Reading v WBA - Match thread sponsored by "Sean" Long

656 posts
VictorDMor

Re: Reading v WBA - Match thread sponsored by "Sean" Long

by VictorDMor » 14 Jan 2013 02:53

Thanks for the reception fellas, I'm pleased that I can discuss and argue about the team nowadays, several Reading matches are broadcasted via ESPN Brasil, and when isn't, I try to get a good stream in the webs.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 14 Jan 2013 09:16

Nice one Victor, you’re more eloquent than 95% of the people here.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 14 Jan 2013 09:30

Well, this is unusually populous for us. And blue.

The difference between the our box and centre circle is particularly noticeable. Seems the defenders and deeper lying midfielders upped their game there.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 14 Jan 2013 09:33

I actually think that was Carrico for us in the first half, after they scored we spent ten minutes doing a swansea which he orchestrated.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 14 Jan 2013 09:34

And lol @ the player who passed the ball to Lukaku getting an assist for the second goal. The only assist he got for that was our defense being too scared to close him down.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 14 Jan 2013 09:36

ZacNaloen I actually think that was Carrico for us in the first half, after they scored we spent ten minutes doing a swansea which he orchestrated.

I'm excited to see him play once he's properly match fit and sharp. He looked off the pace but had a touch of class about him.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 14 Jan 2013 19:09

I love the MOTD commentators reaction to our winner

"I don't believe it - i do not believe it"

8)

stickywhisky

by stickywhisky » 14 Jan 2013 19:57

:oops:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Jan 2013 20:40

maffff Well, this is unusually populous for us. And blue.

The difference between the our box and centre circle is particularly noticeable. Seems the defenders and deeper lying midfielders upped their game there.

Seem to be some missing assists there.... cross for Kebe's. Cross for Lukaku's first...

But that is massively improved passing.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 15 Jan 2013 00:05

Ian Royal

Seem to be some missing assists there.... cross for Kebe's. Cross for Lukaku's first...

It's passes - doesn't include crosses as you can see by the lack of vertical lines into the box.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 15 Jan 2013 00:48

Ian Royal

Guthrie plays in his deeper lying role for the first time this season and suddenly our short game gets better. What a bloody shock that is!

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 15 Jan 2013 01:04

Royal91
Ian Royal

Guthrie plays in his deeper lying role for the first time this season and suddenly our short game gets better. What a bloody shock that is!

^this. its what he was brought in to do and this is the first time has actually been able to do it. mcdermott tried to change his style and it failed.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 Jan 2013 07:50

ZacNaloen And lol @ the player who passed the ball to Lukaku getting an assist for the second goal. The only assist he got for that was our defense being too scared to close him down.

Is that despite the fact that Morrisson picked up the ball just outside his own box and ran with it to the half-way line before feeding Lukaku ?
That wasn't assisting ?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 15 Jan 2013 07:51

No, lukaku still had it all to do

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 15 Jan 2013 09:24

Still an assist :-/

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 15 Jan 2013 12:26

Hmmm. Always thought that if the scorer had to dribble or beat opposition players there was no assist.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 15 Jan 2013 12:33

Nope. All Lukaku did was jink inside and hit it, there's no reason why the guy who passed him the ball shouldn't get an assist.

Not that this issue is close to my heart, "assists" only really matter in Fantasy Football or US Sports.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 15 Jan 2013 12:41

I'm sure that the Pro-zone analysts that are employed by Premier League clubs have subtler measures, like "chance created" or somesuch, but the idea that statistical analysis is just for American sports is a bit backward, Mags.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 15 Jan 2013 12:45

:!:
RobRoyal I'm sure that the Pro-zone analysts that are employed by Premier League clubs have subtler measures, like "chance created" or somesuch, but the idea that statistical analysis is just for American sports is a bit backward, Mags.

But such a generic and unscientific term as "assists" isn't something that will figure in Pro-Zone. They'll narrow it down in more specific terms, like crosses leading to goal, crosses not leading to goal, etc, etc .....

They'll also not care so much about the end result - because a superb cross that a striker heads wide is of more interest to them as analysts than a rubbish cross that the striker works miracles with to create a goal.

The problem is the term itself, which is so wishy-washy it means different things to different people.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 15 Jan 2013 12:59

RobRoyal I'm sure that the Pro-zone analysts that are employed by Premier League clubs have subtler measures, like "chance created" or somesuch, but the idea that statistical analysis is just for American sports is a bit backward, Mags.

That's not what I said Robert. I said "assists" are for Fantasy Football or US sports fans - you admit yourself that proper analysis has rather subtler measures than a few bumtards on the interpipe arguing about whether a pass is an assist or not.

656 posts