BFTG Swansea

Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

BFTG Swansea

by Binfield Royal » 27 Jul 2013 17:05

Well, we were well beaten but a tight, solid Swansea who will most likely not struggle in the PL this season. They certainly deserved their 3 goals, had the best of the possession and their one touch passing and vision for picking out a pass was IMHO where Adkins wants us to be and we are not there yet.

Some positives though. Drenthe is quick and stong on the ball and isn't shy about having a shot. Reminds you of Jimmy Floyd hasselbank in his heyday.

Guthrie was still influential, even against opposition far better than we are likely to play in the league. Bridge looks worth every penny of what we are paying him. Taylor looks ready for this league based on the 10 minutes Adkins gave him.

IMHO, we will be in the mix for promotion but I would like to see the passing tightened up but again, we won't play anyone as good as Swansea in the league so today was not a disaster.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Swansea

by Elm Park Kid » 27 Jul 2013 17:12

We still haven't scored at home under Adkins. I wonder if he even realizes that we have goal music??!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 27 Jul 2013 17:18

It was a very useful workout because Swansea were well up for it, what with them starting their European campaign on Thursday. A very cynical bunch, but they'll do well next season. We won't play against a team that presses anywhere near as well as they do, so there can't be too many conclusions drawn from the game imho. We'll see how things stand this time next week, but I'm still reasonable optimistic.

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 27 Jul 2013 17:39

2nd February ,last goal scored at home by a reading player, worrying.

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 27 Jul 2013 17:50

It was good to see us show some patience with possession, but we looked a lot less comfortable when we were closed down. Guthrie and Drenthe did well but both faded in the second half. Le Fondre is far too isolated up front on his own. This formation will not work for him, ever. Our movement off the ball was poor, and we are crying out for a creative midfielder and at least one striker, possibly two. Given that we were playing against a top seven Premiership side, we did alright. We wont come up many sides as good as them next season, so there's no reason to over-react; but we clearly have a lot of improving to do.

McCarthy - 8
Kelly - 4
Pearce - 5
Morrison - 6
Bridge - 6
McAnuff - 5
HRK - 5
Guthrie - 6
Karacan - 5
Drenthe - 6
Le Fondre - 4
Akpan - 6

I went with 10 minutes to go to beat the queue of cars leaving the car park.
Last edited by One8Seven1 on 27 Jul 2013 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 Jul 2013 17:50

winchester_royal It was a very useful workout because Swansea were well up for it, what with them starting their European campaign on Thursday. A very cynical bunch, but they'll do well next season. We won't play against a team that presses anywhere near as well as they do, so there can't be too many conclusions drawn from the game imho. We'll see how things stand this time next week, but I'm still reasonable optimistic.

I am too but he has to sort the final third issue, now that is a concern.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 27 Jul 2013 17:50

Boring game really - few positives

Guthrie looks to be key player for us - like the way he's always involved
Akpan looked sharp
Karacan in the holding role is better for him, he's not a forward thinking midfielder

Not convinced about Drenthe yet - running down a blind alley
We need a striker if we're gonna be playing 1 up front - ALF can't do it

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Jul 2013 17:52

I'm not going very worried about still not having scored a home goal given it's one pre-season game. Worry about it if we still haven't scored one since February by September.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Jul 2013 17:52

How was Akpan being played? He seems like he might be able to play a more attacking mid role to me

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 27 Jul 2013 17:54

paultheroyal
winchester_royal It was a very useful workout because Swansea were well up for it, what with them starting their European campaign on Thursday. A very cynical bunch, but they'll do well next season. We won't play against a team that presses anywhere near as well as they do, so there can't be too many conclusions drawn from the game imho. We'll see how things stand this time next week, but I'm still reasonable optimistic.

Agreed, we're missing a presence like Bony up front for our attacking 3 behind to play off.

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 27 Jul 2013 17:55

NewCorkSeth How was Akpan being played? He seems like he might be able to play a more attacking mid role to me

Looked like a right forward when he came on. Did well, got into some good positions and wanted the ball. Lack of movement around him for him to play the ball. Should have scored with a bullet header, great cross from Drenthe.

Drenthe's delivery is so much better than McAnuff's. Why is McAnuff still taking corners?

pbb2007

by pbb2007 » 27 Jul 2013 17:56

It reminds me when brendon Rogers was in charge change the system but look toothless up front. Hope some new strikers are on the cards.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Jul 2013 17:58

Im really excited by Akpans development! When he came in last season he really stepped up to the mark.. Seemed to want to find the net more than Guthrie and Karacan! and I hope hes hungry enough to challenge for a starting spot this season

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 27 Jul 2013 18:00

winchester_royal
paultheroyal

Agreed, we're missing a presence like Bony up front for our attacking 3 behind to play off.

He cost £12m though - thats why

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 27 Jul 2013 18:18

Swansea were different class today but it is good to see us trying to pass the ball. I thought Guthrie did well.

I think we are where we were with Rodgers but with a better squad.

Top 6 could be difficult this season but I want to see this new style work, so it may call for a some patience.

Can't wait for Ipswich next week.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 27 Jul 2013 18:30

To put this all in context the only Premiership team not to beat Championship opposition today was Hull, the others all winning by at least 2 goals. Leeds got spanked by a middling German team, and Wigan lost at home to Dundee United.

Pre-season results mean very little, there were a few positive signs in our play today, we were just sloppy in both boxes. We'll be fine.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 27 Jul 2013 18:35

pbb2007 It reminds me when brendon Rogers was in charge change the system but look toothless up front. Hope some new strikers are on the cards.

without any service, it doesn't matter how good your strikers are - they'll find it hard to score.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 27 Jul 2013 18:35

winchester_royal To put this all in context the only Premiership team not to beat Championship opposition today was Hull, the others all winning by at least 2 goals. Leeds got spanked by a middling German team, and Wigan lost at home to Dundee United.

Pre-season results mean very little, there were a few positive signs in our play today, we were just sloppy in both boxes. We'll be fine.

Cardiff drew with Cheltenham and Crawley beat Palace as well. Shows how much friendlies are important. :lol:

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 27 Jul 2013 18:39

Not a great game, but we did well enough, Swansea were just a different class. Drenthe impressed. Need a striker so badly.

Get Carter

by Get Carter » 27 Jul 2013 18:47

We were poor in defence & shot shy up front - nothing has changed other than the midfield
looks slightly better.
Yes, Swansea are a good team, but we drew 0-0 & 2-2 last season with them & we are
supposed to be improving under Adkins.
If we don't sign at least one quality striker, we are looking at bottom six not top six IMHO.
The Reading Way seems to be back after all.
It must be nearly 10 hours since Kebe scored against Sunderland.