Team for Wigan

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

Team for Wigan

by RoyallyFcuked » 20 Feb 2013 18:30

So, overall I'm glad to say the team is looking much better than it was 2 or 3 months ago, and some of the belief has been installed back into the players. But this is simply a massive 6 pointer and vital to both ours and Wigan's seasons, and to be fair they need a result perhaps even more than we do, as defeat for them would mean a bit of a gap opening up from them and safety.

After a decent performance at United on Monday I am hoping that we start 4-4-2 and I think that we will. I havent really seen that many positives when we play 4-5-1 tbh, we still concede goals because we invite teams onto to us so much. What's the point of starting like that and hoping that a switch to 4-4-2 towards the end will save us from defeat.

The defence looks far more assured now and can still be just as solid playing 4-4-2, I think this is partly because players like Pearce, Mariappa and Morrison have stepped up, but mostly because we no longer have the likes of Gorkss and Gunter in the side. Kelly has been a good addition as well. The midfield is also looking much better defensively, and although we still a bit of creativity, flair and a real cutting edge, its improving going forward as well. Akpan looks a great buy and has given us some of those things we lack. I think will win this game and it will be another step towards survival. If, I mean, when we do survive some players should be told thanks but no thanks if we serious about becoming a Premier League side for years to come.

But anyway, the team I'm hoping for is,

----------Federici------------

Kelly---Pearce---Mariappa---Harte

Kebe--Akpan---Karacan---McAnuff

-----Le Fondre----Pogrebnyak-----

Though I wouldnt be suprised to see Morrison start ahead of Pearce as he had a good game on Monday, and also Brian will probably favour Ledge over Jem.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

Re: Team for Wigan

by SPARTA » 20 Feb 2013 18:35

I would prefer 4-4-2 but we wont see that again this season (from the start).

----------------------------------- FEDERICI -----------------------------------

KELLY -------------- MARIAPPA ----------- PEARCE ---------------- HARTE
-------------------------------- LEIGERTWOOD -------------------------------
KEBE ----------------- KARACAN ---------- AKPAN --------------- McANUFF

-------------------------------- POGREBNYAK ---------------------------------

Jay o/

by Jay o/ » 20 Feb 2013 18:36

Same as ^

Divvy

by Divvy » 20 Feb 2013 18:40

SPARTA I would prefer 4-4-2 but we wont see that again this season (from the start).

----------------------------------- FEDERICI -----------------------------------

Yep, that's the team unless Kebe isn't fit, then McCleary in.

RFCSPACE

by RFCSPACE » 20 Feb 2013 19:08

SPARTA I would prefer 4-4-2 but we wont see that again this season (from the start).

Can't argue with that. Guthrie's time has come and gone I feel - just doesn't seem to offer much defensively or going forward.

EDIT: Although don't get me wrong when we need to keep the ball and hold onto something, he is the man for the job.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 20 Feb 2013 19:13

I'd have Guthrie in for Karacan to be fair. I really don't see what he brings to the table at this level.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 20 Feb 2013 19:39

-------------------------------- KARACAN -------------------------------
KEBE ----------------- GUTHRIE ---------- AKPAN --------------- McANUFF

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 Feb 2013 19:43

:|

Leigertwood's just finding some form and you want to drop him?

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 20 Feb 2013 20:14

Not been Ledge's greatest fan this season, but taking him off on Monday night changed the game, so I would keep him in.

also, neither Jem nor Guthrie have have shown anything recently.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 20 Feb 2013 20:47

Fed
Kelly-Pearce-Mariappa-Harte
Kebe-Leigertwood-Akpan-McCleary
McAnuff
Pogrebnyak

OR

Guthrie instead of McCleary with Jobi bumped back to the wing.

OR

Karacan instead of Akpan. Don't think it makes much difference, neither is clealry better than the other.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 20 Feb 2013 20:49

Pretty much nailed on for this, Jem in the midfield for the scrap over Guthrie (wouldn't have minded seeing Tabb on the team sheet). Jem off Alfie on 70th minute, not a minute earlier though, need to keep our powder dry.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Feb 2013 22:12

Most of the side picks itself. Only real choices are do you play McAnuff in the hole with McCleary / HRK wide left, or do you play Guthrie / Karacan in a less adventurous three man central midfield.

