Next Reading Manager: Press Conference @ 9:15

2614 posts
jimbangg

Re: Next Reading Manager

by jimbangg » 26 Mar 2013 17:42

Big Ern
jimbangg Nigel Howard Adkins...mmm Nob Hob Anyone?

Not Happening Anymore

Now He's A Royal...

Blackbag

Re: Next Reading Manager: Press Conference @ 9:15

by Blackbag » 26 Mar 2013 18:20

SuperMikey Saints fan here, in peace.

I'm gutted that Nigel has joined as your manager, not for any personal feelings against your club but more for the fact that I don't think he'll be appreciated enough with your fanbase unless he works miracles. From scanning through this thread I can definitely sense a bit of ambivalence about his appointment, which isn't a good sign for me. Personally I think that NA is far superior as a manager to Brian McDermott, he inherited a good squad when he joined us in 2010 but he did really well to get us promoted from L1 after a shocking start to our season under Pardew. He quickly implemented a new, impressive style of play in a squad that had been very direct under the previous regime and it worked very well. We were unlucky not to win the league after a few slip-ups towards the end of the season, same goes for what happened last season imo.

He's a top, top bloke and very positive - unlike McDermott who I always found a bit shifty and gloomy in his interviews. He's got bags of catchphrases ("on the bus", "in the building", "hard-working group of professionals", "one game at a time", "draw a blue line under it" etc) and i'm sure he'll do well for you. Personally I think your chances of staying up this season are pretty slim, but I would be much more confident in your ability to go straight back up under Nigel than under McDermott or anyone else.

Give him some time, let him bed in and he will be great for you. I think you can tell from the reaction from us Saints fans when he got sacked how much he was loved by us at the club, and I wish that he was still with us as manager - that's progression for you though.

Very happy with Atkins NOW BRING ON THE SAINTS COME ON YOU RRRSSSSS

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Mar 2013 18:21

The Royals have announced a press conference for tomorrow at 9:1- oh.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Mar 2013 18:38

genome The Royals have announced a press conference for tomorrow at 9:1- oh.

Nah mate it was today. Some time this morning not sure when.

Esteban

by Esteban » 26 Mar 2013 18:49

First opportunity I've had to hear the press conference and I know it's easy to read into these things what you want to hear, but I have to say I'm impressed so far.

I was gutted when Brian was sacked and I still think he should be here now; but having said that, now I've heard what Adkins had to say, I'm more convinced that we've got the right replacement. It's great to hear some defiance from a Reading manager and it seems to me that Anton and Adkins' ideas are a little closer than Anton's and Brian's. There were a few clichés, some awkward moments and one or two evasive actions, but broadly speaking, I think most came off well.

I thought Anton was brave (or perhaps naive) to sit dead centre of the table next to Adkins and it came across as a strong show of support, in my opinion. However, whoever our PR officer should get the sack for putting Anton in front of the cameras with obviously precious little preparation for the onslaught he faced. Given the negative press he's received these past couple of weeks, I think he got the reception most people thought he might.

So, welcome Nigel, here's hoping for a long amd successful partnership. And damn you for giving me renewed hope that we might actually stay up!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Mar 2013 18:59

He's had over two weeks prep for questions like that. The fact he ducked out of Dolan's press conference a couple of weeks ago suggests he knew he was going to get a rough ride then so he should've been prepared for them when he eventually spoke publicly.
Last edited by sandman on 26 Mar 2013 20:49, edited 2 times in total.

Esteban

by Esteban » 26 Mar 2013 19:09

sandman He's had over two weeks prep for questions like that the fact he ducked out of Dolan's press conference a couple of weeks ago suggests he knew he was going to get a rough ride when he spoke publicly.

I'm sure he was well aware that he'd get asked some tough questions and this is the first time he's had to face up to making a controversial decision.I thought he did his best, but was woefully ill-prepared. I guess he can only get better.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 26 Mar 2013 19:25

Get the feeling we might get more in the way of negative press from now on. The journalists will no doubt still be following the old ingrained cold war and populist bollox:

U.S = Goodies.
Russia = Baddies.
Eastern Europe = Used to be baddies now trying to be goodies.
Middle East Oil Barons = Love buying into the glamour.

Predictable crap from the media.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 26 Mar 2013 20:38

Esteban
sandman He's had over two weeks prep for questions like that the fact he ducked out of Dolan's press conference a couple of weeks ago suggests he knew he was going to get a rough ride when he spoke publicly.

I'm sure he was well aware that he'd get asked some tough questions and this is the first time he's had to face up to making a controversial decision.I thought he did his best, but was woefully ill-prepared. I guess he can only get better.

Woefully ill prepared? Really? Slightly uncomfortable but that was because he strikes me as someone who was having to make a decision between sticking up for his reputation amongst his own teams fans and knocking a guy (BM) who he likes a lot and was not there to defend himself. Other than that I'd say if you know what you are talking about and have nothing to hide then you don't need to prepare - that is the case with AZ in my opinion...

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 26 Mar 2013 20:41

Royalclapper Get the feeling we might get more in the way of negative press from now on. The journalists will no doubt still be following the old ingrained cold war and populist bollox:

U.S = Goodies.
Russia = Baddies.
Eastern Europe = Used to be baddies now trying to be goodies.
Middle East Oil Barons = Love buying into the glamour.

Predictable crap from the media.

A suitable comment for someone with a surrealist painting as their profile pic... :D
but I agree!

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 26 Mar 2013 21:57

Who wouldn't be happy with this appointment??

Attractive football, gets teams promoted, can pick a player more often than not and has an owner who has picked him and looks prepared to back him.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 26 Mar 2013 22:02

Lacoste Who wouldn't be happy with this appointment??

Err Me!

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 27 Mar 2013 09:12

SHORT AND CURLY

Err Me!

Yeh, but you're a nob jockey.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 27 Mar 2013 13:49

Ideal
SHORT AND CURLY

Err Me!

Me too! More of a sideways move than you'd see in a pro drift competition!

Yeh, but you're a nob jockey.

2614 posts