We are down. So next season who stays and who goes?

418 posts
glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

Re: We are down. So next season who stays and who goes?

by glass half full » 10 Mar 2013 15:23

My apologies if I have missed this somewhere but I feel that successful players in the Youth ranks like Keown and Webb - and soon Krul - should now be considered.

Is it a great risk to take a punt at putting some of them in, even if initially on the bench?

Anyone who has had the privilege of watching the young players develop cannot fail to conclude that here is huge potential and full credit must be given to the Youth coaches.

If I had a criticism of Steve Coppell, it was that he was reluctant to risk youth. As Sir Alex Ferguson would, I am sure testify, if you are good enough, you are old enough.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 10 Mar 2013 15:29

Yes, let them at least get some league experience.

fedders1871

by fedders1871 » 10 Mar 2013 15:30

players wise i think we can hold onto the majority but players leaving i think
guthrie, pog, harte maybe,shorey maybe, fedders, roberts, church, pearce, cummings perhaps on loan,

i honestly think ALF will stay as long as he gets 1st team footy, hunt might sign a new deal now, federici has fallen out with the manager and i think its in our best interests to have mccarthy as no.1 for the long term

on managerwise not sure but i want to see a new manager although only if the right man comes in, i don't want us turning into wolves.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 10 Mar 2013 16:01

Big Ern A question to the Hob Nob Massive about Brian. No doubt he is a good Chump manager, however if he stayed and got us promoted next year, would anyone feel confident of him having another crack at the Prem considering his very evident tactical and personnel disasters this year?

Exactly.

Whether or not he could get us out of the Championship is neither here nor there. If we ever want to establish ourselves in the Premier League the we should move on from Brain ASAP.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 10 Mar 2013 17:12

I think the main problem for Brian has been money. I just don't believe that he had enough to build the team that he wanted to build. I don't think there was any real intent in trying to sign Gylffi and, as Dellor mentioned, if they had £10 million (+ wages) to spend on him, why not spend £3 million or whatever each on a couple of other players - players who could have been the difference between the ineffective team we have now and one with a bit of impetus who may have had the ability to win us more points than we currently have since January and, therefore, be putting us in a slightly better position than we are now. Who knows, but I simply cannot believe that McD would make the mistake that Coppell allegedly made and didn't bother spending the bulk of the money allocated to him in the transfer window. If he chose not to spend over £10 million because he was either hanging out for Gylffi or he was happy with what he had - it shows the limitations of the manager I'm afraid.

If, however, the real story is that that amount of money was simply not really available, then we could cut McD some slack. I'm still :| at the Carrico signing. Did he sign him for the Championship? Is he crocked?

Buying Akpan (who, in fairness, hasn't been too bad) and Blackman from lower leagues in the January window, when we were already staring relegation in the face just smacks to me of buying for next season in the Championship and, effectively, giving up on the Premiership and I can only think he's done this, precisely because he could not afford to buy the quality of player that we needed to try and stay up.

AkpansBFF

by AkpansBFF » 10 Mar 2013 18:04

I personally want these gone or we can't keep them:
Federici/McCarthy (One of them will leave, Federici will be snapped up then McCarthy will gain number one spot or Federici will stay and McCarthy will want first team football)
Anderson (Will be shipped out just as he wants, Taylor will get a new deal)
Shorey (Looked alright at first but Hartes proved he's up to the test)
Pearce (Love to see him stay, can cut it at championship level and with a bit more work could be a very decent centre back)
Gorkss (Although very good at championship level, we need new faces)
Gunter/Cummings (Both good at championship level, but Cummings doesn't get a look in and Gunter isn't trustworthy at right back)
McAnuff (Good at championship level, but we all no he's useless at premier level, so he will make way for fresh faces)
Tabb (Already confirmed)
Hunt (Not being offered a new deal, done nothing to show his worth either)
Pogrebnyak (Too high wages for a championship team)
Church (Doesn't want to stay, wants first team football)

Get in:

