Loan Watch 2013 - 2014

220 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Loan Watch 2013 - 2014

by Ian Royal » 01 Mar 2015 21:13

I hadn't thought of that... it is pretty clever.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 02 Mar 2015 16:28

Tanner and Tshibola played against each other. Hartlepool won 1-0. Wimbledon fans are not happy with Tanner,

Just to counter this as its un-sourced..

Alex Mitchell ‏@MitchellAT Feb 25
he's doing really well for us - just needs to grab himself a goal!
played off Akinfenwa on Sat & it was one of the best 1st half displays I've seen.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 08 Mar 2015 12:35

ZacNaloen
Tanner and Tshibola played against each other. Hartlepool won 1-0. Wimbledon fans are not happy with Tanner,

Just to counter this as its un-sourced..

Alex Mitchell ‏@MitchellAT Feb 25
he's doing really well for us - just needs to grab himself a goal!
played off Akinfenwa on Sat & it was one of the best 1st half displays I've seen.

Only just saw this.

My comments are based on this: http://wupgb.co.uk/index.php

Run a search for "Tanner". There are several comments about needing to send him back and ironic suggestions that he might score a goal, several suggestions that he's not cut out for competitive football and a general consensus that he's not done much since his debut (except that he should have been awarded a penalty on Tuesday). Dropped to the bench today and wasn't involved in the winning goal.

Tshibola's regular midfield partner, Michael Woods, was injured yesterday. The match degenerated into long ball stuff, where Aaron was never going to influence play much, and apparently he looked "lost" and "off".

Dom Hyam had his best game for Hemel yet. Some comments from fans:
Firstly, I think Dom Hyam is quality, wins a lot in the air (as he did last night) and looks quite assured for a young player.

I would like to give a mention about young Dominic Hyam, on his debut he looked like Bambi on ice, but seems to have got better game by game, good on the ball and in the air, i lost count of the times he covered David King on tuesday night.

Another good week for Samuel, setting up a goal for Coventry. Jinked around in the area a bit and could have chanced a shot, but laid it back to someone in a better position. He was also part of the counter attack for their second goal but Nouble passed right instead of left. It looked like Coventry's style really suits him and I wouldn't be too surprised if he decides to join them in the summer (but hopefully we keep him).

Dickie and Moore played 180 minutes each for Basingstoke this week. On Tuesday, Dickie scored on his 19th birthday; although they conceded two goals, the local journo said both our players played "without fuss". Yesterday, it sounds like Dickie had another really good game. He's clearly playing below his level because of times he plays important passes.

So the big two aren't doing as well as they could be, but Samuel is looking like the player we all hoped he'd be and the centre backs are doing very well (albeit at a low level).

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Mar 2015 14:28

Stuart Moore was MOTM for B'stoke on Saturday, it turns out. Several good saves. Dickie described as their "best defender".

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Mar 2015 12:36

Samuel remains in rich goalscoring form, and Tanner looks to be joining him. Unlucky to see a goal resulting from his shot credited as an Own Goal, and also very nearly scored from a free kick.

Tshibola had a couple of long range efforts for Hartlepool but neither hit the target.

Last week, Dickie hit the bar with a header. This week, he was lucky not to be at fault for a goal after getting skinned, but Moore made a fantastic save.

George McClennan's Hayes and Yeading played Dom Hyam's Hemel Hempstead. McClennan played left wing and scored on debut. Hemel won 4-2.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Mar 2015 13:25

Tanner starting to settle in to league football

http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/article/neal-hails-craigs-impact-2350529.aspx

Fans very complimentary too

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Mar 2015 13:32

winchester_royal Tanner starting to settle in to league football

http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/article/neal-hails-craigs-impact-2350529.aspx

“Craig is so talented, but it was his work ethic that stood out today. He never stopped running in the first half and he was the same in the second half. I told him afterwards that if he keeps playing like that then he can play at any level.”
Read more at http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/arti ... 2JGWuD1.99

