a gamble to invest £20 million in jan and try and stay up?

Not if you've already spent £30m.

Our wage budget last time we were in the Premier League was ~ £33m. The £90m wittered on about as being the prize of winning the play offs includes 4 years worth of parachute payments.

We can safely assume that our wage bill will be at least £30m this season especially with Guthrie, Pogrebnyak, Shorey and Roberts all being essentially Premier League experienced players. Our transfer fees totalled about £5m. So even pretending that we didn't give the likes of McCleary, Guthrie or Pogrebnyak a signing on fee, that leaves £5m left with which to gamble before we're just getting into debt regardless of the outcome.

156 posts