BFTG v QPR

135 posts
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

BFTG v QPR

by Royal Lady » 28 Apr 2013 16:58

Well, contrary to a lot of callers, on my way home, to Radio Berks - I thought we played ok there - everyone had a good game, everyone got stuck in. Disgusted with the bloke behind me who continually abused Blackman and the fans chanting for ALF - Blackman plays because he's told to and as Mick Gooding said, he's not being played through the middle which is his preferred position. He'll be good for us in Championship I reckon. I think we have the makings of a quality team in the Championship - I think we'll do all right - I can see what Adkins is trying to do, and our passing was brilliant at times today, no long ball hit and hope - so he has the rest of this season and pre-season to bring in a few more players, get rid of a few and concentrate on his game plan. I'm looking forward to winning lots of games in the Championship. URZZZZ!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG v QPR

by URZZZZ » 28 Apr 2013 17:06

One of the most boring games I've ever seen.

Mccarthy 6- Not much to do but shouldn't have come out when Bothroyd was one on one.
Gunter 7- Solid and got forward well.
Mapps 6-Solid
Morrison 6- Read mapps
Kelly 7- Read Gunter
Jem 8- Much much better today
Guthrie 8- Played well, got good vision
Gmac 5- Didn't happen for him today
Jobi 8- Looks much better in the middle TBF
Pog 6- Looks disinterested. Should have scored. Need to get him out of the starting 11.
Blackman 1- Awful

HRK 3- Rubbish today. Kept on waiting for the ball.
Alf 5- Ineffective. Made stupid decisions like shhoting from the corner flag?
Harte 6- Didn't do much

Didn't see the point of bringing on Harte. We needed a goal yet still brought on Harte. What about Hunt or Carrico? Adkins makes some weird desicions.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 28 Apr 2013 17:07

RL...agreed :shock:

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 28 Apr 2013 17:08

I agree, he's only been here a few weeks and already the movement and passing is a different level to what we were doing before! Hell het it right I'm sure about that. Few out and a few in and we will be fine. Even karacan was passing ffs

Very encouraging.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 28 Apr 2013 17:08

RL's pretty much summed it up for me. :shock: :lol:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 28 Apr 2013 17:12

Not sharing the Pog h8.

The Beardy Man

by The Beardy Man » 28 Apr 2013 17:14

Platypuss Not sharing the Pog h8.

Indeed, thought he had a very decent game. You could see what an asset he might have been to a side looking to play the ball to his feet today. I too also agree with Royal Lady. Some really positive signs from that game again for me.

Karacan, Guthrie and McAnuff also impressive.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Apr 2013 17:15

and as Mick Gooding said, he's not being played through the middle which is his preferred position

Except he was played through the middle for a large chunk of his performance.

He may well come good at some point in the future but right now he looks like he's way out of his depth and a bum signing.

As for the rest of it, we did ok at times but it was a pretty toothless performance and we're quite a way short of having an attacking force to scare the Championship.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 28 Apr 2013 17:15

Royal Lady Well, contrary to a lot of callers, on my way home, to Radio Berks - I thought we played ok there - everyone had a good game, everyone got stuck in. Disgusted with the bloke behind me who continually abused Blackman and the fans chanting for ALF - Blackman plays because he's told to and as Mick Gooding said, he's not being played through the middle which is his preferred position. He'll be good for us in Championship I reckon. I think we have the makings of a quality team in the Championship - I think we'll do all right - I can see what Adkins is trying to do, and our passing was brilliant at times today, no long ball hit and hope - so he has the rest of this season and pre-season to bring in a few more players, get rid of a few and concentrate on his game plan. I'm looking forward to winning lots of games in the Championship. URZZZZ!

+1 ... some of the callers and commentators on BBC Berkshire were unbelievable; thought we played with a lot of spirit and good passing especially in the 2nd half just lacked composure and above all confidence in the final third. Actually quite enjoyed the game and hope we'll see more of this next season but obviously with goals as well ... but generally encouraged.