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 22 Mar 2015 14:35

Thanks for the updates Sciag

mambo3

by mambo3 » 22 Mar 2015 22:20

winchester_royal Tanner starting to settle in to league football

Hopefully he should come Back and fit straight into readings 1st Team if he keeps playing the way he is. Top player

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 23 Mar 2015 00:05

I wonder if next season may prove to be too soon for Tanner, generally the players that have come through usually have a stint at the division below before breaking into the first team, could be a good shot for Samuel next season in that regard.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Mar 2015 10:42

tidus_mi2 I wonder if next season may prove to be too soon for Tanner, generally the players that have come through usually have a stint at the division below before breaking into the first team, could be a good shot for Samuel next season in that regard.

I don't think you can make those kinds of generalisations. Lots of players play in the Championship without playing in League One.

To be honest, I think Tanner's loan spell has just proven that Adkins was right to avoid loaning players out who don't fit into a traditional 4-4-2. It didn't work with Bell-Baggie or Taylor or D'Ath (who is now playing two divisions below where he should be). Let's stick him straight in the first team, in a role that suits him, rather than sending him to feed off Akinfenwa's flick ons or hug the touchline.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 23 Mar 2015 11:02

SCIAG
tidus_mi2 I wonder if next season may prove to be too soon for Tanner, generally the players that have come through usually have a stint at the division below before breaking into the first team, could be a good shot for Samuel next season in that regard.

I don't think you can make those kinds of generalisations. Lots of players play in the Championship without playing in League One.

To be honest, I think Tanner's loan spell has just proven that Adkins was right to avoid loaning players out who don't fit into a traditional 4-4-2. It didn't work with Bell-Baggie or Taylor or D'Ath (who is now playing two divisions below where he should be). Let's stick him straight in the first team, in a role that suits him, rather than sending him to feed off Akinfenwa's flick ons or hug the touchline.

Can't I make those generalisations? Every youth player that has eventually broken into our first team has had loan spells elsewhere to aid in their development.

As our academy improves I could definitely see our players breaking into the first team without having to have loan spells elsewhere first but I don't think we're there yet, despite being Cat 1 atm we're not really Cat 1, we're sort of halfway there and granted status based on the plans to improve our facilities. I'm sure if we carry those out we'll eventually be at the point where we'll be able to move youth players straight to the first team.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Mar 2015 11:09

There aren't many youngsters (proportionally speaking) who come through from any academy without dipping their toes in first team football a division or so below. Those that do are generally the very best.

SCIAG, interesting view on where to place players on loan. It's probably a bit difficult to send a player like Tanner out on loan to a decent standard and be comfortable that they'll play regularly in their best position (number 10 in his case from what I've seen) as that involves the club he's going to almost building their team and hopes around a pretty unproven loanee.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 23 Mar 2015 11:14

Hoop Blah There aren't many youngsters (proportionally speaking) who come through from any academy without dipping their toes in first team football a division or so below. Those that do are generally the very best.

SCIAG, interesting view on where to place players on loan. It's probably a bit difficult to send a player like Tanner out on loan to a decent standard and be comfortable that they'll play regularly in their best position (number 10 in his case from what I've seen) as that involves the club he's going to almost building their team and hopes around a pretty unproven loanee.

Tanner has done more that enough at Wimbledon to earn his place in Reading First Team next season, despite it only being League 2 football

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Mar 2015 11:46

SCIAG

Maybe he needs to be more adaptable. Hopefully he's learning from his experience playing off Akinfenwa at Wimbledon rather than closing his mind and saying "I can't play in this".

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Mar 2015 12:50

tidus_mi2 Can't I make those generalisations? Every youth player that has eventually broken into our first team has had loan spells elsewhere to aid in their development.

That doesn't show that loan spells are necessary, it just shows that we keep doing it. We can't know whether Karacan would have broken into our first team without going to Bournemouth - though for the record, I'm fairly sure he would have.