Bertrand (Hopefully Chelsea will sign Coles replacement and we can snap him up)
Sunzu (Not a clue if available, maybe another move for him?)
Not sure who maybe a youngster from abroad (If Federici/McCarthy were to move on)
Ince (I know we won't spend that much, and he's unlikely to come with his dad there, but it would show intent)
Vydra (By far Watfords best player this season, I know he won't come if they go up and we go down but worth a shout if they miss out on promotion?)
Not sure who, but a tall target man, someone from abroad maybe

Then with all these deals happening and the players from summer/january who stay I think we can challenge for promotion again.
I think Carrico, Akpan, Kelly will all be fantastic in the championship. Not sure about Nick Blackman, doesn't seem to me a favourite of mine so far.
I think Guthrie will stay, he hasn't showed why any premiership club would want him, Le fondre will stay, the lads loyal, Leigertwood is good at chamionship level, Roberts is quality at all levels, so a definate stay, Kebe still has a good contract like Karacan, Morrison, Mariappa. Harte will be given another contract like Roberts. McCleary will be given starts and Kanu will be out supersub with Le fondre starting.

I accept were down but if anything comes our way at United or Arsenal I will believe highly again, Come on URZ.

fedders1871

by fedders1871 » 10 Mar 2013 18:11

AkpansBFF I personally want these gone or we can't keep them:
Federici/McCarthy (One of them will leave, Federici will be snapped up then McCarthy will gain number one spot or Federici will stay and McCarthy will want first team football)
Pearce (Love to see him stay, can cut it at championship level and with a bit more work could be a very decent centre back)
Gunter/Cummings (Both good at championship level, but Cummings doesn't get a look in and Gunter isn't trustworthy at right back)
McAnuff (Good at championship level, but we all no he's useless at premier level, so he will make way for fresh faces)
Tabb (Already confirmed)

Get in:

Not sure who maybe a youngster from abroad (If Federici/McCarthy were to move on)
Ince (I know we won't spend that much, and he's unlikely to come with his dad there, but it would show intent)
Vydra (By far Watfords best player this season, I know he won't come if they go up and we go down but worth a shout if they miss out on promotion?)

Then with all these deals happening and the players from summer/january who stay I think we can challenge for promotion again.
I think Carrico, Akpan, Kelly will all be fantastic in the championship. Not sure about Nick Blackman, doesn't seem to me a favourite of mine so far.
I think Guthrie will stay, he hasn't showed why any premiership club would want him, Le fondre will stay, the lads loyal, Leigertwood is good at chamionship level, Roberts is quality at all levels, so a definate stay, Kebe still has a good contract like Karacan, Morrison, Mariappa. Harte will be given another contract like Roberts. McCleary will be given starts and Kanu will be out supersub with Le fondre starting.

I accept were down but if anything comes our way at United or Arsenal I will believe highly again, Come on URZ.

errrm your so deluded if you think guthrie will stay, he's already said he is leaving in summer anyway...
roberts is leaving 100% too he was supposed to sign a deal at start of season and roberts has done nothing apart from provide banter for the changing room
give me strength though if you think guthrie and roberts will stay lol

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 10 Mar 2013 18:11

What are you basing your assumption of Carrico being "fantastic" in the premiership on? :|

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Mar 2013 18:12

No way Vydra would come to Reading.

Mr.T10

by Mr.T10 » 10 Mar 2013 18:15

AkpansBFF Shorey (Looked alright at first but Hartes proved he's up to the test)

Stopped reading about then. Up for the test ROFL :lol:

Harte good championship player but we will need a new first team LB for next year.

Divvy

by Divvy » 10 Mar 2013 18:57

Big Ern A question to the Hob Nob Massive about Brian. No doubt he is a good Chump manager, however if he stayed and got us promoted next year, would anyone feel confident of him having another crack at the Prem considering his very evident tactical and personnel disasters this year?