Biscuit_Boy

by Biscuit_Boy » 28 Apr 2013 17:17

Just got back from the game and listened to AZ on radio Berks. He explained to Dellor about changing the way we play and he's right, there is a big improvement in the way we are keeping the ball. We might be going down but we stand a much better chance of staying up next time compared to the kick and rush tripe previously, which can get you promoted but is not going to let you compete in the Premier League. The nearest to that is Stoke City, but who wants to watch that every week? And Dellor was still banging on about the timing of Brian's sacking, does he not get it? 'Cos I do.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 28 Apr 2013 17:20

I don't see how Blackman gets a 1 and Alf a 5 - Le Fondre was dreadful today, did absolutely nothing. I thought Pog was absolutely superb today along with Guthrie and Jobi. Shame it didn't quite happen for us.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 28 Apr 2013 17:20

Yeah AZ told Dellor it's the club that people support, not the management - which is completely true - managers come and go and we're still here. I don't know of anyone who refuses to attend games anymore because McDermott got the sack. Don't get me wrong, I felt sorry for McD and I don't believe he had the sort of money that he needed to make major improvements to the squad - but he's gone now and anyone who cannot see that Adkins has already made changes in our style of play doesn't deserve to have their comments given any credence.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 28 Apr 2013 17:21

Hoop Blah
and as Mick Gooding said, he's not being played through the middle which is his preferred position

Except he was played through the middle for a large chunk of his performance.

He may well come good at some point in the future but right now he looks like he's way out of his depth and a bum signing.

As for the rest of it, we did ok at times but it was a pretty toothless performance and we're quite a way short of having an attacking force to scare the Championship.

Agree with this. There seems to be a belief in some quarters that this is just a tough league, and our team are suddenly going to look like Brazil just because we're away at Leeds instead of Chelsea.

We need some astute signings in the summer to challenge for promotion.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 28 Apr 2013 17:22

urz13 I don't see how Blackman gets a 1 and Alf a 5 - Le Fondre was dreadful today, did absolutely nothing. I thought Pog was absolutely superb today along with Guthrie and Jobi. Shame it didn't quite happen for us.

I certainly think Guthrie showed some of the reasons why a few of us thought he should be playing earlier this season - I hope we keep him for next season.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 28 Apr 2013 17:25

Positives
McAnuff
I've criticised McAnuff's captaining a lot this season.
Today he did give a true captain's performance, I was impressed. Throughout the game he was our hardest working player (by quite a long way in the first half I thought), and I heard/saw him talking to the team. He also played very well (especially when in the middle) and was involved in practically all our good moves. MOTM.
If he plays like that, or in that spirit, for the last three games of the season then I'd be happy for him to keep the armband.

We played some decent football, and created many chances.

QPR are worse than us. Even if we finish below them this season, at least next season there'll be at least one team below us.

Karacan showed that he might well have a place under Adkins new style, previously I thought his passing wouldn't be good enough.

Negatives
Blackman is absolutely shite. I might have to take the blame for his foul throw though, I shouted "don't foul throw!" just before he took it. Maybe he heard and it put him off, my bad.

Our strikers. Whilst Pog's general lack of goals might be put down to lack of service, today plenty of chances were created. He should have scored at least 2 of his 4 or so very good chances. ALF didn't do much when coming on either.
Last edited by P!ssed Off on 28 Apr 2013 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

Brian's left bollock

by Brian's left bollock » 28 Apr 2013 17:26

I literally hate football

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 28 Apr 2013 17:29

The whole 'McD was sacked to give Adkins time to experiment' bobbins doesn't really stack up when he fields exactly the same starting XI who failed against Norwich :|

Guthrie played well in midfield but his set-pieces were poor. Blackman was absolutely diabolical; playing as a winger, his lack of confidence on the ball is summed up by him turning and shileding the ball with his back to the opposition goal whenever he is under pressure.

Our fans are complete idiots. The love-affair with ALF I find staggering, Pog is twice the player. Pog turns and hits a glorious effort which curls just wide second half.....and the Le Fondre chant comes up. ALF once again mainly anonymous when he came on.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 28 Apr 2013 17:33

Agreed on ALF chants, but what really gets my goat is when we applaud away fans songs! Cringe!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 28 Apr 2013 17:36

That was the best Jem has played all season. The ball retention axis looked comfortable, and for the first time it didn't look like we were playing a game that was unnatural.

Still a long way to go in terms of chance creation, but that will only come through time, patience, and practice.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Apr 2013 17:37

floyd__streete The whole 'McD was sacked to give Adkins time to experiment' bobbins doesn't really stack up when he fields exactly the same starting XI who failed against Norwich :|

It's not about experimenting, it's about learning what the squad can do and starting to bed in the changes Zingaravich appointed Adkins to make.

135 posts