Worst game of the season.

What's been the worst game of the season?

Reading 5-7 Arsenal
8%
Wigan 3-2 Reading
2%
Villa 1-0 Reading
6%
Southampton 1-0 Reading
4%
Sunderland 3-0 Reading
8%
Reading 2-5 Arsenal
1%
Reading 0-3 Wigan
63%
Reading 1-2 Villa
1%
Reading 0-2 Southampton
3%
Other
2%

Total votes: 224
Rex
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Worst game of the season.

by Rex » 25 Apr 2013 00:01

Southampton, Villa and Wigan away. Total crock performances.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 25 Apr 2013 00:19

Rev Algenon Stickleback H Oddly I'd chose the opening day draw with Stoke.

Playing a team traditionally poor away, and no more than average overall, we worked our socks off and were still comfortably 2nd best to a team who barely looked like they were breaking into a sweat.

It had the hallmarks of relegation stamped all over it, right from day one of the season.

How is that worse then getting anally battered by Wigan, just when it gets crucial?

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 25 Apr 2013 01:06

Playing a team traditionally poor away, and no more than average overall, we worked our socks off and were still comfortably 2nd best to a team who barely looked like they were breaking into a sweat.

It had the hallmarks of relegation stamped all over it, right from day one of the season.

Going one down thanks to an unfortunate goalkeeping error, seeing a new signing change the game and win a 90th minute penalty to salvage a draw in our return to the Prem. You're right, it was sh*t.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 25 Apr 2013 05:25

Sheffield Wednesday 2 Reading 0 . pre-season friendly , a team just promoted to the CC beating a team comfortably just promoted to the PL, it was glossed over has just being a friendly, but you don`t often see PL teams losing to this kind of opposition, in my heart of hearts I feared we were doomed from that moment on.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 25 Apr 2013 07:32

windermere_royal Sheffield Wednesday 2 Reading 0 . pre-season friendly , a team just promoted to the CC beating a team comfortably just promoted to the PL, it was glossed over has just being a friendly, but you don`t often see PL teams losing to this kind of opposition, in my heart of hearts I feared we were doomed from that moment on.

On that note I went to Basingstoke and saw our 'development XI' utterly destroyed 5-0....

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 25 Apr 2013 07:45

bcubed
paultheroyal
No Fixed Abode Surprised Villa 1-0 Reading isn't winning. Possibly the worst advert for Premier League football I've ever witnessed.

Thats because Southampton 1-0 Reading was even worse.

The Villa game was an absolutely awful game of football (worse than Watford game above) - nothing of any note, no ability to control the ball or to make a simple pass, let alone create any goal chances, by either team.

But I cant decide between Reading's performances - v Villa or v Southampton? Tricky and not much to choose from - its quite difficult this thread isnt it?

Le Fondre missed an absolute sitter at 0-0 if you remember, heading over from less than 5 yards away.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 25 Apr 2013 09:02

BenSmith91 Southampton 1-0 Reading

Just because we offered absolutely nothing. I have never been more bored and frustrated at a game. We could barely string two passes together.

Agreed with this, the match I realised we were really in dire trouble (the comparison to the performance there in the previous season was so stark)

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 25 Apr 2013 20:28

It has to be Wigan at home-after that we knew we were screwed. We didn't even get close to them.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 25 Apr 2013 21:09

Wigan at home.......just terrible.

percyisfreeman

by percyisfreeman » 25 Apr 2013 21:15

Wouldn't say worst game, but the realisation how diificult it was going be to this time around, Came first game of the season at home to Stoke 1-1.
Tottenham at home 3-1 was shit, we had no idea how to control a game.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 25 Apr 2013 22:21

Royal Ginger

How is that worse then getting anally battered by Wigan, just when it gets crucial?

Because I never felt it was crucial.

I'd accepted relegation and knew a good blip in form would only ever be a blip, and we'd inevitably slump back again. Had it come with maybe four or five games to go then maybe it would have given us a little cushion of points with little time to catch up, but with three months of the season left, it would have made little difference.

We weren't good enough, not by a long chalk. Anyone fooled by a little 6 game run of results was deluding themselves.

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 25 Apr 2013 22:51

One of the few games I missed Wigan H, lol what a shambles - at least when I watched it online I could switch it off (at 80 mins) and I was warm

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 25 Apr 2013 22:55

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Royal Ginger

Because I never felt it was crucial.