No, obviously. As much as I like him, he's been telling us for months that he's learnt a lot this season but clearly that isn't the case. He's built a side that works hard, but lacks quality. He would need to build a new side, with a new system in mind, and he wont get the time to do that. If he is still here come the start of the new season, a bad start will see him gone within 10 games. We don't ever start well under BM, so the clock is now very much ticking. At the same time though, any new manager will be expected to hit the ground running and get us straight back up, and he will have a very limited side to work with. Not appointing a new manager this summer and giving him the transfer window could prove very very costly for next seasons promotion battle, and with this limited squad, I expect it to be a battle as well.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 10 Mar 2013 19:05

Wokingham via Waterloo FFS, dithering? The dithering that's given this club the longest sustained period of success in its history including two spells in the top flight and not a dull season for years? The dithering that has appointed a series of sought-after managers? The dithering that will leave a decent long-term platform for the future regardless of what happens for the rest of the season? If that's dithering then bring on more. Sure, there have been some bad decisions alongside the good, and I know everyone pays their money and has a right to do and say what they want, but if a lot of you think the only embarrassment today was the stuff on the pitch then you need to look at yourself a bit.

Great post.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 10 Mar 2013 19:13

fedders1871
AkpansBFF I personally want these gone or we can't keep them:
Tabb (Already confirmed)

Get in:

errrm your so deluded if you think guthrie will stay, he's already said he is leaving in summer anyway...
roberts is leaving 100% too he was supposed to sign a deal at start of season and roberts has done nothing apart from provide banter for the changing room
give me strength though if you think guthrie and roberts will stay lol

Lol you also failed to comment on the Bertrand signing for a Championship team line ....

Born 'n Bred Royal

by Born 'n Bred Royal » 10 Mar 2013 19:16

Everyone moaned about his tactics last year until the last part of the season when we went on an unbelievable winning streak.

He's done it once, so why not again? He should 100% be given the opportunity to do it again in my view.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 Mar 2013 19:29

Born 'n Bred Royal

He's done it once, so why not again? He should 100% be given the opportunity to do it again in my view.

I'm on record as saying AT THE TIME that we were

(1) giving away far too many chances and would be hammered if we did it in the Premiership

(2) Were a noticeably inferior team to West Ham, Saints and Birmingham and that they needed a lot less investment than us.

(3) We were "worth" 4th/5th/6th and a play-off spot would have been a great achievement

(4) We got VERY lucky

Born 'n Bred Royal

by Born 'n Bred Royal » 10 Mar 2013 19:33

Snowball
Born 'n Bred Royal

I'm on record as saying AT THE TIME that we were

(1) giving away far too many chances and would be hammered if we did it in the Premiership

(2) Were a noticeably inferior team to West Ham, Saints and Birmingham and that they needed a lot less investment than us.

(3) We were "worth" 4th/5th/6th and a play-off spot would have been a great achievement

(4) We got VERY lucky

That just doesn't cut it - you can't be promoted as Champions and be lucky, a season is 46 games long.

We played to our strengths - i.e. quick counter attacks and sharp play down the wings that terrorised defences in the Championship. the signing of Gorkss and Roberts also tipped the balance in our favour.

It obviously hasn't worked in the Prem but that's what you should expect if you don't invest enough in your squad at this level and we simply can't compete in that arena.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Mar 2013 20:07

Depends on whether he got us back up using the same system or whether he'd built a team capable of passing to do it.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 10 Mar 2013 20:18

Ian Royal

Depends on whether he got us back up using the same system or whether he'd built a team capable of passing to do it.

Agree with this. I would be happy for him to stay if he builds a new system based on ball retention.

Divvy

by Divvy » 10 Mar 2013 20:34

LoyalRoyal22
Ian Royal

Agree with this. I would be happy for him to stay if he builds a new system based on ball retention.

This! But I don't see it happening. He was fortunate that he had Sigurdsson when he inherited his side. He then built a team that sucks it up and plays it into the channels hitting sides on the break. He will believe in the same system that 'fortunately' took us up and nothing will change. I had hoped the new coach would offer ideas of ball retention, but perhaps as Guthrie found out, that isn't what BM wants..

