Brian - Goals on Sunday

171 posts
St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Brian - Goals on Sunday

by St. Brynjar » 31 Mar 2013 13:44

Divvy
St. Brynjar Can anyone summarise what he said?

Should have spent more (money was there). Reading fans should be pleased that AZ was willing to invest significant money in January. He disagreed with his sacking but feels Adkins is the perfect fit. Said Adkins was classy for texting him the morning he took the job, and they discussed the club and BM had only good things to say about everyone here. Also referred to 'us' and 'we' when talking about Reading.

He's a true gent and a Reading man through and through. I agree we needed change but I do feel bad for such a nice guy to get the bullet like he did.

Also now online - http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... um=twitter

:( I miss him so much. Going to console myself with the Brian McDermott song now.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 31 Mar 2013 13:50

His eprsonal integrity was apparent throughout the interview. He's a top man, and Reading through and through.

What really worried me was towards the end of the programme when they asked him where next, and quoted lots of Leeds fans hoping he would be interested in the Leeds job next season. I'd hate him to go there ...

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 31 Mar 2013 13:51

Top man - will be a long while before the club has someone that presents it in such a positive way in the media.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 31 Mar 2013 13:55

The Real Sandhurst Royal we move on

Hard to top that for both hilarity and originality

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 31 Mar 2013 14:27

Upper West Ginger His eprsonal integrity was apparent throughout the interview. He's a top man, and Reading through and through.

What really worried me was towards the end of the programme when they asked him where next, and quoted lots of Leeds fans hoping he would be interested in the Leeds job next season. I'd hate him to go there ...

I think one way or another he will be managing in the CC next year, it will be hard watching him bring a team here to try and beat us, he will undoubtedly get a thunderous welcome.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 31 Mar 2013 14:40

windermere_royal
Upper West Ginger His eprsonal integrity was apparent throughout the interview. He's a top man, and Reading through and through.

I think one way or another he will be managing in the CC next year, it will be hard watching him bring a team here to try and beat us, he will undoubtedly get a thunderous welcome.

Wouldnt surprise me if he got Leicester job....Pearson is a dead man walking ...

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 31 Mar 2013 14:41

Gutting to watch.... our club really is a bit shit in every way really

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 31 Mar 2013 14:51

Cureton's Volley Gutting to watch.... our club really is a bit shit in every way really

Why. Manager who made a complete balls up of the season in being fired shock. Yes he is a very nice person, but then again so was Mother Teresa. I doubt she would have hacked it I'm the Prem.

Royal Monk

by Royal Monk » 31 Mar 2013 14:56

TBF i would be pretty relaxed if i had just been sacked with a £1,000,000 + payoff

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 31 Mar 2013 15:02

Wimb
ZacNaloen
winchester_royal I'm not sure the money was necessarily there in the summer. The impression I've got from both BM and AZ in their respective interviews is that the summer was a club-wide decision not to massively invest, and only in January did Anton tell Brian to go out to spend some money. Brian basically said he should have realised in the summer that the squad needed strengthening and lobbied the owner to give him more money, rather than sitting back and saying he's happy with the squad.

I'd put it another way, the money was there but all of them made a concious decision not to use it. Which they now regret.

The fact they keep banging on about the scouting system makes me think they didn't trust Brian to spend it and wanted more data before they sanctioned buys. I think Brian's said off the record that he did have a few more lined up but they didn't sanction big spending.

The fact that Anton's been banging on about January rather than June would lend weight to such a theory.

Whatever the case, SJM and Hammond probably should have been more forceful and lent Anton the 07/08 DVD...

