Transfer budget 2013-14?

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Transfer budget 2013-14?

by akranes » 21 Mar 2013 16:59

Royal With Cheese I'm never been sure of HRK. Occasionally brilliant, mostly sub standard. He needs to improve average performances substantially to warrant regular first team football.

Same here, he never seems to be bothered too much imo. Has potential though, maybe as an AM.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 21 Mar 2013 17:00

akranes
Royal With Cheese I'm never been sure of HRK. Occasionally brilliant, mostly sub standard. He needs to improve average performances substantially to warrant regular first team football.

Same here, he never seems to be bothered too much imo. Has potential though, maybe as an AM.

Yes. There's only so many seasons you can have potential before you have to move on.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 21 Mar 2013 17:04

akranes

Harsh, I think he's been the most impressive of all our wingers this season. Not that that's saying too much of course... But he does seem to have found an extra gear, especially in the last couple of months.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Mar 2013 17:06

winchester_royal
akranes

Harsh, I think he's been the most impressive of all our wingers this season. Not that that's saying too much of course... But he does seem to have found an extra gear, especially in the last couple of months.

He's got everything he needs, skill, pace, strength, physique, finishing. He just needs to work on his decision making a bit. It's that which puts him significantly behind McAnuff and Kebe for me.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 21 Mar 2013 17:07

Kebe - when fit, absolutely pisses over HRK.

Jobi, although much maligned, also looks considerably more dangerous.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 21 Mar 2013 17:41

I reckon pretty tight budget.

Lavish by Reading standards - i.e. no compulsory departures, any money sold can be reinvested, but total funds about £2-3m for a new striker and a new centre back.

So why would Poyet consider it? BHA made about a £9m loss last year, similarly to other clubs in the top 10 hunt . Theres only so much money their owner can win playing poker, so they will be forced into cloth cutting out of necessity, as well as FFP.

For the clubs that don't make it up this season, there will be severe belt tightening this summer. Wagebills will be almost halved by my reckoning, and FFP will prevent clubs like Leicester and Cardiff continuing their big spending.

And I think if Sunderland/Villa/QPR and even Wigan come down, their entrenched PL wagebills mean the parachute just staves off disaster, rather than is available to spend.

So I'd make us overwhelming financial favourites next season, but thats as the only club with a positive transfer budget, not a big one.

I think we'll be trying to add players with PL potential though, so that might a big ask. Tom Ince?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 21 Mar 2013 17:59

Maybe this is the time when the Russians take us to the "next level"

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 21 Mar 2013 19:37

Enough to buy Bridcutt plus £2m.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 22 Mar 2013 10:05

My understand of club finance at championship level is that the entire parachute payment will simply fill the gap between player wages and the much lower income. We lost 12m last year in the Championship and our wage bill is much higher now. In fact we would have to sell just to break even.

I'm guessing that the Russian's are going to pony up some cash but they are a few 'rich' clubs in the championship and I reckon it will take over 10m of purchases to guarantee promotion.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Mar 2013 10:08

Elm Park Kid My understand of club finance at championship level is that the entire parachute payment will simply fill the gap between player wages and the much lower income. We lost 12m last year in the Championship and our wage bill is much higher now. In fact we would have to sell just to break even.

I'm guessing that the Russian's are going to pony up some cash but they are a few 'rich' clubs in the championship and I reckon it will take over 10m of purchases to guarantee promotion.

I thought we wrote a clause into players' contracts that if we get relegated, their wages go down....

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 22 Mar 2013 10:31

Wimb
shaka's shorts Even if the transfer budget is small a new manager will have lots of cash to play with. Assume we sell Guthrie, Feds and Pog and let the likes of Church, Hunt, Tabb, Harte go. Then we will have a huge saving in wages and a bit of cash to splash even without parachute payments etc. And we'd still have a decent champ squad.

^^^ this

id keep hunt, but other than that.....

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 22 Mar 2013 10:33

winchester_royal
akranes

massive :| at that
probably been our 4th best winger
and the last couple of months have been about the same as the rest of this or last season.

some decent performances, mostly off the bench, and a few dips in form.

i like him. alot. but....

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Mar 2013 10:36

melonhead
massive :| at that
probably been our 4th best winger
and the last couple of months have been about the same as the rest of this or last season.

some decent performances, mostly off the bench, and a few dips in form.

i like him. alot. but....

You could have just described McCleary there.
I like McAnuff but he's better as an AM these days for me.
Kebe has hardly been on the pitch.

Hal is the only guy for me who has really kicked on this season. Like him a lot.

JayRoyal

by JayRoyal » 22 Mar 2013 11:04

£10m, and a huge shocker when we sign Kaka on a free from Madrid