I can only see a change in manager bringing the change in system we appear to need.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Mar 2013 20:41

In all seriousness, what I'd like to see is:

Goalkeeper
Something has to give here, probably several somethings. Personally, my preference would be sell Fed on for about £500k - £1.5m, make McCarthy first choice. I think Andersen is probably on his way out as well from what he's said. Henly out on loan and extend Taylor as a decent back-up to McCarthy. Providing we can keep one of McCarthy or Federici we look good here.
McCarthy, Taylor & Henly (Loan)

Fullback
We've got too many right backs and both our left backs are out of contract in the summer. So, I'd try converting Cummings to left back to deal with that situation as much as possible, and offer Shorey an extension. Harte can go. He's ok, but I can't help but feel our reliance on him is holding us back and we need someone more mobile. We look strong on the right side.
Kelly, Gunter / Cummings
Shorey, Cummings / New Signing
Failing this, sell Gunter and buy a new young(ish) left back.

Centreback
I'm doing this on the safe assumption we're down, so I'd say that means there's at best a 30% chance Pearce will stay, so I'll work on the basis he's leaving. If Wolves go down as looks likely, I think the Gorkss deal may fall through, in which case I think he offers us a good back up option. Otherwise it's a youngster or new signing to provide back up to Mariappa and Morrison. We look strong here.
Mariappa, Morrison & Pearce / Gorkss / New Signing / Youth Player

Central Midfield
This is the position that has the biggest problem, just as it did in the summer. Leigertwood is perfectly good enough for the Championship, but I'd ideally like to see him being phased out to back-up. Carrico is looking a failure, but it's hard to tell - so I'll show faith and say he should take on the defensive role. Akpan is a shoe in to stay and I think will benefit from a season as a first choice Championship player. He's our box to box watercarrier. Tabb, personally I'd keep as back up to Akpan. With Legs back-up (of a different sort) to Carrico. Really we need a goalscoring midfield number 10. But lets face it, we aren't getting one because we're getting relegated. Karacan, for me is a saleable midfielder who is holding us back with his lack of quality - even if he is good at Championship level. His style of play is exactly what we need to be getting away from. Guthrie is probably best to move on as there's just too much water under the bridge there. We're mediocre here. I'd like to use Obita to switch Robson-Kanu to a central attacking midfield number 10 role.
Carrico, Leigertwood
Akpan, Tabb
Robson-Kanu New Signing / Youth Player,

Wings
We're pretty strong here, with McAnuff good for another season at a lower level, Kebe's still got it, McCleary and Robson-Kanu are about ready to step in if needed. We've also got Obita who can step in with Robson-Kanu shifting central.
McAnuff, Obita
Kebe, McCleary

Strikers
One of the things I'm looking forward to about going down is ALF getting a season in the Championship. I think Pog is going to get snapped up, if not over the summer then definitely by January. Obviously ALF's best in a partnership, but I think he's got the potential to play on his own if only he gets support from midfield and we actually use midfield to pass the sodding ball around. Hunt is good enough at the lower level and would actually offer a decent option off the bench. I think it's time Roberts retired and pursued his media career. Church needs a new start. Blackman can try the lone role if ALF isn't working and offers us something a little different. We'd need a new body in as well. Our options are mediocre here if Pog goes.
ALF, Blackman, Hunt, New Signing / Youth Player.

So, in summary Out: Federici, Andersen, Harte, Pearce, Karacan, Guthrie, Pogrebnyak, Church, Roberts and maybe Gorkss and Gunter.

And we could play
................McCarthy
...Kelly, Morrison, Mariappa, Shorey
.............Carrico, Akpan
Kebe..............HRK...........McAnuff
....................ALF*

*or Blackman

Or

.............McCarthy
Kelly, Morrison, Mariappa, Shorey
Kebe, Carrico, Akpan, McAnuff
..........Blackman, ALF

Of course, this is absolutely not what will happen. Tabb will go, Karacan will probably stay. Harte will probably stay, Shorey will go. Etc, etc.

418 posts