One thing that I think was interesting was when he talked about January. Although he mentioned the bids for Gylfi and Tom Ince, he also made a point of stating we'd been really active in the market (only second in terms of number of purchases to Newcastle) and talked about how he'd made 'Reading type signings'. Though I wouldn't have expected him to have said the new players weren't good enough, he did seem genuinely convinced that the players bought were up to the job and that the strategy of buying lower league players was an approach that works. He never acknowledged that in order to cut itin the Prem, you need to purchase Premiership quality players and not this is why he had to go.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 31 Mar 2013 15:43

I found it more interesting that he thought AZ wanted to see him "to discuss the team for Man Utd and who they'd be playing" - alluding to the fact that AZ gets rather too involved for my personal liking - why should a chairman need to "discuss" this with a manager - it must have happened previously if that's what McD thought the meeting was about.

I thought he came across brilliantly - bit self deprecating, genuine bloke and I still think there should have been more of a tribute to him by the club for his 13 years of service to it.

Didn't even get the chance to say goodbye to the players. :cry:

Good luck McD - whoever gets you next will be very, very lucky indeed.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 31 Mar 2013 15:53

Royal Lady I found it more interesting that he thought AZ wanted to see him "to discuss the team for Man Utd and who they'd be playing" - alluding to the fact that AZ gets rather too involved for my personal liking - why should a chairman need to "discuss" this with a manager - it must have happened previously if that's what McD thought the meeting was about.

I thought he came across brilliantly - bit self deprecating, genuine bloke and I still think there should have been more of a tribute to him by the club for his 13 years of service to it.

Will be interesting to see if he features in the video they play before the match on Saturday. When our new manager left Southampton they seemed to wipe him from history and didn't acknowledge his achievements there.

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 31 Mar 2013 15:55

Big Ern Yes he is a very nice person, but then again so was Mother Teresa.

In the sense that she didn't prescribe painkillers as 'suffering brings you closer to Jesus'?

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 31 Mar 2013 16:03

Royal Lady I found it more interesting that he thought AZ wanted to see him "to discuss the team for Man Utd and who they'd be playing" - alluding to the fact that AZ gets rather too involved for my personal liking - why should a chairman need to "discuss" this with a manager - it must have happened previously if that's what McD thought the meeting was about.

It's well documented that Anton has a hands on approach that Brian liked - they always chatted about the team and new signings, Anton came to Brian with ideas about which players to sign etc.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 31 Mar 2013 16:14

Royal Monk TBF i would be pretty relaxed if i had just been sacked with a £1,000,000 + payoff

Where did you get the £1mil pay off from ?

GreaterTorontoRoyal

by GreaterTorontoRoyal » 31 Mar 2013 16:23

Westwood52
Royal Monk TBF i would be pretty relaxed if i had just been sacked with a £1,000,000 + payoff

Where did you get the £1mil pay off from ?

Sacked = Pay out contract.
Contract until 2015.
Average salary for a manager like him - £500k or more
2 and a half or so seasons. Easy 1m
Remember Coppell took a £500k paycut when we were relegated

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 31 Mar 2013 18:00

Big Ern
Cureton's Volley Gutting to watch.... our club really is a bit shit in every way really

Why. Manager who made a complete balls up of the season in being fired shock. Yes he is a very nice person, but then again so was Mother Teresa. I doubt she would have hacked it I'm the Prem.

:lol:

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 31 Mar 2013 18:27

Just watching it now. He comes across as a genuine and gracious guy - no surprises there.

Lets be honest though - Reading taking a punt on their chief scout has resulted in Brian getting more exposure and money than he ever could have dreamed of 4 years ago.

His reputation remains intact and he will very quickly secure another championship job - something which he wouldn't have got without us so it's not all bad for him. His stock is very high & I'm sure he's eternally grateful to RFC for that.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 31 Mar 2013 18:34

Tommy Youlden's Ears
Big Ern Yes he is a very nice person, but then again so was Mother Teresa.

In the sense that she didn't prescribe painkillers as 'suffering brings you closer to Jesus'?

Well, as a Reading supporter I have never felt so close to Jesus than I have this season.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 31 Mar 2013 18:45

yes Royal Lady ^^^ this. A fine man. And a fine manager.

171 posts