Opposition fans back from the game

4486 posts
Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by Royalwaster » 30 Jan 2021 11:46

exileinleeds
Royalwaster Pretty decent match report here:
https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/match-report-v-reading.13317/

Followed by some comments - no tinpot club ones - but one that said: "BTW - well done Reading ... lively, skilful and committed."

Agreed. Some absolutely fabulous lines- Solanke getting a peach of a cross, but doesn't like fruit....

I liked the bit about holograms ...

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 30 Jan 2021 12:17

I can't see a team like Bournemouth throwing out "tinpot" comments as they have a very similar history to our own, bumbling around in the lower two divisions of the Football League.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jan 2021 12:54

tidus_mi2 I can't see a team like Bournemouth throwing out "tinpot" comments as they have a very similar history to our own, bumbling around in the lower two divisions of the Football League.

When did that stop Brighton?

Maybe Brentford?

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 30 Jan 2021 13:03

From Despair To Where? Someone did reply to that asking if they were watching the same game.

I do get the impression that some are trying to rekindle a rivalry, that from our standpoint, never existed in the first place

It’s quite sweet really. Some on there really seem to hate us from old Division 3 days of the 70s and 80s, and really bizarrely seem to consider calling us “the biscuits” is massively insulting to us. I much prefer that to being called The Royals, would be happy if we went back to being the Biscuitmen personally.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 30 Jan 2021 13:06

Other than that bit of weirdness, their fans seem a decent bunch and have also now experienced the all that glitters is probably a dog turd rolled in glitter world of the Premier League isn’t all it is cracked up to be unless you support one of the so called big four closed shop.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 30 Jan 2021 13:11

Somebody on facebook last night suggested Bournemouth were a bigger club than us, I don`t normally get into debates about whos bigger than anyone else but I replied.
"With your shitty 11.000 capacity stadium, yea massive" he replied they spent more years in the premier league so they must be bigger, a rib tickler,

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jan 2021 13:13

windermereROYAL Somebody on facebook last night suggested Bournemouth were a bigger club than us, I don`t normally get into debates about whos bigger than anyone else but I replied.
"With your shitty 11.000 capacity stadium, yea massive" he replied they spent more years in the premier league so they must be bigger, a rib tickler,

Does anyone actually care about this ‘bigger club’ nonsense. I really am not bothered about whether we are ‘bigger’ than Stoke, or Derby , or Burton. It is literally of no importance. As long as we are above another team I’m happy. Whether they get 1000 more fans to home games or won they FA Cup in 1936 is of no concern.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Jan 2021 13:16

Nameless
windermereROYAL Somebody on facebook last night suggested Bournemouth were a bigger club than us, I don`t normally get into debates about whos bigger than anyone else but I replied.

Does anyone actually care about this ‘bigger club’ nonsense. I really am not bothered about whether we are ‘bigger’ than Stoke, or Derby , or Burton. It is literally of no importance. As long as we are above another team I’m happy. Whether they get 1000 more fans to home games or won they FA Cup in 1936 is of no concern.

It's a go-to for teams that have generally done fcuk all for the past 20 years. Forest, Sheff Wed, Leeds before last season.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jan 2021 13:20

Pepe the Horseman
Nameless

It's a go-to for teams that have generally done fcuk all for the past 20 years. Forest, Sheff Wed, Leeds before last season.

Actuallynthe one time I like the ‘bigger club’ stuff is when it comes from a Derby / Forest type club at the wrong end of the division who we have just wiped the floor with.
Ok guys, you are a much bigger club than us. And we STILL beat yiu comfortably....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jan 2021 22:54

Did you remind them they've also spent longer in the bottom flight, been there more recently, and spent considerably less time in the second tier, I believe?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jan 2021 23:44

Snowflake Royal

Did you remind them they've also spent longer in the bottom flight, been there more recently, and spent considerably less time in the second tier, I believe?

While congratulating them on having more seasons in the Prem than us I wonder if they have ever finished higher in that league than our best of 8th ?
Alaso whether they have ever achieved more than our best points haulof 55 ?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 31 Jan 2021 11:52

Snowflake Royal

Yes and it went unanswered.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jan 2021 12:11

windermereROYAL
Snowflake Royal

Yes and it went unanswered.

Oh well, reasonable chance we can catch up to them on the PL seasons, so bank it.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 31 Jan 2021 13:57

Whilst this whole "bigger" club arguement doesn't usually bother me, as the clubs who usually play that card at least have something to back it up like bigger crowds or a history of winning trophies, to hear it from Bournemouth is laughable when they would struggle to win that arguement with half of League 1.

In the past 12 years, we've spent more time in the top 2 divisions than they have in their history.