My preference would be Guthrie in the three man to try and pad midfield and use the ball better, because that's where Wigan will be strongest.

royalsroyalsroyals92

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 20 Feb 2013 22:20

Guthrie over Jem anyday - Jem's full of energy and running - great for the championship but I think he's been awful this year

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 20 Feb 2013 22:24

Royal Ginger

Pretty much nailed on for this, Jem in the midfield for the scrap over Guthrie (wouldn't have minded seeing Tabb on the team sheet). Jem off Alfie on 70th minute, not a minute earlier though, need to keep our powder dry.

-That would be my team as well assuming Kebe.
-But I would swap Karacan for Guthrie so he can link up with Akpan.
-Keep Jobi on the left

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 20 Feb 2013 22:38

royalsroyalsroyals92 Guthrie over Jem anyday - Jem's full of energy and running - great for the championship but I think he's been awful this year

If we're looking to play good passing football down the middle then i'd agree, but I'm not sure that's the right move for Wigan. Jem's a scrapper, and i have more confidence in him off the ball then in Guthrie. We'll win or lose this game on the wing, and need our better defensive players in the middle.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 20 Feb 2013 23:08

I forgot about Guthrie lol, dont think he will start anyway as he hasnt been playing well. Can't believe we will play a largely ineffective 4-5-1 against a Wigan side who are not only below us, but also will almost certainly not be playing such a defensive formation.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 20 Feb 2013 23:12

We win games starting 4-5-1, and not 4-4-2. In my book that makes 4-5-1 effective.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 21 Feb 2013 07:55

I'm a bit surprised by some of the thoughts about Guthrie on here. Personally I think he potentially has a huge role to play in whether or not we stay up. He is able to hold on to the ball (something we are not very good at) and he can actually pass. I know he plays deep but with Kebe and McAnuff on the wings I really think we need Guthrie's ability to get the ball to them when they are actually in a position to receive it rather than play it aimlessly and hopefully up to them or in the general direction of Pog which, when we play at our worst, is what we do.

joeroyal

by joeroyal » 21 Feb 2013 08:44

RoyallyFcuked So, overall I'm glad to say the team is looking much better than it was 2 or 3 months ago, and some of the belief has been installed back into the players. But this is simply a massive 6 pointer and vital to both ours and Wigan's seasons, and to be fair they need a result perhaps even more than we do, as defeat for them would mean a bit of a gap opening up from them and safety.

After a decent performance at United on Monday I am hoping that we start 4-4-2 and I think that we will. I havent really seen that many positives when we play 4-5-1 tbh, we still concede goals because we invite teams onto to us so much. What's the point of starting like that and hoping that a switch to 4-4-2 towards the end will save us from defeat.

The defence looks far more assured now and can still be just as solid playing 4-4-2, I think this is partly because players like Pearce, Mariappa and Morrison have stepped up, but mostly because we no longer have the likes of Gorkss and Gunter in the side. Kelly has been a good addition as well. The midfield is also looking much better defensively, and although we still a bit of creativity, flair and a real cutting edge, its improving going forward as well. Akpan looks a great buy and has given us some of those things we lack. I think will win this game and it will be another step towards survival. If, I mean, when we do survive some players should be told thanks but no thanks if we serious about becoming a Premier League side for years to come.

But anyway, the team I'm hoping for is,

----------Federici------------

Kelly---Pearce---Mariappa---Harte

Kebe--Akpan---Karacan---McAnuff

-----Le Fondre----Pogrebnyak-----

Though I wouldnt be suprised to see Morrison start ahead of Pearce as he had a good game on Monday, and also Brian will probably favour Ledge over Jem.

Good team for the Championship

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 21 Feb 2013 09:20

Guess I'm the only one who thinks Blackman may well keep his place.

Fed

Kelly
Mapps
Pearce
Harte

Ledge
Akpan

Blackman
McAnuff
Kebe (assuming he's fit)

Pog