Jake Cooper hasn't had a loan, nor did Shane Long, nor has Aaron Kuhl. Ipswich didn't send Connor Wickham on loan either.

mambo3 Tanner has done more that enough at Wimbledon to earn his place in Reading First Team next season, despite it only being League 2 football

Not sure about that. I'm a big fan of Tanner (some might remember that I was calling for him to go in the first team in January), but by all accounts he's had a pretty crappy loan spell. In 10(1) appearances, he's scored one (uncredited) goal, and only had three good games. If he gets in our first team next season, it should be off the back of his performances for us, not Wimbledon.

sandman
SCIAG To be honest, I think Tanner's loan spell has just proven that Adkins was right to avoid loaning players out who don't fit into a traditional 4-4-2. It didn't work with Bell-Baggie or Taylor or D'Ath (who is now playing two divisions below where he should be). Let's stick him straight in the first team, in a role that suits him, rather than sending him to feed off Akinfenwa's flick ons or hug the touchline.

Maybe he needs to be more adaptable. Hopefully he's learning from his experience playing off Akinfenwa at Wimbledon rather than closing his mind and saying "I can't play in this".

The comments from the Wimbledon manager are promising but ultimately he's never going to be six foot tall, and it might not be the best use of his time to be learning to play that way.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 23 Mar 2015 13:03

SCIAG
tidus_mi2 Can't I make those generalisations? Every youth player that has eventually broken into our first team has had loan spells elsewhere to aid in their development.

That doesn't show that loan spells are necessary, it just shows that we keep doing it. We can't know whether Karacan would have broken into our first team without going to Bournemouth - though for the record, I'm fairly sure he would have.

Jake Cooper hasn't had a loan, nor did Shane Long, nor has Aaron Kuhl. Ipswich didn't send Connor Wickham on loan either.

mambo3 Tanner has done more that enough at Wimbledon to earn his place in Reading First Team next season, despite it only being League 2 football

Not sure about that. I'm a big fan of Tanner (some might remember that I was calling for him to go in the first team in January), but by all accounts he's had a pretty crappy loan spell. In 10(1) appearances, he's scored one (uncredited) goal, and only had three good games. If he gets in our first team next season, it should be off the back of his performances for us, not Wimbledon.

sandman
SCIAG To be honest, I think Tanner's loan spell has just proven that Adkins was right to avoid loaning players out who don't fit into a traditional 4-4-2. It didn't work with Bell-Baggie or Taylor or D'Ath (who is now playing two divisions below where he should be). Let's stick him straight in the first team, in a role that suits him, rather than sending him to feed off Akinfenwa's flick ons or hug the touchline.

The comments from the Wimbledon manager are promising but ultimately he's never going to be six foot tall, and it might not be the best use of his time to be learning to play that way.

I can't say I agree that he's had a crappy loan spell. Tanner is not an out an out striker like Samuel. He is very much a niche number 10. He's clearly got a lot of technical ability and is almost always involved in any positive moves. You also have to remember that he's playing in a system where I imagine the ball spends a lot of time in the clouds, which does not play to his strengths.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Mar 2015 13:10

Plymouth_Royal I can't say I agree that he's had a crappy loan spell. Tanner is not an out an out striker like Samuel. He is very much a niche number 10. He's clearly got a lot of technical ability and is almost always involved in any positive moves. You also have to remember that he's playing in a system where I imagine the ball spends a lot of time in the clouds, which does not play to his strengths.

You don't need to tell me these things. They don't mean he hasn't had a crappy loan spell, just that there are factors beyond his control at play.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 23 Mar 2015 13:50

SCIAG
Plymouth_Royal I can't say I agree that he's had a crappy loan spell. Tanner is not an out an out striker like Samuel. He is very much a niche number 10. He's clearly got a lot of technical ability and is almost always involved in any positive moves. You also have to remember that he's playing in a system where I imagine the ball spends a lot of time in the clouds, which does not play to his strengths.

You don't need to tell me these things. They don't mean he hasn't had a crappy loan spell, just that there are factors beyond his control at play.

Maybe we should build a Team around him to compliment is strengths

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 23 Mar 2015 14:06

Are you really suggesting we build a team around a player that's not even in the first team squad?

How bizarre.

220 posts