Evening all

ITFC_Keane

Evening all

by ITFC_Keane » 24 Jul 2013 20:31

I'll be coming to the SJM next Saturday, and bringing my mate, his dad and his dad's friend. We'd sort of like to stop and have lunch somewhere, but remembering the SJM from old, I'm not sure where's best. I'm sure there's a pub in the town which serves loads of real ales and has won CAMRA awards (The Feathers?) but the two older lads like 'English' food if possible, which means fish and chips, a carvery or a ploughmans, basically.

Can anyone recommend somewhere not far out of Reading for this sort of meal and a few pints please? I'm driving, so I'll be on the OJ and Lemonade...sigh.... :cry:

scumbag

Re: Evening all

by scumbag » 24 Jul 2013 20:35

The Three Guineas is attatched to Reading train station and is the designated away fans pub, check it out here along with menu;

http://www.three-guineas.co.uk/

ITFC_Keane

by ITFC_Keane » 24 Jul 2013 20:37

scumbag The Three Guineas is attatched to Reading train station and is the designated away fans pub, check it out here along with menu;

http://www.three-guineas.co.uk/

Thanks matey. Steak and Ale Pie eh? Mmm. That'll please.

Do you reckon if I rang them in advance we could order and pay so as not to wait too long?

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 24 Jul 2013 20:41

The three guineas is seriously expensive and I wouldn`t recommend anyone to line that assholes pockets, there are two good witherspoons pubs in the centre, cheap and decent grub, there is a shuttle bus outside the station that runs regular to the stadium. but if you are wearing your colours you maybe barred entry.

scumbag

by scumbag » 24 Jul 2013 20:41

Nothing wrong with trying i suppose, i've also just read on footballgroundguide.com that they sell 8 real ales and are in the CAMRA good beer guide so you can soak that up before to numb the pain at the game. :wink:

ITFC_Keane

by ITFC_Keane » 24 Jul 2013 20:55

windermere_royal The three guineas is seriously expensive and I wouldn`t recommend anyone to line that assholes pockets, there are two good witherspoons pubs in the centre, cheap and decent grub, there is a shuttle bus outside the station that runs regular to the stadium. but if you are wearing your colours you maybe barred entry.

Thanks, yeah we'll be wearing replica shirts (me and my mate will) and the two old'uns will probably wear Ipswich branded t-shirts.

Where's the best place to park? We ended up in some housing estate last time near the ground. Is that OK?

ITFC_Keane

by ITFC_Keane » 24 Jul 2013 21:00

scumbag Nothing wrong with trying i suppose, i've also just read on footballgroundguide.com that they sell 8 real ales and are in the CAMRA good beer guide so you can soak that up before to numb the pain at the game. :wink:

'Pain at the game' :D

I think we might surprise you. Gone are the days of our sh*t defence and comical goals against columns. Sir Mick wants the play-off's and we were playing some fantastic stuff in the back part of last season. I wanted this game later in the season, I'll admit, but maybe we might catch you still licking your wounds?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Jul 2013 21:01

Park in the Holiday Inn, you can have a few drinks in there as well, won't matter if you're wearing colours.

ITFC_Keane

by ITFC_Keane » 24 Jul 2013 21:03

Pepe the Horseman Park in the Holiday Inn, you can have a few drinks in there as well, won't matter if you're wearing colours.

Cheers. Will do. Oh and thanks for Tabby.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 24 Jul 2013 21:06

The World Turned Upside Down isn't far from the stadium. Literally 3 minutes walk away. Cheap carvery, friendly for away fans.

Effing Everton took the place over when they parked two Happy ALS coaches in the car park and weren't kicked out so I'm sure you will be welcome

ITFC_Keane

by ITFC_Keane » 24 Jul 2013 21:08

Reading4eva The World Turned Upside Down isn't far from the stadium. Literally 3 minutes walk away. Cheap carvery, friendly for away fans.

Effing Everton took the place over when they parked two Happy ALS coaches in the car park and weren't kicked out so I'm sure you will be welcome

Thanks, sounds exactly what the elder two are hoping for. I think we'll eat there. Can we leave the car in their car park for the match, do you know?

StevenKelliher

by StevenKelliher » 24 Jul 2013 21:29

ITFC_Keane
Reading4eva The World Turned Upside Down isn't far from the stadium. Literally 3 minutes walk away. Cheap carvery, friendly for away fans.

Thanks, sounds exactly what the elder two are hoping for. I think we'll eat there. Can we leave the car in their car park for the match, do you know?

For what you pay, the food is spot on. You won't get any trouble in there either. If it helps, the postcode for it is RG2 0JA. If you could PM the time you are looking at arriving and leaving, I have a property about 200 meters from the Pub and will speak to the tenants to see if they would have any issues with you parking in the drive way.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 24 Jul 2013 22:47

I also recommend the World Turned Upside Down. Started going there towards the end of last year after a friend suggested it and wondered why it had taken so long to discover it!

Going to the game next Sat so may see you there :wink:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Jul 2013 23:52

Since when is Sir John Madejski a "the"?

Unless you meant the Madejski Stadium, which I would abbreviate to "the MS" :wink:

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 25 Jul 2013 10:17

If driving, avoid the town centre and head to somewhere on the same side of town as the ground.

Personally, I'd recommend The Swan at Three Mile Cross - features in CAMRA's good beer guide for 2013 and does nifty, traditional food.

http://www.theswan-3mx.co.uk/Welcome.html

http://www.pub-explorer.com/berkshire/p ... ecross.htm

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 25 Jul 2013 10:19

ITFC_Keane Gone are the days of our sh*t defence

Haven't you got Khumalo?

Rob-Royal

by Rob-Royal » 25 Jul 2013 10:35

Big Foot If driving, avoid the town centre and head to somewhere on the same side of town as the ground.

Personally, I'd recommend The Swan at Three Mile Cross - features in CAMRA's good beer guide for 2013 and does nifty, traditional food.

Highly recommend this too, good old pub..traditonal food and large car park at back and if weather is decent has nice beer garden - easy to get to and as said avoids traffic and town centre completely. 20-30 minute walk to ground over M4 and avoids traffic after the game.....

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 25 Jul 2013 12:03

If you do go for the world turned upside down be advised to ignore scooby's suggestion that it is "literally 3 minutes walk from the ground" when considering when to head to the match

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Jul 2013 12:51

ITFC_Keane the two older lads like 'English' food if possible, which means fish and chips, a carvery or a ploughmans, basically.

http://www.sweeneyandtodd.co.uk/

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 25 Jul 2013 13:27

Rob-Royal
Big Foot If driving, avoid the town centre and head to somewhere on the same side of town as the ground.

Highly recommend this too, good old pub..traditonal food and large car park at back and if weather is decent has nice beer garden - easy to get to and as said avoids traffic and town centre completely. 20-30 minute walk to ground over M4 and avoids traffic after the game.....

+2. Always nice to see Timothy Taylor on offer.

Don't think the World Turned Upside Down has much of a selection of ales, if that's what you're looking for.