4486 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Aug 2022 13:06

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Not sure why there is a big fuss about Boro being potential promotion contenders, spent a fair bit of money yes but their team isn't actually all that really, just on the flip side to us seemingly being one of certainties to go down. Of course we will be in June with 12 players under our belts, but maybe not when we get a good squad of players together, which we're managing to do slowly.

I think its because they just missed the play offs last season and the division looks pretty average. Huddersfield looked in trouble in preseason, so that's one of last season’s top teams out of the running as well.

Sheff Utd are looking useful at the moment, esp. given they have a good few players crocked.

Yep. I fancied them I think..

Halfway to an update on how everyone's table predictions are looking early on. I don’t think I'll be doing great.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 21 Aug 2022 13:28

Snowflake Royal Said in the match thread, how often do you see two games in a row where the oppo manager makes a HT tactical triple sub.

Yeah, now there's 5 available it'll be more common, but still a testament to how well we nullified the game plan of Blackburn and Middlesbrough. And we did it playing differently in each game.

That's impressive.

They made 2 changes, but yes both were to make tactical changes.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Aug 2022 16:36

Tails
Snowflake Royal Said in the match thread, how often do you see two games in a row where the oppo manager makes a HT tactical triple sub.

Yeah, now there's 5 available it'll be more common, but still a testament to how well we nullified the game plan of Blackburn and Middlesbrough. And we did it playing differently in each game.

That's impressive.

Could have sworn Dim said a triple sub. Typically I checked the Blackburn one to be sure I remembered right, not the Boro one. :lol:

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 21 Aug 2022 16:59

Snowflake Royal
Tails

That's impressive.

Could have sworn Dim said a triple sub. Typically I checked the Blackburn one to be sure I remembered right, not the Boro one. :lol:

Trusting in Dim, was your mistake there :lol: :wink:

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 21 Aug 2022 17:10

Tails
Snowflake Royal
Tails

Trusting in Dim, was your mistake there :lol: :wink:

Tim did say triple for Blackburn and double for 'Boro and read out the names for both matches.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Aug 2022 21:15

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Boro very much playing like if they just passed long enough, something would fall in their lap.

And tbf, Watmore should have at least seriously tested Bouzanis twice when he missed the target, if not out right scored.

Not sure why there is a big fuss about Boro being potential promotion contenders, spent a fair bit of money yes but their team isn't actually all that really, just on the flip side to us seemingly being one of certainties to go down. Of course we will be in June with 12 players under our belts, but maybe not when we get a good squad of players together, which we're managing to do slowly.

I think its because they just missed the play offs last season and the division looks pretty average. Huddersfield looked in trouble in preseason, so that's one of last season’s top teams out of the running as well.

True there is a fair bit of dross in this league, going to be another open one I think as the current table may suggest (but I'd bet Millwall still finish between 8th and 10th).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Aug 2022 21:18

I really think it is an average division this year. No great teams, quite a few strongish teams, no real weak ones

Tough year to predict. Pretty unimpressed with the teams we’ve played so far (though only watched the home games)

Would expect the likes of Norwich, Watford and WBA will occupy the top 7 merely by having a bit more quality and depth throughout, but all very beatable

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 21 Aug 2022 21:35

Hound I really think it is an average division this year. No great teams, quite a few strongish teams, no real weak ones

Tough year to predict. Pretty unimpressed with the teams we’ve played so far (though only watched the home games)

Would expect the likes of Norwich, Watford and WBA will occupy the top 7 merely by having a bit more quality and depth throughout, but all very beatable

Agree. A lot of our better players made sideway moves, can only assume a few other exist elsewhere in the league. No team seemed to strengthen significantly. Seems the most even we've had in many a year.

I think this is going to be a fun season.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 21 Aug 2022 22:12

As annoying as the likes of Tim Dellor etc are he seems to annoy the opposition fans a lot more than he annoys us :lol:

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 Aug 2022 07:10

TiagoIlori As annoying as the likes of Tim Dellor etc are he seems to annoy the opposition fans a lot more than he annoys us :lol:

They must be unbelievably annoyed :shock:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 22 Aug 2022 09:39

Reading sat back after scoring and said to us ‘ show us what you got”! Easiest win they will get all season.

