Promoting from within.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

Re: Promoting from within.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 09 Aug 2013 15:56

Nothing wrong with a long-term view.

Get players on loan and if they're successful then you find yourself up the creek without a paddle - in a higher division but needing to buy a whole squad to have a chance of staying there. Similar to going up unexpectedly on the back of an inexplicable unbeaten run.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 09 Aug 2013 16:17

friday fan ...reaping in transfer fees (not yet this time so far)...

Brilliant!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Aug 2013 19:49

Every sentence is equally stunning imo.

Including the expectation of being slated.

I thought I was being vaguely humorous by obliging but it obviously fell spectacularly wide of the mark. I suppose I should apologise as I have no wish to drive anyone off the board but I guess the nobber in question won't see it due to dramatic flounce.

Oh well, life goes on.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Aug 2013 21:50

There is a breed of poster on here who constantly bemoans the lack of reasoned "intelligent" debate yet flounce off in a huff the moment someone expresses an opinion contrary to theirs or challenges their more outlandish outpourings, usually accompanied by an accusation of bullying and a flurry of insults. I mean, I get called a moron and a dick for suggesting someone's former playing ability is not reason enough to question their potential management ability. Where's the reasoned, intelligent debate in that?

Seems they want to have their cake and eat it. "I want reasoned, intelligent debate, but only if it reflects my viewpoint".

The way I see it, discussions on a football forum are no different to a football discussion down the pub with about the same level of stark analytical thought. The insults don't bother me because I don't think enough of said poster's opinion to be bothered by it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Aug 2013 00:29

I love the way some people think that they should be able to hold and express any opinion they like no matter how ill-informed, but someone else isn't allowed to express theirs, if that opinion is that the first person's opinion is utter toss.

The hypocritical toddler tantrum in this flounce is both amusing and rather pathetic.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 10 Aug 2013 08:56

friday fan we need a good striker and spend to succeed.

its something most of us would like to see, but i challenge the assertion you make.
it really isnt necessarily so. we got up last time with no prolific striker, and both times without significant spend

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 10 Aug 2013 08:57

l0y4l R0y4l
friday fan it still smacks of Sir John's philosophy, we need a good striker and spend to succeed. We have parachute payments and could do with some experience and flair to be honest. Will we go through the season saving the parachute payments, I believe so as nothing has changed has it? To be honest I'm sick of Reading FC doing things on the cheap, reaping in transfer fees (not yet this time so far), season tickets sales and merchandise. Every club needs a star player and from the 3 we've got so far they don't fit the bill. We should have been hammering Bristol City then Rovers and at least had a closer game against Swansea. I'm not a doom and gloom merchant but in reality when the window closes all we have to look forward to is the inflated transfers in the January window. probably going to get slated for this comment but its more of the same ie freebies and youth promotion, I look forward to the day when we might, just might, spend some decent money and shock the world with signing someone exceptional to show real intent.

No the philosophy hasn't changed since the Madejski days in my opinion too.

Neither has this forum changed, as you can tell I average under two posts a year. I have seen the decline as an observer, I just check newsnow.com whenever I want to know something about the club. I loathe to spend my hours on here reading utter sh*te.

:lol: does rather beg the question- why do you bother then?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 10 Aug 2013 08:58

Hendo I was thinking more :roll:

And a big oxf*rd LOL at Reading shocking the world on any transfer. What sort of signing do you think would shock the world? I would say we were pretty anonymous on the world scale, so if you are looking for that type of signing, go and support someone else because we aren't going to be anywhere near that for at least 5-7 years.

if we signed a dinosaur, or an alien, THAT would shock the world

royalfanforever

by royalfanforever » 10 Aug 2013 13:57

If John Madejski was in charge still, would the former Real Madrid come to us? The answer is no as we wouldn't be wanting to spend the money, and that is the old way and we don't do that anymore.