On a more serious note, this season is shit or bust for them.

Always wary of figures on the Internet but, if accurate, this makes for sober reading for a club with an 11,000 capacity: source Sportrac.com and Transfermarkt

Begovic £70,000/wk til June 21
Lerma £50,000/wk til June 23
S Cook £45,000/wk til June 21
King £45,000/wk til June 21
Solanke £40,000/wk June 22
L Cook £35,000/wk til June 22
A Smith £35,000/wk til June 21
Stanislaus £35,000/wk til June 21
Danjuna £22,000/wk til June 24
Brooks £20,000/wk til June 22
Rico £20,000/wk til June 22
Billing £15,000/wk til June 24
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 31 Jan 2021 14:26, edited 1 time in total.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 31 Jan 2021 14:16

Mr Optimist
From Despair To Where? Someone did reply to that asking if they were watching the same game.

I do get the impression that some are trying to rekindle a rivalry, that from our standpoint, never existed in the first place

It’s quite sweet really. Some on there really seem to hate us from old Division 3 days of the 70s and 80s, and really bizarrely seem to consider calling us “the biscuits” is massively insulting to us. I much prefer that to being called The Royals, would be happy if we went back to being the Biscuitmen personally.

Same here-have never liked being a Royal.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 31 Jan 2021 14:17

Snowflake Royal
tidus_mi2 I can't see a team like Bournemouth throwing out "tinpot" comments as they have a very similar history to our own, bumbling around in the lower two divisions of the Football League.

When did that stop Brighton?

Maybe Brentford?

Brentford love to use it because they thought they were a proper team with a proper old fashioned stadium. Now they play in a fcuking community centre :lol:

I respect what the club has done with their recruitment, and they’ve consistently played nice exciting football for years now, but some of their fans are over-entitled, delusional twats.

No change to any other club I suppose.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 31 Jan 2021 14:31

From Despair To Where? Whilst this whole "bigger" club arguement doesn't usually bother me, as the clubs who usually play that card at least have something to back it up like bigger crowds or a history of winning trophies, to hear it from Bournemouth is laughable when they would struggle to win that arguement with half of League 1.

In the past 12 years, we've spent more time in the top 2 divisions than they have in their history.

Most of the fans down here have lived the dream of the past 5 years and know that it could only ever be temporary, so just enjoyed it.
As with all clubs some fans have this hang up about size of club but I have never heard any Bournemouth supporter suggest they they are bigger than Reading.
It's probably some little kids talking to our little kids.

The irony though is that they used to enviously refer to us as big spenders (from the Burns, Pardew times when we were the biggest spenders in Div 1) and yet they ended up spending small fortunes when they got to the Premier League and were heavily fined under FFP for overspending in getting there.

As with some of the other posters I don't get this stuff about any club being bigger than another however I do have a bit of sympathy for fans of clubs like Forest , twice European Cup winners having to watch the football in The Championship which let's face it generally is crap (e.g. yesterday Forest 0 Barnsley )when they for years watched top grade football.

I use Forest as an example because a good mate is a Forest fan who travels up to every home game from Bournemouth but on days like yesterday was probably glad about lockdown.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 31 Jan 2021 14:44

Living where I do, surrounded by Forest, Derby, Blades, Wednesday and Leeds fans, the bigger club argument is all I ever hear! It bores me to Oxf**d! The Forest fans too young to have seen the European Cup wins are a particular favourite of mine. Fan-base wise, they have more fans than we do, obviously. However, none of those clubs can honestly argue they have been significantly more successful than us in the last 20 years! Leeds and the Blades are currently a division above us, but I hope that will have changed by May...and I’d love to see Forest, Wednesday and Derby go down! However, I think I may to settle for 2 of those 3!! :lol:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 31 Jan 2021 14:47

Hot take: the only sense it makes sense to talk about being a “bigger club” is how attractive you are to potential players. If a player moved between your clubs, in which direction would it be a step up - or would it be a sideways step either way?

Bournemouth are therefore a bigger club than Nottingham Forest.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 31 Jan 2021 14:48

Part of me doesn't mind clubs spending big but I do believe it needs to be to scale. Taking us as an example, our big spending League 2 days under Pardew were largely sustainable, we were paying League 1 wages on league 1 resources and revenues in league 2. We only got into trouble by spending money we didn't have under Zingarovich and then borrowing against future parachute payments, which is a fcuking dumb thing to do. Its basically what fcuked Leeds up.

A club paying a player £70,000 a week on crowds of 10,000 is clearly bonkers even with TV money, especially when their nett transfer spend over 5 years in the Premiership was on par with Liverpool's.

4486 posts