Reading were also intent on not conceding. They on the edge of their box in two compact lines and squeezed whichever side of the pitch the ball was on. This made for a very dull first 20 minutes.

we were so cowardly the first half hour. safe passing over and over. everyone doing the same thing. pass backwards and sideways with taking a risk. it was like watching england

was just mental, loads of stray passes and to be honest in the second half we were a much better team than them. Reading didn’t really offer much in the 2nd half.

Reading were not that good themselves

I would also say we didn't really deserve to lose. If anything we were probably the better side and I think a draw would have been fair.

What a soulless place and setting for the stadium, felt like Doncaster just carriageways and roundabouts. Must be really depressing in January.

It was quite embarrassing losing to a side who couldnt string two passes together second half

reading were beyond sh1te

It's not like Reading created much at all but then they didn't in the second half either, so that was probably more to do with their lack of attacking ambition than our defensive solidity.

We got done by a team who had 1 shot and had 10 men behind the ball in a low block for 90 minutes

We still had some half chances in amongst that but a bit of a freak goal, another like midweek you can't legislate against, gives Reading an extra 2 points to defend.

we didn't look brilliant, although Readings tactics were to just block

The Reading players celebrate like Faroe Islands celebrating a Draw v Scotland

Reading had absolutely nothing going forward except that one freak goal and a few half chances before that

Should have got something here, should have known what was coming when I saw Wilder had never dropped points to Reading before

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Aug 2022 09:47

paultheroyal
What a soulless place and setting for the stadium, felt like Doncaster just carriageways and roundabouts. Must be really depressing in January.

oxf*rd lol. Compared to Middlesborough?

Bore off telling others how to celebrate 3 points.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 22 Aug 2022 11:17

Hendo
paultheroyal

Indeed, can't remember a time the 'ding has been used as the inspiration for a dystopian future world

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Aug 2022 12:36

Hendo
paultheroyal

Bore off telling others how to celebrate 3 points.

Donny have a great little ground wgaf whether the stadium is surrounded by dual carriageways and roundabouts, shitty little terraced hellholes or an industrial estate.. you go for what's on the pitch not the view outside.

Although the view on the pitvh for them was dreadful so I don’t blame them looking elsewhere.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Aug 2022 12:46

LOL at Boro comparing themselves to Scotland.
Talk about setting your sights low….

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Aug 2022 13:18

Isn’t everywhere (in the uk) depressing in January?

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 22 Aug 2022 14:15

Hound Isn’t everywhere (in the uk) depressing in January?

I had a lovely weekend on the North Yorks Coast in January 2022 - cold but blue skies, fresh air, great walks, food & places to visit...... then Sat pm I left for Mordor, where a grey smog decended, depressing doesn't even start to describe it for the 250 souls shivering in one corner.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Aug 2022 14:20

SWLR
Hound Isn’t everywhere (in the uk) depressing in January?

I had a lovely weekend on the North Yorks Coast in January 2022 - cold but blue skies, fresh air, great walks, food & places to visit...... then Sat pm I left for Mordor, where a grey smog decended, depressing doesn't even start to describe it for the 250 souls shivering in one corner.

I`m going to find somewhere warm, but it will probably take a very long plane ride to do it.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 22 Aug 2022 14:28

I genuinely love it how annoyed and obsessed the oppo fans get with our stadium. Too many roads and roundabouts is a new one though. Do they live in a Hovis advert?

I always find you make your own atmosphere, if you get so pent up about getting a taxi / bus to a stadium that it makes your day out a bad one then maybe its you thats the issue and not the location of a football ground.

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 22 Aug 2022 14:35

Find me somewhere in Reading (or any) town centre where you could build a totally brand new 20k+ seater stadium.

4486 posts