I'd accepted relegation and knew a good blip in form would only ever be a blip, and we'd inevitably slump back again. Had it come with maybe four or five games to go then maybe it would have given us a little cushion of points with little time to catch up, but with three months of the season left, it would have made little difference.

We weren't good enough, not by a long chalk. Anyone fooled by a little 6 game run of results was deluding themselves.

agreed, despite all that 6 games run, we were 2nd best in every game except sunderland at home and Newcastle away 2nd half - west brom, Chelsea, Newcastle H 1st half, everton h - in all games we were totally outplayed for huge parts of the games - how we beat Everton and drew with Chelsea is minor miracle

take the relegation and rebuild. if we go straight back up then great but im expected it as it doesn't happen often.

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 25 Apr 2013 22:57

wigan H 0-3
villa H 1-2 - whilst royals played well 1st half it showed we weren't good enough. didn't care about losing to arsenal and spurs, its these games we had to win, but we had no hope

still, we'll beat qpr

John Peel

by John Peel » 25 Apr 2013 23:29

Where's Swansea at home on Boxing Day?? That was fecking awful! So many to choose from I guess. Southampton second half at home comes next for me.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 26 Apr 2013 03:03

Sunderland (A) was the game I felt was so bad that Brian should have got the sack
VIlla (H) + Wigan (H) did get him the sack
A season to cherish...

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 26 Apr 2013 09:31

April 28th 2013

Reading 1-QPR 3

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 26 Apr 2013 09:40

P!ssed Off Wigan and Villa consecutively at home have to be the worst pairing of consecutive games I've ever experienced as a Reading fan.
Two must win games and over the two we were pretty much destroyed. Was the final nail in the coffin of a terrible season as well as a popular/successful manager.

Ditto

Caversham Royal

by Caversham Royal » 26 Apr 2013 16:40

My vote goes to the Southampton away game. As with most away games this season, I watched online through my TV & this was probably the first time I got really angry at what I was seeing (prob surprising it took me that long!). The clinching moment was when Mr Maccy-D did what became his signature crap-move for me; take off a central mdfielder & rather than put one of the other central midfielders on the bench on in his place, instead perfrom the 'tactical masterstroke' of putting McAnuff in the middle. Only this time rather than at least bringing on a winger he brought on Noel Hunt to play on the wing instead. Must-win game, 1-0 down, team vastly underperforming & in great need of a +ve attacking change to at least try to get level....and his answer is to make a substition that results in 2 players being played out of position when we had actual central midfielders & wingers on the bench! AAAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!! Still annoys me! This was probably the first time I really screamed & shouted expletives in frustration at Brian's tactics & substitutions this season and it sadly wasn't the last, hence why the game gets my vote.
Although it actually sounds like the home game vs Wigan was worse, I was thankfully sat in a pub in Ireland drinking Kilkenny Beer & watching the rugby at the time so didn't see it. If I'd been less fortunate & at the game instead, I may well have voted for that one!

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 26 Apr 2013 18:24

Caversham Royal My vote goes to the Southampton away game. As with most away games this season, I watched online through my TV & this was probably the first time I got really angry at what I was seeing (prob surprising it took me that long!). The clinching moment was when Mr Maccy-D did what became his signature crap-move for me; take off a central mdfielder & rather than put one of the other central midfielders on the bench on in his place, instead perfrom the 'tactical masterstroke' of putting McAnuff in the middle. Only this time rather than at least bringing on a winger he brought on Noel Hunt to play on the wing instead. Must-win game, 1-0 down, team vastly underperforming & in great need of a +ve attacking change to at least try to get level....and his answer is to make a substition that results in 2 players being played out of position when we had actual central midfielders & wingers on the bench! AAAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!! Still annoys me! This was probably the first time I really screamed & shouted expletives in frustration at Brian's tactics & substitutions this season and it sadly wasn't the last, hence why the game gets my vote.
Although it actually sounds like the home game vs Wigan was worse, I was thankfully sat in a pub in Ireland drinking Kilkenny Beer & watching the rugby at the time so didn't see it. If I'd been less fortunate & at the game instead, I may well have voted for that one!

The Southampton (A) game pissed me off so much that after a few years of lurking I actually had to join hobnob to vent literally less than an hour after the game. Says a lot about the rest of our season that at this point Southampton (A) is no longer even in the top 3 worst games of the season imo.